Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2020, 16:49   #4096
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Polo 1.0 TSI 6 Speed Manual review up. 0-100 in around 9.8 seconds
But unlike the new Skoda Rapid, few essential features are deleted on the latest version - no rear parking camera, no ESP and no LED lighting.
Rohit_Quad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 23:50   #4097
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I have been dailying a 2013 Polo HL 1.2 MPI (40K on the ODO) for the last three weeks. I must confess, that all the bad press it has got for having a dull engine is not quite justified.

The 3-cyl 1.2 MPI engine from VW, compared to Hyundai's Kappa 1.2 L VTVT; is much more responsive and drive-able. The gears are taller, yet the response from the engine in any gear is better. The car is more comfortable (seats and suspension) and stable (steering heft) and the cabin feels roomier. Features like one-touch up/down (on all 4 windows), a discreet tailgate opener in the emblem, the mature and timeless lines of the design and the tilt+telescopic steering all got lost when Hyundai came to town with the AVN gimmickry and the funky exterior styling.

I have no doubt why the car survives unaltered, even after a decade in the market.

I can live with the 3-cylinder's unrefined growl as long as the movement in the accelerator and the speedometer are in sync.
Tgo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 00:48   #4098
BHPian

Can't agree more with the above post. My Polo turned 5 recently, and I have never ever felt that its underpowered or boring. Fun to drive in city and decent performance for highways. My only grouse with it is the below average fuel efficiency. Otherwise, the 1.2 MPI is very underrated, IMO.

Last edited by RD150 : 6th June 2020 at 00:49.
RD150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 11:58   #4099
Senior - BHPian

Drag Race
Audi S5
Volkswagen Polo GTI (380hp tuned by ETuners Bangalore) running on racing slick tyres

Old 26th July 2020, 19:42   #4100
BHPian

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-rcd-340.jpeg

Finally after a lot of delaying as part of the restoration of my beloved 2012 Polo I managed to get my hands on this brand new RCD 340 for my 2012 1.2MPI Comfortline VW Polo. Anyone who bought a Polo around that time only got a CD player and Radio in the center (not even USB or Bluetooth) which looked so dated in an overall time-less design of the Polo.

I'm sure there are options in the market from good brands like Pioneer etc but I just can't handle that after market look they give.

Mind it that it's not the RCD 340G but the previous version which only came with CarPlay and Mirror Link but no Android Auto rest everything is same. I didn't opt for a speaker upgrade because I'm quite happy with the stock ones

Along with that I also got a reversing camera as well just for the heck of it even though I didn't need it, the fact that RCD 340 can be used as display as soon as you put in reverse got me excited :P

Having booked a T-Roc 2 days, I was in no mood to give this baby up she still rides like a charm and though 1.0 TSI is nice to have, I had no issues with 1.2 MPI's performance also naturally aspirated engine being much more reliable as compared to TSI is added bonus. And after the whole restoration with added RCD 340 I'm not giving up on this one any time soon.

NOTE :- My Comfortline didn't get steering mounted controls so that was the only functionality I couldn't use after this upgrade rest everything is fine.

Last edited by namanchaudhary : 26th July 2020 at 19:45.
namanchaudhary is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 10:28   #4101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
Attachment 2034902

Finally after a lot of delaying as part of the restoration of my beloved 2012 Polo I managed to get my hands on this brand new RCD 340 for my 2012 1.2MPI Comfortline VW Polo. Anyone who bought a Polo around that time only got a CD player and Radio in the center (not even USB or Bluetooth) which looked so dated in an overall time-less design of the Polo.
I have a 2014 polo highline and even i am thinking of getting the RCD 340G with a camera. My car has the bluetooth system but a touch screen interface enhances the overall look and feel of the car.
Old 27th July 2020, 12:17   #4102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
I have a 2014 polo highline and even i am thinking of getting the RCD 340G with a camera. My car has the bluetooth system but a touch screen interface enhances the overall look and feel of the car.
I think you can take advantage of the RCD 340G better because it's a highline with steering mounted controls. If budget is not an issue you can get an original flip camera as well, the rear VW logo flips as soon as you put it in reverse and RCD 340G supports it as well since it's an original VW fitment which I saw in the T-roc as well.

Off Topic : Has anyone changed the OEM headlights to LEDs? I changed the bulbs to Philips but it wasn't a major improvement. I don't want some random HIDs to blind the oncoming traffic. Any recommendations?
Old 27th July 2020, 15:17   #4103
BHPian

Quote:
I think you can take advantage of the RCD 340G better because it's a highline with steering mounted controls.

Off Topic : Has anyone changed the OEM headlights to LEDs?
The flip camera looks super cool, i'll check out how much it costs, will be a worthy upgrade.

Even i am looking for a good sets of lights, the stock lights are of no use on a highway, my priority is good headlights over touch screen interface. Plug and play led bulbs have good reviews, but i wanna see them first before investing
Old 27th July 2020, 18:09   #4104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Off Topic : Has anyone changed the OEM headlights to LEDs? ...
Quote:
Even i am looking for a good sets of lights...
And I am looking for a new pair of lights because one has blown.

Previous owner had upgraded to 90/100 with a relay. Easy option to stick to the same. Any other suggestions?
Old 27th July 2020, 19:29   #4105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And I am looking for a new pair of lights because one has blown.

Previous owner had upgraded to 90/100 with a relay. Easy option to stick to the same. Any other suggestions?
I'm researching on it extensively. Seems like those plug n play LEDs from companies like Night eye, Philips or Autobahn are the easiest and cheapest. But the reviews are mixed, a lot of them are positive but the negatives are there too.
2012 Models don't even have separate high and low beams. So i guess before I think of doing anything major I'd try a simple high-low beam combined 5500k LEDs from a reputed brand like the Ultinon Essential from Philips since I don't like it "too white"

Quote:
The flip camera looks super cool, i'll check out how much it costs, will be a worthy upgrade.
The guy who installed my RCD 340 offered me that flip camera for Rs 9,000 extra over the RCD 340 I got for Rs 18,000 here in Delhi. So depending on where you live expect around Rs 25k to 30k for both RCD 340 and Flip Camera. Just know that even though it's less gimmicky, I'm equally happy with my ' conventionally mounted' camera as well.
namanchaudhary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 20:25   #4106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm researching on it extensively. Seems like those plug n play LEDs from companies like Night eye, Philips or Autobahn are the easiest and cheapest. But the reviews are mixed, a lot of them are positive but the negatives are there too.
2012 Models don't even have separate high and low beams. So i guess before I think of doing anything major I'd try a simple high-low beam combined 5500k LEDs from a reputed brand like the Ultinon Essential from Philips since I don't like it "too white"
Mine is 2014: single bulb, two elements.
Old 30th July 2020, 01:01   #4107
BHPian

I did alot of research on retrofitting LED bulbs simply but turns out its more for show than actual performance, HID without projectors is a big NO NO. So, I started looking for completely built plug n play kits. Got to see alot of options, Eagle eyes (UU type), Passat style headlights too, all came in with 2 years warranty, there's even previous GTI themed too but there's which caught my eye, it's based on European Polo GTI. Here's the link -

The guy is asking for 25k for the pair and installation included. The catch here is that it comes with separate chambers high and low beam but the low beam side is empty. So he's offering a complete D2s HID kit from Aozoom for additional 8k.

The headlights look great, some reputed dealers like Retro Fits or MXS Motorsport Delhi are offering this with good warranties. Can anyone share his experience with these options?

Last edited by namanchaudhary : 30th July 2020 at 01:03.
Old 30th July 2020, 04:56   #4108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I did alot of research on retrofitting LED bulbs simply but turns out its more for show than actual performance ...
Thanks. Personally, though, I am not interested in that kind of look, nor will I spend that kind of money. New tyres this year is more than enough! So... plain old halogen it will be.
Old 30th July 2020, 10:24   #4109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks. Personally, though, I am not interested in that kind of look, nor will I spend that kind of money. New tyres this year is more than enough! So... plain old halogen it will be.
Exactly, This is exactly the reason I paid that much for an RCD340 and didn't go the Pioneer or any after market options. Even I'm not a fan of this look. In simple plug & play LEDs, I'd really recommend you Morimoto Stroke 2.0s, they're direct plug n play, very decent performance, comparatively light on your pocket and won't ruin the factory look.

Overall a very good option for single module high-low beam setup for Polo. Usually out of stock but currently in stock at Retro Rides Delhi.
Old 30th July 2020, 13:07   #4110
BHPian

Quote:
The guy who installed my RCD 340 offered me that flip camera for Rs 9,000 extra over the RCD 340 I got for Rs 18,000 here in Delhi. So depending on where you live expect around Rs 25k to 30k for both RCD 340 and Flip Camera. Just know that even though it's less gimmicky, I'm equally happy with my ' conventionally mounted' camera as well.
Can you share where in Delhi did you get the RCD 340 installed? I am looking to get the same installed in my car was well. Need the conventionally mounted backup camera as well. Would be much appreciated!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks