Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2022, 15:47   #4141
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSK3210 View Post
Hello Everybody, I am a new member to this group and this is my first post, So this is the story on my car and how she came to me. Hope you enjoy it

KA 22 P 3210 the Volkswagen polo was bro
Hey, a big hello from a fellow Belgaum-ite here. I am yet to read your full post but was caught with a pleasant surprise at your mention of KA 22 and instantly jumped on to reply to you Welcome to Team-BHP, a forum which you will fall in love with everyday. By the way, I am Dr. Vivek from Belgaum and I too own a Reflex Silver Polo 1.2 MPFI Comfortline petrol - KA 22 MA 3457. I live in Mumbai though and regularly drive solo from Mumbai to Belgaum and back. Hope to catch up with you sometime Here is my darling Polo
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-screenshot_20220404154458.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-screenshot_20220404154040.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 18:29   #4142

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeivan View Post
Hello, There is a slight dent on a bonnet + bumper(s) damage in my Polo after a minor incident last week . I am planning to use my insurance coverage (zero dep), just wondering how long these kinds of work (number of days) typically take at VW Bangalore or VW Palace Cross or any service centers in TN? My current insurance service provider doesn't have a cashless option with VW service centers. I do not want to get the work done at a multi-brand garage.

The damages are on the bonnet (just above the place the logo sits), bumper and number plate.

Thank you in advance.
In my experience when my father's polo met with a minor fender bender accident vw took about a week and a half to claim insurance and do the denting and painting.
SSK3210 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 18:42   #4143

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Hey, a big hello from a fellow Belgaum-ite here. I am yet to read your full post but was caught with a pleasant surprise at your mention of KA 22 and instantly jumped on to reply to you Welcome to Team-BHP, a forum which you will fall in love with everyday. By the way, I am Dr. Vivek from Belgaum and I too own a Reflex Silver Polo 1.2 MPFI Comfortline petrol - KA 22 MA 3457. I live in Mumbai though and regularly drive solo from Mumbai to Belgaum and back. Hope to catch up with you sometime Here is my darling Polo
Thank you soo much, it's great to hear from another belgaumite here at the forum,hope to catch up with you soon
Old 25th April 2022, 14:01   #4144
BHPian

Dear All

I have just become a part of the Polo Owners group here.
After my first and only Motorcycle, the Yamaha RD350 I have always owned big cars starting from a Contessa - Cielo - Scorpio - Camry - Grand Vitara 2.0 and now a Grand Vitara 2.4.
Recently I had to sell my Camry and Grand Vitara 2.0 because of the NCR Rule and was left with only a Grand Vitara 2.4.

My wife and daughter who is learning to drive insisted that they can't handle a big car and I should get a small car for them. I was looking to buy a Baleno 2022 if it was available immediately, one Nexa dealer even took the payment promising delivery the next day but later backed out and refunded. Whatever happens happens for the best, maybe I have got a temporary car valid till 2027 and we will switch straight to Electric then.

After a lot of ups and downs I have finally got a good Sky Blue Polo 2012 1.2 Manual Comfortline in stock condition yesterday. It has done original 51K. I really loved the Sky Blue color. When I was driving it back home last evening, it really swept me off my feet. It's a hoot to drive, what amazing pick-up. This thing easily touches 100 in 3rd gear. All my apprehensions of a 3 pot engine are gone. Even the 4 pot new Baleno 2022 which I test drove a few weeks ago would die in shame.
I think it will be a good Manual Car for a 19 year to learn driving.

I am in the process to getting it up to my level with a few upgrades. I will appreciate getting advice from Proud Polo owners here.

Kindly advice on the following:

1. The Polo has the stock 210 stereo right now. The previous owner has somehow got a Bluetooth attached which turns on when we switch to CD. It's only to play music off the Phones, not for calls. I want to upgrade to a decent touchscreen system. I would have liked the stock RCD-340 but it seems to be in shortage and is too expensive. I spoke to the Ramesh Nagar guy from whom Naman got it, he tells me it's not in stock for a few weeks and will cost 28K. I don't think it justifies this cost.
Next option would be an Android System. What size of an Android System would fit well in the Polo ? Can anybody who has done it share pics ?

2. Steering Controls. I researched the options and came across some videos of the Steering Control Panel stuck on top of the steering. I somehow don't like the idea. Is it too complicated to replace the steering of the Comfortline with the Steering of the Highline which has steering Controls.

3. The Polo Comfortline has central locking controlled by the Driver side Key. All Doors lock and unlock with it. I would like to get a Remote operated Central Locking system. While researching I came across this video. It seems this guy managed to configure the VW OEM Flip Keys without adding Module in the Car. Has anybody tried it. Any idea where this could be done in Delhi-NCR ?

4. Alloys. The Polo right now has 14" Steel rims. Will it be possible to find used alloys at a reasonable cost. What is the size of Alloys and tires that are recommended. Only if we get 14" Alloys can we use the existing tires which are in good condition. How much do you think would be the cost to upgrade to alloys.

5. Is it true that it's better to get VW cars serviced at the Authorized Service Centers only. Is it difficult for the neighborhood mechanics to handle a Polo ? I have very good mechanics who were doing the suspension of a Polo GT recently when I visited them. The idea of a Polo started from there. Would anybody be able to advice on a good place for Service in South Delhi? Also recommend a good place to buy Polo parts. I need for example - the AC Vents, The Windshield Washer Fluid Bottle Cap.

I got the car from an owner only yesterday. I still have to send the Polo for a Clean up and Bumper paint to my Denter-Painter. I'm still sharing some pictures here. More pictures when it comes back after a makeover.

Styler
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-pic1.jpeg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-pic2.jpeg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-pic3.jpeg  

Last edited by Styler : 25th April 2022 at 14:18.
Styler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 17:20   #4145
BHPian

Dear Polo Users

As I mentioned in the previous post I got a Polo 1.2 Petrol a few days ago.
Now I will need the help of the experienced people here.

After a about 10 seconds of starting the Car I get 3 long beeps.
I tried my OBD2 to check. I'm happy that the OBD2 got connected and I could clear all previous errors and check for fresh recurring errors.

I see two errors connected to the Throttle.
1. P0638-Throttle Actuator Control Range/ Performance Blank 1
2. P0221-Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor / Switch B Circuit Range / Performance.
The car runs fine apart from one incident on the day I got the car. Once after starting the car, pressing the Accelerator did not rev up the engine. I opened the Air filter and the hose over the Throttle Body and tapped it, cleaned it a little and it became normal. After that the engine is revving up fine.

Anybody could advice on what needs to be done to fix this. Do I need to get the Throttle Body cleaned up or something more ?

Attaching the Screen Shots of the Error Codes.

Styler.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_8840.png  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_8841.png  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_8842.png  

Last edited by Styler : 26th April 2022 at 17:23.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 14:28   #4146

Hi!
Congratulations on the new Polo.
Tye car seems to be in good shape.
For the Infotainment system: Go for a 8" Android system.witg Android auto.
Alloys: yes you obviously have to upgrade the tyre as well. My advice would be to run the current tyres and once they are worn out, upgrade to 15" alloys +Yokohama rubber. It should set you back by ₹ 1Lakh for quality stuff.
Steering: I upgraded my stock GT steering (with mounted controls) to paddle shifters. So I have the stock steering (without airbag) lying around. You can manage the rest of the intricacies and a airbag, let me know I could cut you a nice deal.
Cheers!
trupian88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 15:04   #4147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post

I see two errors connected to the Throttle.
1. P0638-Throttle Actuator Control Range/ Performance Blank 1
2. P0221-Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor / Switch B Circuit Range / Performance.
I am pretty sure that the car has not been running for over a year. It has been lying idle in a dusty environment or on road side, which unfortunately is too common in Delhi-Ncr, Howrah-Kolkata and Mumbai-Pune area. Dust seems to have been accumalated in throttle area.

It would need a proper engine cleaning. Remove and wash/clean whatever parts you can and change filter and hoses. You should also change/check/clean electric wire and pedal wire. Overall, if done thouroughly at an FNG it would cost a day's labour charge and washing cost.

If problem occurs gagain and again actuator will need to be replaced.

P.s. Not a polo owner

Last edited by Sran : 27th April 2022 at 15:05. Reason: Added p.s
Sran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 15:18   #4148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSK3210 View Post
In my experience when my father's polo met with a minor fender bender accident vw took about a week and a half to claim insurance and do the denting and painting.
thank you for the response, although it is a tad old post - just for future references, VW Bangalore took almost 15 - 20 days due to some delays in the procurement or receipt of the paint (mine was copper orange).
rdeivan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 15:27   #4149

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeivan View Post
thank you for the response, although it is a tad old post - just for future references, VW Bangalore took almost 15 - 20 days due to some delays in the procurement or receipt of the paint (mine was copper orange).
i agree that there can be delays in work and parts arrival but the main reason i mentioned my dads polo in the post was because even after keeping the car for that long when it came back the paint had multiple pinholes in it , it was not polished properly and the panel gaps were not aligned properly overall it was just a bad job i was not at all happy with it thats all and i am not saying vw does bad work it might me just that the staff working here is not trained well enough in denting and painting.
Old 30th October 2022, 20:52   #4150

Hi All,
I plan to buy a pre-worshipped polo diesel and zeroed in on a car on an online portal - a 2015 model that has clocked 53000 kms. Service history seems continuous and looks like the car was serviced at VW throughout. To my limited knowledge, test drive seemed great. However, I need the forums guidance on 2 issues as the service history has a few concerns:

1. The vehicle seems to have met with an accident last yr and the repairs that were carried out involved the following part changes - “BONNET REPAIR,CARRY OUT ACCIDENT REPLACE (BAJAJ),FR RHS TYRE REPLACE(YOKOHAMA),FRONT BUMPER REPLACE,RHS FENDER REPLACE,RHS FOG LAMP REPLACE,RHS HEAD LAMP REPLACE,RHS MIRROR ASMBLY C/R,SUPPORT PANEL REPLACE,TO DO WHEEL ALIGNMENT,WIPER TANK REPLACE” - To me, this looks like a not so minor accident. What say?
2. For one year of ownership (i.e 2020), all 3 entries on the service history, i.e 3 visits to a particular VW service centre (specifically VW Salem) records ODO reading of 117898 kms exactly (3 visits in 3 months of 2020 - Sep, Oct and Nov). However, service entries of 2019 are showing 30K kms as ODO readings and those of 2021 show ODO readings of 40K Kms. Something seems fishy. Looks like the vehicle was there for 3 months!

Should I just walk away from this vehicle? If I can still consider it, should I get it inspected in a VW service centre or at German car FNG (Chennai forum lists Mr Jai Prakash of German Tech at Vyasarpadi as one such German car expert. Pls advice!
Old 16th January 2023, 13:40   #4151
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
I am in the process to getting it up to my level with a few upgrades. I will appreciate getting advice from Proud Polo owners here.
Congrats on your new polo! I own a Polo TDI white and I'll add few pointers to your questions

1. I have upgraded my stock VW music system (2017) with woodmen xtreme robo 4 android system (Cost me 29k with free installation, free rear parking camera and seller added can bus with purchase as diwali offer), My primary requirements were wireless android auto, apple car play and rear parking camera. It was plug and play system and working well so far. Rear parking camera is average but manageable. They provide car specific outer frame and its fit and finish is good. Steering controls are also working on my highline model. Only niggle I have faced so far is "next song" selection buttons are reversed on my steering controls.

2. Steering mount controls - I would suggest to avoid making changes

4. You can get used (unused if you're lucky) 15 inch polo alloys for somewhere around 25k-35k. keep looking on olx/quickr. Decent third party alloys can cost you close to 10k/piece. Recently I have upgraded tyres to MRF Perfinza CLX1 195/60 R15, Even though I like the grip and performance, Noise is on higher side compared to Yokoham and Michelin. 15 inch tyres will cost you between 5k-7k depending upon the brand.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th January 2023 at 15:11. Reason: Please quote a post selectively. A large quoted post inconveniences small screen users.
sunilarkt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 14:55   #4152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilarkt View Post
Congrats on your new polo! I own a Polo TDI white and I'll add few pointers to your questions

1. I have upgraded my stock VW music system (2017) with woodmen xtreme robo 4 android system (Cost me 29k with free installation, free rear parking camera and seller added can bus with purchase as diwali offer), My primary requirements were wireless android auto, apple car play and rear parking camera. It was plug and play system and working well so far. Rear parking camera is average but manageable. They provide car specific outer frame and its fit and finish is good. Steering controls are also working on my highline model. Only niggle I have faced so far is "next song" selection buttons are reversed on my steering controls.

2. Steerling mount controls - I would suggest to avoid making changes

4. You can get used (unused if you're lucky) 15 inch polo alloys for somewhere around 25k-35k. keep looking on olx/quickr. Decent third party alloys can cost you close to 10k/piece. Recently I have upgraded tyres to MRF Perfinza CLX1 195/60 R15, Even though I like the grip and performance, Noise is on higher side compared to Yokoham and Michelin. 15 inch tyres will cost you between 5k-7k depending upon the brand.
Thanks Sunil
Thanks for the advice. That was a very old post you replied to.
A lot has been done to my Polo since then.
It is almost 9 months since I got it.
You can read the story of this Polo here :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5365536 (How I ended up getting a pre-owned 10-year old VW Polo to teach my daughter driving)
Styler
Styler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 00:32   #4153

6-month review of my VW Polo 1.2 Highline

A few months ago, I made a post asking for help regarding which car I should buy after I sold my XUV500 due to its high maintenance. I preferred a German car but everyone in the thread tried their best to convince me out of it. They failed and here I am writing a review of my Volkswagen polo. It's a 2013 highline which runs on a sweet scented propellant that is petrol. The night blue color [that's what Volkswagen likes to call it] looks royal and is a pretty rare color in polos. I prefer it over the famous red and white polo colors. It has been around 6 months after buying it and here are my thoughts on it-

Exterior

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img20230128wa0008.jpg
Polos are effortlessly elegant, regardless of the color. However, when the polo owners decide to modify it, most of the time they end up making it look aggressive rather than elegant. However, this car oozes an understated charm that very few vehicles in the segment can match. That being said, there is one bit of the exterior that I'm not so fond of. For example, the pre-2015 polos came with very cheap and ugly looking front bumpers. The lower grill, to be precise, does not match the polo's otherwise charismatic look. Luckily, the designers shared that opinion with me and replaced that lower grill for the future models in the next facelift. The cuts and creases are designed to perfection, a tad more aggressive approach and you would call the car vulgar. The alloy design matches the polo’s character. The polo has aged like wine , if you ignore the lower grill. It doesn’t look out of place even today and I don't think it will in the near future either. If you look at the current generation of cars, you will notice the cars try too hard to stand out. The high stance, weird and quirky lights, and aggressive creases of the modern hatchbacks make me wonder about how they will age. The designers of the polo have done an astounding job on its design and deserved a raise for the design. Or maybe it is just me who thinks it is more gorgeous than it actually is just because it is my car now.
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img20230128wa0005.jpg

Interior

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img20230128wa0015.jpg
This is where things go a bit south for the polo. Let’s get the few good things about the interior out of the way. The dashboard design is effortless and is sorted out in a very Germanic manner. The instrument cluster is quite straightforward as well, 2 round dial with a puny screen between the dials which gives you all the info about the fuel consumption etc.
The designers must have decided to use as little imagination as possible. I don’t mind it really but I won't be surprised if others would find it dreary. I adore the “no-nonsense” approach Volkswagen has taken while building the car.

Unfortunately, the Germans forgot to use the approach while constructing the backseats. The room on offer is nonsensical. I had more headroom and legroom in the 3rd row of XUV500. A Wagon R from the same era seems like a Maybach compared to the Polo, in terms of rear space. It's almost like Volkswagen had some kind of a personal grudge against the rear passengers while creating the car. You would expect the Germans to add some features at the rear to compensate for the rear space, but you would be wrong. The electric powered windows are the only luxuries the rear passengers deserve, is what the workers at Volkswagen thought at the time.
Due to gigantic transmission hump, no human with working legs would be physically able to sit in the middle at the rear. Thus you can understand why they did not give a center headrest however they couldn’t be bothered to provide a center armrest either.
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img20230128wa0009.jpg

For a 2013 car, it is well-loaded in terms of features. Climate control, Bluetooth and a few other features which would be considered mandatory on new cars are present. Shockingly, it lacks a reverse parking camera and a touchscreen. I have completely forgotten about the market of cars in 2013, and thus maybe comparing the car to my previous 2013 XUV500, which was a few segments above it. I don’t have a memory strong enough to remember whether cars from that era came with the features that I am currently moaning about.

I have got to admit, that simple speedometer looks gorgeous when lit. The car does not need unnecessary accessories, like fake wood and weird creases to make the interior and exterior look beautiful.

Issues

Team bhp users had warned me about this factor. I was told that the car would not help my maintenance woes. I came across an issue just 2 weeks into ownership. The car used to shudder nervously every time you put it in reverse gear.
The digital screen shows that the car is giving an atrocious mileage of 7-12 kmpl, at first I thought there was an issue with the computer or the display, only to realize the car actually had that low mileage. The rear left electric window switch didn’t work either.

I got the issues checked with my nearest VW service center and they suggested a clutch replacement. Clutch replacements are expected to be expensive, but not 30K expensive. At least that is what the service center quoted us. One of the only reasons we decided to withdraw our booking from a 2014 Polo GT was due to its inevitable and expensive DSG gearbox issues. And if the highline gave us a bill of 30K plus in its first service, the future didn’t seem very promising.

There was no way on god’s green earth that we were paying 30K already. So we took a second opinion from our local service guy, who quoted us a cost of 9K. In hindsight, I think we made the correct decision. Only the future will tell us how big of a hole this decision will make in my pockets.

Since the initial service, the car has not brought up a single issue.

Driving experience

For an engine which barely produces 80 bhp, it is a pretty lively engine. It doesn’t struggle in the early gears, but as you upshift, you can feel the lack of power. It may not be the highway cruiser, but definitely is more than capable of overcoming most everyday city problems[the only problem it can’t overcome is the low mileage]. The engine does need more refinement, or maybe I just feel the lack of refinement due to the damaged insulation in the engine bay.
Even if you redline 2nd and shift to 3rd, you barely notice any further acceleration. Until you look into the speedo, you wouldn’t realize that the car is actually supposed to be accelerating, even after completely following the accelerator pedal.
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img20230128wa0002.jpg

The chassis of the German makes it stand out. It may not have a powerful inline 4 to power the vehicle ahead, but you can sense the rallying pedigree of the car when you take it out for a spin. The steering is perfectly weighted for city manoeuverability.

The gear shifts are as smooth as butter and the shear satisfaction of shifting gears manually couldn’t be felt if I had gone for the Polo GT. The clutch replacement had certainly gone well. However, the gear shifts in the XUV still felt easier and smoother.

No complaints about the ride quality, however the polo isn’t able to absorb bumps as smoothly as an XUV which is quite understandable. It is quite pointless to compare the XUV to the Polo. XUV is in a different league altogether, but still I couldn’t help but notice all these minor differences.

Due to its compact size, manoeuverability is the least of the polo’s worries. The light throw from the headlights is quite dreadful. No wonder, most polo owners decide to opt for aftermarket headlights.

It is quite puzzling to understand how on earth did Volkswagen manage to achieve a fuel efficiency of less than 13 kmpl and yet only producing 74 bhp and 110 Nm of torque. That 1.2L 3 cylinder is an extremely questionable choice. Neither do you get performance, neither do you get efficiency. But the other factors of the polo certainly make up for that engine.

Verdict

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img20230128wa0007.jpg
[Ignore the scratches, it's due to some clumsy driving]

I love this little blue machine. You won’t be able to find one thing it is perfect at, but still it has a different sort of character. If you treat it as a machine, you will make a mile long list of flaws. But if you treat it as the loveable little creature that it is, you will instantly forget all these minor faults. I may have groaned about some of its flaws above, but that is because I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible in this review. If you talk to me, in person, and list the same issues I have mentioned here, I will argue and call these flaws irrelevant until I have won the argument.
Mayank Tumbre is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 17:58   #4154
Senior - BHPian

Re: 6-month review of my VW Polo 1.2 Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayank Tumbre View Post
I love this little blue machine. You won’t be able to find one thing it is perfect at, but still it has a different sort of character. If you treat it as a machine, you will make a mile long list of flaws. But if you treat it as the loveable little creature that it is, you will instantly forget all these minor faults. I may have groaned about some of its flaws above, but that is because I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible in this review. If you talk to me, in person, and list the same issues I have mentioned here, I will argue and call these flaws irrelevant until I have won the argument.
I hadnt read your thread earlier during the buying process, else I would have whole heartedly recommended you the 1.6 Petrol.

It addresses all the complaints from the 1.2 Petrol. I have one and its absolutely smoking!
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 22:30   #4155
BHPian

Re: 6-month review of my VW Polo 1.2 Highline

Congratulations on a well written review. I have a 2015 Polo, close to 100k on odo. I agree with all your points. Just one suggestion - don't head to VW workshops for service or mechanical repairs. Do a bit of research and find a local person apt for European cars and trustworthy to put original parts.

After the warranty is over, I would recommend every Polo owner to do above. The brand workshops will give 3-4x quotes for pretty much everything. Only go to them for electronics after your local contact gives up.

If VW ever moves out of India, it will only be due to this exploitative approach of the workshops. I do believe they have figured out the cars for Indian market and are well placed with increased affordability of consumers and recent launches.
Shobhitsaxena is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks