Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2017, 21:35   #3961
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Check out the new rides of Kerala Police; Pink Patrol, Kottayam.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-legend8.jpg  

sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 12:10   #3962
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I have to upgrade my POLO GT TSI suspension with Bilstein B6, which is best garage in and around kukatpally, Madhapur in Hyderabad ? Please advice.

- Prabhu
Old 4th August 2017, 12:08   #3963
BHPian

Friends, Need a small Favor.

I had given my Polo (2015 Man) for service couple of weeks back. Only recently I noticed that, post the service I am not able to connect mobiles using blue-tooth connectivity. When I click on Phone Button to pair the phone, It says "KEY OFF". I did a complete reset of setup in hope that I can reconfigure. But getting the same issue even now. Any pointers
Old 4th August 2017, 13:04   #3964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Friends, Need a small Favor.

I had given my Polo (2015 Man) for service couple of weeks back. Only recently I noticed that, post the service I am not able to connect mobiles using blue-tooth connectivity. When I click on Phone Button to pair the phone, It says "KEY OFF". I did a complete reset of setup in hope that I can reconfigure. But getting the same issue even now. Any pointers
My suspicion is that it has something to do with the cabling. Possibly some connector is loose or there is an issue with the cable. You may want to have hit checked right away with the service center.
Old 17th August 2017, 11:29   #3965
BHPian

We have the 2014 polo highline, petrol. It's been a great daily driver and hasn't had any mechanical faults even after harsh road conditions in Agra.
Just yesterday I noticed the fuel filler release flap does not lock when the car is locked. I tired everything and wd40 but it remains unlocked. Has anyone noticed the same, do try it out on your vw cars.
Any help or treatme will be appreciated !
Old 7th September 2017, 19:40   #3966
BHPian

Few days back, had a visit to the VW dealership in my city (Udaipur), which was the time when we also witnessed the Polo Highline Plus (relavant thread of the experience). We were taking a look at variants when we had another new discovery. VW has again played with the variant features, which are neither updated on website nor any of the brochures with VW dealership are carrying it.
The base variant, the Trendline now gets:
  • ABS+EBD
  • Dual barrel headlamps (like the highline; new addition)
  • LED blinkers on ORVM,
  • Day-Night manual IRVM
  • Steering Rake and reach adjustment,
  • Rear fog lamp

We sat in a display Trendline car to confirm for ourselves (couldn't drive it as it was a display car). Few of the features discussed above may be present on website/brochures by now, but the update wasn't there some three-four weeks back on their media. IMO, even the Trendline has become VFM, with the only thing lacking for a hatchback if the segment is reverse parking kit, fog lamps and music system, which can be an aftermarket installation.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 21:26   #3967
BHPian

Hello All,

I have a query related to my Polo TDI Highline, now 3 years and 25000 kms old.

I switched off the ignition after traveling back home this evening and wanted to leave the car parked in gear (with handbrake on). When I press the clutch there was a tic tic tic sound and it was also heard when the clutch was released.

I tried pressing and depressing the clutch a couple of more times and could again hear the sound.

This is the same sound that is heard when the fuel cap is locked, right at the very end. I was a bit alarmed and wanted to check if someone knows something about this.

Please advise,

Regards
Bharath
bharath79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 21:33   #3968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath79 View Post
Hello All,

I have a query related to my Polo TDI Highline, now 3 years and 25000 kms old.

I switched off the ignition after traveling back home this evening and wanted to leave the car parked in gear (with handbrake on). When I press the clutch there was a tic tic tic sound and it was also heard when the clutch was released.

I tried pressing and depressing the clutch a couple of more times and could again hear the sound.

This is the same sound that is heard when the fuel cap is locked, right at the very end. I was a bit alarmed and wanted to check if someone knows something about this.

Please advise,

Regards
Bharath
I hear the same sound in my year old Polo TDI and also on my 5 year old Rapid.

Got the slave cylinder checked on the Rapid but it was found to be in order. It was then suggested that it could be the pressure plate. However, since the clutch is otherwise working perfectly fine therefore I didn't want them to guess further.

The sound remains.
torque18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 11:23   #3969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
I hear the same sound in my year old Polo TDI and also on my 5 year old Rapid.

Got the slave cylinder checked on the Rapid but it was found to be in order. It was then suggested that it could be the pressure plate. However, since the clutch is otherwise working perfectly fine therefore I didn't want them to guess further.

The sound remains.
An Update: I have noticed that the sound is not heard while starting the car for the first time in the morning. It is heard only after some amount of driving.

Regards
Bharath
Old 28th September 2017, 13:05   #3970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath79 View Post
An Update: I have noticed that the sound is not heard while starting the car for the first time in the morning. It is heard only after some amount of driving.

Regards
Bharath
Exactly same behaviour noticed in both my cars. It is only after some amount of driving that it starts.
Old 23rd October 2017, 14:35   #3971
BHPian

Hi Guys,
The new polo cars do not have any fabric covering for arm rests in the door panel trims. This is very irritating during long runs. Is it possible to replace/add covers to it? Any known part numbers?

Thanks..
Old 23rd October 2017, 22:46   #3972
Distinguished - BHPian

The old ones have just enough fabric to trap the dust. There is nothing soft there at all.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 11:44   #3973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The old ones have just enough fabric to trap the dust. There is nothing soft there at all.
Thanks. I was seeing the brochure from Polo NZ, and the interior seems so much more upmarket than ours.

Even my 14 year old Ikon had soft touch fabrics/art leather on the door. Is there any way to fix it with aftermarket options?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-polo.png  

Old 24th October 2017, 15:13   #3974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Thanks. I was seeing the brochure from Polo NZ, and the interior seems so much more upmarket than ours.
Looks pretty similar to my '14 Polo door. Pity I can't reach into the photo to compare the touch!

Fabric gives a nice look. Somehow, I never rest my arm there anyway, but I do know that it is not padded.
Old 28th October 2017, 12:12   #3975
Senior - BHPian

Hello friends!

I am not a very good writer so will try my level best to make this post as short and sweet as possible.

The decision to purchase a new car and upgrade from our December 2005 Swift Vxi started somehwere in September 2011. As usual the hunt then began and since we wanted an 'upgrade' from our current vehicle, we planned on a sedan. With our limited budge of 7 lakhs on road, the options were'nt much at all especially for a diesel. So we decided to settle for a petrol itself. We looked at the Ford Fiesta Classic but did'nt find it worth the price for the features offered. Considered the Swift Dzire but then the new model was due soon too and we were not sure what to expect. Besides, we didn't really feel that the Dzire would really be an 'upgrade' to what we had. So the plan was back to a hatchback but it would have to be the top of the line variant. By this time it was already mid November 2011.

Since I am the only one who drives in the family, my requirements were made priority. So obviously after driving the Swift for 06 years, it had to be something similar or better especially in the power and handling department. The options were plenty budget wise but which one of them would pass the test drive wise? So we began looking at the options and started our test drives. The only day available for this was a Sunday since I work the entire week so this entire process took time but boy was it worth it in the end!! The options were:

Honda Jazz - We loved the way the Jazz looked. We loved the interior space which is unmatched in its class. The base model was also fully loaded and with the price cut we felt that this was what we should just purchase with our eyes closed. But what really kept our eyes wide open was the waiting period and then the closing of bookings all together. The hope died off even before it came alive. Totally ruled out! The next was the 2011 Swift.

2011 Swift Zxi - The car was obviously brilliant in the power and handling department and definitely better than what I was driving and I immediately felt at home. There was a huge improvement in the interior quality too. This is the car I wanted and there were not two ways about it. But for some reason we were not convinced with the rear of the car. My parents just didn't seem to be comfortable in the back seats. The rear seating was smaller and the boot was even smaller than before. What would happen to my amps and sub?!! We also found the metal of the body to be sort of thinner than before which was a concern as we did have issues of rusting in our car within 03 years of ownership itself as we live opposite the sea. Eventhough we still kept the Swift as our first choice as it was the devil we already knew, it is Maruti and was within our budget at 6.24 lakhs on road, we decided to give the others a chance too. So next was the Toyota Etios Liva.

Toyota Etios Liva - Very frankly, I have nothing nice to say about the Liva except that it was priced pretty well for a Toyota. But unfortunately the lack of quality in the exteriors and interios were pretty evident and which did not speak well for that car and brand. The test drive made me conclude that this was the worst hatchback that I have ever driven till date with such a lethargic response from the steering wheel!! The engine was terribly underpowered and the test drive totally spoilt my mood and expectations. This was ruled out on the spot. Next was the Hyundai i20.

Hyundai i20 - We heard so much about this car and see a good number of them on the road too so we had alot of expectations here.This was way more spacious than the Swift and had excellent interiors. We loved all the gadgets available like electric folding mirrors and stuff which was suberb for a price of 6.85 lakhs on road. But then we found the car to be a bit low making entry and exit to be a little cumbersome. Took a test drive and was totally disappointed with the under powered engine. We ruled it out totally! Next was the Volkswagen Polo 1.6

Volkswagen Polo 1.6 - I specifically chose to drive only the 1.6 as I was already sure that I would not enjoy driving the 1.2 due to the underpowered 3-cylinder engine. Didn't find it worth the price either. Besides, I mistook my neighbour's Polo 1.2 Petrol for a diesel due to its noisy engine.

We were floored by the looks of the Polo the minute we entered the showroom. The finish of the car was immculate! Opened the door and we immediately felt high quality oozing out of the car. The 'thud' of the closing door gave us the 'built like a tank' feel. The plastic of the interiors were again sturdy and of high quality as compared to any of the cars we test drove so far. We immediately asked for a test drive. The test drive was in a different league all together. The power of that car is just fantastic . However, I did find a slight delay in response when you suddenly floor the pedal unlike in the Swift. We found the car to be slightly larger on the interior with pretty decent boot space too. This is the car we want but it is 7.35 lakhs on road with minimal features as compared to the rest. There was a 50k discount on the 2011 models which was a blessing but did we want a 2011 model when we were approaching 2012?

Our thoughts started to take us back to the Swift but wait we already own one so where is the upgrade in that? Then we got to know of the Skoda Fabia 1.6!

Skoda Fabia 1.6 - This car was similar in many ways to the Polo but what it really scored on was the interior space and beige interior colour and the massive discount. The 80k discount being offered on the 2011 model was irresistable which we loved and brought the car well within our budget and we were pretty convinced that this is what we have to consider. But what really dampened the spirit was the lack of rear defogger and wiper. What made matters worse were the horror stories of after sales. But we still kept this as an option but at the same time were not very confident either.

It was now January 2012 and we decided to take a break and reflect on the cars we have seen till now and discuss their pros and cons. The shortlisted cars were the Polo 1.6, 2011 Swift Zxi and Skoda Fabia 1.6. The Skoda seemed to be loosing out specifically due to the negative publicity it had been getting due to its poor after sales. So the decision was now between the Polo 1.6 and 2011 Swift! It took the entire month of January 2012 to do our research and make a decision wisely. The main reason the Polo was getting more brownie points were because mentally we did not want to go for a Swift or a Maruti again especially because of the rusting issue that we faced. It was a matter of the heart ruling over the mind.

Now on 01st February 2012, Maruti launched their new Swift Dzire. So on 05th February 2012 we decided to go check it out. Took a test drive and I found the car to be good overall except that it didn't feel like a driver's car. The handling was just not as good as the Swift. Rear suspension was softer too. We left the showroom and decided to go visit the VW dealer again just for a last review on the Polo 1.6 and we were not left unsatified at all. We asked for final details and current offers and were pretty convinced that this was the car we wanted. The only problem now was the colour. We wanted Deep Black and the dealer (VW Tornado at Santacruz) claimed that he had the last 1.6 in Pepper Grey. We decided to go home and think about it. After a short nap I decided to call up another dealer (VW Downtown at Prabhadevi) and on speaking to the concerned we got to know that there is a Deep Black 1.6 available. I do not know what overcame us but we immediately left and drove down to Prabhadevi and booked the car! We asked them for delivery by the end of the month as we would be out of Mumbai for a couple of weeks. We returned home totally content and satisfied!

I believe that the Polo 1.6 won our votes specifically because we were getting an 'upgrade' in terms of brand, engine, quality, certain basic features (Airbags, ABS, Electrically Operated Mirrors & Rear Window Wiper with Defogger) which were not on my Swift and most importantly the 06 year anti corrosion warranty; all for a price of 21k more than the 2011 Swift Zxi after the super discounts.

On our return from our outstation trip, we decided to do the PDI before any of the Mumbai taxes and octrois were paid. We were told that in this case the car will have to be inspected at their stockyard in Panvel. We decided to do the PDI there on 18th February 2012. Took us a good couple of hours to reach there due to traffic and trying to find the way. The car was kept ready for inspection and we were totally satisfied with the outcome.

Finally got delivery of the car on 26th February 2012 so here she is - I present to you Zelma! Chose this name as it means 'Helmet of God' in German as it represents power just like the 1.6 liter engine that produces 105 horses of sheer driving pleasure!! :-)

Also got the upholstery done from G-Sport today.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-front.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-diagonal.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-rear.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-rear-diagonal.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-side.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-upholstery-front.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Aditya : 28th October 2017 at 12:16.
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks