Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2010, 13:04   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Open the rear hatch via the VW badge.
I guess this should prevent stealing of monograms.
How would it prevent stealing?

Instead I fear that the initial owners of Polo(atleast in mumbai) would have to be careful about the logos as VW is a high-end brand and its logos would definitely command a premium and as the Logo itself acts a grab-handle to open the hatch, i dread if someone tries too hard to remove the Logo he might just end-up breaking the handle
Old 27th February 2010, 13:06   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
You mentioned spotting a 1.6 at the plant, any visible changes?.. say blackened headlamps? different rims? wider tyres?
I took a quick look at the interiors too - nothing stood out as different. Just a small 1.6 badge on the bottom right of the boot.

The funny thing it was parked in an area demarcated with a sign that said "TRY OUT PARTS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
'Das Auto' is what you see at the railway station. (10 autorickshaws)
Hilarious!

Add to that - i'd be willing to bet that a large number of Indians don't even know that VW sells cars in India.
The recent marketing and full page ads have helped, but still a long way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I remember when we got our OHC in 2001. With only one dealer in town, we were totally under his mercy. No competition + heavy workload=Poor service.
True - but this isn't 2001 anymore. Look at the sheer number of alternatives there are to the Polo!
Back in the day you probably had 1 alternative to the OHC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpzone View Post
1. Is there any difference in MID between versions? brochure says Highline has open door warning light, anything else?
As GTO mentioned - the cars we drove were a mixed back of trim (probably pieced together by VW before the final levels of kit were chosen). We didn't notice a difference between our cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpzone View Post
9.Brochure mentions about green tinted glass on all variants, will a sunfilm required?
Don't expect this to be like your standard tinted glass, its just a coating.

Will try to get back to you on your other questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
...One question GTO, in start-stop traffic, does the engine (petrol especially) have enough grunt to pull from idle? I mean, can I just nudge the car forward at 0 kmph speeds with just the clutch? I hope I make sense!
The 1.2 petrol is nowhere near as bad as people might have been expecting, but naturally you can't expect the same performance at idle as you would from a diesel or a 4-cyl petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
...One more: Is the optional navigation unit inbuilt to the dash or a handheld unit?
It will probably be built in to the dash. Don't see the sense of it being offered in any other way - however i seem to have missed the mention of this add-on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
...give it pep and a lower clutch and it will be a winner
I should probably mention again, that the clutch issue GTO faced was not even noticeable to me, due to our different driving positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
....Someone even said that at 150KM/HR its as good as a merc!
There is definitely some truth to this. On our expressway stint the car was superbly steady and road noise was at a minimum. You'd never guess were doing 140km/h. That said, i had a few thoughts about the speedo being a little optimistic - but we did not get to test this in any way.
The only tricky part was that on bumps the car would squirm around a little - but that was only because the driver tends to move the steering himself on bumps due to the light EPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
Do you think there is going to be a 1.6 Petrol Hatchback? I heard they would be substituting 1.6 Hatch with a Sedan? Will anyone be able to validate the same?
Thats what im scared of too!
I have a feeling the 1.6 will debut on the sedan sometime later this year. How and when the hatch gets the 1.6 - we'll have to wait and see.

The TSI would be something else though!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th February 2010 at 13:16.
Old 27th February 2010, 13:08   #78
Senior - BHPian

Comparing the Punto and Polo... the Fiat offers everything that Polo does and more which includes better equipment levels inside out, better engines, cheaper price only loosing out on the interior quality bit.
The Polo TDi diesel is a fair bit expensive.
Old 27th February 2010, 13:11   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sorry, but the petrol & diesel that we drove didn't have the factory stereo. The test cars were a mixed bag of trim levels. It's only at the end of the day, at the VW plant, that we got our hands on a car with OEM audio.
First things first: a good review, well balanced and extremely readable, but that is the high standards you (two) live up to, so its a matter of pride, and of course!

That said, my first question in mind was: you keep mentioning the Highline and all I can see ( apart from a couple of pics of the car obviously at the plant) was what looks like a comfortline. That would explain the lack of rear power windows (and their controls) amongst other things.

As you also mention, cars being showcased to the public at various forums seem to be a mixed bag of parts (see the red polo at the auto expo for example, with 17 inch boa vista alloys!)
This might be a strategy to confuse the issue, but what I have seen and commented on by close scrutiny of whatever photographic evidence came to hand has pretty much borne out.
I did not see an AUX input, and you confirm that. I did not see a dead pedal, and you confirm that.
Of course we never ever saw electric adjustments for ORVMs and the like.

Which comes to the next question, already raised by some here: why the Polo at all?

My Palio (first gen) has soft feel rubber control stalks for chrissakes. It has a hole in the spare wheel cover for easy lifting. It has hard plastics everywhere else. Windows that wind down 70% at the rear. A 1.2 L engine that gives me 19kmpl on the road to Panjim. And at 6'2", i like to know that when i put the seat all the way back, i can get in at the back with that setting and not have to sit spread-eagled. I already have fabulous ride, stability and road-holding at speed.

I am not seeing enough to want to buy this over my old Palio apart from the fact that it has ABS and airbags.

Having to take a hit by way of excise duties on a forthcoming 1.6 Polo and being saddled with what is essentially a generation old engine for the next 3-5 years makes no sense when the manufacturer itself has a cutting edge, excise-friendly, fuel- sipping 1.2 TSI that makes the same power and is available right now!

We have gone through the fuel quality argument and the cost argument. If we want to save cost, save it by giving us something that helps us save fuel and have some smiles doing it.
I said it elsewhere, and I'm saying it here. I followed this Polo from its leak before the Geneva show last march, and this is so far diluted from what we saw there that I will not buy this in any trim or variant.
Old 27th February 2010, 13:17   #80
BANNED

Excellent review as usual.

Quote:
Open the rear hatch via the VW badge. Boot release has an electric action. When you press the hatch-release, you can hear an electric motor clicking:
Awesome.. I would like to see this on an i20 or future models

Quote:
• VW’s market blitzkrieg included the tagline “Das Auto”. In my opinion, this is the worst tagline to use for a mass market like India. Sure, “Das Auto” means “The Car”, but just how many people know that? Its silly to use a foreign language in your punchline for a market of 1.2 Billion people. A market with nearly 350 spoken languages at that.
In India its sounds more like a Local mechanical shop or a dealer name .

DAS AUTO WORKS - All Tinkering, paint jobs,washing and servicing done here.
Old 27th February 2010, 14:02   #81
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Frankly, give it pep and a lower clutch and it will be a winner

Great report R&R!
Thanks. I know you are on top of all the British publications, did they also complain about this high placed clutch pedal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I went back and read the Figo review and noticed that you had the same feedback from Figo petrol as well. It's almost the same going by your Figo review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
POLO

FIGO

- More or less the same points and Figo is lot cheaper
As relatively VFM European cars in our B segment, the Polo & Figo are SO similar:

- Excellent ride and handling (expected of European cars)

- Figo's diesel is A+, again as expected of the Euros. Polo diesel is a disappointment.

- Build = Both are solid.

- Modernity : The Polo over the Figo.

- Interior space : Both are more or less the same, Figo has a slight advantage at the rear. Boot size is also near identical.

- Petrol engines : Neither can take the fight to the segment-leading K series. Either is a commuter engine. The Polo's is a tad sharper, but the Figo is more refined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
BTW, GTO what is your personal choice between the Punto MJD E-pack, I 20 CRDi and Polo highline?
Red Punto 1.3 MJD Option Pack. I'd even get Fiat to give me a special ed with the Linea spec engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Am I correct to say that for the common man (Read non-enthusiast) the 1.2 K Series engined Marutis offer 95% of what he wants in a small car?
Forget common man, the Ritz 1.2 K series petrol will even keep us enthusiasts happy. Not in a 100 BHP way, but in terms of refinement, driveability, fuel efficiency and top-end. It's a jewel of an engine. I am honestly and pleasantly surprised as to how Maruti pulled out such a trump card!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Someone even said that at 150KM/HR its as good as a merc!
Well, I drive a Merc and can tell you that it's an exaggeration. Yes, the Polo is VERY stable at high speed, as Rehaan posted there is some truth in the statement. But comparing to a Merc so blatantly is well............

Best amongst hatchbacks : The Punto, in terms of outright solidity and straight line stability.

Quote:
I guess and its a guess only that between 2000 to 2500 per month should be a decent sales figures to eventually settle for.(could be completely off the mark here)
BINGO! My own prediction for the Polo is in the 2,500 - 3,000 range (i.e. the settle down number once the initial launch hype is over).

Last edited by GTO : 27th February 2010 at 14:04.
Old 27th February 2010, 14:12   #82
BHPian

That was an excellent review. Great job GTO and Rehaan. It was very comprehensive and puts most magazines and dedicated websites to shame.

It appears that the Polo is truly a contender, but is ruined by a few glaring weaknesses or omissions. Also, it appears that the 1.6 got cold feet and is having second thoughts about entering the fray. I hope that its just a case of VW tweaking the car before the launch.

If that is indeed the case, we can only hope VW will read this review and implement the necessary changes:

- Clutch pedal needs to be adjusted
- Locking system needs to be rectified
- Missing gadgets.. people who put the money down for a bigger engine will also expect goodies like electric OVRMs, automatic A/C, steering mounted controls
- Rear disc brakes - the 1.6 will need these
- Better plastics or at least all-black interiors
- Bring back the Euro-style headlamps for the 1.6 (this has been mentioned several times)
- Improve the steering feel.. its just a matter of tweaking a few settings
- Perhaps lower the car a bit (since its the 'sporty' version)

Or else, VW could just plonk in a 1.2 TSI or the 1.8 TSI from the Laura/Superb and price it at about 8L. Or just give us what we really want.
Old 27th February 2010, 14:15   #83
Senior - BHPian

Good job guys ! Was waiting for this review and guess what ? Your review cleared up the confusion in my head - come August and I shall be seen in the Red Polo petrol (let's hope it's a 1.6)

The locking mechanism is the same in the Skoda's too. You open the drivers door and try to open the rear door only to find it's locked. Then go back and press the unlock button - I am used to it now.

The ride and handling are sweet and it looks killer to me in red. The interiors (though a few parts look cheap) are par for the course.

The ACC and electrically adjustable RVM's not being given, even on the top end, is not good.

And what about the OEM audio ? Is it provided on the top end version only ??

Last edited by normally_crazy : 27th February 2010 at 14:21.
Old 27th February 2010, 14:25   #84
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...review-34.html

After looking the Figo personally(above link), and the fantastic review of Polo by GTO, I seriously doubt that the ultimate winner will be the Swift with our national engine!!(considering the overall package)
Old 27th February 2010, 14:33   #85
BHPian

Thats a great review.GTO and Rehaan..HATS OFF !
The polo sure is a good looking hatch in the same league as the punto as far as looks are concerned.Just have a feeling that it will do well in this market.
Old 27th February 2010, 14:59   #86
BHPian

Excellent Review by GTO and Rehaan. I entirely impressed with the looks of the car and the build quality it had. I knew Germans can never compromise on quality. But it makes me disappointed due to the engine options we have here in India. I think the market rules the engine options and common people won't mind when power comes as far as they are satisfied with the drive quality and FE. It is us the auto enthusiast always gets disappointed when we don't get the European spec engines. I am one of them, my heart went for the Polo's look but my mind says that I should go for Punto which has a nations engine. I was waiting for this review to decide on which diesel to go for after riding the swift for more than 3 years now.

I wanted to convert the white polo to white polo cup car with the Alloys/Lights and the racing strip of Orange/Grey. I really like the look.

GTO can you please compare Polo TDI with that of Swift D and Punto D given a stretch of road or expressway?

Last edited by vrrraju : 27th February 2010 at 15:04. Reason: Forget to add
Old 27th February 2010, 15:01   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
...Also, it appears that the 1.6 got cold feet and is having second thoughts about entering the fray. I hope that its just a case of VW tweaking the car before the launch.
That could be part of the reason -- but i think perception has a big part to play with this.

By not introducing the 1.6 at the moment they are doing two things :
- Keeping the spoken about "price range" for the polo lower (perception of price)
- Keeping the expected FE range lower (perception of FE)

And you know how important price and FE are to the Indian buyer!

Remember how the "Palio's fuel thirsty 1.6 engine" affected sales? VW probably wants to avoid that situation - and especially since they are just starting to build their brand from scratch in the minds of most people here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
August and I shall be seen in the Red Polo petrol (let's hope it's a 1.6)
Great!
To be honest - the Polo appeals to me unlike any other car in the segment. But i wouldn't quite call myself the average Indian buyer. And of course, i wouldn't go near it unless there is something else under the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
And what about the OEM audio ? Is it provided on the top end version only ??
Yes. Highline only.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th February 2010 at 15:06.
Old 27th February 2010, 15:28   #88
BHPian

I do see many people here get carried away by the German Quality. For all you guys, just know one thing is that the car is manufactured in India and I bet that the quality of the Polo built here will be not on par with the Polo's built in Europe. Of course Germans mind quality but try to understand that it is only within Germany where the laws are soo strict that the car manufacturers have to abide by that. I live here in Germany and I know this from my experience. So don't simply go by the saying "German Quality" and use this as a decision to buy the car. The review by our GTO clearly shows that all and it gave me only one message "Keep away from VW Polo". I have been waiting for this car for quite a while and I now find highly dissapointed with it. I'm a big fan of German products, but I can close my eyes and buy them here in Germany but not in India.

This is my personal opinion but others may have something else.
Old 27th February 2010, 15:32   #89
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful work by you 2

Hi GTO & Rehaan

Let me reiterate, this is an excellent piece of work by you to guys & the images are icing on the cake.

Well there are few points that I would like to put across:

1. VW planned the Polo three years back, & just 1 cylinder was removed from the existing engines to get new engines for India. Result, no R&D cost, high fuel efficiency expected & low price. Doesn't that sounds a clever business strategy.

2. The interiors seem in the pictures to be of good taste, the hard plastics will always be an issue. But, aren't we expecting too much in the price band that we are offerred.

3. Polo making a loss of INR80K (as per ET), this could be loss of profit, not actual loss. This loss will be mitigated only when the localisation increases beyond 50% at present.

4. Ride quality has always been European manufacturers strong point. Way ahead of Japanese & Koreans.

5. Good Premium Car for Indian masses, leagues ahead of anything from Maruti (not the engine, but overall). The petrol makes Swift overpriced/ underspec-ed, leave other cars i20 or Jazz (1.2 engine only).

6. OT: How is the i20 diesel compared to diesels from VW, Ford & Fiat? Could you please rank these in order of car superiority? Please exclude anything from Maruti, for the time being.

Congratulations for the good good work
Old 27th February 2010, 16:14   #90
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
i20's is slightly larger at 295L
Correct. I was comparing the Polo more to the Figo, Swift, Ritz, i10 and Vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
valve configuration

Valves per cylinder for both motors-2 or 4?
I believe the Petrol is a 12V DOHC. Will have to check on the diesel and revert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
Hi GTO, I heard the 1.6 is a sedan and not a hatchback.
The sedan's launch is not too far away (look up comments in my review). While the 1.6L engines primary purpose will be the sedan, I'm pretty sure the Polo will benefit from that engine too. As Rehaan commented, right now may not have been the best time to bring that engine considering:

a) Impact on its FE reputation
b) Impact on its VFM reputation

We've seen Fiat take the same route with the Punto (avoiding a 1.6 petrol), Ford with the Figo and now VW with the Polo. I think everyone remembers just what the Palio 1.6 did to the car's reputation. That is, built one amongst the enthusiasts (0.01% of buying population) and killed amongst the mass market (the other 99.99%). Who would you target if you were a car maker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
If a review has comparison of the cars in the segment would take it even higher for team-bhp.
Will consider, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Talking about interiors, I think Punto's look a far more classier (not talking about quality jus pure looks here). VW is too plane jane.
The Polo's interiors are superior overall. The fit & finish are top grade, colours more pleasing to the eyes and the width is substantially more (packaging).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
you keep mentioning the Highline and all I can see ( apart from a couple of pics of the car obviously at the plant) was what looks like a comfortline.
As mentioned in my review, and in later posts, the pool of test drive cars was a mixed bag of variants. We got our hands on the highline only at the plant for some quick pictures.

Quote:
being saddled with what is essentially a generation old engine for the next 3-5 years makes no sense when the manufacturer itself has a cutting edge, excise-friendly, fuel- sipping 1.2 TSI that makes the same power and is available right now!
I agree. VW, in line with its brand equity, should have released the TSI engines. Those would have been game-changers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
I seriously doubt that the ultimate winner will be the Swift with our national engine!!(considering the overall package)
You think a giant like Maruti will be sitting idle? The all-new generation Swift has been spotted testing. India is the largest market for that car, and you can bet it will be tailor-made to our requirements. One of the reasons that the Swift is being outclassed by these newer hatchbacks is that, well, its SIX years old!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrraju View Post
I think the market rules the engine options and common people won't mind when power comes as far as they are satisfied with the drive quality and FE.
So true. The market wants FE + cheap, that's just what they get. The man on the street couldn't care less whether its 3 or 4 cylinders. As long as he gets adequate power with (again) good FE and at a lower price, he's happy. I wish though, that us enthusiasts were also taken care of. Hope the 1.6 comes sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
The interiors seem in the pictures to be of good taste, the hard plastics will always be an issue. But, aren't we expecting too much in the price band that we are offerred.
As mentioned, they are par for the price band & market segment.

Quote:
How is the i20 diesel compared to diesels from VW, Ford & Fiat? Could you please rank these in order of car superiority? Please exclude anything from Maruti, for the time being.
i20 diesel is from another price segment. Amongst the 5.5 lakh rupee hatchbacks, its the Ford 1.4 TDCi > 1.3 MJD National engine > Polo 1.2 D

Last edited by GTO : 27th February 2010 at 16:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks