Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 11:45   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Regarding the Ads:

They are funny no doubt but are a little short sighted I must say.
Here's what I think of them:
  • Volkswagen assumes that India is full of Rhinos, Cows, Tribals and Bad roads.
  • Even if you can travel 22 kmpl in the jungle, the central locking won't hold the tribals out. Note that he never actually drives 22 kms in the advertisement.
  • Ostrich in India? Challenging a Rhino? Or are they saying that we may say a lot of things but don't try that yourself as it will not work out in your favor.
IMHO, the Polo commercial is a bit odd and upto some extent, insulting also. They are trying to prove that even if a Rhino attacks Polo, the car will be scratchless ?

Why dont they crash the Polo into a truck at high speeds and then boast of safety ? Showing cows on roads and how the car is build to face cows, rhinos, etc. is totally out of place IMO.

I would have appreciated if they gave more details like the 1.2 diesel polo's performance as compared to Swift, Punto, Vista or an efficiency test to against Swift, Vista, Punto. To prove that their vehicle is best for Indian conditions, they need not involve cows and rhinos. Most probably the car will never come face to face with Rhino in its entire life.

How about comparing the cost of service and spares with competition from maruti, hyundai, tata and fiat.

Not the best commercial IMO. Somehow, ego is visible in commercial. Confidence in their hard work and product is good, ego or over confidence is not.
Old 5th May 2010, 12:14   #1157
Senior - BHPian

All ads will have some element of exaggeration. Remember an ad with SX4 challenging a mighty truck on the road. Cruze ads promoting racing on the road. I find Polo ads milder by the above standards.
Old 5th May 2010, 12:26   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I would have appreciated if they gave more details like the 1.2 diesel polo's performance as compared to Swift, Punto, Vista or an efficiency test to against Swift, Vista, Punto. To prove that their vehicle is best for Indian conditions, they need not involve cows and rhinos. Most probably the car will never come face to face with Rhino in its entire life.
To get all those details we have brochures and so many websites.
An ad will become a boring PPT if you talk only about specs.

Remember the most memorable ad of recent times, the 'happydent' ad.
Dramatisation of main features makes an emotional connect with the audience.

My friend's santro had a huge dent caused by a cow which was standing in
a highway median and casually turned. Nothing happened to it, but the santro's rear door got a dent and the lock was jammed as well.

Last edited by Daewood : 5th May 2010 at 12:30.
Old 5th May 2010, 12:55   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Can somebody tell me when the black colour will be available ?
Old 5th May 2010, 13:58   #1160
J.Ravi

VW ad in bad taste

I saw this VW Polo ad in today's The Hindu. Instead of highlighting Polo's plus points, it makes fun of cattle-dominated Indian roads, which is in bad taste, IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-vw.jpg  

Last edited by J.Ravi : 5th May 2010 at 14:00.

Old 5th May 2010, 14:04   #1161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I saw this VW Polo ad in today's The Hindu. Instead of highlighting Polo's plus points, it makes fun of cattle-dominated Indian roads, which is in bad taste, IMO.
Isn't it the truth? Have we lost our sense of homour? Quite frankly I see nothing wrong with it and its purely my opinion
Old 5th May 2010, 14:19   #1162
BHPian

Whacking the rear is definitely in bad taste, at least in the choice of words rather than intent. Can some polo owner confirm if hitting a buffalo would not cause any dent;-;
Old 5th May 2010, 14:45   #1163
RGK
Senior - BHPian

These are innovative ads created by agencies. We should not take it seriously - a different way to attract customers. A healthy buffalo weighs around 1500 - 2000 pounds and I doubt the strength of polo metal if the animal is scratched hard.
Old 5th May 2010, 15:05   #1164
BHPian

humour is used in a big way to promote products in the developed world.
In India we are used to seeing a lot of boring ads where a visual of a car with a long and winding road or a zooming highway with a metallic acronym for their "latest tech engine" has been the max amount of creativity.
With more international players coming in we are bound to see more naughty (AXE-type) and humorous ads.

Last edited by Daewood : 5th May 2010 at 15:16.
Old 5th May 2010, 15:34   #1165
BHPian

I feel all thier Ads are Humorous and simple to understand. They are actually getting the message right and are making people to recall the ad.

Else how many car ads do we actually recall. In my office atleast first time I am hearing many people who are not Auto freaks speaking about this ad.

If you also see the people behind this AD, 99% of them would be Indian's only.

Since German cars are know for thier quality world wide. I feel they are using it as a marketing strategy to assure the quality aspect of VW Polo. Else how many regular people in India would know what is VW all about.

I also feel its a creative Ad and don't see anything offending to India in it.

The Germans have put thier money and technical knowledge but the car is made in India and is managed by Indian's only.
Old 5th May 2010, 15:42   #1166
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
These are innovative ads created by agencies. We should not take it seriously - a different way to attract customers. A healthy buffalo weighs around 1500 - 2000 pounds and I doubt the strength of polo metal if the animal is scratched hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
All ads will have some element of exaggeration. Remember an ad with SX4 challenging a mighty truck on the road. Cruze ads promoting racing on the road. I find Polo ads milder by the above standards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post

Polo & Figo, Both good cars but have pathetic TVCs!

While the polo ad crosses the line b/w humor & stupidity, The figo ads on the other hand are so dull & short that probably it will be noticed by an individual only when he sees it 10 times or so!

Thats just my opinion.
Old 5th May 2010, 16:30   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Can somebody tell me when the black colour will be available ?

I dont know about petrol but for the diesel every dealer will get around 4-5 black color cars in different trims. That's what the SP in VW told me. I have seen Red, Silver and white in my city so far. Why is that they cant manufacture with all colors. Its so absurd !!!
Old 5th May 2010, 16:47   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Polo & Figo, Both good cars but have pathetic TVCs!

While the polo ad crosses the line b/w humor & stupidity, The figo ads on the other hand are so dull & short that probably it will be noticed by an individual only when he sees it 10 times or so!

Thats just my opinion.
Call me perverted, but I think the girl in the Figo ad looks good, so each time I see that ad I forget the product. Can't say the same about the ostrich or the buffalo
Old 5th May 2010, 17:43   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Volkswagen India will ramp up the output of the Polo to clear order backlog, which has now crossed 5,700 units within two months of launch. The company rolled out the hatchback in March and has sold 1,599 units so far, out of a total booking of 7,300 cars. Currently it has a waiting period of up to four months. The company is gradually ramping up production, but not rapidly as, they do not want to compromise on the quality. The company has produced about 1,800 units in the last two months from its facility in Chakan at an average output of 900 cars per month.
Volkswagen To Ramp Up Polo Production
Old 5th May 2010, 18:11   #1170
BHPian

You create an artificial backlog and tom tom that you will clear it - gimme a break - and that polo ad was imho in poor taste

Most Viewed