Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2014, 19:07   #3091
BANNED

How much discounts can we expect on the old polo once the new polo is officially announced ?
Old 5th June 2014, 19:15   #3092
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The other side of the coin...

The colour scheme looks like a cheap, badly done, home-designed mod. All it lacks is flames painted on the side.
It's a red car. The white you see are plastic cling wrap sheets over the red to prevent the car from getting scratched during transit.

Agree with you on the fake metal inserts in the dash. Just does not look classy.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 19:35   #3093
Senior - BHPian

I'm also not for the white inserts. It looks ok around the central console but very odd around vents. I hope they go back to how it was before.

What's looking good are double-barrel headlamps,MID with white backlight, chunkier steering wheel,new alloy design. What happened to the DRL's ?
Old 5th June 2014, 20:53   #3094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It's a red car. The white you see are plastic cling wrap sheets over the red to prevent the car from getting scratched during transit.

I just saw a picture in the newspaper of a Mercedes with a squared-off steering wheel. Is this a new trend? Does it make sense?
Old 5th June 2014, 21:02   #3095
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I just saw a picture in the newspaper of a Mercedes with a squared-off steering wheel. Is this a new trend? Does it make sense?
Yup. These are inherited from race cars which have square or flat bottomed steering wheels. I guess in road cars the advantage is that your thighs are not too close to the wheel and it just looks good. The bottom part and the top is rarely used on the wheel so I guess they decided to cut it off.
Old 5th June 2014, 21:32   #3096
Distinguished - BHPian

They could extend the idea to the road wheels. Save rubber.

I thought of the racing car thing as the obvious inspiration, but I would guess that racing cards have very different steering ratios? As to using the whole wheel, I do that often.

Oh well, maybe I'll get to try one day.
Old 6th June 2014, 08:05   #3097
Senior - BHPian

So, the launch is very near then. I like the fact that they haven't screwed up the rear. It still looks very smart and hope the VW badge (not logo) on the tailgate is gone for good. The cars immediately after the launch looked so much better without them.

The silver inserts on the dash looks cheap though. Hope the GT will retain the piano black finish there along with more black everywhere else and that superb Milan upholstery. Looks like the Instrument panel will glow white now, I am not a fan of the red currently.

Eagerly waiting to see how the 1.5 TDI with 104 BHP on tap will behave.
Old 6th June 2014, 10:55   #3098
DWC
BHPian

Been anticipating this launch for a while now.

The +'s:
1.5L TDI engine.
Droolworthy alloys
Headlamps
Steering wheel
White backlight for the instrument cluster

The -'s:
One bar of chrome on the grill. That too at the bottom of the grill, looks incomplete. Would have been best left out.
That thick line of chrome on the bumper.
The matte silver finish on the centre console. What were you thinking VW? Takes away completely from your clean, understated design philosophy.

Overall, not too happy with the uplift. Don't fix something that isn't broken.
Old 6th June 2014, 11:52   #3099
Senior - BHPian

We're missing the new MID but then we are getting a slightly upgraded one. The pre facelift car too never got the MID from the International Models.
Also, the awesome ICE on the International one is missing on the Indian one.

In India they have to keep the retail price of the car down and compete with cars from Hyundai that are considerably cheaper to make, so i guess we cannot complain if we do not get some gizmos.

Drive a Polo and compare with the Japanese and Koreans to know the difference IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-polo89.jpg  

Old 6th June 2014, 12:14   #3100
BHPian

Thank god we're getting the international steering wheel at least. I was pretty sure they would omit that for sure. But yeah, there is god
Old 6th June 2014, 13:40   #3101
BHPian

Something that many of us were waiting for is just around the corner.
Overall the update is very timely and hasn't taken away the elegant understated looks of the car.

I would love to upgrade my GT TDis headlights, the instrument cluster and the steering wheel to that of the new one. I even thought they might introduce RCD 510 in the upgrade - would have been sweet. I indeed hope that the GT versions get the rear bumper that of the International GT / GTi Polo.
Not a huge fan of that brushed aluminium looks around the center console, but got to see in person how it feels in real.

In between I am not sure if you have noticed the dead pedals. A very welcome move.
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-polo-dead-pedal.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The car in the photos is a petrol but looks like top of the line. It is most likely the 1.2L 3 cylinder petrol but just wondering if they got the 1.2TSI with a manual transmission as well.
Well that would be a killer combination. But I thought they would have placed the TSi badge at the rear if they were to upgrade the 3Cyl petrol. With respect to the diesel for some reason I am still betting that the upgrade wont be to an Indian spec 1.5 L diesel, but 1.4 L 3 Cyl with different states of tune. Rather I hope we get the international engine than an Indian specific one.

Anyway we are soon going to see a refreshed VW Polo in the showrooms.
rejoycjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 13:47   #3102
BHPian

Somebody please tell the Indian manufacturers that not everyone likes chrome on their cars!!! Tata,Hyundai,Honda,Fiat and now VW!!!

The Swift and the Polo are the only 2 hatchbacks that i admire for their timeless design and also cz they have no "chrome" on them!!! But this Polo facelift got me a little irritated. Don't get me wrong here, the car still looks classy but i feel the chrome strips are an eyesore. They should really have been an option for those who want it. And the silver garnish on the dash??? Really??? What was wrong with the existing layout??? IMO, they should've given additional features like electronic folding mirrors, LED DRLs, indicators on the OVRMs etc.

Thankfully not everything is lost! The headlamp design, alloys and the steering wheel are .
Old 6th June 2014, 13:58   #3103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Somebody please tell the Indian manufacturers that not everyone likes chrome on their cars!!!
The Polo's exterior seems to be inline with the Global launch, No additional chrome is added specifically for India . Picture shown for reference.

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-vwpolofacelift5.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 14:30   #3104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
In between I am not sure if you have noticed the dead pedals. A very welcome move.
Ah nice catch man! Increased the brightness of the image in Picasa and the dead pedal is clearly revealed.

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-0_468_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auextraimages20140605093719_img_20140605_142109.jpg

As for the MID inside the cluster, I am afraid it isn’t the same one present in the Laura or Jetta. The display is only slightly bigger compared to the present ones and the backlighting is similar to the climatronic display. I am sure this will not display any additional information. Just a different backlighting FWIW. Have a closer look.

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-0_468_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auextraimages20140605100454_img_20140605_142113.jpg
Old 6th June 2014, 16:38   #3105
BHPian

Seems like they have borrowed elements from the Jetta for the facelift , the front , the new steering wheel all resemble Jetta , the facelift seems to be tastefully done though unlike some manufacturers like Maruti (No offence) , who just murder their designs ruthlessly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks