Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2015, 21:34   #3481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
Took a test drive of the new Polo 90BHP version Highline. Here are my findings:

Good interiors, build quality is good, doors shut in three stages, dual barrel headlamps look like thompson submachine gun to me, the car just feels better and had this aura of quality to it. The front chrome lining on the bumper was not to my taste.

Engine: This is the engine VW should have gone with in the first place. It just feels better to the previous engine and even though there is clatter it somehow feels better. The engine pulls cleanly, in city it is perfect. There is enough power to close gap and stay in the power range. It will suit 90% of your taste in highways but the additional 15 horses will be felt when you want to do a quick overtake or just want to keep up with a fast moving vehicle. The 90HP loses out on top end grunt.

So will I buy it? Yes its perfect for city and almost everything
Will I recommend it? VW needs to work on its ASS otherwise YES ABSOLUTELY
Which version are you talking about? Diesel or petrol TSI or TDI would be great if you can throw some light.
Old 19th January 2015, 01:06   #3482
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post

Which version are you talking about? Diesel or petrol TSI or TDI would be great if you can throw some light.
GT TSI - 104 BHP
TDI - 90 BHP
GT TDI - 105 BHP

So what has be driven is the TDI (regular version).
Old 19th January 2015, 19:48   #3483
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
The polo petrol is like a diesel and commuter in nature. The i20 petrol is so silent, you might crank it thinking it is off. Have a test drive, mate. Build quality is pretty much the same, with the i20 edging out on stalk quality along with button quality. Ride, if there's no power, then what're you going to do with it? Steering, the polo has a slow rack, i20 is lifeless but very good at city speeds.

I don't know, if I was in your shoes, I'd stretch my budget to the 1.5 highline or TSI If the budget can't be stretched, then i20 (P) it is. You'll have better reliability along with somewhat similar maintenance cost.
Booking cancellation would cost just 4k.
Hi, I had extensive test drives in both i20 (old) and polo. Yes - the i20 petrol is silent and feels a bit more refined. Polo feels a bit raw compared. But on the test rides I had taken, the polo suspension felt far more matured. And IMHO I felt the polo a bit more responsive when I stepped on the gas, probably it was i20 sheer weight - I couldn't guess.

Yes - I miss the rear view camera, key less entry, the bigger rear leg space - but I wouldn't want them for the impeccable handling in polo, especially around the corners. Swift (both petrol & diesel) sometimes leaves me longing for more power, but once we cross the sluggish lower end in the third gear, polo would be alive!

And polo wasn't completely flawless as well. I had a a minor issue on the front wheel in 2 months - was fixed promptly by the dealer. I hear minor rattles from the windows. In hindsight, I would have tried the new 1.5 diesel. But I don't regret the 1.2 and am happy so far. This is my first car and I would have definitely overlooked something! I didn't try the i20 elite, but I hear the suspension has improved.
Old 20th January 2015, 17:46   #3484
BHPian

Guys,

Has '2015 made' polos started arriving at the dealerships? Anybody got one? By the way I am in Kerala.

I was about to book a polo(petrol) and the SA told me that only 2014 made ones are available now and i will have to wait till April if i needed a 2015 made one. Is that true? He even that said it may cost me extra by a lakh!

Now the problem is, We need a particular registration number(we have this number for every rides) and if i need it, i will have to register the new vehicle by February first week. So in short if i need a polo it will be of '2014 make'.

So guys should i book a 2014 made one? I will be using the car for more than 5 years. So do i need to take the 'Year of Manufacture' factor seriously?
And if i wait for 2015 made one, I will be losing my favorite number.

Please advice.

Last edited by blueeyed : 20th January 2015 at 18:08. Reason: Corrected some typos.
Old 20th January 2015, 19:41   #3485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyed View Post

I was about to book a polo(petrol) and the SA told me that only 2014 made ones are available now and i will have to wait till April if i needed a 2015 made one. Is that true? He even that said it may cost me extra by a lakh!

Now the problem is, We need a particular registration number(we have this number for every rides) and if i need it, i will have to register the new vehicle by February first week. So in short if i need a polo it will be of '2014 make'.

So guys should i book a 2014 made one? I will be using the car for more than 5 years. So do i need to take the 'Year of Manufacture' factor seriously?

Please advice.
In general the SA is probably exaggerating in an attempt to push 2014 stock. And i don't think the price will increase by 1 lakh.Having said that, since the polo petrol is not a big seller and also seeing the offer ads even on the diesel. It would be safe to assume that dealers are sitting on 2014 stock. So I doubt you will be able to get a 2015 car by Feb.

If you are planning to keep it for more than 5 years, in my opinion , the manufacture year is not important. On top of that it is a VW car and a petrol. Resale value will not be great anyway.
Suggest you go ahead with the 2014 car. The discount you get will balance off any loss in resale value.
Old 20th January 2015, 19:54   #3486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
In general the SA is probably exaggerating in an attempt to push 2014 stock. And i don't think the price will increase by 1 lakh.Having said that, since the polo petrol is not a big seller and also seeing the offer ads even on the diesel. It would be safe to assume that dealers are sitting on 2014 stock. So I doubt you will be able to get a 2015 car by Feb.

If you are planning to keep it for more than 5 years, in my opinion , the manufacture year is not important. On top of that it is a VW car and a petrol. Resale value will not be great anyway.
Suggest you go ahead with the 2014 car. The discount you get will balance off any loss in resale value.
Thank you Rajeevraj,

I was of the same opinion but thought i should first ask the fellow bhpians(for any difference in opinion?).
I think i should inquire about it in a few more showrooms and take a final decision.
Old 20th January 2015, 20:19   #3487
BHPian

Quote:

Please advice.
Hello, I booked polo highline petrol on Jan 1st in Kochi and is expecting delivery this weekend. SA informed me today morning that what has been shipped by VW is 2015 models and 2014 models are no longer available. The price difference seems to be 30 to 34 K on on road price which is due to the difference in excise duty.
Old 20th January 2015, 20:50   #3488
BHPian

It depends on the month in which the company ends its fiscal year, for Hyundai its March every year. I've been told that they deliver cars made in 2014 until April 2015 but for VW, after my inquiry with them last month, I was told they'd deliver 2015 models.
Old 20th January 2015, 23:15   #3489
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, I booked polo highline petrol on Jan 1st in Kochi and is expecting delivery this weekend. SA informed me today morning that what has been shipped by VW is 2015 models and 2014 models are no longer available. The price difference seems to be 30 to 34 K on on road price which is due to the difference in excise duty.
Please see the latest Polo models which were launched late in 2014 are called "2015 model". The VIN number would tell you that (F letter in the VIN). I also got my Polo 1.5 TDI Highline registered in Jan '15 and its 2015 model only. What makes difference is Manufacturing year. When I last enquired about this, in Palace Cross Bangalore, I was told it would atleast take March to get the 2015 manufactured polo.
I also, didn't really worry much about manufacturing year, since, I was not buying it from resale point of view
Old 21st January 2015, 05:45   #3490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbshankar View Post
Please see the latest Polo models which were launched late in 2014 are called "2015 model". The VIN number would tell you that (F letter in the VIN). I also got my Polo 1.5 TDI Highline registered in Jan '15 and its 2015 model only. What makes difference is Manufacturing year.
But for VW, they have their model year different from production year. According to the ' decode your vin ' thread 4th character refers to month while 5th and 6th characters combinely gives the year of production, which can be different from the model year.
So all who bought polos this month, Please check your production year. Is it 2015?
Old 21st January 2015, 10:44   #3491
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But for VW, they have their model year different from production year. According to the ' decode your vin ' thread 4th character refers to month while 5th and 6th characters combinely gives the year of production, which can be different from the model year.
So all who bought polos this month, Please check your production year. Is it 2015?
Right. Model year changes to the next year as early as September/October of previous year. My Vento TSI is Oct 2013 manufactured, but model year as per VIN is 2014.
Old 21st January 2015, 17:41   #3492
BHPian

Quote:
Sid, can you please confirm whether the Polo you are getting is a 2015 manufactured one? May be your SA was referring to the model year, which is 2015 for all new Polos as suggested by the above posts.
Old 21st January 2015, 18:14   #3493
BHPian

My Polo is Nov 2014 manufactured 2015 model.

Today Sales person had visited me to check out how I m feeling with my new Polo 1.5TDI. I enquired with him also today about the 2015 manufactured 2015 models. He said, it would be available some time in March, but refused to confirm though. They still have 2014 manufactured stock, which they are still clearing.

I m not sure why everybody is so worried about whether its 2014 manufactured or 2015. There is not even a bit of change between them. Yeah, I know there is this thing called 'resale'! who keeps us away from having fun "NOW".

Last edited by ssbshankar : 21st January 2015 at 18:20. Reason: for more clarity
Old 21st January 2015, 20:25   #3494
BHPian

Quote:
Sid, can you please confirm whether the Polo you are getting is a 2015 manufactured one? May be your SA was referring to the model year, which is 2015 for all new Polos as suggested by the above posts.
When I asked the dealer he said its a 2015 VIN. Having said that I really do not know if its a 2015 manufactured model as I am yet to get the VIN. After reading the above posts I feel it might be a 2014 manufactured model with 2015 VIN, I think it would go in the RTO books as 2015 model.

However I believe irrespective of the manufacturing year if as per VIN if its a 2015 model you will have to pay the excess in excise duty plus proportionate increase in insurance and road tax. I am not too sure about this. Probably more experienced members can provide more clarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbshankar View Post
I also got my Polo 1.5 TDI Highline registered in Jan '15 and its 2015 model only. What makes difference is Manufacturing year. When I last enquired about this, in Palace Cross Bangalore, I was told it would atleast take March to get the 2015 manufactured polo.
Hi Shankar, Could you please confirm if you had to pay the difference due to increased excise duty?

Last edited by aah78 : 21st January 2015 at 23:19. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 21st January 2015, 21:05   #3495
BHPian

Quote:
When I asked the dealer he said its a 2015 VIN. Having said that I really do not know if its a 2015 manufactured model as I am yet to get the VIN. After reading the above posts I feel it might be a 2014 manufactured model with 2015 VIN, I think it would go in the RTO books as 2015 model.

However I believe irrespective of the manufacturing year if as per VIN if its a 2015 model you will have to pay the excess in excise duty plus proportionate increase in insurance and road tax. I am not too sure about this. Probably more experienced members can provide more clarity.
Thank you for the reply. Considering the fact that the demand for petrol polos is very less, i think if we book now, we will be receiving only the 2014 manufactured ones.
Any confirmation on your polo's delivery date?
Do update here with any information regarding the year of manufacture.

Most Viewed