Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 21:25   #1231
Senior - BHPian

steve82,
congrats on you new car.The way you described the drive while i was reading i was as if drivng the car myslef.Excellent write up buddy.Keep us posted on the car and wish you a very happy and pleasant motoring.
Old 10th May 2010, 22:08   #1232
Distinguished - BHPian

A gear change indicator is (in my ever-humble opinion, of course! ) useless to anybody who can actually drive, except in a car where there is just about no noise to be heard from the engine. Other things would have been much more useful and/or fun. I don't think this adds to the Gadget Value Rating of the car at all
Old 10th May 2010, 22:23   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A gear change indicator is (in my ever-humble opinion, of course! ) useless to anybody who can actually drive, except in a car where there is just about no noise to be heard from the engine. Other things would have been much more useful and/or fun. I don't think this adds to the Gadget Value Rating of the car at all
Well soon we will have tutorial videos as well.. that will add to the learning as well !
Old 10th May 2010, 22:48   #1234
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Steve, finally a non red Polo in Team Bhp. How severe is 'the knee touching the dash' problem on long drives. I also found it a bit uncomfortable.
Would love to get one of those parkers. Was it from the dealer?

Last edited by poloman : 10th May 2010 at 22:55.
Old 11th May 2010, 08:39   #1235
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Steve! Reflex silver looks great. Waiting for more pics in your ownership thread.

140-150 kmph – 3 pot motor effect felt for the 1st time (Swift bags the race here)

IMO it is something to do with the capacity of the engine and the engine itself. Nothing to do with 3 pot or 4 pot.

Pls advise if I should go for a gear lock of the default security is enough, I’ve not opted for central locking as well.. hate that sound.

IMO gear lock will be good. Not sure about default security without central lock/Remote lock. It depends on how confident you feel.

I’ve been told by the VW team not to put SPEED/Xtra mile type fuel… can any1 tell me why??

May be the quality of additives are a suspect. Or may be VW has tuned the engine with regular fuel available. I have tried this on my Spark. I some how feel regular petrol is better.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:33   #1236
BHPian

Congrats Steve well you sure had a big car ceremony at the showroom, I am pleasantly surprised, just guessing what shall my dealer do during the delivery. I think you need to start a separate ownership thread, please post a link once you create the thread. Its very interesting to know that they asked you not to use high octane petrol, maybe you should ask them the reason behind this. Because I always tank-up speed. Good to hear that it does not have run-in period
Old 11th May 2010, 14:54   #1237
BHPian

IMO gear change indicator is a welcome addition, even though it is no rocket science involved but still it adds value, specially for those who shift from petrol cars to diesel cars, during initial run it can prove helpful.
Old 11th May 2010, 15:25   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Congrats Steve, finally a non red Polo in Team Bhp. How severe is 'the knee touching the dash' problem on long drives. I also found it a bit uncomfortable.
Would love to get one of those parkers. Was it from the dealer?
See..to be honest yes it does hurt...and it'll be worse for tall guys. But once you cover a distance u tend to forget but then on highway when you tend to adjust ur seating while driving then it again comes to notice.

The PEN was dealer's initiative .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Congratulations Steve! Reflex silver looks great. Waiting for more pics in your ownership thread.
Thanks CBG... And thanks for the advice as well. I also feel that VW guys doubt about the additives..

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th May 2010 at 16:10. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi (Quote +) instead, Thanks
Old 11th May 2010, 15:57   #1239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
IMO gear lock will be good. Not sure about default security without central lock/Remote lock. It depends on how confident you feel.
I don't think that central locking, in itself, enhances security in any way at all: in the end, the door has a lock, which can be opened with a key, and its resistance to forcing is just the same with or without the motorised option.

If the locking system comes with enhanced immobilisation, alarm, etc --- then that is a security system, of which locking/unlocking is only a part.

As I write, the following words are forming in my mind...

How come any half-decent car would come without central locking?
Old 11th May 2010, 16:15   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think that central locking, in itself, enhances security in any way at all: in the end, the door has a lock, which can be opened with a key, and its resistance to forcing is just the same with or without the motorised option.

If the locking system comes with enhanced immobilisation, alarm, etc --- then that is a security system, of which locking/unlocking is only a part.

As I write, the following words are forming in my mind...

How come any half-decent car would come without central locking?
I've been told by VW team to hold on till they have their own security system acc launch.. expected till june. They are committing a decent range of acc coming up. I think i should hold on till june and not get it done through a local guy.
Old 11th May 2010, 18:54   #1241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree - Definitely not a gadget value addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve82 View Post
Well soon we will have tutorial videos as well.. that will add to the learning as well !
Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
IMO gear change indicator is a welcome addition, even though it is no rocket science involved but still it adds value, specially for those who shift from petrol cars to diesel cars, during initial run it can prove helpful.
In a Petrol car, we change gears at about 3,500 RPM. And in Diesel cars we do it at 2500 RPM. Other than this, there is nothing much their on gear shifting AFAIK. But I love to look at Taco meter once in a while while driving. For Beginners this feature can help.

Friends - Please go through the following thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post1880415
Old 11th May 2010, 19:04   #1242
BHPian

'Tis great to see so many folks jumping on the Polo bandwagon.
Old 11th May 2010, 20:32   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
@Logical - Great FE!

Parking lights can be turned on without keys in many cars. It is the same in my current car - spark also. We have to take care and switch this off separately. This light is generally used during road side parking. Is this the same you mean or something different?
Thanks Chethan,

What I meant was that if you turn on the indicator and remove the keys when the indicator is still blinking the parking light on that side stays illuminated after you remove the keys. There are times when the indicator does not auto switch off due to the position of the steering wheel and in such cases the parking light is likely to stay on. Hope I was able to explain. Not sure if this feature exists in other cars as well.
Old 12th May 2010, 10:09   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Thanks Chethan,

What I meant was that if you turn on the indicator and remove the keys when the indicator is still blinking the parking light on that side stays illuminated after you remove the keys. There are times when the indicator does not auto switch off due to the position of the steering wheel and in such cases the parking light is likely to stay on. Hope I was able to explain. Not sure if this feature exists in other cars as well.
Similar feature - Used for Road side parking on a busy street. But - Does it depend on steering wheel position or the indicator knob position?

Indicator/parking light are purposefully designed not to switch off on these occasions AFAIK.

Khan75@ Good to have you back.
Old 12th May 2010, 13:58   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Similar feature - Used for Road side parking on a busy street. But - Does it depend on steering wheel position or the indicator knob position?

Indicator/parking light are purposefully designed not to switch off on these occasions AFAIK.

Khan75@ Good to have you back.
My bad .Didnt realise it was a common feature. It depends on the indicator knob position.

Most Viewed