Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 16:21   #3241
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey gsurya I am not an expert on this, but I can try answering your queries. In any case, please do wait for some expert opinion.

If I am right, any car with ECU can be remapped. It is just about reprogramming the maps loaded by the manufacturer, which ofcourse requires immense domain knowledge.

But an expert who can remap will upfront admit that the performance gains on a N.A (Naturally Aspirated) engines like Polo 1.2 MPi are less or negligible. Driveability will surely improve but nothing extravagent will ever happen.

Turbocharged engines, whether Petrol or Diesel, respond better to remaps.

OT - gsurya why don't you hold on till the Bolt with 1.2 Revtron engine is here. Anyday, a remap on this engine will be better than on a Polo 1.2 MPi.
Thanks, I am already considering the Zest 1.2 Revotron too.. but yes, as Bolt may weigh a 100 kgs less, it may be even more peppy than the Zest.

I am just weighing my options between the 'Driver' friendly petrol hatch/compact sedans : Zest/Bolt, New Polo, New Swift, Etios Cross 1.5P, Punto 1.4P.
Old 16th July 2014, 18:20   #3242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
I would have very much liked to buy a VW Polo Manual 1.2 Tsi but sadly there is none forthcoming.

Can the VW Polo 1.2 Petrol ECU be remapped or other performance enhancements done after the warranty period? Anyone with experience / knowledge on this can help?
Simply put remapping a naturally aspirated engine will not yield any benefit. The gains would be negligible. Its only in turbo charged engines that you get 25%+ benefit.

My advice would be to go for Polo 1.2 TSi if your budget permits. DSG would be easy to drive in city and performance is superb. New Polo comes with 2+2 year extended warranty and issues with DSG have been sorted. There have been no complaints with newer DSG.
Old 16th July 2014, 18:37   #3243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
If you're referring to the Mayan Blue non-metallic shade, i.e this one:

Attachment 1262223

India will not be getting this shade sadly. We are getting the Night Blue version, carried over from the previous models and the Vento.
I'm indeed referring to the night blue colour. Sunshine does bring out the beauty in this.
Old 16th July 2014, 19:15   #3244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Simply put remapping a naturally aspirated engine will not yield any benefit. The gains would be negligible. Its only in turbo charged engines that you get 25%+ benefit.

My advice would be to go for Polo 1.2 TSi if your budget permits. DSG would be easy to drive in city and performance is superb. New Polo comes with 2+2 year extended warranty and issues with DSG have been sorted. There have been no complaints with newer DSG.
Thanks, I understood this. I really dont want an auto tranny right now, would have bought a Polo 1.2 TSi Manual immediately.
Old 16th July 2014, 19:26   #3245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
Take your pick, and congratulations on the new car! :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalchaudhary View Post
Thanks cr4nkshaft !

The new blue colour was confirmed by the guy there, so more choice and confusion, but the blue one will be the best I suppose, and I might go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
India will not be getting this shade sadly. We are getting the Night Blue version, carried over from the previous models and the Vento.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
Go for the Red one. And could you please confirm how much will be the otr price.

Thanks sunilsoft !

I also was expecting the Mayan Blue colour, but

Anyways, I'm getting Copper Orange Highline TDI as not only is it a new colour for Polo but also because we've never had a car of such a unique colour.

The On-Road Price of Highline TDI as quoted at VW Delhi West is 8.40 lacs.
Old 16th July 2014, 21:45   #3246
BHPian

So, I went to my hometown in Haryana (250 km from Delhi). VW showroom here is not as busy as in Gurgaon. I was able to get a detailed test drive (25-30 km). It was new Highline Tdi. Here goes the observations (Ride and handling). Please keep in mind that I am not an expert :

1. Engine and gearbox : Loads of torque right from 1100-1200 rpm. In-fact it is genuinely quick till 2500 rpm. Acceleration is really good with slight turbo kick. I loved the poise this car had even while accelerating. No funny stuff, no torque steer, no abruptness, no sudden turbo jump, just pure acceleration. Keep it in that band and the fun never stops. Post 2500 rpm the decrease in acceleration can be felt in a very gradual way. I changed gears around 3000 rpm and it was quick. May be this engine is not really rev friendly after 3300-3500 rpm. I could feel the power dipping very fast after that. I have driven 1.3 mjd for almost 1 lac km (old swift) and I can safely say that this 1.5 beats the hell out of any variant of 1.3 mjd. I have not driven i20 a lot so can't compare but this engine seems like the new hatch king until GT arrives. Gear changes were good however there was some amount of harshness to it. According to the VW rep this was a new car with just 200 km on it, it will get better as the miles catch up. I would like to believe him as I was driving it really harsh. Steering is light but enjoyable (especially at speeds).

To sum it up, there is an old saying : There is no replacement for displacement

2. Ride and handling : Ride has improved as the car eats the potholes better. I checked the rear seat as well and the poise is same. I must say that I felt the rear seat is slightly spacious than before. It is fine for hatchback standards. Ride gets better as you build speeds. Handling is very good and more than enough for even the enthusiasts. There is slight (minimal) body roll but that never hampers the driving and the capabilities of the car. You can feel the body roll only if drive insanely. When I was redlining the 2nd or 3rd gear and I could see the roll. BTW I saw some cars competing with me on highway. Almost every car was struggling to keep up. It even surprised some sedans. All in all it felt like a quick, stable, hot hatch.

Looking to book a Comfortline Tdi soon. I can say that I am deeply impressed with the 'New Polo'. I am almost ready to take the risk ( read VW after sales service )

Regards,
Varun

Moderators : There are is another thread running named 'Summary of changes: 2014 VW Polo'. I didn't update that thread to avoid repetition, as I believe this post is equally relevant there as well. Thanks
Zigor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 00:34   #3247
BHPian

I will be taking delivery of my new polo highline TDI soon.
I'm interested in doing a pre registration check. What are the things that I should really focus upon, considering that it can't be an old car ?
In fact I saw one today as well, but rejected it as I felt there was some misalignment in the front bumper. So I'll watch that carefully, but for VW, do I really need to check all the electrical things etc. ?
If some BHPians can guide me, I'll be very grateful.
You can PM me as well.
Thanks.
Old 17th July 2014, 08:09   #3248
BHPian

Quote:
I'm interested in doing a pre registration check. What are the things that I should really focus upon, considering that it can't be an old car ?
In fact I saw one today as well, but rejected it as I felt there was some misalignment in the front bumper. So I'll watch that carefully, but for VW, do I really need to check all the electrical things etc. ?
If some BHPians can guide me, I'll be very grateful.
You can PM me as well.
Thanks.
There's a PDI check-list here that's invaluable - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html. It saved me from buying a lemon Skoda.

I think you should budget for at least 3 hours, and do it in broad daylight. And please do it before you fill up / sign any registration forms.

Do check for EVERY electrical feature. Bear in mind that you will find yourself alone soon "after" you get the keys (unless you have taken a loan to finance the car).

All the best as I wait for my TSI.

Cheers,

Last edited by diffsoft : 17th July 2014 at 08:10.
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 20:34   #3249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
I was looking for 2 DIN music system and stumbled across EONON music systems. From the web, it looks really good and car specific models are also available with lots of features in the set.

Eonon D2208 | Car DVD | 2 Din Car DVD

They also have In-dash dvd players as per images below.
Has any of the team members bought this set and know if it is available in India? Any information on this is very helpful.
Your was the 2nd and last thread I found which mentions the HU from 'Eonon'. I was wondering if you went ahead with the purchase and how the product has been behaving since then. Please do let me know as it will greatly help me in deciding an HU upgrade for my car.
Old 18th July 2014, 17:09   #3250
BANNED

Hi fellow Polo Onwers,

Guys do you experience left pulling on your Polo ? The steering gently tends to turn left on its own ? And you have to generally constantly keep it turned a bit right to keep it running straight on the road ?

Thanks.
Old 18th July 2014, 18:54   #3251
BHPian

Quote:
I'm interested in doing a pre registration check.
In fact I saw one today as well, but rejected it as I felt there was some misalignment in the front bumper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
I think you should budget for at least 3 hours, and do it in broad daylight. And please do it before you fill up / sign any registration forms.

Do check for EVERY electrical feature. Bear in mind that you will find yourself alone soon "after" you get the keys (unless you have taken a loan to finance the car).
Thanks diffsoft. What exactly do you mean by - find yourself alone soon "after" you get the keys (unless you have taken a loan to finance the car.

I have another query -
the car that I checked the other day was not showing the odometer (perhaps, not sure) and also the security lock of the remote wasn't working, when I asked the guy at VW Delhi West said that the cars are in transit mode and that they have to be changed from that mode. When I asked that after that will the odometer show 0 km or the actual mileage, he said the actual mileage.

So, I'll be going to check another Polo tomorrow and if everything seems fine, I'll approve for registration.
My questions are -
1.) What the person told about transit mode, is it right ? If yes, how do I check the mileage ? And if no, what should be done ?
2.) Normally, how does one check the mileage in Polo, particularly for the new MID, as in which button to press and for how many times, etc.
Old 18th July 2014, 19:56   #3252
BHPian

@vishalchaudhary

What I meant was once you get the keys you will be helpless if you find your car is a lemon. Car maker, car dealer, RTO (or any regulatory body) will not come to your help and the car rots while you try to sort things out. If you have borrowed, the lender or the bank shares the risk with you because it is hypothecated to him. Handing over of the keys is also that critical point when the value of the car drops to 15% or so without even one revolution of the tyres. So be careful is what I wanted to convey.

On your other queries I was told that it should not be more than 30 km but the odo can be manipulated. Experts out here will help you though it is unlikely the dealer's boys will take the car out of the warehouse for a spin.

Cheers,

Last edited by diffsoft : 18th July 2014 at 20:00.
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 12:59   #3253
BHPian

Rats!

The engine check light has been glowing on my dashboard for some time now. When I took it to the workshop, the advisor said it was most probably some chewed wire and I could get it looked at during my annual service that was due shortly. Today was the big day and I just got a call saying that rats have damaged the oxygen sensor and its wiring. The advisor is asking me to replace both the sensor and the wiring, because the rats have apparently damaged the sensor socket which can't be repaired. The total cost comes to 10k! The advisor has recommended that I get it repaired asap to avoid problems like damage to the ECU, poor mileage, and vibrations.

Has anyone else faced such a problem? Help !

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 19th July 2014 at 13:08.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 14:24   #3254
BANNED

Today went with my friend to TD polo -
Positive -
- Steering wheel layout
- Clutch position has been rectified.
- Headlights provides good throw.
- Good pickup ( 1.5 TDI )

Negative -
- Steering wheel is too flimsy (Maybe upsizing tyre will help)
- Too pricey
- 1.2 MPI Is same as before.

So my friend has decided to not to go for 1.5 tdi highline as its costs 1.5 lakh over petrol highline 1.2, according to him its not worth it to spend 1.5lakh
No offers are being offered on polo atm.
Old 19th July 2014, 14:45   #3255
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
The engine check light has been glowing on my dashboard for some time now. When I took it to the workshop, the advisor said it was most probably some chewed wire and I could get it looked at during my annual service that was due shortly. Today was the big day and I just got a call saying that rats have damaged the oxygen sensor and its wiring. The advisor is asking me to replace both the sensor and the wiring, because the rats have apparently damaged the sensor socket which can't be repaired. The total cost comes to 10k! The advisor has recommended that I get it repaired asap to avoid problems like damage to the ECU, poor mileage, and vibrations.

Has anyone else faced such a problem? Help !
Very sad to hear about it. But rather than giving a go ahead to them, I would suggest you to trust only your eyes. Go to the service center and take a look at the damaged part yourself if it is indeed damaged by rats. In fact, you should have been there while they were working on it. Did you notice any other signs of rat menace in your car?

Plus I am equally shocked to learn that the ASC overlooked the MIL and asked you to get it checked later. Apparently according to them it was safe to drive at that time, but now, it can lead to ECU damage? That is strange.

Last edited by saket77 : 19th July 2014 at 14:47.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks