Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2017, 14:56   #3946
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
In my 1.5 TDI, I am noticing a slight tak-tak noise on turning the steering either side at crawling speeds.
Is this normal?
Does this happen only when the indicators are ON?

When I turn the steering on my Polo either ways with the turn indicator ON, I hear one (sometimes two) 'tak' sounds. I was very concerned about it in the beginning, so raised it up with the service center.

They told me it is the sound of ball-bearings in the indicator panel, and not related to steering at all. Also showed the same behavior in two other Polos parked there.

If that's the case, then nothing to worry. If not, show it to the SA on your next visit. Just see that you're able to reproduce it when you're there. I wasn't able to reproduce it when I went to show it to them the first time, because they tested within their premises and didn't use indicators. Later, I realized the sound comes only with the indicators on, and that solved the mystery.

Thanks!
AD
Old 15th February 2017, 22:53   #3947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishwaryadeep View Post
When I turn the steering on my Polo either ways with the turn indicator ON, I hear one (sometimes two) 'tak' sounds. I was very concerned about it in the beginning, so raised it up with the service center.

They told me it is the sound of ball-bearings in the indicator panel ...
You know the thing where your indicators turn off automatically after a turn? There's some sort of catch or ratchet that does that as the wheel turns back. Could it be this you are hearing?

Just a thought.
Old 16th February 2017, 11:00   #3948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You know the thing where your indicators turn off automatically after a turn? There's some sort of catch or ratchet that does that as the wheel turns back. Could it be this you are hearing?

Just a thought.

Quote:
Does this happen only when the indicators are ON?

AD
No, it's not when the turn indicators are on. Like when I am parking the car in the garage. Once it puts on some speed, it's flawless.

Have driven it to Mumbai in the last two days from Allahabad and no issues to report from the steering front either.

May be some greasing in the steering column will take care of it or may be I am observing too much and it's perfectly normal.

Will have it checked on my return as the first service would be due too.
torque18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 11:35   #3949
BHPian

Quote:
No, it's not when the turn indicators are on. Like when I am parking the car in the garage. Once it puts on some speed, it's flawless.
I observed something similar in my Aspire. I used to hear some noise and very slight vibration on the steering wheel at parking speeds at the very end of the steering turn (either sides). I reported the same to the SVC and they said it is common across Ford models and it is nothing but the EPS motor working. I then observed the same issue in another Ecosport as well.
But I did not observe that in my friend's Polo though. Maybe, I did not observe keenly.
Old 16th February 2017, 11:49   #3950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Just a thought.
I don't think it's that. The sounds doesn't come after I have taken the turn (which is when the indicators turn off automatically), but while I'm taking the turn.

So if I'm taking a right, the sounds comes when I'm rotating my steering clockwise, and not when the steering automatically turns anti-clockwise to make the wheels turn back.

I was worried about this as the sound is exactly like the one you hear while locking the steering. I thought there was something wrong with the steering lock mechanism and was sacred it might unintentionally lock my steering while I'm on the move (has happened to someone I know in their 1st gen i20).

I'm now fairly convinced the sound comes from the indicators, and not the steering column - so not concerned about it anymore.

Quote:

Will have it checked on my return as the first service would be due too
Keep us posted!
Old 16th February 2017, 14:57   #3951
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think it's that. The sounds doesn't come after I have taken the turn (which is when the indicators turn off automatically), but while I'm taking the turn.
Yes...

Indicator on, take turn: ratchet passes on indicator and clicks. Turns off indicator when turning back.

I hear nothing, but hey, ears: I can't even hear the indicator-on warning sound :(
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 15:05   #3952
BHPian

Quote:

May be some greasing in the steering column will take care of it or may be I am observing too much and it's perfectly normal.
I had the exact same issue in my Vento. I had it from Day 1. During my first 6 month inspection, they fixed it by greasing somewhere. The SA did mention where (ball bearing joint, or something), but what he said after that was what made me lost in thoughts - they'll open up the dashboard to reach the place. I got so lost in thoughts about the number of rattles they'll give me in a 6-month old car that I forgot to ask what did they grease.

Thankfully, I haven't heard any rattles and the grease took care of the sound. Very simple thing, nothing to fret about.
Old 8th March 2017, 13:10   #3953
BHPian

My friend owns a Polo 1.5 TDI highline and his car went in for 2nd annual service last week. His VIN was included in the list for diesel gate scam and service center advised him to perform the software update, assuring no change in performance and mileage. But now he's not happy and shot an email to VW as below. Has anyone else here faced these issues and any resolution? I drove his car and realized that the lower band peppiness is no longer there.
Quote:
I am facing below issues after software update done on 3rd Mar 2016 at XXXX Bangalore for my VW Polo TDI car with Reg. No XXXX.
1) Engine is making lots of noise like tractor in 1st & 2nd gears.
2) Engine sound is changed, feels car is gasping for air and feels restricted.
3) Throttle response has become jerky, have to re-learn how to use it during gear changes.
4) The gear shift indicator has become unrealistic in suggesting upshifts. It suggests to upshift at low speeds some times.
I spoke to service adviser and he replied noise should reduce by 1k mark and says that there is no change in power, but no solution on the change in engine tuning.
I bought the car by paying 1 lakh more than other competitors because I liked the engine tuning and boost when compared to other cars in the segment. I feel like each gear power is reduced by 0.5.
My sincere request it to resolve these issues or rollback the software update performed to my car.
Old 25th April 2017, 13:46   #3954
Distinguished - BHPian

Polo GT gets a limited edition . The company is offering the car in two color options, Flash red and Candy White.

New Volkswagen Polo GT TSi and TDi Sport launched in India at Rs 9.71 lakh and 9.81 lakh ex- Mumbai respectively.

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-volkswagenpologttsisport1.jpg
Quote:
The Polo GT Sport editions get cosmetic additions like the gloss black roof, black spoiler, 16-inch alloy wheels and leatherette finished GT Sport embossed seats.
Quote:
The company has not restricted the number of units but a source close to the company says that the limited edition Volkswagen Polo GT Sport will be on sale for about three months.
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-de0f6ec1a71b4335b11021d6352e04b6.jpe
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-1ab0374aaa7f480eb283426235d2b747.jpe
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-67eb5c5fda414685bc1257bd16442161.jpe
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-683a44143f2c4ec19d1e51ff8a2be20d.jpe
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-62d31849c52f41d9b25d187eef094252.jpe

Link1
It is highly likely that Volkswagen may also start selling this new Sport kit with the Vento as well as Ameo too.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th April 2017 at 14:03.
Old 25th April 2017, 21:31   #3955
Distinguished - BHPian

Have expressed my horror at go-faster stripes elsewhere. This is not VW style or class. Cheap work, VW.
Old 10th May 2017, 17:23   #3956
BANNED

Browsing through Youtube reviews, found this great one on a Polo 1.5TDI
Shared for my fellow BHPians
Old 19th June 2017, 13:29   #3957
BHPian

Issues cropping up during 4th service

My Polo is completing 4 years with about 50k on the odo, and I recently took her for annual servicing at the VW Thane workshop.

1. They had a look at the suspension (which has become noisier recently, with a lot of squeaks and creaks), and told me that some bushes will have to be replaced in the front. Expected damages including labour: 10k. I have a feeling they are stiffing me. What are my options, given that VW genuine parts are not sold OTC?

2. The gearbox, which for me is the single biggest source of driving pleasure on my German princess, is no longer as smooth as it used to be. Shifts are harder. A lot of mis-shifts from 2nd to 3rd, with the gearbox whining in protest when I take my foot off the clutch. The workshop guys claimed they fixed it, but it is the same. I am taking the car back this week for some warranty covered work that could not happen last week due to non-availability of parts, and intend to raise the issue again. Has anyone faced similar problems? Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th June 2017, 16:59   #3958
BHPian

Re: Issues cropping up during 4th service

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post

1. They had a look at the suspension (which has become noisier recently, with a lot of squeaks and creaks), and told me that some bushes will have to be replaced in the front. Expected damages including labour: 10k. I have a feeling they are stiffing me. What are my options, given that VW genuine parts are not sold OTC?
Hard to say without the actual job card, but if it is 10K for just some suspension bushes then

Suspension bushes are routinely replaced on Maruti vehicles for several hundred rupees.
Old 20th June 2017, 23:30   #3959
BHPian

Re: Issues cropping up during 4th service

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
My Polo is completing 4 years with about 50k on the odo, and I recently took her for annual servicing at the VW Thane workshop.

They could be referring to the control arm bushings, the stabilizer bar bushings, or all of them.

New control arms are available at VW for about Rs. 1750 a piece, and the stabilizer bushings are like Rs. 200 a unit. This all should not cost anywhere near 10K, even if you get new control arms instead of having the bushings replaced.

P.S. Have them replace the nuts and bolts for control arms and sway bar bushings (nuts welded onto brackets, replace brackets). They are one time use only. Moreover, the control arms are supposed to be torqued down by placing them, as they would be at the normal height of the car (car on the ground).

This is important for longer service life of the bushings (read: almost double), and also preserving the handling of the car, as it was from the factory. Unfortunately, this is rarely done properly.

Do let me know if you need any help in this regard.
Old 21st June 2017, 10:14   #3960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Hard to say without the actual job card, but if it is 10K for just some suspension bushes then

Suspension bushes are routinely replaced on Maruti vehicles for several hundred rupees.
It is well established that VW cars are more expensive to service than MS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
They could be referring to the control arm bushings, the stabilizer bar bushings, or all of them.

New control arms are available at VW for about Rs. 1750 a piece, and the stabilizer bushings are like Rs. 200 a unit. This all should not cost anywhere near 10K, even if you get new control arms instead of having the bushings replaced.

P.S. Have them replace the nuts and bolts for control arms and sway bar bushings (nuts welded onto brackets, replace brackets). They are one time use only. Moreover, the control arms are supposed to be torqued down by placing them, as they would be at the normal height of the car (car on the ground).

This is important for longer service life of the bushings (read: almost double), and also preserving the handling of the car, as it was from the factory. Unfortunately, this is rarely done properly.

Do let me know if you need any help in this regard.
Hi. Thank you for taking the time out to give a detailed reply to my query. I will ask him for a detailed estimate when I take the car in next. That should help me.

Most Viewed