Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 15:52   #3301
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Back in the 1950s, there used to be deathly slow cars with rear-window stickers: Running In: Please Pass.

This is interesting, thanks !

Quote:
That kind of running in is long since gone, but a new vehicle should still be treated with care. That means not over-reving in any gear, and not braking too hard and sharp except in emergency.

Your SA is, I think, right, but be a little gentle with your new friend and help it live many years.
I'll do that, so far going slow, but get excited and over- rev once in awhile. I'll keep a tab on that.

Quote:
Does the manual offer any advice on this?
I haven't had the time to go through the manual yet, but now that you have mentioned it, i will take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Just Google "door step garnish" and you will know. They are just four pieces of plastic and metal that stick on the door step with 3M tape. They look nice.
Oh i get it now, also known as door sill plates- yes , very nice addition, especially when illuminated. Wonder if i can get it done without messing with my warranty.

Quote:
I got them as a freebie. They are nice, but I got bored after a while and got these. There are more expensive options like Maxpider, but these are VFM. I got mud flaps and a car cover too, never even opened the car cover...
The polo chaps were very stingy with freebies since it was a new launch. I got free fabric mats, mud flaps, two VW key rings, and a teflon coating.

Quote:
I thought about visors, but I saw a couple of Polos on the roads with visors and decided that they spoil the look of the car.
And unless you need to frequently park in some really tight spots, the reverse parking sensors on the Polo HL are pretty damn good. I never felt the need for a cam.
The usual visors that jut out of the window i don't like at all. But in my research before buying the polo i found one that was really sleek, and hence had them installed. The cam was a good buy for me, my parking spaces are a joke and the camera is really good. But now that i have used it for a couple of days, i feel that its a great option even if you don't park in tight spots. It gives me a fantastic 180 degree view, has night vision... besides, it just looks so cool the image magically appearing on the rear view mirror !

Quote:
I bought my Polo in June last year, and it still does not have seat covers. I've still not removed the plastic covers the car came in, and a lot of people think it is a new car. When I tell them, they stare at me.
I've got a couple of dogs that love car rides, so the seat cover installation was top priority. funny thing about your plastic covers though !!
Old 28th July 2014, 16:03   #3302
BHPian

just took a TD of the new polo, the new blue and burnt orange look nice, VW has done a good job with the apple shaped steering and the exterior tweaks, liked the double barrel lights. I must add that i was shocked to learn that the GTI is selling at just under 10L, with the DSG gear box that is.
Old 28th July 2014, 18:17   #3303
Senior - BHPian

Pavan Jacob: Congratulations on your new car. Hope it serves you with lots of memorable drives and with least time at service center (of course, without any issues as well). Beautiful looking blue. I know it may not but have a secret wish for the 1.2 TSI to come in this color too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My friend did a TD of the 1.5 TDI variant. At every gear change, the car jerked (momentary pause and then speed). We did TD it pretty spiritedly, because that's what my friend wanted to check.

Has anyone felt / Is everyone feeling the same when they TD the car or in their initial ownership?
Old 28th July 2014, 19:20   #3304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
My friend did a TD of the 1.5 TDI variant. At every gear change, the car jerked (momentary pause and then speed). We did TD it pretty spiritedly, because that's what my friend wanted to check.

Has anyone felt / Is everyone feeling the same when they TD the car or in their initial ownership?
That's because when you change gear by pressing clutch and again engage transmission, there would be a difference in engine rpm and transmission. You suddenly jump from 900 rpm to 2800+ rpm. This gap of 1700 rpm results in that jerk. You would notice rally car driver while changing gear, press accelerator so as to nullify that difference.

Its a crude answer but I hope clears your doubt.
Old 29th July 2014, 10:15   #3305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
That's because when you change gear by pressing clutch and again engage transmission, there would be a difference in engine rpm and transmission. You suddenly jump from 900 rpm to 2800+ rpm. This gap of 1700 rpm results in that jerk. You would notice rally car driver while changing gear, press accelerator so as to nullify that difference.

Its a crude answer but I hope clears your doubt.
Thanks El Lobo.. I know the drop in rpm when we change gears (btw, I drive myself) and there is an almost insignificant momentary pause when i change gears on my Fabia.

But while TDing the Polo 1.5, it felt like the car almost mildly self braked when we changed the gears; the jerk was very significant. Like i said earlier, my friend was driving spiritedly and the rpm dips were about 500 to 800 only, no more.. Hence my query (because it was vastly different from my car).
Old 29th July 2014, 10:32   #3306
DWC
BHPian

Quote:

Did TD the car for a good 20 minutes, 3/4th of it was on an open road. So yes, it was quite a spirited drive. There was no issue with the gearbox as you mentioned, it would be a pretty big goof up from VW if that was the case. In fact, changing gears was butter smooth during my TD. You should have taken a drive yourself to figure it out first hand.
Old 29th July 2014, 10:42   #3307
BHPian

Quote:
Pavan Jacob: Congratulations on your new car. Hope it serves you with lots of memorable drives and with least time at service center (of course, without any issues as well). Beautiful looking blue. I know it may not but have a secret wish for the 1.2 TSI to come in this color too.
Thanks Ajay ! I hope i spend least time at the service center too, been hassled past 2 yrs with the optra, need some peace now ! Hope your secret wish comes true !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:

Nothing noticed on the 1.2. Its smooth as can be and transition is hardly noticed at times.
Old 29th July 2014, 12:08   #3308
DWC
BHPian

Pavan, you seem to be the first guy here to have received the new polo. Please do us all a BIG favour and post some pics of the car. Would love to see her from all angles in the beautiful night blue colour.
Old 29th July 2014, 14:31   #3309
BANNED

Polo People,

Do you keep the mud flaps or not ? Does it spoil the beautiful design ?

Cheers
Old 29th July 2014, 15:33   #3310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Polo People,

Cheers
I had the mud flaps installed on my polo way back in 2011 when I bought my car. These mud flaps scrap the speed breakers (the big ones) no matter how carefully you drive and that scraping noise simply kills the overall driving experience.
Coming to the looks department I feel Polo looks much better without them. She looks more like a delicate darling with the mud flaps on
Old 29th July 2014, 15:38   #3311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Pavan, you seem to be the first guy here to have received the new polo. Please do us all a BIG favour and post some pics of the car. Would love to see her from all angles in the beautiful night blue colour.
DWC - Sure thing, i've already compiled a detailed initial ownership review. Pics to follow, have snapped enough pics during the day, will take some at night of the interiors etc so that you guys get an idea of how she looks now. Will post the review details once everything is ready - should be done by tomorrow.
pavan_jacob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 16:34   #3312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you keep the mud flaps or not ?
Yes, got them installed at purchase for my Vento. Given a choice now, would avoid it.

Quote:
Does it spoil the beautiful design ?
A big Yes!
Old 29th July 2014, 18:44   #3313
BHPian

Got my Polo Highline Petrol serviced today at VW Guwahati for its first annual service.
Car is used sparingly only. Only 2230 kms run till date. Total bill for the first service is Rs 6646/-. Breakup is as follows:

Engine oil=2910/-(3 litres)
Oil filter=325/-
Air filter=256/-
Pollen filter=694/-
Plug=170/-
Seal ring=30/-
Sampoo=321/-
Gasket=182/-
Brake cleaner=390/-
Water paper=20/-
Labour charges=1348.32

Grand total=6646.00
Costly car to maintain
Old 30th July 2014, 12:47   #3314
BHPian

Quote:
Polo People,

Cheers
For me utility prevails over looks - i would rather have clean wheel wells. The new Mud flaps look pretty cool, don't think it spoils the looks - however, one of the mud flaps broke yesterday when the car had 4 ppl and we crept over a speed breaker.... 4 days old - terrible quality obviously.
Old 1st August 2014, 09:58   #3315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_jacob View Post
What is this door step garnish you are talking about ? Maybe you could post a pic of the net ? Just curious !
Here are the pics I promised you:

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-polo_door_step_garnish_front.jpg

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-polo_door_step_garnish_back.jpg

I put them up here rather than in an email so that other members can have a look too. They cost me 1200 bucks (inclusive of installation). They are of good quality and have adhered firmly. I just hope the adhesive tape is long lasting... They do look quite classy don't they?

BTW, you can also see the famous plastic seat covers in the pics.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 1st August 2014 at 09:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks