Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2018, 19:35   #4051
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Guys, the MID figures in my car ( VW Polo 1.2 Petrol ) are so misleading these days. Even after driving only 5 kms in the city traffic b2b , the "approximate distance that can be covered in the given amount of fuel" drops by 20-25 kms. Say, it has started at 200 kms, after I drive 5 kms, it now says 175 kms !! I am sure something is wrong in the MID. Did anyone else ever experience the same ? How did you get this annoying issue solved ?
I don't think anything is wrong with the MID. It projects the range based on fuel efficiency average achieved in the last few KMs. For example if you have 10 lts in the tank and you are averaging 15 kmpl over the last 5 KMs then it projects the range as 150 KMs. Suppose now you start driving in b2b traffic and are averaging 7.5 kmpl over the next 2.5 KMs. Your average over last 5 KMs now changes to 11.25 kmpl. Your range will start dropping from 150 KMs to 112.5 KMs very quickly in a short span. Basically range is a function of how efficiently you have driving over the last few KMs.

Note : The above calculation is just illustrative of the logic of the system and not the specific method of calculation it uses.
Santoshbhat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 20:48   #4052
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

For our sake, I guess it should be pessimistic --- and VW would have plenty of complaints if people ran out of fuel with the meter still showing above zero! However, when I see how much fuel I fill at "0km remaining" I know I could have run for quite a while.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 10:25   #4053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I don't think anything is wrong with the MID.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
For our sake, I guess it should be pessimistic ---
Thank you both for a prompt response but I am very sorry for a late reply. Yes, I don't pay much attention to the range now, rather keep an eye on the fuel sticks on the MID.

Update :-
Mumbai folks, those living in Mulund, Thane and Bhandup areas, here is a good news. Volkswagen has opened its new dealership and service centre at Thane. If you remember, the popular VW Global Galleria at Thane got shut down around 7-8 months ago. The new one is owned by some Mody Corp. whose showroom is located at Ghodbunder road while the workshop is at Wagle industrial estate, Thane. It started only since November 1st, 2018. The workshop facility is really huge with some 25 service bays. I had given my Polo for its 30000 km second servicing and would overall rate 4/5 for the job done.

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_20181127_180754__01.jpg

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_20181127_180855__01.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th January 2019 at 18:30. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 16:19   #4054
BHPian

Hi all,

I've got a 2010 TDI Highline. It has been marvellous in all my 8 years of ownership. It has clocked 105000 kms to date, and still serves flawlessly day in day out. Past few months my career took a radically different route, and I went from driving 8-12kms a day to travelling 400-500kms every other day. As a result I drove 15k(ish) kms in the past two months itself. These trips often see me going to remote village roads where often there is no tarmac at all and bullock carts or tractors are major means of transportation(apart from two wheelers). However, in all these trips, never have I encountered a road where the little polo could not go. Apart from a few scrapes on the cars bottom a few times, the car has been taking the entire ordeal in its stride. I absolutely love the car, it is my first car, it has seen my first relationship, my first break-up, my first job, my first paycheck, it has seen almost all my closest friends(and vice-versa), it has seen me laugh, cry, and so much more. I just cannot part with it, and the car isn't really giving me any reasons to do so.

I am worried though, I might run out of luck one day and I might get stuck, or hit a really bad rut and end up damaging the car. Apart from the low GC, there is absolutely nothing stopping the car. For this I've often thought of raising the car by a few millimetres. The stock clearance is rated at 165mm, I dont know if its laden or unladen (and even if it is laden then how much was put on to it?). So, I suspect the actual GC must be in the 140-150mm range.

In my experience a usable GC of 180mm is enough to conquer any road, and adding 40mm to the stock GC wont be TOO much of a difference probably. For this purpose coil spacers can be used as from what I've read online, however, I've only seen polos being lowered, or "slammed", never raised. Therefore the concept and my reasons are pretty perplexing to the local mechs, and honestly I am a bit ashamed of taking my polo to the local 4x4 guys now, since they all just tell me to get an SUV

I know I'm not going mud-plunging, I just need my car a bit higher. I dont wish to upsize the tires, or add an off road bumper, or a snorkel, or a light bar. Even in the stock trim, the car is supremely capable. It needs skid/bash plates as well, I've already nudged its innards several times.

What do you guys think? Ive posted this once before as well, but it never really gained traction. How do I lift my polo up?

Last edited by GTO : 26th January 2019 at 10:03. Reason: Guess you meant 1 lakh km, not 10 lakh :)
ashwin1224 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 10:38   #4055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Hi all,

I've got a 2010 TDI Highline. It has been marvellous in all my 8 years of ownership. It has clocked 1005000 kms to date, and still serves flawlessly day in day out. Past few months my career took a radically different route, and I went from driving 8-12kms a day to travelling 400-500kms every other day. As a result I drove 15k(ish) kms in the past two months itself. These trips often see me going to remote village roads where often there is no tarmac at all and bullock carts or tractors are major means of transportation(apart from two wheelers). However, in all these trips, never have I encountered a road where the little polo could not go. Apart from a few scrapes on the cars bottom a few times, the car has been taking the entire ordeal in its stride. I absolutely love the car, it is my first car, it has seen my first relationship, my first break-up, my first job, my first paycheck, it has seen almost all my closest friends(and vice-versa), it has seen me laugh, cry, and so much more. I just cannot part with it, and the car isn't really giving me any reasons to do so.
Good to hear such a positive comment from an owner who is so attached to his car.
I am not sure about increasing the GC on a Polo but the same was done on Punto years back. In 2012, Fiat increased the GC of Punto by adding some bush (I do not remember the exact term) to the shocks. Though I own a 2011 Punto (with lesser GC), I have read in multiple online forums that the increased GC helped to some extent in avoiding the underbody getting scraped but at the cost of slightly more body roll. Even Fiat mentioned that the same bushes can be fitted even to the pre-2012 models at a service center. Since my car is limited to city and highway usage I did not mind the lesser GC.

You can also see if there is some options like that for Polo too.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 7th January 2019 at 11:15. Reason: Trimming quoted post
samcan123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 20:05   #4056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Post first service, the AC cuts off recirculation mode randomly for 2-3 seconds and then turns it off (you can hear the transition and resulting pollution smell). The car is a 2016 Trendline variant with manual AC. The recirculation button light does not go off.

When this switch does not happen, no pollution comes in.

Found two related links on the Internet.
  1. https://www.carwale.com/forums/30259...-new-polo.html
  2. https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...VW-Polo-aircon

What could be the issue? Thanks..
Were you able to root cause and fix this issue, Sproket?

I have a 2011 Polo Highline, I have not seen this issue for the last 7-8 yrs until recently, after getting my AC servicing done from outside, I started hitting this problem. The re-circulation button light continues to glow but I suddenly smell truck exhaust or garbage burning smell from outside. I do not hear the flap opening or closing, I never hear that actually.

My first thought was that the flap that closes when recirculation is active either broke partially during AC service or not able to close fully now after the service. On a complete servicing visit to the authorized dealer, I had asked the SA to check out the flap, and they say they did and nothing out of order was found. They blame the issue on the AC drawing in fresh air. I know that feature and I keep it disabled - On the manual AC in Polo, if you keep the temperature knob at the minimum then this AC feature will kick in where AC will turn on automatically if you turn on the fan from 0 to 1. I keep the temperature knob at one notch above the minimum, and the AC turning on does not happen on its own. My hunch is that the same (hidden) feature in Polo causes it to draw outside air and the same trick disables this as well.
The smell coming from outside issue is also something that appeared immediately in 1-2 days after the AC servicing was done from a road side shop. I never had this problem in the 7 years before.

I'm contemplating visiting a different authorized dealer to get it checked as well as trying a DIY to open it and see for myself, I don't know yet how complicated it is, I am not a regular DIYer when it comes to cars.
The problem is particularly bad when I drive through rush hour traffic. If traffic is light, then this new problem is bearable.
Old 24th January 2019, 21:18   #4057
BHPian

No root cause found. Post reading on google, I found out the same info you have (minimum issue). These days I just keep it parked a bit higher.

My second service is due next month. Will see what comes out. Good luck with this though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nec2152 View Post
Were you able to root cause and fix this issue, Sproket?

I have a 2011 Polo Highline, I have not seen this issue for the last 7-8 yrs until recently, after getting my AC servicing done from outside, I started hitting this problem. The re-circulation button light continues to glow but I suddenly smell truck exhaust or garbage burning smell from outside. I do not hear the flap opening or closing, I never hear that actually...

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th January 2019 at 03:21. Reason: Editing quoted post
Old 25th January 2019, 02:17   #4058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am worried though, I might run out of luck one day and I might get stuck, or hit a really bad rut and end up damaging the car. Apart from the low GC, there is absolutely nothing stopping the car. For this I've often thought of raising the car by a few millimetres.
Few options I will suggest is to use 195 60 R15 section tyres. Will increase sidewall by 6 mm (195*0.6 - 185*0.6).

Will give more cushion and comfortable ride while enhancing GC. Will affect driving dynamics negligibly.

Quote:
The stock clearance is rated at 165mm, I dont know if its laden or unladen
Unladen.

Quote:
For this purpose coil spacers can be used as from what I've read online
That's another option. Roger brand makes one. Can give it a try.

Quote:
It needs skid/bash plates as well, I've already nudged its innards several times.
Install a under body sump guard. Available at VW Workshop. Made of plastic.

Since your car is a hatchback the approach, departure and break over angle would be comparatively higher to a sedan. Drive along and purchase an insurance with engine cover.
Old 11th March 2019, 23:51   #4059
BHPian

I had CEL show up in my 2016 Polo TDI Today evening. On restarting the car, the light went out and hasn't reappeared.

I scanned it with the VAG-COM cable but it didn't throw up any error. If I am not wrong, even if there was some intermittent issue which got corrected on its own, even in that case the error code should have been recorded.

What am I missing here?
Old 12th March 2019, 22:51   #4060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
I had CEL show up in my 2016 Polo TDI Today evening. On restarting the car, the light went out and hasn't reappeared.

What am I missing here?
It could be a battery issue, for example old dying battery or undercharged battery may cause low voltage supply to car's processing unit leading to malfunction indication.

If battery is new or not at fault; then, there could be some loose electrical connections leading to check engine light malfunction.
Old 26th March 2019, 16:37   #4061

P0068 error code on a 2015 VW Polo

I have a P0068 error code on in my 2015 Polo, 6r - Petrol.

I tried cleaning the MAP sensor from a garage, but it seems that didnt work. Maybe they didnt clean it properly? Not sure.

Would the members have any suggestions or DIYs to fix this?

I am in Pune and if any one knows of trusted mechanics, please do let me know. I wouldnt mind driving down to any corner to get this fixed.

Also, if there is a Polo Owners Group on Whatsapp or Telegram, do let me know. I am not on FB so cant join those.

Thank you.
thetuxracer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 09:48   #4062
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Quick query. I am considering the Polo as a used car.

My mandatory requirements are atleast 2 airbags.

I am aware that Polo has remained the same car since 2010 but evolved with respect to the features.

Can anyone tell me, from which month-year did the polo make airbags and ABS standard across all variants? Currently I am looking at Highline models only, whose supply is very short (most common variant is the comfortline I guess)
Old 27th May 2019, 12:06   #4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Hi Guys,

Quick query. I am considering the Polo as a used car.

My mandatory requirements are atleast 2 airbags.

I am aware that Polo has remained the same car since 2010 but evolved with respect to the features.

Can anyone tell me, from which month-year did the polo make airbags and ABS standard across all variants? Currently I am looking at Highline models only, whose supply is very short (most common variant is the comfortline I guess)
The G-NCAP and a media article mention that Airbags and ABS were offered as standard 2014 onwards. So I guess you should look at 2014-15 models and newer.

Your anecdotal observation is true to some extent, Trendline and Comfortline were the most VFM variants for a lot of people, hence many available in re-sale. Outside of Pune, a lot of variants I see are TL and CL.
Old 27th May 2019, 12:57   #4064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetuxracer View Post
The G-NCAP and a media article mention that Airbags and ABS were offered as standard 2014 onwards. So I guess you should look at 2014-15 models and newer.

Your anecdotal observation is true to some extent, Trendline and Comfortline were the most VFM variants for a lot of people, hence many available in re-sale. Outside of Pune, a lot of variants I see are TL and CL.

Just a small correction: my 2013 Polo Petrol Highline, purchased in Feb 2013 had airbags ( no ABS however ).
vkr15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 13:02   #4065

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkr15 View Post
Just a small correction: my 2013 Polo Petrol Highline, purchased in Feb 2013 had airbags ( no ABS however ).
Was it standard, or did you have to request it as an add-on? Also, I think in the earlier Polo models, safety features were only available on the top-end variants. Lower variants didn't have safety features. 2014 on-wards is when even the basic variant has airbags as standard.

Thank you for taking the time to add the info!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks