Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 19:15   #331
Senior - BHPian

Whats the metal like on these? I know a few people in the UK who own Polo's and the door metal appears to be a bit thin than what you woul expect from VW. Well it does not have the solid feel of the Golf etc. Maybe they skimped on the metal to reduce costs when steel prices were high.
Old 6th March 2010, 22:03   #332
BHPian

Folks - Do we have any idea when 1.6 petrol will be launched? Overdrive has great review of the 1.2 petrol but others including GTO are not so enthusiastic about it. Looks like 1.6 should be able to address that and may also added electric OVRMS etc.
Old 7th March 2010, 10:46   #333
Senior - BHPian

Went & checked out the Polo yesterday at Elite Motors, Bangalore. I love the car but space does not feel any better than the Punto. Rear leg room is tight for tall people (5ft11"). VW have got their quality alright but I so wish they had the 1.6 from day one.

The engine bay is so empty. It sure looks like they can squeeze in a 2.5L engine & only then you find things tight fitting in there.

Whats not so great is the pricing. A little over 8Lacs (On Road) for the top of the line Diesel, 7Lacs (On Road) for the Petrol & this does not make any sense at all. I do agree that Hyundai's I20 is expensive but it offers a lot more room, a much better Diesel engine and I doubt if quality is anywhere off the VW.

One manufacturer that will be hit & I mean hit very hard will be Fiat & its only because of the overall quality of the car. The VW is leagues ahead over the Punto.

I absolutely love the Polo in Red but I have doubts if it will kick off in the way VW want it to.

According do Elite Motors; 10th is the official launch date & Drives will be offered too.
Old 7th March 2010, 11:04   #334
R17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
Another manufacturer who doesnt offer ABS+Airbags as an option on Base / Mid / High-end versions

Dont these manufacturers realize that there must be lots of customers who value ABS+Airbags over mp3 player, alloy wheels, chrome central console, etc.

Totally with you on that. Irrespective of the cost and logistic issues, I believe every car maker must offer the option of a Safety Pack (airbags, ABS, ESP) across the variant range. India may not be as mature yet as the western markets but the need to prioritize the essential goodies from the non-essential ones need not only be driven by a discerning slice of the indian consumer pie. I had high hopes from VW after the Jetta and the Passat but I guess the cost and volume concerns forced them to skimp.
Old 7th March 2010, 12:20   #335
BHPian

Does anyone here have the on-road pune price quote for the Polo?
Old 7th March 2010, 13:03   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
One manufacturer that will be hit & I mean hit very hard will be Fiat & its only because of the overall quality of the car. The VW is leagues ahead over the Punto.
IMO its just the fit and finish of interior stuff like dashboard or the steering column which is slightly bad in case of Punto and same is very good in Polo. Excluding that Punto, may be its petrol or diesel, beats Polo anyday!!!
Old 7th March 2010, 15:46   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Went & checked out the Polo yesterday at Elite Motors, Bangalore. I love the car but space does not feel any better than the Punto. Rear leg room is tight for tall people (5ft11"). VW have got their quality alright but I so wish they had the 1.6 from day one.

The engine bay is so empty. It sure looks like they can squeeze in a 2.5L engine & only then you find things tight fitting in there.

Whats not so great is the pricing. A little over 8Lacs (On Road) for the top of the line Diesel, 7Lacs (On Road) for the Petrol & this does not make any sense at all. I do agree that Hyundai's I20 is expensive but it offers a lot more room, a much better Diesel engine and I doubt if quality is anywhere off the VW.

I absolutely love the Polo in Red but I have doubts if it will kick off in the way VW want it to.

According do Elite Motors; 10th is the official launch date & Drives will be offered too.
Completely agree. The car is simply over priced.
Old 7th March 2010, 20:48   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
IMO its just the fit and finish of interior stuff like dashboard or the steering column which is slightly bad in case of Punto and same is very good in Polo. Excluding that Punto, may be its petrol or diesel, beats Polo anyday!!!
+1.

I myself checked both the cars ( not a TD ) . Only difference is fit and finish inside in few areas. I don't know about the plastic quality as I don't have any parameter to judge it on paper.

Another difference may be the gearbox which is better in Polo.

Other things like -

Looks - better in Punto ( although depends on individuals )
Space - better in Punto
Engines - better in Punto ( although I have not yet taken any TD of Polo m going by the reviews )
Handling - better in Punto ( same as above )
Stability and ride quality - better in Punto ( same as above )
Equipment level - Punto eats Polo

So I don't see any big difference between overall offering , forget about leagues.
Old 7th March 2010, 21:22   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
may be its petrol or diesel, beats Polo anyday!!!
While excitedly reading this thread and the pricelist of EVM Trivandrum, I decided to check out the prices of i20 and GP in Trivandrum for a comparison.

Guess what? fiat-india.com is down!! Verified it again before submitting this, their website is not online on the eve of a rival launch...

No offence to you HammerHead, but anyone can beat Fiat India at anytime. These guys will never learn.
Old 7th March 2010, 21:35   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
While excitedly reading this thread and the pricelist of EVM Trivandrum, I decided to check out the prices of i20 and GP in Trivandrum for a comparison.

Guess what? fiat-india.com is down!! Verified it again before submitting this, their website is not online on the eve of a rival launch...

No offence to you HammerHead, but anyone can beat Fiat India at anytime. These guys will never learn.
During the price update few days back , their site was down for few hours. I had checked their site last around 7PM and it was fine. Guess they probably updating the colours of GP or updating their site for GP 1.2 dynamic and emotion.

IMO, it's not fair to assume any company can beat FIAT , just because their site is down for some maintenance work

If you need price information urgently , you can check "http://www.fiatpunto.in" . These microsites are always up for details.

Last edited by worldcrawler : 7th March 2010 at 21:37.
Old 7th March 2010, 21:48   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcrawler View Post
During the price update few days back , their site was down for few hours.
Thank worldcrawler. I'm aware about their microsite.

We are going OT here, but why should someone take the entire site out offline just to append a page or two? I've been doing sort of "webmaster" work for the last 10 years for a living ...:

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 7th March 2010 at 21:50.
Old 7th March 2010, 22:02   #342
Senior - BHPian

Why is the GP or Fiat's failure to maintain their website being discussed in a Polo thread?

Can anyone confirm when TDs start in Delhi?
Old 7th March 2010, 22:16   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116 View Post
Just checked out polo at the showroom in calicut.The place was teemin
Weirdly i could not find a decent driving position.Shorter people will find road visibilty hampered especially due to high set dash and low seats.The petrol engine at idle has a lot of vibrations(like an indica v2) which get transmitted a fair bit into cabin.The engine noise on a rev is sporty,better sounding than the one in figo.
I checked out the Polo today and also had the same observation. I am 5.5" drive a Palio and I just could not find the comfortable driving position even after meddling with seat and steering adjustments.

The rear seat is quite cramped when compared to Palio. It will be difficult to fit in 3 adults there.

The fit and finish in the inside it top-notch. The Punto's steering is probably better to hold that Polo, but other than that, the insides are much better. Also liked the short gearshifts.
Old 7th March 2010, 22:26   #344
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO the Polo is overpriced for what it offers. The quality may be top-notch, but the basic 3-cylinder petrol engine, cramped interiors and the sparse dealer network makes things worse for VW. When comparing the base versions, the Ritz seem to be a better choice and when comparing high-end versions, the i20 definitely makes more sense. On the contrary, though Figo may not match the quality levels of the Polo, it is a highly-VFM hatch with a good dealer network and surely makes sense for our roads.
Old 7th March 2010, 23:22   #345
BHPian

Check out the Autocar road test of the Polo here

Utvinews Autocar road test

Again the same conclusions...
Underpowered engines
Poor space utilization

If it werent for the VW badge on this car no one would have given it a second look also !
3 pot engine ! Get a life VW !

Most Viewed