Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2010, 17:16   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Here you go. Prices as on 08-03-10
Wow... the diesel is whooping 80K more than what I paid for Punto MJD emotion pack last week. I really dont see it as VFM specially after the A** does not have a proven record.
Old 8th March 2010, 18:48   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
BTW, 3pot engines are the latest rage internationally. Almost all manufacturers including Mini, Fiat, Peugeot are working on their three cylinder engines. The reasons are as follows

1. significantly lower emissions over a equivalent four cylinder
2. not much lose of power compared to a four cylinder

In developed markets, emissions is a huge consideration. In India things are still not so sophisticated.

Just being a three cylinder does not mean that the engine should be written off.
I was just commenting on the feedback that is constant through all the reviews.
Most of the reviewers say that a 3-pot is INHERENTLY noisier & harsher than a 4-Pot (Something to do with counterbalancing effects of the 4 if i remember my ICE correctly)
I do not know about European trends but the trend in India is towards powerful 4 pots... The likes of the K 12 M & the Kappa 1.2 both of which are buttery smooth & super efficient !
& with the kind of money that VW has put behind the Polo... I hope the "lets plonk the Fabia engine into the polo theory" does not end up being the fatal flaw in the Plan
Old 8th March 2010, 18:57   #363
Senior - BHPian

today me and my friends were talking about Polo which i saw today morning. Next thing before i was about to tell, he said "dude don't you think Polo from front resembles Palio stile" I was " you stole my words, i was about to say same thing. I will go and post same on team bhp"

Anyone else felt same? From front the Polo looking like new Palio!
Old 8th March 2010, 19:19   #364
Senior - BHPian

This, on a brand new display highline car unloaded of truck a day before..
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-dsc02407.jpg  

Old 8th March 2010, 19:22   #365
Senior - BHPian

The way the trucks are driven can you blame them ? They should have fixed the plastic cover back before putting it on display though
Old 8th March 2010, 20:18   #366
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Yup saw the same thing in a comfortline. The clip comes off if you sit on the seat and adjust the height. Looks to be a problem with highline and comfortline which have height adjust.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 8th March 2010 at 20:19.
Old 8th March 2010, 23:39   #367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Oops! Volkswagen would be hoping people wouldn't notice. I'm hoping that it doesn't have anything to do with the the assembly. There is a possibility that VW's assembly line might be facing a few teething problems.
Old 9th March 2010, 00:07   #368
BHPian

Just saw the Polo in Chennai

Guys,

I just had a visit and test drive of the petrol polo in chennai. These are some of the observations that i wanted to share.

What you will like
1. Understated yet sporty exterior styling
2. Great overall dual tone fit and finish and chrome inserts on the dash
3. Chunky steering
4. Short throw gearbox
5. Big boot and glove compartment
6. Handling, ride comfort and road manners
7. Boot knob
8. Alloys are well designed

What you will find mildly concerning
1. Overall pickup
2. lack of "thud" for a european car
3. Deep Bucket like rear seats, that are rather sunk in and sort of uncomfortable
4. Motors are 3 pot - which usually means that its kinda vocal
5. Info display on the instrument cluster looks cheap
6. Blind spots thanks to small rear window
7. Apparently door locks can be operated only by the driver. Makes it a good kidnap car

What you will not like
1. Rear leg room
2. Cheap looking maroon illumination of the stereo, ac knob& buttons, key ring and cigarrete lighter
3. Boxy dash, and grill like ac vents looks dated
4. Power windows in the rear only on the top end variant
5. No aux input in the stereo system

Other notes
1. Strangely the salesman wanted me to book the base version "Trendline" over the middle "Comfortline" and highest "Highline" model. His logic was that the higher models were not great value at all.
2. Diesel model not availble yet
3. Deliveries only expected in June

Comparisons to the Figo, which i just saw also:

1. Figo is overall a more spacious car. Boot is also comparable to polo
2. Interiors look alot younger, while the exteriors look rather aged
3. Some interior bits look cheap - like the gearbox trim, and pink dash. However, Pink dash is optional, you can get the same in black
4. Diesel engine is the same from Fiesta
5. Overall it is far far better value for money. Word is that the petrol is priced on par with the i10 while the diesel is on par with the Swift Diesel

Overall guys, if you were to ask me, i would definitely skip the polo for the Figo
Old 9th March 2010, 03:17   #369
abk
BHPian

And one booked too! :)

My friend who's recently (last month) been gifted a shiny brand new Honda Civic has made a booking for Polo diesel last Friday (new car for new wifey). The VW showroom (phase II, NOIDA) did not have any test drive vehicle nor any diesel version on display. :(

Although I tried influencing my friend to at least test drive a Figo & then compare it with Polo (that is, once he has test driven the Polo) he was too eager to book the Polo regardless of the test drives. Figo's lack of power windows at the rear and windows refusing to roll all the way down swung his heart in heavy favour of the Polo.

There was one model of Polo on display flashing an amazing set of alloys with thin tyres running around them giving it a highly sporty look but the showroom guys advised those were only for display. Accessories were not available on sale. A highlight is: most of the dash buttons and knobs have prolific ostentatious display of chrome.
Old 9th March 2010, 07:08   #370
BHPian

Polo prices updated

Just seen this at Overdrive (UPDATED: Polo Prices updated - VW changes Polo prices! - News : Overdrive):

Quote:
UPDATE: Volkswagen just sent us a release saying that the Polo prices have been altered. These are the new prices for all six models, all ex-showroom Delhi. Everything is now Rs 10,000 more expensive. More news updates coming to our Twitter feed (odmag (odmag) on Twitter) as it happens.

Model New Price
Polo 1.2L Petrol TL 442,000
Polo 1.2L Petrol CL 493,000
Polo 1.2L Petrol HL 582,500
Polo 1.2L Diesel TL 542,000
Polo 1.2L Diesel CL 592,500
Polo 1.2L Diesel HL 682,500
Old 9th March 2010, 08:29   #371
Senior - BHPian

As expected this may be post budget hike by VW! or is it because they want to recover cost of big AD on magazines

But what amazed me was the bookings that have happened for Polo without TD! Hope VW will live up to the mark by providing hassle free dealership and ownership. Else i see another Palio in making
Old 9th March 2010, 09:39   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Guys,

1. Overall pickup
3. Deep Bucket like rear seats, that are rather sunk in and sort of uncomfortable
4. Motors are 3 pot - which usually means that its kinda vocal
5. Info display on the instrument cluster looks cheap
6. Blind spots thanks to small rear window
7. Apparently door locks can be operated only by the driver. Makes it a good kidnap car

What you will not like
1. Rear leg room
2. Cheap looking maroon illumination of the stereo, ac knob& buttons, key ring and cigarrete lighter
3. Boxy dash, and grill like ac vents looks dated
4. Power windows in the rear only on the top end variant
5. No aux input in the stereo system

1. Figo is overall a more spacious car. Boot is also comparable to polo
2. Interiors look alot younger, while the exteriors look rather aged
3. Some interior bits look cheap - like the gearbox trim, and pink dash. However, Pink dash is optional, you can get the same in black
4. Diesel engine is the same from Fiesta
5. Overall it is far far better value for money. Word is that the petrol is priced on par with the i10 while the diesel is on par with the Swift Diesel

Overall guys, if you were to ask me, i would definitely skip the polo for the Figo

I feel VW has missed quite a lot of finer intricacies which would have otherwise made this model a runaway success. Some point to substantiate the above opinion..the thick C pillars, i find this highly concerning on Indian roads, this creates a less visible surrounding while reversing and this really will be problem on Indian roads where there are 2 wheelers and pedestrians squeaking inside even a little gap unlike Europe where it will be more alert approach. This was also the case with punto, very big blind spots, typical of european designs.
Next VW might have gone more intelligent with the driver lock control but guess in India passenger control would have been wise.
I had been a big VW fan but some of its very basic limitations making me think south.
Old 9th March 2010, 11:52   #373
R17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Guys,

What you will not like

A couple of pointers on which I'd like to respectfully, but firmly disagree.

My experience suggested that in terms of 'thud', which is I think is partly subjective, the Polo has the most solid thud among the hatchbacks. As I had mentioned in a previous post, in Mumbai, the VW and the Fiat showroom are about 500 m from each other and this gave me a good chance to thoroughly verify my claim.

I dont think the illumination in the Polo makes it look cheap. If anything, it looks really classy. Again, we may all have differing opinions and rightfully so.

Also, i have no doubt that the Figo will be a better VFM proposition, but thats often not the only objective. That said, it is definitely a very important objective in this segment. But if the Polo manages to maintain the unprecedented European quality in this space and backs it up with good A.S.S. and reasonable cost of ownership, I think they could be on the cusp of something significant.
Old 9th March 2010, 12:06   #374
BHPian

And so it begins all over once again - the same old Fabia story. This time, with the Polo.

Same european build quality, superior ride quality, rich interiors.
Same poor noisy engines.
Same poor A.S.S?? Only time will tell.

So, Polo going the Fabia way? Anyone willing to take a wager? ;-)
Old 9th March 2010, 12:26   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
Figo's lack of power windows at the rear and windows refusing to roll all the way down swung his heart in heavy favour of the Polo.
Is your friend aware that these issues are common on the Polo too?

The rear windows do not roll down fully, and only the Highline has powered rear windows.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks