Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2014, 10:11   #2956
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I belive it would be wrong to say VW is at fault. We usually blame automobile companies for not coming up with new refreshed/face-lifted model regularly. VW is doing a good job by regularly updating the car with newer features as according to customer feedback & market scenario.

I own a Vento which is from the 1st gen which were launched way back in Sep 2010 and it has gone through a lot of mid cycle refresh but for a regular bloke it would be very difficult to guess which one is newer version.

If you want a car which has less mid cycle refresh you could go in for Maruti Suzuki or a Chevrolet.
Agree. The refreshes and face lifts are typically minor and subtle and only a person who has looked at each face lift in detail would know the difference.

I also appreciate VW for the fact that they have started bringing in technology to their lower end models that enhances the Fun to Drive factor like the TSI engines and DSG Gearboxes. And now we hear the rumors of the Diesel + DSG which would again be a fantastic offering for at least a small segment of people.
Old 28th March 2014, 14:00   #2957
BHPian

Quote:

I own a Vento which is from the 1st gen which were launched way back in Sep 2010 and it has gone through a lot of mid cycle refresh but for a regular bloke it would be very difficult to guess which one is newer version.......
Yes, but this isn't a minor facelift. A new motor, bumper and headlights make it a 'new' car. I know a facelift's idea is to attract new customers, but what about the people whose car's are a less than a year old. If we get the international versions, I will keep thinking about "If I had....."
Old 28th March 2014, 18:40   #2958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebfg View Post
Yes, but this isn't a minor facelift. A new motor, bumper and headlights make it a 'new' car. I know a facelift's idea is to attract new customers, but what about the people whose car's are a less than a year old. If we get the international versions, I will keep thinking about "If I had....."
It would still be a minor facelift for me. Why?

1. New motor. Its still speculation 1.5 4 cyl or 1.4 3 cyl or may be current gen 1.2 3 cyl for Polo and 1.6 TDi for Vento. VW wouldn't want to spend too much on saving just 100cc. But whatever the power curve remains same. A 1.6 TDi would be any day better. You have better tuning option. 1.5/1.4 would be all new & not many tuner around the world would invest time in it.

2. New headlights. The design remains same, only its twin barrel. What if VW may release it only on Highline variant, just like all black headlamp in current Highline model. Wouldn't make much difference to a normal bloke.

3. New bumper, what its just two reflective markers. Not a big deal.

Even if you wait for the new face lift with all the above stuff, I would say you would still be disappointed. Why?

VW would release next gen MQB based Polo/Vento in Q4 2015. Thats all new stuff which would be different from current 2009 Mk5 Polo.

My suggestion would be to buy Mk6 MQB based Polo/Vento.
Old 28th March 2014, 18:41   #2959
BHPian

Have a few (actually quite a few! ) queries about my comfortline Polo:

1. Can we fit inverted L shaped headrests in rear? Are they available as VW accessory? I guess Vento/Jetta has them and the facelift polo will have them.
2. Any good thread/post on all the MID functions?
3. Is there any provision of audible alert on door locking? If yes, can we activate that at home/do we have to do it through service centre?
4. Can we fit reverse horn without splicing any wires? I have a heavy hand, and on more than one occasion I have engaged reverse while engaging first, and moments of panic ensued.
5. Can we change the speed warning limit through MID? And is there any way to get an audible alarm for that as well?
6. This is for Kolkata-based Polo users only, which SS is recommended, the Science City one or the Budge Budge one?

I solemnly swear I have searched through the forum for answers, but didn't get any/clear answers. If I have missed some thread and some kind soul points me towards them, I'll be grateful!

Last edited by cr4nkshaft : 28th March 2014 at 18:43.
Old 28th March 2014, 18:46   #2960
BHPian

Quote:
It would still be a minor facelift for me. Why?....
My suggestion would be to buy Mk6 MQB based Polo/Vento.
I give up cheering:. Man you sure do know how to convince a dude that he is wrong. You are right. Now I don't care if I have a slightly new car, or a slightly old car, it still is the same car. Thanks for prevailing upon me to change my thinking (I ain't bein' sentimental. Think what you have to)
Old 28th March 2014, 19:40   #2961
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now I don't care if I have a slightly new car, or a slightly old car, it still is the same car.
That's just how I feel about this minor-change new-model stuff too.

On top of all that, one of my main reasons for buying the VW was longevity! I really hoped (and still hope!) that it would stay in good shape longer than my poor Swift.

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 28th March 2014 at 19:42.
Old 28th March 2014, 20:59   #2962
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
Have a few (actually quite a few! ) queries about my comfortline Polo:

1. Can we fit inverted L shaped headrests in rear? Are they available as VW accessory? I guess Vento/Jetta has them and the facelift polo will have them.
2. Any good thread/post on all the MID functions?
3. Is there any provision of audible alert on door locking? If yes, can we activate that at home/do we have to do it through service centre?
4. Can we fit reverse horn without splicing any wires? I have a heavy hand, and on more than one occasion I have engaged reverse while engaging first, and moments of panic ensued.
5. Can we change the speed warning limit through MID? And is there any way to get an audible alarm for that as well?
6. This is for Kolkata-based Polo users only, which SS is recommended, the Science City one or the Budge Budge one?

I solemnly swear I have searched through the forum for answers, but didn't get any/clear answers. If I have missed some thread and some kind soul points me towards them, I'll be grateful!
Most of your queries have already been answered before, if not in this thread it must be on the other thread.

1. Vento doesn't have the L-type restraints for the rear seat. They have the same restraints as that of the Polo. Not sure if the Jetta's restraints would fit but even if it does, it is going to be expensive. Color match of the upholstery would be an issue. The upcoming Polo facelift definitely has L-type restraints for the rear seat as confirmed from the scoop photos. There's a good chance, they would fit on ours. *fingers crossed*

2. The link above maybe a useful read. Have a read!

3. Yes. The horn makes the alert while the indicator beeps.

There is no separate buzzer. You will have to use VCDS to enable the beeps though. The service centre can do it for you.

4. No idea. You can however have the proximity sensors installed in the rear bumper and with a buzzer, this makes audible beeps. Refer to your service centre for the pricing.

5. Yes. If you have these buttons on the right stalk:

Cycle through the MID menu until this screen appears:

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-maxspeed.jpg

If a predefined value isn't set, press the OK/RESET and use the side buttons to set the value. After a value is set, press OK.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th March 2014 at 21:01.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 00:37   #2963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please do not do this!

What you have anyway: the lights flash: once for lock, twice for unlock (If I got that right!). If you are near the vehicle then you hear the mechanical lock noise.

Adding horn beeps is just adding noise pollution to your neighbourhood. The more people do this, the more noise there will be. Add to the list with reversing alarms.

I regularly suffer did I lock the car paranoia. I just have to have it in sight, push the button, and see the lights flash. Horn noise would add nothing useful to me and just annoy others.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 07:02   #2964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Please do not do this!

What you have anyway: the lights flash: once for lock, twice for unlock (If I got that right!). If you are near the vehicle then you hear the mechanical lock noise.

Adding horn beeps is just adding noise pollution to your neighbourhood. The more people do this, the more noise there will be. Add to the list with reversing alarms.

I regularly suffer did I lock the car paranoia. I just have to have it in sight, push the button, and see the lights flash. Horn noise would add nothing useful to me and just annoy others.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had already dropped the plan for locking alarm after seeing the video by gannu_1. I was hoping for the regular beep-beep alarm, instead of this honk-honk, which is comparatively less irritating.

However, the reverse horn is a little more important to me as I am new to the "reverse-below-first" setup. I need some kind of audible assurance that I am in first, and not in reverse. Any other option?
cr4nkshaft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 13:43   #2965
BANNED

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

I saw some reverse sensors that make a *beep* when the reverse gear is engaged.
That beep stays inside the cabin and does not annoy others.

Try searching for it. Do get a reputed installer otherwise you risk electrical havoc along with warranty problems.

Quote:
. Any other option?

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 29th March 2014 at 13:44.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 14:36   #2966
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, the reverse horn is a little more important to me as I am new to the "reverse-below-first" setup. I need some kind of audible assurance that I am in first, and not in reverse. Any other option?
I can't claim that I have never made a mistake, eg when parking, but I think it is down to dyslexia/stupidity, with me, rather than the gear positions being close together. <Blush>

It takes a very determined push down on the lever to get into reverse. A day or two is enough to get used to it.

I have far more trouble with the indicators/wipers left/right thing. After two years, I regularly wipe the windows instead of indicating!

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 22:26   #2967
Senior - BHPian

I was not considering a Polo, but after a couple of visits to the VW showroom and a test drive am very impressed.
I was looking at the Petrol Highline Option.
A few queries:
1. I was told that the Comfortline does not come with Airbags and ABS even though the VW website says it does so for cars manufactured after Feb 2014. Can someone enlighten me about who is right? The dealer mentioned that it still hasn't been implemented.
2. I use a child car seat and am keen on having an anchor point for the child car seat hook as this makes it much safer than just using the seat belt. The polo did not have an anchor point and the dealer did not know anything bout it. Have any of you managed to fit an isofix or an anchor point to a polo (or for any other Indian hatch). I saw anchor points in the Sail UVA and Sail sedan, but none in the Grand i10 or Liva.
3. Initial Quote for the Petrol Highline at Vellore (TN) comes to about 6.98 lacs on road. Haven't yet negotiated anything. There was no free insurance or freebies included. How much can I negotiate?
4. When will the face lifted 2014 Polo be released?
5. The Polo sales rep stated that the cross bars on all 4 doors and the front bumper along with the hump on the floor were unique to the polo and made it stronger. Is that true? Could not check these in the other cars.
The other cars on my shortlist are i20 Asta and Liva V SP.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 06:20   #2968
BHPian

Hi benji,

You are correct regarding point 1. Looks like the dealer wants to offload some of his old stock.

About point 5, not sure about the crossbar but the floor hump point is true. Go back a few pages is this thread and check out gannu_1's reply to my query about the floor hump, has a few pictures too.

Best of luck for your buy, I sincerely hope you opt for the polo. It's one gem of a car. Keep us posted.
Old 31st March 2014, 12:04   #2969

As a new member of Team BHP I have to say this thread & others were very helpful in helping me decide on buying the Polo.

A Short History:

I recently moved to Bangalore sans family, who remain in Delhi. I wanted to buy a small hatchback. First ended up booking a Silver Brio. But thanks to the absolute lack of interest shown by the SA, who never called me back, I cancelled my booking. Needed a quick replacement & called up all the VW dealers in town. VW Whitefield (Apple Auto Pvt Ltd) we're the quickest to call back and sent a car to my office for a TD. Booked a silver Petrol 1.2 Highline right then & there. Took delivery of it last Friday.

In the short time that I've driven it I already realise how poor the stock OEM bulbs are. So either I will need to drive with the fog lamps on or get those bulbs replaced. Is Bangalore street lighting especially bad, perhaps because of all the trees?

The other modifications I am considering are getting Stanley leather seat covers & 3M nomad mats. I am determined to take very good care of this car
Old 31st March 2014, 13:24   #2970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M51Day View Post
As a new member of Team BHP I have to say this thread & others were very helpful in helping me decide on buying the Polo.

A Short History:

I recently moved to Bangalore sans family, who remain in Delhi. I wanted to buy a small hatchback. First ended up booking a Silver Brio. But thanks to the absolute lack of interest shown by the SA, who never called me back, I cancelled my booking. Needed a quick replacement & called up all the VW dealers in town. VW Whitefield (Apple Auto Pvt Ltd) we're the quickest to call back and sent a car to my office for a TD. Booked a silver Petrol 1.2 Highline right then & there. Took delivery of it last Friday.

In the short time that I've driven it I already realise how poor the stock OEM bulbs are. So either I will need to drive with the fog lamps on or get those bulbs replaced. Is Bangalore street lighting especially bad, perhaps because of all the trees?

The other modifications I am considering are getting Stanley leather seat covers & 3M nomad mats. I am determined to take very good care of this car
Hi M51, welcome to the club! Congratulations on your new buy.
As far as my observation goes, and it's also the opinion of a few other forum members, Polo headlamps are a bit underpowered.

You can swap them with Philips Xtreme bulbs (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-review-2.html, post 4 for more details).

Stanley leather, well they must be worth a bomb, aren't they?
Anyway, wish you happy mile munching!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks