Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
VW Polo is a FWD car, right?
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft
If I am right, why the floor hump (the technical term is transmission tunnel I guess) is so high?
The hump on the floor serves as a means for strengthening the floor plate just like the ribs on the roof panel. Some cars have a raised floor hump (Polo, Vento) whereas some others do not (Civic, Etios). Similarly, some cars have these ribs on the roof panel whereas some others do not.

For instance, the Etios Liva has it:

The Polo doesn’t:

Purpose is the same - aids in strengthening the otherwise slender roof.

Please have a look at this thread as well which explains this in detail - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...loor-rear.html

Quote:
My questions are as follows:

1. What does the transmission tunnel contain for VW Polo?
2. How can a car powered at front wheels by the engine can have rear differentials?
1. Just the exhaust pipe. Here’s a snap I had taken from a 3M Car Care outlet when they had raised my ride:

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-wp_20131103_15_58_39_pro.jpg

2. I shall let somebody else answer that. I guess you may be referring to an AWD system here.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 09:07   #2897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
1. Just the exhaust pipe. Here’s a snap I had taken from a 3M Car Care outlet when they had raised my ride:

Attachment 1177091
Ah.. thanks a lot for the picture! Seems like wasting a aweful lot of space for a exhaust pipe, isn't it? There are plenty of space on left and right.. Or are some parts removed when the picture was taken? Belause I was hoping to see the fuel line/rear brake line there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
2. I shall let somebody else answer that. I guess you may be referring to an AWD system here.
Nah it's okay.. you did pretty good! I am indeed talking about FWD system here... just had the idea (don't know why) that Polo had rear differentials. Now a late night googling session later I know that Polo is FWD-Transversely Mounted Engine model...

Is your ride a TDI? I am looking for some first hand comments from a 1.2 Petrol owner..

EDIT: I see, you have a GT TDI... Man you are from a different class...
Can someone please point me towards a plain jane 1.2 TSI ownership review?? Can't find any.. Is the car that forgettable??

Last edited by cr4nkshaft : 12th December 2013 at 09:15.
Old 12th December 2013, 09:41   #2898
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
Ah.. thanks a lot for the picture! Seems like wasting a aweful lot of space for a exhaust pipe, isn't it?
Yeah. The Polo/Vento has a tall and wide hump - not warranted IMO. The exhaust pipe could’ve been easily accommodated within a low-profile tunnel. That hump unfortunately obstructs the fifth passenger sitting in the rear center seat.

Quote:
Or are some parts removed when the picture was taken? Belause I was hoping to see the fuel line/rear brake line there..
Nope, none. I took a couple of snaps more but not very helpful in this aspect though. I left out the engine/sump part.

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-wp_20131103_15_58_44_pro.jpg

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-wp_20131103_15_58_56_pro.jpg

Quote:
Is your ride a TDI
Yes. The GT TDI.

PS: You should avoid typing with ellipses (dots in succession...) in your sentences. Not a good netiquette and more so, moderators tend to edit such sentences. Just a tip.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th December 2013 at 09:48.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 08:20   #2899
BHPian

What is the spare wheel provided with Polo 1.2 TDi Highline? Is it the alloy wheel or a steel one?
Old 26th December 2013, 08:42   #2900
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvssudheer View Post
What is the spare wheel provided with Polo 1.2 TDi Highline? Is it the alloy wheel or a steel one?
Steel rim. Only the GT variants get the alloy wheel as the spare.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 10:05   #2901
Distinguished - BHPian

Polo facelifts(mild to notice) have been spotted world wide but India could give a skip to the same.
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-volkswagenpolofaceliftspiedinchina.jpg

What to expect to the Indian Polo's will be the next generation that is based on the MQB platform (underpinning the Golf, and making it more spacious) with for a launch in 2015 . So what do we expect to get?

Polo for India is specualted to have the new 1.5 liter TDI unit that Volkswagen is developing specifically for use in the next-generation Polo and Vento models sold in India.
On the petrol,VW may to use 1.0-liter turbocharged engines that is used on the UP series!

Cheers!
Old 24th January 2014, 20:11   #2902
BHPian

Polo Facelift revealed fully - Check this out guys !!!
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11401236...ut/lowphotos#2
Old 24th January 2014, 22:45   #2903
BHPian

I took the car today for the first service. It's actually a free inspection. Only a basic car wash was provided and the car was run through a computerised diagnostics to check for faults. No top ups of any fluid were done. A very basic inspection and it was completed within an hour.
Old 27th January 2014, 18:26   #2904
BHPian

The facelift is not too noticeable and can be easily given a miss. It would serve VW far better to focus on improving its service experience.
As a Polo owner, I love the way the car drives and its exemplary road manners. I own a City ZX/Swift Petrol as well, but the confidence when driving a Polo TDi is much better.
However every time I take the car for service, the experience is just so appalling - you feel like you are headed into battle against the company.
Though my heart wants the next car to be a VW, this time I will listen to my head and choose a company with a better service reputation.
Old 28th January 2014, 01:32   #2905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilrs View Post
However every time I take the car for service, the experience is just so appalling - you feel like you are headed into battle against the company.
Though my heart wants the next car to be a VW, this time I will listen to my head and choose a company with a better service reputation.
The way Germans, Italian and even Americans give confidence in driving, it can never be matched by Japs or Korean. Which VW service centre workshop do you use in Mumbai?

Try using Volkswagen Downtown Mumbai as most of bhpians have positive reviews about them.

Address:
Shaman Cars Pvt. Ltd.
Bombay Gas Compound, Lalbaug,
Tel : 022 - 66544444
Service Head
Mob : 9870500675
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 18:08   #2906
Distinguished - BHPian

POLO 1.5TDI delayed, a refreshing facelift coming soon!

Volkswagen's new facelifted Polo revealed; expected in India this May. New 1.5-litre diesel coming only later , likely to debut year end!

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-0_468_700_http___i_haymarket_net_au_extraimages_20140128102245_polo_1.jpg

The headlights now get hexagonal LED elements, a chrome strip at the bottom of the grille links both headlights, and the chin of the car is all-new. What's particularly nice is the fact that the wider wraparound section now also gets a metallic highlight that runs around the bottom of the fogs. There are fewer changes around the rear, but the car does get an all-new bumper and tail-lights.

A new upmarket steering wheel, new centre console with a new colour display and new air-con controls lift the ambience in the cabin considerably. The steering, in fact, looks very similar to that of the Volkswagen Golf. ( not sure of this coming update to India though )

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-2014volkswagenpolofaceliftdashboard.jpg

Source:ACI (article)

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th January 2014 at 18:34.
Old 29th January 2014, 08:47   #2907
Distinguished - BHPian

Videos of Polo 2014 launched globally yesterday.

Last edited by GTO : 30th January 2014 at 20:32. Reason: Embedding Youtube Videos
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 13:21   #2908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
POLO 1.5TDI delayed, a refreshing facelift coming soon!

Volkswagen's new facelifted Polo revealed; expected in India this May. New 1.5-litre diesel coming only later , likely to debut year end!

(article)
The refreshed / face-lifted polo seems very promising. I loved the way the front and rear bumpers are re-designed. The headlights with the new led strip look very sharp. However, except for the new steering wheel I dint like the new center console. Doesn't look VWish at all. The silver accent too isn't the nicest thing that can go inside a car like that.

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-2014volkswagenpolofaceliftdashboard.jpg

From what I read about the launch , they have a new 1.4 L TDi that will replace both 1.2 and 1.6 L ones. Its going to be in two or three states of tune 75 PS, 90 PS and may be 105 PS as well. Well in that case they just need to use this engine in the Indian Polo, there is no need for them to develop a new engine specifically for a country where the sales figures are not at all worth mentioning.

Image courtesy Motorbeam.com

May be the 1.5 TDi was just another rumor.
Old 29th January 2014, 14:47   #2909
Distinguished - BHPian

Dimensional comparison of the Facelift Vs the current version, changes due to the bumper design!

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-2014volkswagenpolofaceliftinteriorandupdatedtechrevealed_6.jpg

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-2014volkswagenpolofaceliftinteriorandupdatedtechrevealed_7.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th January 2014 at 14:50.
Old 29th January 2014, 16:31   #2910
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
May be the 1.5 TDi was just another rumor.
VW Polo refresh comes with new engines globally.

Quote:
For the diesel, Volkswagen is again getting rid of older units. The 1.2 TDI three-cylinder and 1.6 TDI four-cylinder are gone, replaced by a three-cylinder 1.4 TDI, with 75 and 90 PS. Being the only engine we've never heard about, this is easily the most important new engine.

Note the earlier the 1.6 TDI is on a lot of other cars, including mass-market models like the Skoda Rapid and VW Golf.
So for India it is more economical to detune the existing 1.6TDI for taking advantage of the tax benifits.
Now whether the facelifted Polo will be launched with the 1.5TDI or they decide to plonk on the existing Polo is to be seen.

Looking at the road map of the GEN NEXT Polo (bigger) arriving globally in 2015 and making to India maybe in 2016 along with Taigun (with engines still not know yet or maybe common to Taigun) makes sense for VW india to launch the facelifted version with 1.5TDI . This will make it to the Vento too. Do remember that VW is working on products for emerging markets where this engine will be of use.

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th January 2014 at 16:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks