Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2014, 10:11   #2986
BHPian

Mod Note : Post deleted.

Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Also, please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th April 2014 at 11:41.
Detroit-Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 02:23   #2987
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
VW redirected my support request to VW Chennai and they stated that VW hasn't yet intimated them about when the comfort line with abs will be available. He mentioned costs will be more.
He had no idea what an anchor point or isofix were.
Hi Ross,
Really hate the part where VW keep redirecting your queries to the local dealer. Usually a customer would call the CC when he is not satisfied or need more info then what the local dealer provides, hence it makes no sense when you get forwarded back to the local dealer. This was the case when I was trying to get their stand on Polo GT's extended warranty, like a chicken-or-egg-first game, I would be talking to my SA again, who had no clue(then) when if such thing would ever come.

If you are in no hurry, wait for a car manufactured after March and get the Comfortline/Highline with ABS. However, regarding Isofix, I was on the look out for some kind of retro fit for my sisters' Swift but to no avail. Strangely VW India website is saying all their cars come with ISOFiX.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-image.jpg  

Old 21st April 2014, 12:04   #2988
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to buy a Polo 1.2 Comfortline soon. Can anyone please enlighten me with the service and maintenance costs ?

The other options I am looking at is the Brio VX, Ritz Zxi and Grand i10 Asta (O). Which one is a better bet ?
Old 22nd April 2014, 17:36   #2989
BHPian

A friend of mine owns a Polo 1.2 (out of 3 years warranty period) which has got a couple of problems and he would like to know if anyone here is getting his Polo serviced and repaired from a trusted mechanic outside of VW service station? Any local garage genius that you guys can recommend in Bangalore? Do let me know.
Old 22nd April 2014, 17:55   #2990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I am planning to buy a Polo 1.2 Comfortline soon. Can anyone please enlighten me with the service and maintenance costs ?

The other options I am looking at is the Brio VX, Ritz Zxi and Grand i10 Asta (O). Which one is a better bet ?
Avoid Polo. Pathetic engine. Poor resale. Owners are always in fear something will go wrong.

Brio VX - Too little car for too much money. Swift ZXI with 35k discounts works out to be exactly as much as the Brio and is a comparatively better.

Grand i10 - freshest of the lot. A very complete package overall. The engine while superb does not provide a seat of the pants acceleration. Is comfortable both in the City and on the highway. Not meant for twisties but is surely no boat. Ride is very complaint.
Old 22nd April 2014, 19:00   #2991
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Avoid Polo. Pathetic engine. Poor resale. Owners are always in fear something will go wrong.
I would like to respond with just a big crying tears smiley --- but, even if there is one, it wouldn't be allowed.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 21:23   #2992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which one is a better bet ?
I agree with Dipen. I had a Polo diesel and sold it off after facing numerous issues though mine seems like a one-off case. Resale is definitely poor and both engines are very mediocre (you can read the review to know more). Maintenance is on the expensive side. I'd go with Japs or Koreans if I was looking for a petrol.

Buy a Polo only if you're considering the GT models. The engine (and DSG if petrol) makes up for everything else you lose out on
Old 22nd April 2014, 23:11   #2993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post

Brio VX - Too little car for too much money. Swift ZXI with 35k discounts works out to be exactly as much as the Brio and is a comparatively better.

Grand i10 - freshest of the lot. A very complete package overall. The engine while superb does not provide a seat of the pants acceleration. Is comfortable both in the City and on the highway. Not meant for twisties but is surely no boat. Ride is very complaint.

I am a proud owner of a Polo petrol for more than 3 years now and quite happy with its performance. The 3 pot noise and knocking sound which is the primary basis of the " what you won't like" review comments is minimal thanks to a change in engine and gear mounts last year.
A change in engine oil this year has put a smile on my face.
Pathetic engine. I would disagree. Acceleration is quite good till 100 kmphr. You need to be generous with the throttle.
Note that I test drove the Rapid and vento petrol last year and except for the top end my 1.2 polo handled equally well. The linea tjet blew me away which is an entirely different topic for discussion :-)

The resale value is decent as I checked last year. This is a car which will last long without any squeaks and rattles.
Detroit-Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 08:42   #2994

Anyone here using Shell Petrol for their Polo? I filled up a full tank of Super Unleaded with FE yesterday. Need to see if it's better in any way
Old 23rd April 2014, 19:11   #2995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
This button seems to be missing from trendline.
The full fledged Multi Function Display is not available in the Trendline. Amongst the features missing from the Multi Function Display in the Trendline includes the Instant FE.
f1dotcom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 14:57   #2996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M51Day View Post
Anyone here using Shell Petrol for their Polo? I filled up a full tank of Super Unleaded with FE yesterday. Need to see if it's better in any way
I have been using Shell from the day one I bought my Polo. Occasionally, I have also tried the BP pump near my house.
I find Shell petrol good, car feels smooth and get a decent mileage ( ~ 12 in Bangalore Traffic). I would recommend using Shell petrol as their quality is good, they don't cheat on quantity, service is highly professional, free tyre air check up and most importantly, you enter relaxed of being duped and come out happy

Last edited by Cooltronics : 24th April 2014 at 14:57. Reason: spell check
Old 24th April 2014, 18:30   #2997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post

Quote:

Comparing Polo with likes of Brio, Ritz and Grand i10 is like comparing apples with Oranges. Polo can be compared with i20, Swift etc.
I have been driving a Polo 1.2L petrol for the past 3 years and let me tell you it was an impulsive buy due to the circumstances then & I am loving every single minute of its ride and my decision.
Pros
a) Superior build quality - No Korean or Japanese car can come closer to German build quality and this I am also telling from my experience of driving i20, swift, santro, sx4. I am yet to hear my first rattle in the car. quality of plastics is way superior, doors are heavy and sturdy and close with a big THUD, contrast to Maruti where doors flung off & back when applied with same force. Paint quality is by far the best I have seen, it doesn't chip of easily and scratches due to Indian way of cleaning (cleaner cleaning multiple cars with same cloth) are next to negligible

b) Ride & Safety : High speed stability of this car is much better than Korean or Japanese Sedan counter parts. I have pushed my car to 145 once and except engine running out of breath, stability was not an issue at all, not even 5%. It simply stuck to the road and oozed confidence. This is a very important aspect in our teenage infrastructure where any obstacle can come while your on high speed. Now the Polo also comes with air-bags across versions.

c) Boot space : It has one of the biggest boot space in its category, at par with i20 and far more than Swift.

Cons:

a) Mediocre engine : While it would have been a pleasure to drive 4 pot engine, let me tell you this engine is not bad and for some people who are upgrading to Polo, it is amazing. Please test drive the car before you buy, some one else's dislike might be your like as you might not have driven what they have driven

b) Rear leg space : This could have been improved. For a person of 6'2" height, there is hardly a space left once I adjust my seats.

I have regularly serviced my car as per schedule at authorized service station and trust me, I have not faced single issue in the car till date and it is not just me alone, my friend circle has 4 Polos and none of them have had any issues.

Resale value : It definitely fetches a good resale value. My car is up for sale and I am seeing the interest amongst people. I was also worried about resale but it came as surprise to see so many buyers interested. I have to move to Hyundai Verna as my next car because my wife will also be a co-driver now (she doesn't like Polo )but if I had the choice, it would have been Polo GT TDI or Vento Highline all the way undoubtedly as my next car.

Maintenance Cost: At par with Hyundai and marginally more than Suzuki. Volkswagen has 15000km service interval and hence one time cost of service seems high which in other cars is broken down at 5000 or 10000km

Verdict : Please don't reject the car because some people are not happy about it and do not be inclined because I shared my positive opinion. Have a good test drive, think on all parameters discussed, talk with more people about their service records and then decide. Good Luck.. Happy Shopping
Cooltronics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 18:55   #2998
BHPian

Totally agree with Detroit-Dude and Cooltronics. Being a owner of Polo 1.2 for more than 2 years and having driven 23000+ kms, I can simply say that going back to Asian cars is not easy.

The 1.2 engine is noisy but things have improved after engine and gearbox mounting change, and while not as quiet as Japs its still much better than before.

With respect to driveability, I would stick out my neck and say that Polo is a better car to drive in the city than Swift. While buying my car, I had done multiple reads on test drives and ownership reviews which convinced me that Swift or i20 are the way to go.

But it all changed with test drives. The ride feel and quality from Polo meant that I could not simply go back to Swift. Also the gearing and low-end torque meant that it was more comfortable to drive in the city.

However do not but a Polo petrol if you drive on highways often. While the car itself is extremely stable, engine is gutless beyond 100-110. Also resale will be poorer than Asian cars anyday.

I have not faced much of a reliability issue and after-sales has been as good or as bad as a Maruti or a Hyundai (both cars in the family and have extensive experience).

I would still say, buy extended warranty. And please test drive the cars before making your choice. It is easy to get carried away by popular opinion.
Old 24th April 2014, 19:31   #2999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Verdict : Please don't reject the car because some people are not happy about it and do not be inclined because I shared my positive opinion. Have a good test drive, think on all parameters discussed, talk with more people about their service records and then decide. Good Luck.. Happy Shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
However do not but a Polo petrol if you drive on highways often. While the car itself is extremely stable, engine is gutless beyond 100-110. Also resale will be poorer than Asian cars anyday.

I have not faced much of a reliability issue and after-sales has been as good or as bad as a Maruti or a Hyundai (both cars in the family and have extensive experience).

I would still say, buy extended warranty. And please test drive the cars before making your choice. It is easy to get carried away by popular opinion.
Thanks guys. The Polo is my first choice even though I know it wont be easy replacing my esteem which is definitely an excellent car. You need to have one to know it.

The best thing I like about the Polo is the sober, classy styling inside and out. Also the features offered are so practical and usable in the mid-variant specially after it has started offering ABS and Airbags. The window up feature through the remote, all windows auto up-down, steering height and reach adjustment, etc are not given even with the top variants of the other options. What will I do will a start-stop button ?? No practical use actually. But whats given in the Polo will be used more often than not.

I have a couple of friends who have the Polo and are pretty happy with it. But the reviews make me skeptical. I know there are exceptions but am yet to figure out who are exceptions, people with good experience or bad

I will be on the highway once or twice a year but they would be pretty long trips. I would be around the 100-120 mark max and I think that way the Polo would be okay since I never floor the accelerator or try wheelspins. I am a sober driver, and the kind who pats the steering wheel apologising to the car incase I go over a bump or porthole without slowing down by mistake.

Saying this I don't want a car which has part failures even when you take care of it and since VW parts are expensive I wont be able to afford regular such instances.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 24th April 2014 at 19:40.
Old 24th April 2014, 22:40   #3000
BHPian

Quote:
Saying this I don't want a car which has part failures even when you take care of it and since VW parts are expensive I wont be able to afford regular such instances.
Altocumulus: The Polo has under gone numerous changes ever since it was launched and quite a few of the changes are not visible / noticeable by the end customer.

For instance: The ground clearance of the Oil Sump was raised and a protective sheet was provided as standard after numerous complaints regarding breakage of oil sumps due to low ground clearance issues. The protective sheet was also offered to older customers at a discounted rate to ensure minimizing of such damages.

VW also conducts "silent campaigns" where changes are done proactively based on a few complaints.

The Polos that are rolling out in the recent past have been rid of a lot of issues that have been discussed in this thread.

The best part is that you get a 2 yrs unlimited mileage warranty (4yrs or 1 lakh km if you opt for Extended Warranty) in the eventuality that something does go wrong.
f1dotcom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed