Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2012, 19:07   #2566
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Just wanted to update about a funny thing happened with my Polo TDi. Was that funny?
Last week when I was on the way to home at night, all of a sudden the front left tyre lost air completely. Fortunately got the feeling of a puncture immediately which saved me from driving further. When I got out and checked the tyre, it was completely floored with no air at all.
I was damn sure that the puncture is really is big since all the air went all of a sudden. Also because I checked (not at any fuel/air station, just manually checked the tyres) the tyres just before resuming the drive from a halt which was merely 2 KMs away. Somehow I could fix the stepney and resumed my drive.
Though it was raining heavily, was late at night (11:45), was with my family; I was okay with what happened. It happens no? Some of these cannot be predicted or prevented (most of the times).
Next day I went a tyre shop to fix the puncture. After some 20 minutes of examination, the service guy told me that the tyre is puncture free!
I could not digest that. I explained him what happened. Then he also got confused and 3 of the service people examined the tyre (for nearly 1 hour) and told that the tyre is perfectly alright. What can I say? As usual, I did not agree with them. For the next 30 more minutes, I also joined them in the tyre check and nothing happened. I was not ready to believe them and went to 2 other service stations with the same concern. But the result was the same (Tyre was filled 40 psi and kept for 4 days before going to the other 2 service stations).
Now I changed the tyre back to the old one and drove for around 500 KMs. Still could not understand what happens on that date.

Note : The culprit is a JK 14" and I just thought of write it here because today I am going for the next night drive with family after this incident
Any similar incidents?
Old 29th June 2012, 23:06   #2567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice29 View Post
Any similar incidents?
I've read about something similar happening on a Polo TDI but then manf. was MRF. The person described that he heard a tyre burst, with fumes and all, on inspection found he had a flat tyre.

Changed to the spare, drives off and when he gets the tyre inspected the following day its perfectly fine! All this happened on a highway at 100+speeds so he was scared driving the car for a few days post it. However, it didn't repeat in his case.

I wonder what could be wrong. Need our expert Nikhil to comment on this.
Old 30th June 2012, 04:13   #2568
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice29
Just wanted to update about a funny thing happened with my Polo TDi. Was that funny?
tyre shop to fix the puncture. After some 20 minutes of examination, the service guy told me that the tyre is puncture free!
I could not digest that. I explained him what happened. Then he also got confused and 3 of the service people examined the tyre (for nearly 1 hour) and told that the tyre is perfectly alright. What can I say? As usual, I did not agree with them. For the next 30 more minutes, I also joined them in the tyre check and nothing happened. I was not ready to believe them and went to 2 other service stations with the same concern. But the result was the same (Tyre was filled 40 psi and kept for 4 days before going to the other 2 service stations).
Now I changed the tyre back to the old one and drove for around 500 KMs. Still could not understand what happens on that date.

Note : The culprit is a JK 14" and I just thought of write it here because today I am going for the next night drive with family after this incident
Any similar incidents?
Wow! Must be some sort of tyre poltergeist sitting in your car! This is the first time in my life I am hearing such a thing. Very odd indeed.
What could be the reason for this?
Old 30th June 2012, 08:32   #2569
Distinguished - BHPian

i've not seen the sercice manualbof polo,hence this question.
aren't there any free services for polo?
in the 15k service bill of our 1.6, i saw that the labour was also charged and hence it came to 9k.
but my punto 1.2's 15k service bill had zero charges for labour and hence was around 3.5k
Old 30th June 2012, 08:38   #2570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
i've not seen the sercice manualbof polo,hence this question.
aren't there any free services for polo?
in the 15k service bill of our 1.6, i saw that the labour was also charged and hence it came to 9k.
but my punto 1.2's 15k service bill had zero charges for labour and hence was around 3.5k
There are no free services as far as Volkswagen is concerned. Only there are the monsoon camps where they provide some free (or is it subsidised?) services. All regular services are fully paid even the first one. But the services are fairly placed at 15k Kms if that is any consolation.
Old 3rd July 2012, 23:04   #2571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I've read about something similar happening on a Polo TDI but then manf. was MRF. All this happened on a highway at 100+speeds so he was scared driving the car for a few days post it. However, it didn't repeat in his case.
That means I am not alone here. But something similar at 100+ speeds! Cannot even think about that .
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Wow! Must be some sort of tyre poltergeist sitting in your car! This is the first time in my life I am hearing such a thing. Very odd indeed.
What could be the reason for this?
Let me also doubt the same .

By the way, had a nice drive during weekend that clocked 600+ in the odo and the JK is running strong!
Old 4th July 2012, 15:52   #2572
BHPian

Quote:
====================
Any similar incidents?
Just a guess... Can it be the tyre valve? That's the only potential leakage point which I can think of. By the way, I have MRF's and never faced any issue as yet (10K running)
Old 4th July 2012, 20:24   #2573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchir911 View Post
Just a guess... Can it be the tyre valve? That's the only potential leakage point which I can think of.
That is the only possiblity that I could think of so far. But during running . That is my confusion. Anyway after the incident, more than 1.5K in Odo with the same tyre.
Old 5th July 2012, 11:09   #2574
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend has purchased a Polo1.2 (P) a couple of months back. On one occasion while driving the catalytic converter fault indication came on. Took the same to Downtown and they connected the VAG and the problem did not occur for some time.

After a month, yesterday while driving the same fault indicator came on.
Any Polo owners has experienced the same anytime? Any indication to the probable cause?

Cheers!
Old 5th July 2012, 20:50   #2575

Hi BHPians, I am planning to buy a POLO diesel, trendline. With the reviews that i read at Team BHP, i understand that the 3 cylinder engine is not as peppy as a DDIs engine. But for a common man like me, who travels 70-80% inside city and the occassional drive on the highway, would this 3 cylinder engine pose a great problem or would it dampen the driving experience?
Old 7th July 2012, 12:10   #2576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind_ragu View Post
Hi BHPians, I am planning to buy a POLO diesel, trendline. With the reviews that i read at Team BHP, i understand that the 3 cylinder engine is not as peppy as a DDIs engine. But for a common man like me, who travels 70-80% inside city and the occassional drive on the highway, would this 3 cylinder engine pose a great problem or would it dampen the driving experience?
Hope I am not too late to reply.
Before any comments, let me clarify that I am not an expert but a TDi TL owner with just over 5K in the Odo.

1.2 TDi may not be at par with DDiS/MJD on performance front, but you may not feel that disappointed. I was also in the same [COLOR=black][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']dilemma [/FONT][/COLOR]when considering Polo but I got clarified when I TDed it. Takes a bit time for the turbo to kick in but it is just a matter of used to. It can take you to 120+ Km/Hr easily (I tried only this much). Hope I don't need to comment about the handling at those speeds. Moreover it is built to last.

Finally as a thump rule, get a TD and convince yourself that it is a good buy and you can enjoy. I hope once you put your hands on the steering wheel, you won't find the 3-Pot hiding inside; after all the insulation levels are such high (though not the ideal engineering way) .
Old 7th July 2012, 13:05   #2577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind_ragu View Post
I was also in the same dilemma when i had to choose between the Swift and Polo. Took multiple TD's on the same route and found the DDIS more responsive and quieter. The TDI wasn't that bad, the NVH was same as in Punto but more compared to Swift,it was the turbo lag which was on the higher side.

In the city, once your in the turbo range the car is very responsive. From my experience the turbo-assist begins at 1900 rpm and you have sufficient power till 3.5k rpm. Like novice29 said, take a TD and decide for yourself, the NVH won't disappoint you, only the turbo lag may.

If you decide on the multijet i recommend Punto or Ritz, Swift VDi has braking issues.
Old 8th July 2012, 09:53   #2578
BHPian

One question to TDi owners.
Are you doing any regular check-up to your vehicle or waiting for the first service at 15K. Mine is over 5K now and I am completely ignoring these other than tyre Psi on a regular basis. I am not even doing the regular checks like Engine oil and all since nothing is noticeable till now. Any advice on this front?
Old 8th July 2012, 10:35   #2579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One question to TDi owners.
Are you doing any regular check-up to your vehicle or waiting for the first service at 15K. Mine is over 5K now and I am completely ignoring these other than tyre Psi on a regular basis. I am not even doing the regular checks like Engine oil and all since nothing is noticeable till now. Any advice on this front?
Last time VW advised a check at 5k for oil top up since higher oil consumption is sometimes expected during the initial run in.
bottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2012, 10:44   #2580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
If you decide on the multijet i recommend Punto or Ritz, Swift VDi has braking issues.
I agree to the recommendations here. However, if you decide to go with the Punto; pick up the 90HP as the additional power helps you a lot while overtaking on highways. As for Swift, pick up the ZDi as it is a much safer option compared to VDi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks