Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2010, 18:01   #1381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
Dealer is getting only TL and CL in red and silver. People who booked cars after me are getting deliveries, they have just not received any HL till now. SP said in first week of June they shall get delivery schedule from VW and accordingly update.
They get the delivery schedules on 17th of every month and not in the first week AFAIK. Check out - Dealer in Bangalore had already received delivery schedules till 31st Aug. Crying baby gets the Milk!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash.giri View Post
Chetan,
Can you please provide the number of the GM Bangalore region. My car delivery has been delayed by one month and now SP says one more month!!
I meant GM of Elite Motors and not VW. Best is to meet people in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
I guess there is no use of complaining or fretting over delivery delays. This situation is not going to improve for another 4-5 months MINIMUM, such is the backlog. It all points to something- we are such a starved nation for cars, that we can wait for 1/2 a year to get a car!!! Whenever i see a polo on the road, start to understand the readiness for even such a long wait, but when i see other offerings, feel- whats the big deal!
Poor sales guys- will have to bear the brunt of this, but looking at their commissions, they will not mind. Added to that is the fact, they have people walking in, while the rest have to go out and seek business. The Hyundai guy who i bot the i-10 from,told me, his sales are under pressure for the past 2 months, while the VW showroom i went to last sat, had a cool 30 mins wait for only the TD. The sales folks there were not even bothered to hold me back when i said, its too long and am going!!
With the new versions of the i20 and the new micra, VW may have to step up and not take the customer for granted.
At some point we will have Sales folks getting worried at seeing Polo customers walking in to their place to book the order! Just think about that AP dealer saying that Polo prices will be slashed by 1 lakh by the month of Sept - Good way to hold on to the customers. Half the Janeta would believe it thinking that it will go the Matiz way.

There is really no reason to go behind Polo when you have so many choices today. But the problem is that people get smitten after getting inside Polo and then start believing that they are desperate. Same thing happened to me also.

You might say that the car is high priced, some important features are missing, Turbolag .... etc. But this car is engineered to near perfection. That is what attracts people.

Zen2001 @ I agree with you. This discussion should be shifted to "I booked a car" Thread. With Polo we are worried about delivery than the car itself. In other words - No worries about the Car!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 28th May 2010 at 18:08.
Old 28th May 2010, 23:44   #1382
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry if these points have been mentioned in this thread or elsewhere already. To be honest, it is tiring to read through 92 pages of a thread to see if something has already been mentioned. However, I guess these points may be worth repeating.

1. Classic Euro Style Headlamp Control: This photo on the first page of the thread shows a dial and a stalk-like device on the right side of the dash, just under the AC vent. There is a position 0, then the next probably for fogs and the third I guess is for high beams on the dial and I can see the headlight stalk like device showing a low beam. Are these seriously the headlight controls? What happened to a steering-mounted stalk that can operate the headlights? Does VW expect the drivers to take one hand off the steering, fiddle around with the controls on the dash and operate the headlights? If this is true, and there's no steering-mounted operation for headlights, I must say that's crazy. Extremely unsafe.

2. I see the 1.5 L bottle holder on the door and it gets me wondering. How would you place a 1.5 L bottle in this space? The bottom end goes towards the driver side, and the cap/lid end goes towards the rear seat? If that's the case, how would this work? I am sure a Polo driver will not want to open the door and then get the bottle out to drink. But if the door is closed, you have to remove the bottle upside down. Again you need to put it back upside down. This would not only create a risk of spilling the contents in case the lid were not tightened enough, it's clumsy if you want to grab a quick gulp and put it back.
Old 29th May 2010, 00:48   #1383
Distinguished - BHPian

This from my general knowledge of European (well, British, at least) cars...

Yes, the "dial" to the right, is the light switch; position one for sidelights, position two for headlights. Depending on the make and model, there may be a position three for fog lights, or a pull-on/push-off.

The small wheel on the left adjusts the hight of the headlights to compensate for how the car is loaded not for the driving conditions. The stalk, then, is left with two functions, main-beam/dip when headlights are on, and flash main, whether they are on or off. No, it's not fiddly, although a control in an unfamiliar position always takes some getting used to. Turning the lights on and off is not something one does very much on each journey (the stalk flashes) and the hight adjuster remains untouched for months. Many European drivers probably don't even know what it does!

EDIT... and on the second point...

Something small like that can make a real difference to how someone feels about a car. We need someone to roadtest and report on the bottle holder!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th May 2010 at 00:51.
Old 29th May 2010, 00:52   #1384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This from my general knowledge of European (well, British, at least) cars...

Yes, the "dial" to the right, is the light switch; position one for sidelights, position two for headlights. Depending on the make and model, there may be a position three for fog lights, or a pull-on/push-off.

The small wheel on the left adjusts the hight of the headlights to compensate for how the car is loaded not for the driving conditions. The stalk, then, is left with two functions, main-beam/dip when headlights are on, and flash main, whether they are on or off. No, it's not fiddly, although a control in an unfamiliar position always takes some getting used to. Turning the lights on and off is not something one does very much on each journey (the stalk flashes) and the hight adjuster remains untouched for months. Many European drivers probably don't even know what it does!
OK, I understand the beam height adjuster, it's now a mandatory feature on all Indian cars. But headlight flashing is an essential function on Indian roads. I don't think having two separate controls to operate the headlights is going to go down well with Indian drivers. But then, that's my opinion.
Old 29th May 2010, 01:01   #1385
Distinguished - BHPian

OK... I guess there must even be a headlight adjuster on my Maruti then <Blush> Have to admit I kind-of thought so, but it is away for repair, and I couldn't look.

British drivers flash too --- only we mean the opposite by it! The stalk flashes, regardless of the switch position. It doesn't add hassle to driving.

Quite the opposite, in fact: It may just be that the rotating light control on my Swift stalk is not very stiff, but I find that, after a vigorous flashing session, sometimes I've turned the lights off by accident.

Vigorous flashing session... Hmmm... Let me stress that I am talking about car lights!
Old 29th May 2010, 02:16   #1386
Senior - BHPian

Saw a polo in white today, and I've got to say really clean and classy design! I'm loving it
Wish the ones sold in India came with the european lights though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Vigorous flashing session...

You have to much fun, Mr Ginathom!
Old 29th May 2010, 20:18   #1387
BHPian

Yuppie. Had gone to witness the Polo Cup trials today. Some Pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_0328.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_0331.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-img_0339.jpg  

Old 30th May 2010, 13:02   #1388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantarian View Post
Yuppie. Had gone to witness the Polo Cup trials today. Some Pics below.
Great Picks!

Where there many people watching? How was your experience like?

I left my Spark yesterday at VW dealer (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1912103. Now I am eagerly waiting for Polo. Scheduled to be delivered on Thursday - Hopefully!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 30th May 2010 at 13:09.
Old 30th May 2010, 18:17   #1389
Senior - BHPian

So, Chetan you have left with no backup now? Fortunately I have my trusted 1,50,000 Km Zen always to support me in case of any further delays. I must admit that in terms of driving pleasure it is miles ahead of Polo.
Has the consignment left Pune?

Last edited by poloman : 30th May 2010 at 18:18.
Old 30th May 2010, 18:18   #1390
Senior - BHPian

Poloman@ Delivery is on schedule. I confirmed this before giving my car. Initially it was agreed that I would leave my car on Monday. But I had to be in Shimoga on Monday. So preponed. I have completed all formalities except that I have to give them a NCB certificate of my old car insurance. I will get this done by Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
2. I see the 1.5 L bottle holder on the door and it gets me wondering. How would you place a 1.5 L bottle in this space? The bottom end goes towards the driver side, and the cap/lid end goes towards the rear seat? If that's the case, how would this work? I am sure a Polo driver will not want to open the door and then get the bottle out to drink. But if the door is closed, you have to remove the bottle upside down. Again you need to put it back upside down. This would not only create a risk of spilling the contents in case the lid were not tightened enough, it's clumsy if you want to grab a quick gulp and put it back.
Hope this answers your question.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-water-bottle-1.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-water-bottle-2.jpg  

Last edited by Chethan B G : 30th May 2010 at 18:25.
Old 30th May 2010, 18:23   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Fortunately I have my trusted 1,50,000 Km Zen always to support me in case of any further delays. I must admit that in terms of driving pleasure it is miles ahead of Polo.
Excuse me, but are you saying that the Zen is miles ahead of the Polo in terms of driving pleasure? Thats music, atleast to my ears!
Old 30th May 2010, 18:29   #1392
Senior - BHPian

Zen2001, Yes ! going by pure driving pleasure,No doubt on that, atleast to me. Mine is a 1993 MH410 Zen. This will clear most of the doubts on what I meant. But as an overall package we cannot compare Zen and Polo.
Old 30th May 2010, 18:47   #1393
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
If this is true, and there's no steering-mounted operation for headlights, I must say that's crazy. Extremely unsafe.
It's not unsafe at all. Mercedes Benz (and pretty much every other Euro car maker) use these kind of controls. To "flash your headlamps", simply pull the indicator stalk. The high beam will flash, irrespective of whether the headlamp rotary switch is on or off.
Old 30th May 2010, 21:06   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Great Picks!

Where there many people watching? How was your experience like?

I left my Spark yesterday at VW dealer (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1912103. Now I am eagerly waiting for Polo. Scheduled to be delivered on Thursday - Hopefully!
The trials were the best time to witness the Polo's in action. Went for the finals today, there was so much of rush that couldn't see anything clearly. But the best part were the stunts today and they used the 1.2 Polos for the stunts, and man I am dying to try the same with mine..

With all those bangs and crashes I witnessed, seems like Polo is one well built car.
Old 30th May 2010, 23:11   #1395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantarian View Post
The trials were the best time to witness the Polo's in action. Went for the finals today, there was so much of rush that couldn't see anything clearly. But the best part were the stunts today and they used the 1.2 Polos for the stunts, and man I am dying to try the same with mine..

With all those bangs and crashes I witnessed, seems like Polo is one well built car.
I saw the Polo cup live on Neo Sports today and it was pretty decent, some Polos banged pretty bad but held up and one banged one finished 3rd too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks