Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 20:23   #811
BHPian

Last week, I tagged along with my friend for shortlisting a hatchback for his daily drive inside city limits, Although

we started with i10, I was looking forward to lay my hands on the new Polo. Finally when I met her (Polo 1.2L

Petrol version), this is what happened:

-The traditional European "not so tall" design. a right mix of muscle and curvy looks was pleasing to my eyes.

- Superior Plastic quality, No non-sence and to-the-point cockpit.

- If you're any where less than 5'7" in height, the lower varients are not for you due to the absence of heght

adjustable driver seats.

- Back seat legroom is just enough for kids if the parents are 6 footers!

- Good bootspace!

-Crank the engine and the first question hits your head "HUH? Is this a diesel varient??"
due to the vibration and engine noise (only 3 pots running inside the cylinder!!).

- Engine kicks off with a decent amount of torque for the figures mentioned (110 Nm @ 3750) on the spec sheets.

but as you rev, the kick seems dying out cos the engine wont respond as the way you expect.

- Responsive steering wheel for a city drive and decent brakes.

- 15000kms service interval with 3-4K of expected service bills was mentioned by one of the sales guy. This is

justified with the plans of manufacturing the parts in India.

Overall scoring a 6.5 out of 7 in my opinion with a good package of looks and features

Asif Aslam
Old 5th April 2010, 20:35   #812
BHPian

Considering the current hatch market, I dont think the VW Polo would be any threat to the Figo. With higher value for money from Ford and a superior package, it should remain a clear winner in the segment.
Old 5th April 2010, 21:21   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post
Considering the current hatch market, I dont think the VW Polo would be any threat to the Figo. With higher value for money from Ford and a superior package, it should remain a clear winner in the segment.
very true, since both cater to different sets of customers. With just 40 dealers across the country VW only targeted the urban crowd who wont mind spending an extra bit for snob value, ride quality, pleasant interiors, and a fresh International product (albeit tailor-made for India).

Fords only aim was to target the masses, this reflects with launch of new dealerships across the country, use of old platform and borrowed exterior and interior design (fusion, fiesta flavor). It is a VFM package and poses serious threat to swifts, ritz, i10s. But Polos, Puntos, i20s will have their own charming place.
Old 5th April 2010, 23:25   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
very true, since both cater to different sets of customers. With just 40 dealers across the country VW only targeted the urban crowd who wont mind spending an extra bit for snob value, ride quality, pleasant interiors, and a fresh International product (albeit tailor-made for India).

Fords only aim was to target the masses, this reflects with launch of new dealerships across the country, use of old platform and borrowed exterior and interior design (fusion, fiesta flavor). It is a VFM package and poses serious threat to swifts, ritz, i10s. But Polos, Puntos, i20s will have their own charming place.
We should stop comparing Figo and Polo. Both belong to two different segments. But IMHO Petrol Polo TL and Diesel Figo Exi are really VFM across products.
Old 5th April 2010, 23:26   #815
BHPian

has anyone got knowledge about the Navigation system that is on offer with the polo.
the VW india website has a car configurator option, inside which there is an optional equipment by the name of 'Navigation System with Blue tooth' with price listed as Rs.14832.
anyone who can shed more info on that.
Old 5th April 2010, 23:47   #816
BHPian

It's a Garmin nuvi that you could probably buy off eBay for about a 150 dollars. The 3.5" screen isn't all that great (I used to own a nuvi 350 many years ago that was almost the same). I think VW customized the software a little bit with VW branding all over but the core functionality remains the same like any nuvi system.
Old 6th April 2010, 06:27   #817
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
It's a Garmin nuvi that you could probably buy off eBay for about a 150 dollars. The 3.5" screen isn't all that great (I used to own a nuvi 350 many years ago that was almost the same). I think VW customized the software a little bit with VW branding all over but the core functionality remains the same like any nuvi system.
Then one definitely is better off buying the Nuvi system outside along with India maps. That would be much better, as then you can then do anything with box on you PC and use maps/tracks the way you want.
Old 6th April 2010, 09:19   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Then one definitely is better off buying the Nuvi system outside along with India maps. That would be much better, as then you can then do anything with box on you PC and use maps/tracks the way you want.
Yep, absolutely. Buy one with the larger 4.3" display though as it tends to make the data a lot more legible.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:06   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post
According to NDTV Profit VW has clocked more than 5000 bookings for Polo. If it is true then that is exceptional, considering that VW has just 40 dealers.

Any idea about number of Figo bookings?
Old 6th April 2010, 11:13   #820
Senior - BHPian

If true, this is phenomenal. This even before the diesel launch. Once diesel is launched VW may go in overdrive mode. Figo bookings seem to be around 10000.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:14   #821
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Figo bookings seem to be around 10000.
The figo bookings that you have mentioned are till March 30th only
Old 6th April 2010, 11:17   #822
Senior - BHPian

Mustang, Even the Polo figures may be till March 31 only. Lot of people are turning away from Polo due to ridiculous waiting periods.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:18   #823
BANNED

Yes very true poloman.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:28   #824
Senior - BHPian

Here is a link confirming same from BS
Surge in car demand means waiting weeks for many models
Old 6th April 2010, 12:09   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post

I Don't agree here. It will eat share of Polo, Punto & i20 also. People will definitely think of Figo. Like Instead of buying i20 people will definitely think of top end Diesel in Figo as it is more VFM package than i20

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks