Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2014, 10:33   #3121
BANNED

which will be more fun to drive ? better acceleration ? tsi dsg or tdi dsg ?

is it ok to assume tdi dsg would be atleast 1 lakh over the tsi dsg ?
Old 9th June 2014, 10:50   #3122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

The petrol could be more fun thanks to better weight distribution & hence better feedback. No matter how much weight saving they do on the diesel it is most likely going to be heavier than the petrol.

0-62 could be very very close with the diesel having loads of extra torque but having said i am not aware if the 1.2 tsi has any low end torque. Also keep in mind the weight advantage of the petrol. But expect the diesel to convincingly beat the petrol in the mid range.

I also expect both to be priced extremely close (presuming the TDi will have a DSG ) considering the 1500cc engine would avail of excise benefits. So perhaps the diesel might have a slight premium but not as high as a lakh, personal assumption ofcourse.
Old 9th June 2014, 12:06   #3123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have come across a superb video on youtube where the guy has shown the speedo and tacho of TSI and TDI version of the same car - I guess 1.8L Skoda octavia - side by side.

There is a big difference between the performance of petrol and a diesel and the petrol one simply leaves the diesel behind in dust.

Compare a normal petrol with a normal diesel. The diesel produces torque at a particular rpm and then run out of breath. This torque would most probably be less than a petrol. How many natural aspirated diesel engines you come across? So people came up with turbochargers to improve the performance so that they can come up to petrol levels.

Hence, today when someone talks about diesel torque - they are actually talking about the turbocharger effects. Kill the turbo and then see how the diesel mill performs.

In TSI engine, the turbocharger is present on the petrol engine, and thus superior performance.
Old 9th June 2014, 12:07   #3124
BANNED

when you say tdi will beat tsi in the mid range, how will it translate on the road ? could you give an example.

so when you say midrange does it mean if both are rolling at 30-40 kms and the accelerator is applied then the tdi dsg will be more responsive and faster to 100 than the tsi dsg ?

which would be then better suited for city driving vs highway driving ?

Last edited by rana_kirti : 9th June 2014 at 12:15.
Old 9th June 2014, 13:30   #3125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
when you say tdi will beat tsi in the mid range, how will it translate on the road ? could you give an example.

so when you say midrange does it mean if both are rolling at 30-40 kms and the accelerator is applied then the tdi dsg will be more responsive and faster to 100 than the tsi dsg ?

which would be then better suited for city driving vs highway driving ?

Here is some data from the tbhp GT TDi driver report itself for the GT TSi vs the currently on sale GT TDi ie the 1600cc mill since the 1500cc engine's power & torque ratings could be similar if not the same i.e 104hp & 250nm

The GT TSi has 104hp & a civic like 175nm @1500rpm itself right upto 4100rpm so it should be quick enough off the line especially with the lightning quick DSG.
Its power/weight is 91hp & torque/weight is 154 newton meters.

Now, the GT TDi has an identical 104hp & a shorter torque band but the magic figure here is 250NM @ 1500rpm itself.
The power/weight here is 90hp ie just 1 short of the TSi which is explained by the relatively minuscule additional 16kg weight of the TDi over the TSi (1156 vs 1140).

But just look at the difference between the torque/weight of the 2. The GT TDi stands at 216nm/ton. Considering the above data i expect the DSG to be the TSi's only saving grace to 100 vs the TDi and that too only to an extent where they might be so close it might be difficult to tell them apart.

Beyond 100 as we get into the mid 3 digit figures i expect the TDi to pull ahead with the TSi pulling back lost ground as they approach their upper limits as the TDi runs out of its torque band and the additional 7th gear in the DSG helping the TSi.

City driving vs Highway driving persuming the 1.5 TDi does get the DSG they would be more or less identical to drive in terms of ease in the city with the petrol ofcourse providing far superior refinement, cabin insulation etc than the diesel where as for highway driving i would still choose the TDi for that delicious 250nm from a low 1500rpm itself combined with the DSG providing power on tap and also a far superior FE than the petrol.

Europeans are known to make more robust diesels vis a vis their petrol cousins and are genuine mile munchers (effortless crusing, no red-lining).
With diesel , quality of fuel isnt as big an issue as it is with petrols. I would normally expect the petrol to have a better weight distribution overall thanks to the engine block being lighter and hence better feedback and handling but with only a 16kg weight difference in the current TSi & TDi i really wonder if there would be noticeable weight difference in the 1.5 TDi & the TSi. Who knows, handling on the new GT TDi might just be as good. So despite the price difference between petrol & diesel going down by the month for highway munching i would still choose the TDi over the TSi off the 2.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 9th June 2014 at 13:35.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 13:37   #3126
BANNED

Great analysis, you sir are a scholar. I'll stick with the tsi dsg since I have very less monthly running, mostly within the city and would prefer the quieter and more refined cabin.

Last edited by rana_kirti : 9th June 2014 at 13:38.
Old 11th June 2014, 00:06   #3127

Although all the brochures quote only 3 models TL-CL-HL, when enquired the dealer for Polo Petrol comfort line(middle variant), the dealer quotes that there are two different sub-variant in the same. While all the sites quote on chennai road price for Polo comfort line to be around 6.5 lakhs, couple of dealers in Chennai quote that price is for the model without ABS and airbags. For the model with ABS and airbag, it costs 6.97 Lakhs. Is that Polo CL comes with an additional option for ABS/airbags or Volkswagen did some price gimmics to show off big discounts? Any inputs?
Old 11th June 2014, 16:54   #3128
BANNED

hi guys quick query... I plan to sell the oem alloy wheels of my polo as soon as I get delivery as I'm upgrading.

what would be a fair price to sell the oem alloy wheels here in the classifieds ?

Last edited by rana_kirti : 11th June 2014 at 16:55.
Old 11th June 2014, 17:18   #3129
BANNED

Quote:
hi guys quick query... I plan to sell the oem alloy wheels of my polo as soon as I get delivery as I'm upgrading.

what would be a fair price to sell the oem alloy wheels here in the classifieds ?
Which car you booked/ facelift one or prefacelift ?
Not more than 10-15k In my opinion.
Old 11th June 2014, 18:27   #3130
BANNED

bro not booked yet. I'm waiting for vw to officially announce the facelift polo. will book next day.

I'm not sure if anyone can book the facelift version right now since it's not been officially announced as yet. bookings must be taking place only for the prefacelift no ?
Old 13th June 2014, 19:07   #3131
BANNED

hey guys I was reading a few reviews on the new face lifted 2014 polo and it seems vw have updated the steering system from the electro hydraulic setup to a new electro mechanical setup which has made it more responsive and quicker.

since the steering wheel seems to have changed in the new upcoming indian polo can we expect this new setup here too ?
Old 13th June 2014, 19:25   #3132

Quote:

I'm not sure if anyone can book the facelift version right now since it's not been officially announced as yet. bookings must be taking place only for the prefacelift no ?

I was speaking to a Volkswagen SA today and she said its possible to do that and numerous such bookings have already been done.. She was also pretty certain it will be released next month..
Old 13th June 2014, 23:35   #3133
BANNED

Quote:
bro not booked yet. I'm waiting for vw to officially announce the facelift polo. will book next day.

I'm also thinking to do the same hopefully.
I have talked with 3 dealers all said no info when it will launch, they can book the car but i don't want to get bound, they won't give you any discount/schemes as current no info available.
Old 13th June 2014, 23:53   #3134
BHPian

Interestingly the international Polo GTi won't come along for another couple of months. We could have taken some cues how the TSi or TDi would have turned out. With this steering change, seems like I will have to put the R-line steering wheel I bought on the market :(
Old 14th June 2014, 00:25   #3135
BHPian

Hey there folks,

I am on the verge of booking a 1.2 Highline ( Petrol ) ... The only thing that's holding me back is the launch of the facelift version.... Couple of newbie questions :

- Will the current versions be available once the new one is launched ? I am assuming there will be a discount on them, so should i wait it out ?
-Will the facelift version be priced higher than the current version ? I have been quoted 6.63L On road in Gurgaon, Haryana.
- If i pick up the polo now, assuming the facelift is launched next month, the value of my vehicle will plummet right ?
- Lastly, i want to keep my budget around 6.5-6.7.... Should i buy ? Or should i wait it out ?

This is my first new 4 wheeler - Would appreciate opinions from all you guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks