Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 19:16   #2281
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Guys, does COSWORTH sell air filters for the Polo officially in India? Found this on eBay: COSWORTH - STOCK FILTER VW POLO/ FABIA 1.2L PETROL | eBay
Old 13th October 2011, 23:50   #2282
BHPian

Congratulations @H4ck3R on your new ride, wish you many happy miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4ck3R View Post
I vouch for your tank showing full for longer time. I drove the car for 150 kms and the tank was still showing full I wish I had a car like that :P
Max. I filled till date in the last 1 yr, 39.xx ltrs with the last bar remaining in the fuel mtr, so 50ltrs is a classic case of cheating by the fuel station guys. With auto-cut off, max. I got driving in 95% highway before the full tank (last bar in the fuel mtr) disappeared is 138km (auto cut - off), so 150kms of h/w drive and fueled post auto cut-off is very good, IMO.

Quote:
Anyways Guys, here I am with some more problems:

Same rattling issue still persists. I got it checked again today.. and the Workshop guy told me its normal. I don't think it is. There is definitely some noise coming from under the hood.
No noise in any new car can be normal, IMO !

Not clear though, what kind of noise you are getting to hear, but if its rattling, then definitely something need attention, don't go by these SAs in the dealerships, they have a sweet tongue and say whatever is required to confuse and convince the customer. Rattling noise is the least mentioned problem in Polo as per Team-BHP reviews.

Quote:
I need some suggestions/clarifications on a very important topic. What do you guys think is the optimum distance for halting a car running at a speed or say over 110-120 kmph. I went to my friend's wedding yesterday in Bhiwani from Gurgaon via Jhajjar. OMG the road was awesome but there were around 50 odd speed brakers in that 120kms strech. My POLO jumped thrice on those brakers :( I have been taken care of this car very nicely but those speed brakers were like mountains on the road. Would there have been any damages? I checked under the car there were no visible marks. How can I check if there has been any damages on suspension/shocker? Do you feel POLO's brakes are a little slippery. I mean I used to drive Wagon R and never came across any such issue. Wagon R used to skid only rarely. But yesterday, It happened almost at every Speed braker with the POLO.. I think POLO does not like speed brakers at all. either it touches the braker from bottom or jumps over it.. I don't know what to say.. Whenever I apply brakes the car keeps dragging for around 40-50 mtrs and when I see its not going to stop and I press the brakes harder and then the car skids and eventually jumps over the braker. After jumping twice I realized its better to skid rather than jumping the car in the air :( don't know what to do. I definitely need some expert advice on it because I can't drive POLO like this. I need to apply brakes and one should be able to stop a car over 100 kmph easily in these braker like situations.
Never measured the distance after using brake in these speeds ( >100kmph), but Polo never skidded or floated when applying brakes at high speeds. Please do not take it as a gyan, but sometimes its good to apply brakes intermittently rather continuously, provided the target distance to halt the car is enough.

Quote:
Mud flaps touch even a small braker each and every time. Any solution to that.. I am going to get them removed as of now. I can't afford a loose bumber.
Once I start from my apt. parking place, there are 23 speed breakers (with all possible size and shape) in the first ~2kms, the car under-body or the front part never bottomed out. The mud-flaps too never touched these speed breakers, may be you can try reducing the speed depending on the size of the speed breaker and observe.

Quote:
Finally the Big one. Remember my last post. About the fuel. So in around 48-50 ltr petrol I have been able to run 550kms. So I am getting around 10-11 average. These 550 kms have been 80% on highway, with 50% AC. Is it fine guys? To me its pretty disgusting.

PS : My POLO is still a virgin I guess just ran 1500 kms
It cannot be. I guess you better try another fuel station and note the mileage. Polo Petrol in City averages ~ 13.5 - 13.75kn/ltr for me, I am sure with 80% h/w it should be at least 20% more if not more than that.
I can understand the mileage depends on so many factors like road/traffic condition/driving style etc, but still with 80% h/w drive this is very low.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 13th October 2011 at 23:51.
Old 14th October 2011, 01:47   #2283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Nope. You cannot get ABS or Airbags fitted aftermarket or as a custom order.
Why not for us. If its avaiable in Europeon Market then why not India?
Old 14th October 2011, 09:22   #2284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Congratulations @H4ck3R on your new ride, wish you many happy miles.

Thanks for the wishes I badly need them :(

Max. I filled till date in the last 1 yr, 39.xx ltrs with the last bar remaining in the fuel mtr, so 50ltrs is a classic case of cheating by the fuel station guys. With auto-cut off, max. I got driving in 95% highway before the full tank (last bar in the fuel mtr) disappeared is 138km (auto cut - off), so 150kms of h/w drive and fueled post auto cut-off is very good, IMO.

No noise in any new car can be normal, IMO !

Not clear though, what kind of noise you are getting to hear, but if its rattling, then definitely something need attention, don't go by these SAs in the dealerships, they have a sweet tongue and say whatever is required to confuse and convince the customer. Rattling noise is the least mentioned problem in Polo as per Team-BHP reviews.

Don't know exactly but it sounds like something loose and its like banging into something else and making sound.

Never measured the distance after using brake in these speeds ( >100kmph), but Polo never skidded or floated when applying brakes at high speeds. Please do not take it as a gyan, but sometimes its good to apply brakes intermittently rather continuously, provided the target distance to halt the car is enough.

Well I meant that I tried every possible style of breaking because there were so many of them and I could do hit and trial kinda thing

Once I start from my apt. parking place, there are 23 speed breakers (with all possible size and shape) in the first ~2kms, the car under-body or the front part never bottomed out. The mud-flaps too never touched these speed breakers, may be you can try reducing the speed depending on the size of the speed breaker and observe.

perhaps this picture might show you what I am trying to say. Now imagine the mud flap below and the speed breaker a little higher and considering the jump the car gets after the tires passing the breaker. I kind of feel its a geomatrically proven fact that the mudflaps would end up touching a breaker every now and then. May be others can also shed some light on this topic.

It cannot be. I guess you better try another fuel station and note the mileage. Polo Petrol in City averages ~ 13.5 - 13.75kn/ltr for me, I am sure with 80% h/w it should be at least 20% more if not more than that.
I can understand the mileage depends on so many factors like road/traffic condition/driving style etc, but still with 80% h/w drive this is very low.

Ya I guess changing the petrol pump is what I am going to do. Anyone suggest an honest petrol pump around north, central and north delhi.
See my reply in bold. Thanks - Kuldeep
Old 17th October 2011, 18:10   #2285
BHPian

Quote:

I need some suggestions/clarifications on a very important topic. What do you guys think is the optimum distance for halting a car running at a speed or say over 110-120 kmph. I went to my friend's wedding yesterday in Bhiwani from Gurgaon via Jhajjar. OMG the road was awesome but there were around 50 odd speed brakers in that 120kms strech. My POLO jumped thrice on those brakers :( I have been taken care of this car very nicely but those speed brakers were like mountains on the road. Would there have been any damages? I checked under the car there were no visible marks. How can I check if there has been any damages on suspension/shocker? Do you feel POLO's brakes are a little slippery. I mean I used to drive Wagon R and never came across any such issue. Wagon R used to skid only rarely. But yesterday, It happened almost at every Speed braker with the POLO.. I think POLO does not like speed brakers at all. either it touches the braker from bottom or jumps over it.. I don't know what to say.. Whenever I apply brakes the car keeps dragging for around 40-50 mtrs and when I see its not going to stop and I press the brakes harder and then the car skids and eventually jumps over the braker. After jumping twice I realized its better to skid rather than jumping the car in the air :( don't know what to do. I definitely need some expert advice on it because I can't drive POLO like this. I need to apply brakes and one should be able to stop a car over 100 kmph easily in these braker like situations.
Traveling at 100 kmph you car is covering more than 27 meters (90 ft) per second. Looking at the response time of the driver and braking ability (Generally little more or same as acceleration. Mods: please correct me if I am wrong) it will need approx 5 to 6 seconds for a car to come to complete halt. That means approx 80~90 meters (300 ft) is the distance needed to stop. This distance increases in geometric progression with the speed. For Car traveling at 80 kmph the distance may be 50 odd meters. At 40 kmph you can stop within 20 meters flat.

That's why they say.. always keep watch at what is happening on road within 300 meters of either side of your vehicle (Front rear and both sides). In UAE during driving license test they fail you if you miss looking at all three rear view mirrors every 5 seconds.

As for Polo brakes, I find them to be very good, at least for Highline model, where they are fitted with ABS. They are predictable and car does not loose its trajectory.

Not tried Wagon R but Polo brakes are much better and reliable than Swift (with ABS), Zen, Alto, slightly better than Palio (without ABS). Have you ever driven Premier Padmini? Try its brakes and you will realise how blessed we are.
Old 17th October 2011, 19:00   #2286

Took a test drive of 1.2 petrol version, damn hated the noise that was coming inside the car of the engine.. The test drive car had done just 5000km ... The sales person said its made to sound like that to give a sporty feelin :-/

Polo owners pls shed some light.
Old 17th October 2011, 20:12   #2287
BHPian

Quote:

PS : My POLO is still a virgin I guess just ran 1500 kms
Which tyres did you get with your polo? I faced the same dilemma with my polo too, the braking distance was pathetic! I actually had to plan in advance to brake effectively. Then it struck to me that the problem could be the MRF tyres that came with my car. At about 1000kms I changed them to Michelin xm1 + and upgraded the tyre profile to 185/65 14' on stock steel rims. The result is confident braking at your command and no more guess work. I was so used to my honda typeII and getz braking which used to stop on a dime, that this poor braking came as a shock to me. So please upgrade your tyres as soon as possible (especially if you dont have ABS) so that you dont rear end anyone in the future
Old 18th October 2011, 10:56   #2288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastraj View Post
Which tyres did you get with your polo? I faced the same dilemma with my polo too, the braking distance was pathetic! I actually had to plan in advance to brake effectively. Then it struck to me that the problem could be the MRF tyres that came with my car. At about 1000kms I changed them to Michelin xm1 + and upgraded the tyre profile to 185/65 14' on stock steel rims. The result is confident braking at your command and no more guess work. I was so used to my honda typeII and getz braking which used to stop on a dime, that this poor braking came as a shock to me. So please upgrade your tyres as soon as possible (especially if you dont have ABS) so that you dont rear end anyone in the future
Thanks for the tip. I guess it is the only logical answer to my question.

Would any other polo owner want to add anything to it?
Old 20th October 2011, 00:54   #2289

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I guess it is the only logical answer to my question.

Would any other polo owner want to add anything to it?

I've got the 1.2 as well,was'nt very happy with the braking but its much better now with larger tires.Changed the tires as i installed larger alloys recently.I am very happy with the vehicle though, and ive been patting my own back for sometime now with the decision to go for petrol.I was only concerned about the mileage and its giving me 12-13 in city easily,if not more.Cannot say the same for my 1.4 punto as ive been kicking myself in the backside ever since i got it
anyways don't want to veer off topic.
Old 27th October 2011, 12:19   #2290
BHPian

Yesterday test drove the polo diesel
I was quite happy with the sales reps effort. Earlier had gone for i20 test drive and was absolutely unhappy with their attitude so VW attitude was a pleasant suprise.
The test drive was good and felt quite happy with the overall feel and ride of polo. The major grouse was the feel of the brakes.
I want to go for the trendline trim due to budget constraints and would like to know if the brakes can be improved if i upsize the tyres with yokos or michelin
Thanks in advance
Old 27th October 2011, 22:30   #2291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemen
Yesterday test drove the polo diesel
I was quite happy with the sales reps effort. Earlier had gone for i20 test drive and was absolutely unhappy with their attitude so VW attitude was a pleasant suprise.
The test drive was good and felt quite happy with the overall feel and ride of polo. The major grouse was the feel of the brakes.
I want to go for the trendline trim due to budget constraints and would like to know if the brakes can be improved if i upsize the tyres with yokos or michelin
Thanks in advance
Yes braking performance improves greatly after change in tyres for the polo. I have myself upgraded to michelin because I too felt that polos braking was poor with stock mrf tyres.
Old 28th October 2011, 11:59   #2292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastraj

Yes braking performance improves greatly after change in tyres for the polo. I have myself upgraded to michelin because I too felt that polos braking was poor with stock mrf tyres.
Thanks fastraj

The test drive vehicle was a highline and a new car hardly 250kms old.

Is your polo a trendline or highline and what is your upgraded size.
Old 30th October 2011, 15:09   #2293

Hi

First post on team bhp! I've been following this forum for a while and love the wealth of information available on cars, especially w.r.t Indian conditions as I feel India is a stupid but special country with its absolutely unique requirements in everything be it cars, sports(our cricket team is definitely working on prayers), music, film etc

Would love your informed opinion on the situation posted below.

I've booked the new Swift VDI but due to the really long waiting period(and boot space) Im thinking of buying Polo TL tdi as its available readily. I liked the drive of the Polo, felt nice and mature like a bigger car.

I wanted to ask a couple of questions regarding the same:

1. Is it possible to get 60:40 split seats installed in the TL just like one can get the power windows installed later

2. I asked the sales person how much an average service would cost and his prompt answer was 4-5k. Usually I really wouldn't have doubted him but seeing the reports here it seems more in the range of 7-8k. This would definitely be a deal-breaker for me. So is the sales person just lying in order to get more customers?

Also, I was wondering how the Polo would fare in the long run. I know a few close friends who own the (old)swift and what I felt about it was that its one of those cars that u use and enjoy for 4-5 years and then sell it off since its got a good resale value and because it kinda never feels as good as new after a few years. Also I understand that the diesel mill is 3-pot but having no idea as to the consequences of the same in the long run, i'm confused as to what would be the issue. From the drive it felt quite refined, more than a Figo at idle(imo)

I've been reading all the threads available on the Polo. While some people have reported a service cost of <4k for petrol, I can see it can go as high as >11k for diesel. Now considering that diesel is slightly more I suppose its not hard to believe the salesmans quote of 4-5k per service.

I apologize for the really long post but I'm in quite the conundrum as I would love to own the car asap.

Thanks!
nigeltufnel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 11:32   #2294
Distinguished - BHPian

A special edition Polo has been launched in Austria.

Panoramic glass sunroof -

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-2011poloskysunroof.jpg

LED daytime running lights -

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-2011poloskyleds.jpg

Climatronic climate control & Pepper Grey Metallic centre console finish -

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-2011poloskyairconditioning.jpg

15 inch alloys (looks similar to the Vento's) -

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-2011poloskyalloywheel.jpg

in addition to rain sensors and "Livon" upholstery.

I have a feeling we will be seeing this special edition Polo in India soon.

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-2011polosky.jpg

Polo Sky - Ausstattungsvarianten - Polo - Modelle - Volkswagen Österreich
Old 1st November 2011, 12:42   #2295

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Canpush. I will definitely check that out. What do you recon the best way to catch these filling stations if they are conning us or not. I vouch for your tank showing full for longer time. I drove the car for 150 kms and the tank was still showing full I wish I had a car like that :P
I happened with me too, i got the tank full after it was almost empty. It was filled with 50 ltrs of petrol and i also drove the car with almost 100 kms (in city) with tank showing full. Its the extra 5 ltrs which your petrol pump guy must have filled above the 45ltr capacity. so in all with 5 + 1/8th of 45 ltrs around 10 ltrs and you got 150 kms. Its 15km/ltr with highway and city combined which is OK i think. BTW i am also taking about a brand new Polo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks