Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 22:34   #886
BHPian

As of now both Polo and Figo have long waiting period.

Polo - 2 Months for Petrol

Figo - 1 Month for Petrol

Polo is selling because of VW Brand name and Figo is selling because its fully loaded. Both are good vehicles, both are targeted at different segments and would not compete with each other.
Old 8th April 2010, 22:40   #887
Senior - BHPian

Figo is selling primarily because of its pricing. I don't think even the top end variant of Figo is fully loaded.It misses alloys,fog lamps, ACC, adjustable rear headrests, so on. Some potential Polo petrol cusotmers may opt for Figo Diesel considering cost of petrol in places like Bangalore.

Last edited by poloman : 8th April 2010 at 22:43.
Old 8th April 2010, 23:07   #888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Just today only i seated in my friends Diesel Fabia. Ride looked good but my friend was not happy with the car. AC didnt feel good even at 3 speed. Horn is not working & friend said service people are not able to fix it. Rear windows are also having problems. Door handles inside looks really of cheap plastic. I will recommend dont go for it mate
Point taken. Very sad that such a good car is not well supported by dealers. Thanks for the feedback. how does your friend rate Diesel PD engine? Mileage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
@ Chethan: 8.25 !! thats really expensive mate, are you really going to clock hyper miles on it?? at first even I was planning to buy a diesel, but then I calculated my running, it was coming around 1500km per month, so I did not see a justification to spend for diesel and opted for petrol. But prices in Bangalore seem to be sky high, I had received a quotation for 7.5 for Polo diesel HL
I basically like the diesel engine's torque. I plan to keep this car for a very long time. Seen diesel engine's life almost double then that of petrol, I chose diesel. Not concerned about economics right now. I am looking at a car which can last for a long time ( Mechanical, electrical, suspension, engine, etc ).

Anyway, since I have chosen black, Diesel or petrol, delivery date will not change.
Old 8th April 2010, 23:34   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
None is competing with anyone looks like. swift sales are not down but the Figo is over 7K, tell me who got affected? Figo took away Ikon and Punto numbers on the face of things. I20 maybe a little affected but going by the way VW has understocked, may not be the case.initial sales r only cause of the vw badge
there is competition happening and cars are eating into each others territory. Swift, ritz have come up with ABS, airbags, are offering cash discounts. I20 has launched 2 new variants, Punto launched 1.2 with added features, this all reflects the race to stay ahead. VW badge is a factor in sales, and why not, they have earned this respect, it did not pop up overnight, but it is not the only factor, go through complete thread and you would find many more factors which incline in favor of polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei View Post
I test drove the polo in Chennai with 3 people in the car and honestly felt the car was underpowered. This is not from a reference point of higher powered cars. I drive an M800. Please don't jump the gun guys. I'm not saying I find the M800 more powerful. But I do think the polo loses out on the power to weight ratio front. In first gear, I found the polo struggling to transmit the power to the wheels. I drive with a light foot but was surprised to hear the sales rep say that german cars need the throttle to be floored to get some amount of power! Guess the FE goes out the window then.

The sales rep also said that the TD vehicle hadn't been serviced in a long time and was going for continuous tests. I don't know how valid this claim is.

Another major disadvantage at least in Chennai is that the service centers (3 in number I think) are located outside city limits. It will not be possible for a person to take his cars to the service center and wait for the service to complete. I believe they do have a pickup and drop facility for the car but I am definitely not comfortable with handing over my car keys to someone who is going to race the car to the service station which is outside city limits.

Whatever happened to the rumors about using maruti's A.S.S ?
polo has been appreciated for its peppiness all over, even I TD the car with 5 people and AC, didnt get the feel which you are talking about, in fact I was surprised in the way it was pulling. its no race car but its 0-100 sprint in 15 seconds is a respectable feat, considering 19s for Figo and about 17 secs for Punto.

service intervals are @15000kms so visiting a dealer once a year or max. twice should not be a problem I guess.

Last edited by Dippy : 9th April 2010 at 11:48. Reason: Please use multi quote instead of creating back to back posts.
Old 8th April 2010, 23:50   #890
BHPian

I have also booked Polo 1.2 Petrol Highline. I am thinking to cancel this booking and to choose Polo1.2 Diesel Highline but currently no ARAI mileage details are not reveled . I know it will almost cost me 50K more but the price is not the main factor. The car should be reliable , give good mileage and should give good performance. What say guys ? Should i keep this booking as it is or should i go with the diesel one ???
Old 8th April 2010, 23:55   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
As of now both Polo and Figo have long waiting period.

Polo - 2 Months for Petrol

Figo - 1 Month for Petrol

Polo is selling because of VW Brand name and Figo is selling because its fully loaded. Both are good vehicles, both are targeted at different segments and would not compete with each other.
Figo and fully loaded?? well I cannot digest that, missing fog lamps, alloys, rear power windows, lack of tilt adjustment steering, customer will have to load these by unloading their pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
I have also booked Polo 1.2 Petrol Highline. I am thinking to cancel this booking and to choose Polo1.2 Diesel Highline but currently no ARAI mileage details are not reveled . I know it will almost cost me 50K more but the price is not the main factor. The car should be reliable , give good mileage and should give good performance. What say guys ? Should i keep this booking as it is or should i go with the diesel one ???
as from the reviews from auto experts, all have praised polo petrol over polo diesel, the most appreciated was butter smooth gear box and peppy engine which you miss in diesel. Anyways its best left to TD, now you have booked pearl black, so delivery would not happen in may for sure, so you have a chance to TD polo diesel. My advice is dont take a decision in haste, take a TD of polo diesel and then decide which suits you. and when I am saying you , i refer to someone elder in your family no offense

Last edited by Dippy : 9th April 2010 at 11:49. Reason: Please use multi quote instead of creating back to back posts.
Old 9th April 2010, 07:30   #892
BHPian

It's amazing how a test-drive can change perceptions. Last evening, I went down to VW Palace Cross here in Bangalore(which is incidentally sandwiched between a Ford and a Mahindra showroom, all in one huge complex).

There were only 2 cars in the minimalist but elegant showroom. A red Polo Comfortline was the center-piece and a maroon Beetle stood nearby.

A courteous, and more-importantly well-informed sales executive approached me and I expressed an interest for the Highline variant. Immediately, he recommended we take a test drive (I hadn't even intended for one when I went there!!) and off we went in the Highline (My granny, mother and sales exec in tow). It had the additional sports kit and some rather yummy seat covers (which he said cost Rs.6,750).

First things first, the engine is a little noisy. And yes, a tad slow. The surge of power is missing when you want it (Swift baby, I love you). But once on the move, I could really care less about it having 3 cylinders or 4. Cut-throat Bangalore traffic ensures the need for a driveable engine more than a high-revving one. In that respect, no complaints.

Surprisingly, it felt quite cosy compared to the Swift. I think the height has something to do with this. The Polo rides quite low. Even in the short TD that I had, I was amazed by the poise, the ride (exemplary), the snappy gearshift and the sheer quality and simplicity of the vehicle. The audio system stands out for being so intuitive and easy to use. The in-cabin lighting, the instrumentation and switches all feel as if they came from a couple of segments above. If there's one feature I missed and I hope VW incorporate this ASAP, its the electric mirrors, and while they're at it, I hope they make it electrically foldable too.

At the end of the TD, I tried to take in the smaller and significant touches on the vehicle. The typically european 3-stage doors, the skirt moulding which prevents scratches on your paint, the windows which can be closed using the key while standing outside. I know the Punto has some of these features too and I still believe that the Punto makes a better value proposition. And its lovely to drive too (drove one from BU Bhandari, Pune while I was there)

But when you're paying 7L kind of money (which is what the Polo 1.2 Petrol Highline costs in Bangalore), I think the perception of quality does climb a few notches. The Polo ticks all the right boxes in this regard, and I'm glad all my preconceived notions have been put to rest. I went into the showroom expecting to be underwhelmed but I've come out more eager to drive one than before.

P.S. Rs.50,000 booking amount and 3-month waiting period. In red, she looks more stunning than any metal this side of 20L. Pictures don't do any justice to this car.She has to be seen in person to know how beautiful she really is.

Last edited by Pyrotek : 9th April 2010 at 07:32. Reason: mentioned location of dealer
Old 9th April 2010, 08:06   #893
BANNED

@formal_eins : Figo 0-100 time is 19 secs? you are kidding right? or these are the figures that you achieved?
Old 9th April 2010, 09:46   #894
BHPian

Quote:
polo has been appreciated for its peppiness all over, even I TD the car with 5 people and AC, didnt get the feel which you are talking about, in fact I was surprised in the way it was pulling. its no race car but its 0-100 sprint in 15 seconds is a respectable feat, considering 19s for Figo and about 17 secs for Punto.

service intervals are @15000kms so visiting a dealer once a year or max. twice should not be a problem I guess.
I agree , i didnt feel the engine was unpowered, it was pulling significantly in 3rd gear as well.
Old 9th April 2010, 09:51   #895
BHPian

Can anyone advise me if i can get the AC vent chromed in my POLO-CL as well. It looks stunning in POLO-HL. Also suggest if the Under Bonnet cover for sound reduction is available in the [COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Accessories [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]list. Pic - http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/volk...vw_polo_04.jpg
Old 9th April 2010, 11:12   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
@formal_eins : Figo 0-100 time is 19 secs? you are kidding right? or these are the figures that you achieved?
the figures are for Figo TDCi and published in the April edition of Overdrive page no. 109. It is being compared with Ritz diesel. Figo 0-100 19.39s and Ritz 0-100 15.43s so no kidding around mate its a fact and some ownership reports have also expressed the sluggish performance, no offense but its the bitter truth.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:18   #897
BANNED

Quote:
the figures are for Figo TDCi and published in the April edition of Overdrive page no. 109. It is being compared with Ritz diesel. Figo 0-100 19.39s and Ritz 0-100 15.43s so no kidding around mate its a fact and some ownership reports have also expressed the sluggish performance, no offense but its the bitter truth.
Ah the famous overdrive. I wont be surprised if they mention 0-100 for figo as 25 secs. Did you check out the "which auto magazine" thread?

Never trust overdrive man, They absolutely love VW/Skoda & absolutely hate ford, Check out autocar & top gear. Top gear being the most unbiased.

Autocar : Figo TDCi 0-100 = 16.26 secs, how can overdrive be more than 3 secs adrift? I timed my 0-100 on the figo & it was approx 15.5-16.5 secs only, The one sec gap that i have mentioned is to account for various errors.

Top Gear : Data not available

PS- VW/skoda also sponsor the overdrive TV show, maybe thats why.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 9th April 2010 at 11:27.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:38   #898
Senior - BHPian

Polo engine underpowered?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve82 View Post
I agree , i didnt feel the engine was unpowered, it was pulling significantly in 3rd gear as well.

IMO people are reacting to Polo keeping in mind that the engine is 3 cylinder. This is a well engineered VW engine which produces the same power and torque as any other 4 cylinder engine of same capacity (only Jazz engine is better in stats. Polo engine is more peppy/drivable). When the engine capacity is 1200 cc which is the same as any other in this segment, there is no need to suspect power availability. Particularly A/C drag can be forgotten above 1000cc. Noise and refinement can be an issue though.

This has been designed to reduce cost, emission and increase FE. This is not designed particularly for India. Same engines are available worldwide for all Polos and is accepted/working well. IMO if it had any problem, it would not have lived this far.

We have seen Matiz which was a 3 cylinder 800cc engined car. It had power equivalent to zen/santro which was a 1000cc engine.

People upgrading from 1000cc engines will not have a problem. But for guys who are using a higher capacity engine already, will feel that the power is less in Polo, which is obvious. Using the right gear can still be a lot better. Expecting the car (1200cc, 1200kgs) to pull in the 4th gear at 25kmph will be too much. This is like expecting a MT car to behave like a AT car!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 9th April 2010 at 11:43.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:59   #899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Point taken. Very sad that such a good car is not well supported by dealers. Thanks for the feedback. how does your friend rate Diesel PD engine? Mileage?

I basically like the diesel engine's torque. I plan to keep this car for a very long time. Seen diesel engine's life almost double then that of petrol, I chose diesel. Not concerned about economics right now. I am looking at a car which can last for a long time ( Mechanical, electrical, suspension, engine, etc ).

Anyway, since I have chosen black, Diesel or petrol, delivery date will not change.
As per my friend engine is ok & mileage is also good. But overall he is not that satisfied. Also complaining that spares are way to costly. His horn he got repaired for 5k. Also service cost is more
Old 9th April 2010, 12:06   #900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R17 View Post
Would like to disagree on pretty much all counts here and if anything your pointers strengthen what Im trying to convey - No offence intended but your estimation of 10k sales is pretty baseless. I mean, you think it would be easier to "agree if VW managed 10k sales" ... lol... ok, so it would be even easier to agree if VW had managed 15k sales... or 100k for that matter... but the point of relevance is
  • Sales of 5k in 40 odd days from 40 odd dealerships.
  • With literally no coverage in a most of the Tier 2/ Tier 3 cities.
  • For a brand which has just entered India and has no recall value.
  • For a hatchback that is NOT cheap.
  • For a car that hasnt even been fully launched with the diesel launch several months away.
  • And for a car which is openly demanding a waiting period of 3 odd months.
Now lets look at the other side - Ford Figo - 10k sales in a similar time frame from 160 dealers for a car which is at least a lakh cheaper across the range and for a brand which has been in India for many, many years now. Also, both petrol and diesel are available right away and neither are there any waiting issues.

I think it would be very difficult to consider this as an unimpressive debut by any rationale. While I'm not ready to stick my neck out yet and comment on your prediction of 2.5-3k monthly sales for the Polo once the euphoria dies down, I am certain that if the Polo actually manages those numbers, VW would consider it a huge success.
You are confusing me

VW is definitely costly and that has hampered the sales numbers. Also space inside is compromised & engine is not so great. Anyways for your info i read somewhere that VW is looking for more than 120,000 car sales per year. I dont think they will achieve with the response they got in the beginning. Also i dont see tier II & III cities will help much in no of sales as they wont prefer costly hatch. They mainly prefer VFM cheaper hatch. Let time decide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks