Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2016, 14:07   #3811
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

I was travelling from my home town to chandigarh and after driving for 2 hrs the MFD was displaying fuel economy numbers but suddenly what happened was the MFD showed the engine temp/ oil temp as 90 degrees. It automatically went away and showed the fuel economy after 20 seconds. I thought might be my hand had touched the multifunction keys. But that was not the case and after around 10 minutes the incident was repeated. I went to the vw workshop and told them the issue they checked the coolant and said it is fine. Now this has happened for few times. I am bit confused but I think there seems to be a problem with the less engine oil.
Anyone faced a similar problem ?
Old 30th June 2016, 22:05   #3812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
Now this has happened for few times. I am bit confused but I think there seems to be a problem with the less engine oil.
I don't know why you'd suspect the engine oil level but open the hood and check the dipstick if you really think it might be low. Also, when it gets really low, you should see this icon

Your problem sounds like the switch on the RHS stalk or the multifunction switch on your steering wheel (if you have a HL version) is acting up.
Old 19th August 2016, 15:37   #3813
Senior - BHPian

Is so much water vapour condensation normal from a Polo 1.2 petrol ?

Coolant temperature was around the 60c mark. I have noticed this earlier too.
It was almost like someone pumped in some water through the tailpipe.
Old 20th August 2016, 19:39   #3814
BHPian

Hello guys,
Does the VW Polo GT TDi comes with a touch screen with navigation capabilities?
My doubt is because, in as VW's GT web page, it shows the availability of "Advanced touch screen system", while the brochure don't mention the same.
Anyone please clarify.

Last edited by redbaron91 : 20th August 2016 at 19:39. Reason: Correction
Old 20th August 2016, 21:46   #3815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron91 View Post
Hello guys,
Does the VW Polo GT TDi comes with a touch screen with navigation capabilities?
My doubt is because, in as VW's GT web page, it shows the availability of "Advanced touch screen system", while the brochure don't mention the same.
Anyone please clarify.
The touch screen HU comes with GT and highline versions of Polo is RCD 330G, which is a basic touch screen ICE without navigation. It has mirrorlink support which proves to be of no use to many of us as mirrorlink supports very few apps available in google play.

Last edited by highwaypatrol : 20th August 2016 at 21:47.
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 22:25   #3816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
The touch screen HU comes with GT and highline versions of Polo is RCD 330G, which is a basic touch screen ICE without navigation. It has mirrorlink support which proves to be of no use to many of us as mirrorlink supports very few apps available in google play.
Is it possible to retrofit HU with a aftermarket one with navigation?
Will it effect the warranty of a new vehicle?
I had a chat with sales person from VW, as per him this year there is no launch of updated polo planned.
This contradicts to the widely discussed news of upcoming updated Polo & Vento with 110PS power.
But any idea if the new updated Polo will have this navigation feature with HU?
Old 20th August 2016, 23:56   #3817
BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to retrofit HU with a aftermarket one with navigation?
Will it effect the warranty of a new vehicle?
I had a chat with sales person from VW, as per him this year there is no launch of updated polo planned.
This contradicts to the widely discussed news of upcoming updated Polo & Vento with 110PS power.
I would not believe what the sales people say, especially in this case. I have seen the tendency to make a customer buy what's currently available, perhaps to clear the stock for the launch of an updated/new model.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 23:56   #3818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is an updated Vento in the future for sure. There was never a Polo in the mix earlier as well though there were rumors about Polo as well. As per a senior sales person at VW Bangalore, the polo might get the features that are currently present in the Ameo which is rear AC vents, front arm rest for driver/passenger, reverse camera. There is no information to them about the new 110PS engine for the Polo though they are pretty sure that the Ameo Diesel will get the new diesel mill.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 20th August 2016 at 23:57.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 10:12   #3819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
There is an updated Vento in the future for sure. There was never a Polo in the mix earlier as well though there were rumors about Polo as well. As per a senior sales person at VW Bangalore, the polo might get the features that are currently present in the Ameo which is rear AC vents, front arm rest for driver/passenger, reverse camera. There is no information to them about the new 110PS engine for the Polo though they are pretty sure that the Ameo Diesel will get the new diesel mill.
Personally, I wish Polo had reverse camera, and navigation system by standard for GT/Highline trim. Rear AC vents gonna eat into the already cramp rear bench.
I'm in market to buy a new car by this year end, hoping to do the booking formalities in November.
Usually VW comes with some feature update every 6 months, and I don't want to miss out those latest feature addition by few weeks.
Old 21st August 2016, 10:18   #3820
BHPian

Are there any more issues to polo besides the ASS and 1.2L mill & cramped rear seat? Like say reliability of the car itself or it's electronics?

Really adore the car and have fallen for it badly . Love the driveability of 1.2 in city plus the rock solid stability on highways and the safety aspect of the car itself has won me over. Just wondering if I'm missing something. Suits my sedate driving style very well (Do note I'm not a 0-100 freak or someone who's ever interested in stats)

[Thanks to Mr. GTO for pointing me in the right direction. I should have posted it here in the first place ]
Old 21st August 2016, 12:08   #3821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Is so much water vapour condensation normal from a Polo 1.2 petrol ?

Coolant temperature was around the 60c mark. I have noticed this earlier too.
It was almost like someone pumped in some water through the tailpipe.
That amount of water in the exhaust looks strange but I'm not sure if it indicates that there is a problem. There is always some water coming out of your exhaust because water is a by product of the combustion process. A warmed up engine usually expels it as steam, which is why we don't see it.

The normal coolant temp once the engine has warmed up is 90 degrees C by the way. It usually takes five minutes at the most to get to this temperature.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 21st August 2016 at 12:24.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 15:47   #3822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Personally, I wish Polo had reverse camera, and navigation system by standard for GT/Highline trim. Rear AC vents gonna eat into the already cramp rear bench.:Frustrat
VW has always been mean with the equipment, internationally. I hate that row of switch blanks in the centre of the dashboard. Guess what: it was much the same in my UK Golf, c. 1990!

But recent updates do seem to be including more toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarit19 View Post
Are there any more issues to polo besides the ASS and 1.2L mill & cramped rear seat? Like say reliability of the car itself or it's electronics? ...
The ASS is going to depend on your city and your dealer. I'm fairly happy with the place I go for service. On the other hand, Chennai-flood VWs were being written off when Maruti was repairing stuff, and I suffered from that. My resolve to never by another VW lasted just three months.

Issues? Over the years there have been issues engine-mountings, some steering part, maybe other things. I think we got warranty service for all that. My two Polos have been completely reliable, as long as I didn't fill them with water!

Size and back-seat space? Be realistic about your requirements. My back seat is usually empty --- but the carried four (two elders in the back) from Bangalore to Chennai a month ago. Definitely, one would not want to make that five.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 21st August 2016 at 15:50.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 19:51   #3823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarit19 View Post
Are there any more issues to polo besides the ASS and 1.2L mill & cramped rear seat? Like say reliability of the car itself or it's electronics?

Really adore the car and have fallen for it badly . Love the driveability of 1.2 in city plus the rock solid stability on highways and the safety aspect of the car itself has won me over.
I was in a similar position - objectively, the competition is superior but the Polo has a certain something that makes it very desirable. I didn't get that special feeling with any of its rivals.

For the petrol, reliability is not a major concern for two reasons. First the car itself is mechanically simple - no turbo, no fancy injection system, manual gearbox, relatively few gizmos (especially if you're looking at Trendline/Comfortline). Two, the Polo is now quite old as a product and generally, products towards the end of their lifecycle are much more reliable.

The only remaining concern is your city's A.S.S. And the fact that maintenance/accident repair costs are higher than the competition so be aware of that.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 20:14   #3824
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I don't know why you'd suspect the engine oil level but open the hood and check the dipstick if you really think it might be low. Also, when it gets really low, you should see this icon

Unfortunately, it doesn't. The Polo's engine (applies for the Vento too) does not come with a oil temperature/level sensor.

@tharian: Nice exhaust tip!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st August 2016 at 20:16.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 20:40   #3825
BHPian

Hello Guys,

Writing this right after my TD request for GT-TDI from Whitefield VW (Apple Autos)

1) I asked for GT TDI test drive, for which they said, they don't give GT TDI for TD for any customers as it is very powerful.
He then said, they give only TDI & GT-TSI for TD. Also asked him, why the VW website offers customer the TD option in GT? He didn't had an answer for that!!!
Personally I was little pissed off because of this, and they way he refused the TD request.
Did anyone else faced a similar situation??
Any 1.5 GT TDI owners please throw some light on it's turbo lag, city performance.

2)Regarding the HU, the sales person mentioned it will work ONLY with few models of HTC , and won't work with models of Apple/Samsung/LG etc!! But why just HTC?? He was clueless!!! Moreover reverse camera and sensors are not available, and VW don't provide it as retrofit option.
If mirror link don't work with most mobiles, I don't think that adds any value to a customer.

3) No offers, no discounts for GT-TDI, OTR price quoted was Rs.11.31 lakhs. For TDI, there is a discount of 50K, which brings the OTR close to 10 lakhs for highline.

Attached the price list for VW cars. Note the TCS@1% for models above 10L Ex-SP
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_20160821_201031.jpg  

Last edited by redbaron91 : 21st August 2016 at 20:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks