Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2016, 21:19   #3826
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Size and back-seat space? Be realistic about your requirements. My back seat is usually empty --- but the carried four (two elders in the back) from Bangalore to Chennai a month ago.
I see so you would definitely recommend the extended warranty with it like I've read on many threads? ASS shouldn't be an issue as VW Delhi West is minutes from my home. We are a family of three but it would just be me in the car most of the time.

Thankfully we don't have any flooding etc in Delhi so I think I will survive haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I was in a similar position - objectively, the competition is superior but the Polo has a certain something that makes it very desirable. I didn't get that special feeling with any of its rivals.
It does. When I entered there was a dashboard hanging on the wall with steering and two airbags coming out of it and doors / other body parts cut in half to show how they had reinforcements inside marked red for further protection. I read it like this (nothing was written but that's what I took out of it). We might not have the most features in our car, but we value your life more than others who change build quality after coming to India.

It was that timeless design, Perfect fit and finish inside and Incredible build quality that got me. It was like the car was talking to me saying, buy me as your first car and you will feel good about driving me even after years pass by.

I will indeed be going for comfort line due to those gorgeous black interiors. Same position as yours wouldn't mind high line but I want those black interiors instead. Surprisingly there was a comfortline on show in dealership I guess that is the preferred choice amongst buyers?

It is indeed a bit expensive but saving 90k by buying say an elite i20 means I will have those for maintainence and not feel bad about it haha.
Swarit19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 22:59   #3827
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarit19 View Post
I see so you would definitely recommend the extended warranty with it like I've read on many threads?
I'd buy the extended warranty with any car.

That might make me a sucker, I don't know. Insurance cover of any kind should be evaluated properly, and I have not done that.

Quote:
We are a family of three but it would just be me in the car most of the time.
There's plenty of room for Mr and Mrs in the front, and if Number Three is a Junior, I think you are fine with the Polo. I give a lift to a long-legged octogenarian sometimes, and he has not complained about sitting behind my wife. There is not much room behind me, though

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 21st August 2016 at 23:04.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 23:54   #3828
BHPian

Quote:
There's plenty of room for Mr and Mrs in the front, and if Number Three is a Junior, I think you are fine with the Polo.
Well, I'm just about to turn 19 in a few days so the other two I was talking about would be my parents.

I'm new to "owning" cars so I will probably go with it (extended warranty) to avoid any problems till I've garnered ample amounts of experience in the field itself.

Thanks for the vote of confidence
Swarit19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 06:51   #3829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Unfortunately, it doesn't. The Polo's engine (applies for the Vento too) does not come with a oil temperature/level sensor.
Wow, that's odd! Is there at least a low oil pressure warning or can you end up in a situation with zero oil and be driving along with no indication of the same?

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 22nd August 2016 at 06:54.
Old 22nd August 2016, 15:26   #3830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron91 View Post
I asked for GT TDI test drive, for which they said, they don't give GT TDI for TD for any customers as it is very powerful.
What was the name of the SA? You can PM me if you want. I can try and see if a TD can be arranged for the GT TDI from VW Whitefield. Also any specific reason why you are looking at GT TDI since it is the same 1.5TDI in a different state of tune? Earlier the Polo was 1.2TDI and the GT was a 1.6TDI Vento engine which made it stand out. That is no more the case now hence the question about the preference for GT over the Highline TDI.
Old 22nd August 2016, 17:47   #3831
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarit19 View Post
Well, I'm just about to turn 19 in a few days so the other two I was talking about would be my parents.

If they both want to sit in the back it may not be so good, but one in front and on in the back will work fine, unless they both have really long legs!

If you don't already, then please impose strict seat-belt wearing rules on yourself and them. If they claim it is not necessary, tell them that you don't want your new-car windscreen smashed!

Happy Polo drivingf
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 19:49   #3832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
What was the name of the SA? You can PM me if you want. I can try and see if a TD can be arranged for the GT TDI from VW Whitefield. Also any specific reason why you are looking at GT TDI since it is the same 1.5TDI in a different state of tune? Earlier the Polo was 1.2TDI and the GT was a 1.6TDI Vento engine which made it stand out. That is no more the case now hence the question about the preference for GT over the Highline TDI.
Thanks Abhinav for the extended help.
Reason of TD was, I just want to see how much difference those extra 14 horses make, and I heard the suspension was tuned for more stiffer ride.

I placed a request through VW website as well as mailed them for a test drive. Soon I got a call from VW executive and Asst.Sales manager from the showroom. He neatly and patiently explained the reasons, and offered me a test drive if I notice them in advance. Pretty impressed by the way they addressed the issue.
Unfortunately I cannot take a test drive till Nov end, as I've to travel abroad next week.
So may be I will mail him the request once again, and take a TD in early Dec.
redbaron91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 20:32   #3833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron91 View Post
Thanks Abhinav for the extended help.
Reason of TD was, I just want to see how much difference those extra 14 horses make, and I heard the suspension was tuned for more stiffer ride.
The suspension setup is the same in the GT and the conventional Polos - no difference.
Old 24th August 2016, 23:21   #3834
Senior - BHPian

To all TSI GT owners and experts... I have searched the forum and many others all over the Internet. However I still can't get a confirmation if the DSG box on the TSI GT is now trouble free. There are endless discussions on this but none is recent. Could someone kindly provide some concrete inputs.

I am considering a TSI GT but the DSG issue is keeping me on the fence. I don't want to plonk a million rupees on something that won't last at least 10 years or 2 Lac Kilometers.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 23:27   #3835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
To all TSI GT owners and experts... I have searched the forum and many others all over the Internet. However I still can't get a confirmation if the DSG box on the TSI GT is now trouble free. There are endless discussions on this but none is recent. Could someone kindly provide some concrete inputs.

I am considering a TSI GT but the DSG issue is keeping me on the fence. I don't want to plonk a million rupees on something that won't last at least 10 years or 2 Lac Kilometers.
It still has an issue or two in heavy traffic - it slips clutch at low speeds in d2 which can cause wear. Personally I shift to M1 tiptronic mode when in heavy traffic. I know of a couple of cases where the gearbox had to be replaced. This car is okay for 4-5 years of ownership but I do not think it will last as long as you want without a gearbox niggle or two. I am speaking as an unbiased GT TSi owner.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 24th August 2016 at 23:29.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 23:35   #3836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
It still has an issue or two in heavy traffic - it slips clutch at low speeds in d2 which can cause wear. Personally I shift to M1 tiptronic mode when in heavy traffic. I know of a couple of cases where the gearbox had to be replaced. This car is okay for 4-5 years of ownership but I do not think it will last as long as you want without a gearbox niggle or two. I am speaking as an unbiased GT TSi owner.
Thanks for your reply. If I may ask, what model is your car. Did VW do the recall service for your gearbox or are you running stock. How many kilometers have you done and if there is an ownership report that you have here on the forum. Thanks once again.
Old 25th August 2016, 07:04   #3837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

There is no clear cut confirmation that all issues are solved and I doubt there will ever be. That's why you see a lot of discussion with no real conclusion. With regard to the polo and Vento Tsi, there have been niggles and quirks reported, but have not seen big or consistent failures reported. There are a few owners here who have crossed 50k km without issues. We will probably need to see more of that happening consistently to confidently say, yes the dsg in the Polo Vento Tsi is reliable.

In today's state I doubt anyone will tell you that you will be able to run for 10 years and/or 200k km without facing any dsg issues. You may be able to, and there is a good probability that you can. But you won't get any guarantee.

Note: Mine is a 2013 Vento Tsi and has run just over 30k km. Searching for black Vento Tsi in Google or in the forum will bring up my ownership report.

Edit: not sure if you have seen this thread (VW Polo / Vento DSG: Gearbox Jerking Issue! EDIT: now resolved!). summarizes most dsg niggles owners have faced.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 25th August 2016 at 07:08.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 07:19   #3838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's the thing: The Polo was launched internationally only in 2009. No current gen Polo is ten years old yet, let alone GT TSI variants. It is very hard to judge the current DSGs on longevity - simply because it is new technology.

With the extended warranty, you are okay for four years. Realistically, you should be prepared to change the car after five years although hopefully, you won't need to. If you are open to alternatives, consider the diesel because there's one less layer of complexity (gearbox) and that certainly improves your chances of a trouble free car in the long run.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 15:41   #3839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
... It is very hard to judge the current DSGs on longevity - simply because it is new technology.
I'm talking about very dim brain cells here, but didn't it start life as luxury thing on Audi cars. I seem to remember seeing Clarkson talking about on TV, and that would place me in my London home, over eleven years ago.

Dim brain cells could be way wrong.
Old 25th August 2016, 17:53   #3840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm talking about very dim brain cells here, but didn't it start life as luxury thing on Audi cars. I seem to remember seeing Clarkson talking about on TV, and that would place me in my London home, over eleven years ago.

Dim brain cells could be way wrong.
The DQ200 was introduced by VW in 2008, although you are quite right that the first dual clutch gearboxes came out a little earlier in 2003.

As far as I understand, the DQ200 is significantly different from the earlier gen DQ250 and the early DQ200s had tons of issues. VW claim that they have fixed them all now but still, it is hard to say if they'll do ten years or lakhs of kilometers without issues.

A nice review of the DSG variants can be found here: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/volkswagen-group-s-dsg-gearbox-explained-88928.html
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks