Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2014, 13:51   #3451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post
Hi Polo owners, I have been in the market to buy a petrol hatchback and has been weighing options. Almost finalized at grand i10 Asta(O). Has not been a lot impressed by grands long term reports however I still think i10 is a good choice as it adequately satisfies all areas and probably excels in none. Lately polo has got in to my head with its incredible looks and amazing paint quality as well as the said superior build quality. Long term usability (read 6 to 7 years) is something I value and I feel polo could be better option from that perspective. However the three cylinder engine and said high maintenance and spares cost is something that holding me back. Would highly value suggestions of owners here. Please provide your valuable suggestions.
I am a Polo petrol owner and I can assure you that you won't regret your decision of buying the Polo at any point of time. Polo is a car that grows on you.
Regarding the 3 cylinder engine, yes it is noisier when compared to other engines but is an excellent city as well as highway performer.
Maintenance costs are a little higher but the long service intervals compensate for that.
The only grouse I have with this car is the rear legroom, it is very less as compared to other cars, so make sure that isn't a problem for you.
All the best for your search :thumbup:
Old 24th December 2014, 13:53   #3452
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:

However the three cylinder engine and said high maintenance and spares cost is something that holding me back. Would highly value suggestions of owners here. Please provide your valuable suggestions.
Hey Sid13 I have neither driven the 3 Cylinder petrol nor have owned a Polo for a very long time to give you an in-depth ownership experience. But I have owned Hyundai cars for over 7 years, until I bought my first VW Polo GT, about 6 months back.

So here are my few cents on Hyundai vs VW cars & ownership:

- IMO Polo was never an option for many young 'First time buyers' in India due to high price, cost of ownership, questionable after sales and predominantly lack-luster engines. All this has changed with 2014 Polo and how.

- I have driven Grand I10 1.2 VTVT over a long distance and must admit it is way ahead of the regular I10. That 1.2l VTVT engine on Grand I10 is a Gem and the Polo's 1.2 3 cyl Petrol engine is no match.

- Grand I10 has lot more space than Polo at the rear. Also, if you need a car that will carry elders a lot, Grand I10 is a better bet with softer suspensions as compared to a Polo.

- VW has a lot of ground to make up for in customer satisfaction as compared to Hyundai. But having owned my first VW for a while now, I can positively say that at least in my case, VW India seem to be headed the right way.

- Whether its the quality of the interiors, parts, fit or finish, Polo is by far the segment leader, but Grand I10 is surely not too far behind.

So you make the decision.

P.S -
If you are looking at 1.2 Polo (non-TSI), personally I would suggest you to consider Trendline 1.5 TDi. Take my word on this, you will never regret your decision. Moreover, many of the Safety kits are standard on all Polo now.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 24th December 2014 at 14:02.
Old 24th December 2014, 14:59   #3453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey Sid13 I have neither driven the 3 Cylinder petrol nor have owned a Polo for a very long time to give you an in-depth ownership experience. But I have owned Hyundai cars for over 7 years, until I bought my first VW Polo GT, about 6 months back.

So here are my few cents on Hyundai vs VW cars & ownership:

- IMO Polo was never an option for many young 'First time buyers' in India due to high price, cost of ownership, questionable after sales and predominantly lack-luster engines. All this has changed with 2014 Polo and how.

- I have driven Grand I10 1.2 VTVT over a long distance and must admit it is way ahead of the regular I10. That 1.2l VTVT engine on Grand I10 is a Gem and the Polo's 1.2 3 cyl Petrol engine is no match.

- Grand I10 has lot more space than Polo at the rear. Also, if you need a car that will carry elders a lot, Grand I10 is a better bet with softer suspensions as compared to a Polo.

- VW has a lot of ground to make up for in customer satisfaction as compared to Hyundai. But having owned my first VW for a while now, I can positively say that at least in my case, VW India seem to be headed the right way.

- Whether its the quality of the interiors, parts, fit or finish, Polo is by far the segment leader, but Grand I10 is surely not too far behind.

So you make the decision.

P.S -
If you are looking at 1.2 Polo (non-TSI), personally I would suggest you to consider Trendline 1.5 TDi. Take my word on this, you will never regret your decision. Moreover, many of the Safety kits are standard on all Polo now.
Thanks for the quick response .
First of all diesel is not a sensible option for me considering usage. So TDI is ruled out. I do understand that the Hyundai's VTVT is a great engine on par with maruti. Also we cannot really expect a three cylinder to match four cylinder in terms of refinement and driveability. However from your response it appears to me the difference is huge that it could be a sore point. Could you please elaborate on that point? Would like to understand your perspective better.

Also, is the ride quality of polo much lesser compared to grand that it would worry elderly? I thought ride quality of polo is balanced and one of its strong point? Guess I am missing something here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
I am a Polo petrol owner and I can assure you that you won't regret your decision of buying the Polo at any point of time. Polo is a car that grows on you.
Regarding the 3 cylinder engine, yes it is noisier when compared to other engines but is an excellent city as well as highway performer.
Maintenance costs are a little higher but the long service intervals compensate for that.
The only grouse I have with this car is the rear legroom, it is very less as compared to other cars, so make sure that isn't a problem for you.
All the best for your search :thumbup:
Thanks for the quick response!

Can you please be specific in terms of maintenance cost and mileage. This is because expensive, cheap etc can be very relative terms thanks one again!

Last edited by Aditya : 24th December 2014 at 18:40. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 24th December 2014, 18:35   #3454
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Polo owners, I have been in the market to buy a petrol hatchback and has been weighing options. Almost finalized at grand i10 Asta(O). Has not been a lot impressed by grands long term reports however I still think i10 is a good choice as it adequately satisfies all areas and probably excels in none. Lately polo has got in to my head with its incredible looks and amazing paint quality as well as the said superior build quality. Long term usability (read 6 to 7 years) is something I value and I feel polo could be better option from that perspective. However the three cylinder engine and said high maintenance and spares cost is something that holding me back. Would highly value suggestions of owners here. Please provide your valuable suggestions.

Well just one input from annual Maintenance Point of view, Servicing costs might not be that high as perceived if you put a little effort while giving your car for servicing. You would have to be clear what all services you choose and try avoiding wheel alignment, wiper fluid, etc for which they charge pretty high.

However if the concern is spare parts, yes it would be higher but I dont believe it would be higher than 20-30% as compared to Maruti (I think maintenance costs of A/ A+ segment cars of Maruti are really cheap as compared to Swift). Well you can consider that the price of premium for the build quality of German cars. In hindsight, we are all willingly pay premium towards brand's perceived quality even for somewhat less efficient things ranging from clothes, watches, iPhones (well i do have an iPhone 6) to even residential homes and airlines that we travel in.

I have both Swift and Polo for past 2 years and have paid ~10% higher in service costs over Swift. But the smiles that I get when driving Polo is far more than that in Swift.

Finally please go ahead with what your heart says with some inputs from your top floor!

Always Happy to help!
Old 24th December 2014, 19:27   #3455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
Well just one input from annual Maintenance Point of view, Servicing costs might not be that high as perceived if you put a little effort while giving your car for servicing. You would have to be clear what all services you choose and try avoiding wheel alignment, wiper fluid, etc for which they charge pretty high.
Hey thanks for the response! I totally agree with the part that we pay extra for perceived brand value.

However in case of VW I do hope that a certain percent of that premium owners pay is going to the making better quality spares (in comparison).

Last edited by GTO : 20th January 2015 at 12:38. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 25th December 2014, 11:27   #3456
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please be specific in terms of maintenance cost and mileage. This is because expensive, cheap etc can be very relative terms thanks one again!
My car has clocked 50k kms and is 3 years old i.e. I have got 3 paid servicing done and the highest amount I have paid was ~7k for the 45k Km service and the lowest was 5k for the 15k KM service. Other than the regular service I have got the break pads changed once few months back.
As someone has said above, you have to be careful about the services you opt for. Don't let them do anything more than what the service schedule suggests (wheel alignment, balancing, interior cleaning etc etc.).
Old 25th December 2014, 12:42   #3457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
My car has clocked 50k kms and is 3 years old i.e. I have got 3 paid servicing done and the highest amount I have paid was ~7k for the 45k Km service and the lowest was 5k for the 15k KM service. Other than the regular service I have got the break pads changed once few months back.
As someone has said above, you have to be careful about the services you opt for. Don't let them do anything more than what the service schedule suggests (wheel alignment, balancing, interior cleaning etc etc.).
Thanks for the informative response. It would be helpful if you could throw some light on the mileage part as well..
Old 25th December 2014, 22:55   #3458
BANNED

Sid, I'd recommend you to spring for atleast the comfortline model (ABS).
This is what I'd say.
If you're looking only at the 1.2 (P), go for the grand i10 instead. It is more refined and is loaded to the gills.
Go for the polo only if you're springing for the GT twins or the 1.5 TDI. The 1.2(P) is anemic and so the fun of driving a German is taken away.
Old 26th December 2014, 09:57   #3459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response .

Could you please elaborate on that point? Would like to understand your perspective better.

Also, is the ride quality of polo much lesser compared to grand that it would worry elderly? I thought ride quality of polo is balanced and one of its strong point? Guess I am missing something here...
Hey Sid13 you are right with respect to a 4cyl VTVT engine from Hyundai being far more refined, robust and technologically advanced vis-a-vis Polo's 1.2 3cyl N.A engine. As I have mentioned before, I have not driven the Polo 1.2 N.A but have only tried the Gand I10 1.2 VTVT. I can assure you that you will not be left wanting for more with this car in that disguise.

This along with the Honda's 1.2 Vtec and Maruti's 1.2 Kappa are the best choices for N.A Petrol engines in India for now.

Regarding the ride quality, I did not mean that Polo will pose any problems to elders. On the contrary, elders may just like the more composed and mature ride that German cars provide against the softer tuned suspensions of a Korean brand. Grand I10 has a much more plush and soft ride, which works best at low speeds, in city drives, etc.

Also as H_Dogg72 has mentioned above, my vote is for Grand I10 over the Polo 1.2 N.A. Not that Polo is a dud in that engine option, its just that you have much better choices available at the same price point.

So you please put your requirements down and choose your next car according to the most vital options that matter to you.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 26th December 2014 at 10:01.
Old 26th December 2014, 10:21   #3460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Sid, I'd recommend you to spring for atleast the comfortline model (ABS).
This is what I'd say.
If you're looking only at the 1.2 (P), go for the grand i10 instead. It is more refined and is loaded to the gills.
Go for the polo only if you're springing for the GT twins or the 1.5 TDI. The 1.2(P) is anemic and so the fun of driving a German is taken away.
Thanks for the response. In fact, grand was my first choice. However I got bit tilted towards Polo due to perceived better build quality and more matured and classic looks. I think if I can consider polo may be I could consider elite i20 as well. However the same engine which does good job in grand appear not adequate in the case of elite I guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey Sid13 you are right with respect to a 4cyl VTVT engine from Hyundai being far more refined, robust and technologically advanced vis-a-vis Polo's 1.2 3cyl N.A engine. As I have mentioned before, I have not driven the Polo 1.2 N.A but have only tried the Gand I10 1.2 VTVT. I can assure you that you will not be left wanting for more with this car in that disguise.

This along with the Honda's 1.2 Vtec and Maruti's 1.2 Kappa are the best choices for N.A Petrol engines in India for now.

Regarding the ride quality, I did not mean that Polo will pose any problems to elders. On the contrary, elders may just like the more composed and mature ride that German cars provide against the softer tuned suspensions of a Korean brand. Grand I10 has a much more plush and soft ride, which works best at low speeds, in city drives, etc.

Also as H_Dogg72 has mentioned above, my vote is for Grand I10 over the Polo 1.2 N.A. Not that Polo is a dud in that engine option, its just that you have much better choices available at the same price point.

So you please put your requirements down and choose your next car according to the most vital options that matter to you.
Thanks for the response. If at all I go for polo it wouldn't be for a better engine I believe. It would be for better build quality, more matured and classic looks, better safety due to better build quality and handling and steering feedback better than that of grand.
Old 26th December 2014, 11:37   #3461
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the informative response. It would be helpful if you could throw some light on the mileage part as well..
The following is the log that I maintain: My style of driving is around 75% sedate and more runs on the Mumbai Freeway.

Please note that spike in the average is during a long drive to satara where I made sure I didnt cross 100-110 and drove sedate including on ghats to Mahabaleshwar. All data are measured tank full to tank full method. The lowest point is in a terrible B2B traffic where it took more than 3 hrs to cover a distance of 10 kms for 3-4 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_2617.png  

Last edited by rahulk2510 : 26th December 2014 at 11:47.
Old 26th December 2014, 12:22   #3462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
The following is the log that I maintain: My style of driving is around 75% sedate and more runs on the Mumbai Freeway.

Please note that spike in the average is during a long drive to satara where I made sure I didnt cross 100-110 and drove sedate including on ghats to Mahabaleshwar. All data are measured tank full to tank full method. The lowest point is in a terrible B2B traffic where it took more than 3 hrs to cover a distance of 10 kms for 3-4 days.
That was immensely helpful. Thank you! Would be great if other owners can also post similar logs so that all can compare and also to get better idea about consistency.
Old 3rd January 2015, 10:01   #3463
BHPian

Booked the Polo 1.2 (p) Highline. Delivery expected before end of January(not in a hurry anyway). Guys, anything I should notice or check particularly about Polo (Other than the things in Team BHP PDI Checkilist). Please comment.
Old 4th January 2015, 00:21   #3464
BANNED

Quote:
Booked the Polo 1.2 (p) Highline. Delivery expected before end of January(not in a hurry anyway). Guys, anything I should notice or check particularly about Polo (Other than the things in Team BHP PDI Checkilist). Please comment.
Congratulations!
Just check the VIN and you're good apart from the PDI list.

You know, I would recommend you to test drive the elite i20.
There's pretty much zilch you're getting over the i20 when you choose the 1.2P.
Give it a try. The petrol isn't exciting at all.
The hyundai 1.2 is extremely refined.

Bear in mind, all of this is coming from a guy who owns a polo himself.
When you're buying the polo, you have the following choices
1.5 tdi or GT
1.2(P) is not in the running.

Elite i20(P) is just 35k more expensive
Pay 2L more for the GT, Thats like 3k more on the 7 year installment, a SMALL price to pay for a hound of a car.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 4th January 2015 at 00:29.
Old 4th January 2015, 07:58   #3465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Congratulations!
Just check the VIN and you're good apart from the PDI list.

You know, I would recommend you to test drive the elite i20.
There's pretty much zilch you're getting over the i20 when you choose the 1.2P.
Give it a try. The petrol isn't exciting at all.
The hyundai 1.2 is extremely refined.

Bear in mind, all of this is coming from a guy who owns a polo himself.
When you're buying the polo, you have the following choices
1.5 tdi or GT
1.2(P) is not in the running.

Elite i20(P) is just 35k more expensive
Pay 2L more for the GT, Thats like 3k more on the 7 year installment, a SMALL price to pay for a hound of a car.
Thanks for the response....First of elite i20s petrols power is not so much much different to POLO. If we look at the power to weight ratio that would be evident(If we compare Polo with swift or even Liva then the difference is considerable). If POLO is underpowered then the elite i20 Petrol also would not make much difference. Compared to Elite Polo offers a more compliant ride, better steering feel and definitely better build quality. If at all I have to go for i20 only the diesel would make sense from power perspective. Considering my usage, diesel is not necessary especially with the current thin price difference between petrol and diesel.

Considering the roads we have here in Kerala I believe the power delivery of Polo petrol would be adequate. Also, I would not be much of a fast mover, my driving style would be sedate mostly.

I would have booked elite i20 only if rear legroom was my highest priority. However I do agree that the 4 cylinder Hyundai engine is comparatively more refined.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks