Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2010, 01:04   #16
BHPian

Much awaited review is finally here, let me thank GTO before I read.
Old 27th February 2010, 01:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nice review. I have not read it thoroughly BUT whatever bits I read were very informative.

The top end diesel is pricey.
Old 27th February 2010, 01:11   #18
BHPian

GTO & Rehaan, lovely review as always guys.

I found this one a little more detailed than previous reviews and shows a lot of preparation. Truly outstanding, take a bow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
The enthusiasm and spread of VW's dealer network, initial tales of cost of ownership and fuel efficiency will all greatly determine the Polo's future in India.
I was actually expecting VW to make dealership announcements along with the Polo launch to reinforce their mass market aspirations. Sadly this has not come to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMan View Post
The VW Polo : Finally it arrives, but personally for me after reading this it is a disappointing package.
Sadly, I would have to agree that the cars you have reviewed would not "float my boat" in the 1.2L hatchback segment.

The i20 still looks very feature packed compared to the Polo and a lot of buyers will be swayed by just that i.e. features/lakh (no considering A.S.S, reputation etc).

I was surprised a lot by the following points:-
- No deadpedal. C'mon how difficult would it be to have included that?
- Rear legroom very less
- No electric ORVM even on highline
- EPS. Reading the reviews of the pro's in those mags I thought the steering was HPS!

I'm glad VW gave you guys a plant tour. I hope car manufacturers do that on a regular basis here like they do in Europe. It's quite an experience.
Old 27th February 2010, 01:21   #19
oss
BHPian

Wonderful review; it was worth the wait. Congrats guys

The diesel seem to be a write-off already. Figo wins the diesel war hands down. Let us see how the market reacts.
Old 27th February 2010, 01:29   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
On the headlamp, I guess its the same size and fit as that of the European model, and so, it should be fairly easy to source and swap, for those who want a bit of exclusivity
Worthy point there, ITNerd. I see a lot of 1.6 Polos going for this swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
So why should one want to buy a POLO? Is it for the VW tag or is there something that i am missing ?
The looks, build, ride quality, fuel efficiency and neutral handling are plus points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
I was actually expecting VW to make dealership announcements along with the Polo launch to reinforce their mass market aspirations. Sadly this has not come to pass.
Just as Ford did with the 28-dealers-in-24-hours perhaps? Me too. Ford played out a brilliant marketing move there, didn't they.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
The diesel seem to be a write-off already. Figo wins the diesel war hands down. Let us see how the market reacts.
The Figo diesel, in my books, is the best VFM hatchback out there. It's an absolute all-rounder. The Polo diesel simply cannot match the sheer refinement & driveability of that 1.4 TDCi. However, it's a tough call between the petrol Polo & Figo. I'd be tempted to choose a red Polo over the 1.2 Figo.

Last edited by GTO : 27th February 2010 at 01:30.
Old 27th February 2010, 01:31   #21
BHPian

GTO & Rehaan - Thanks a zillion for the comprehensive report on the Polo. It had just enough details for the prospective customer to size up the car. You are improving your review skills with each and every attempt. Kudos to you. Please keep up the good work.

There was a strange sense of emptyness after reading the review. I could feel a lack of enthu in the review. It was as if you went thru the motion. There was something "missing" from the usual GTO's review. Ah, then i realised what the culprit was - the ordinary engines. That's the part your reviews dwell on more and analyse in detail. That is where the passion comes thru. If only VW was giving us the 1.2 TSI, how much more passionate your review would have been!!!

Polo, in all fairness, comes across as just another ordinary car, with ofcourse the highest German quality associated with it. But what use a solid car with mediocre engine?

GTO/Rehaan - I have only query to you: Did VW tell you anything about their plans for the 1.2 TSI and when they will intro it in india??? Do you have ANY insider info on it??

Note: Iam more excited about the 1.2 TSI than the 1.6, coz the 1.2 gives 1.6's performance AND better fuel efficiency. What more can a human being ask for.
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2010, 01:40   #22
Team-BHP Support

A few comments -

- I agree with GTO's thoughts on VW's dealer network and the Polo launch. If you have a mass market car, you need to have a large number of dealers.

- Those rear headrests blocking the view in the rear-view mirror is a big design flaw. Those bikers & cyclistswill be hiding at exactly the same two blindspots on either side.

- The blackened headlamps of the international model looks much better than the plain Indian headlamps.

- To me, the VW Polo in 2010 is what Fiat Palio was in 2003 - different from the lot.

- I read an article in Economic Times that VW will make an average loss of around Rs. 80,000 per car sold in India. What kind of strategy is that?

- I wonder if VW wants to project Skoda as a premium brand and VW as a mass market brand - because of the prestige Skoda brand has gained already.

- Das Auto is fine. We don't need to know its meaning - it just sounds cool & sexy. Just like Vorsprung Durch Technik. German language is a "heavy" language and goes well for taglines.
Old 27th February 2010, 01:42   #23
BHPian

any review of the stereo and the speakers of the polo. so polo also doesnt have steering mounted audio controls

@ gto on driving pleasure alone which is your prefence polo,figo,punto

Last edited by rupinder : 27th February 2010 at 01:44.
Old 27th February 2010, 01:44   #24
BHPian

Wonder full Review Have read though just the first part and it looks good and some great pictures there

Also there is a correction needed in Kerb Weight Figure of i20 Petrol, as it weighs atleast more than 1000kg but in the review it is listed just 985kg. Check it here its stated as 1066kg Hyundai i20 Asta
Old 27th February 2010, 01:45   #25
BHPian

GTO & Rehaan, you guys have done a great job. The review was very thorough.

Just hope that VW launches the 1.6 Polo soon.
Old 27th February 2010, 01:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

How high is the body edge at the rear?

How much do you end up lifting your foot to climb out the rear seats?

A bit more on the ride quality and handling vis-a-vis the Punto and the Fabia would be much appreciated.

Regards.
Old 27th February 2010, 02:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

ahhh at last, was waiting for this review.

after long time a hatch which looks nice, no cab forward or tall boy thing. just love how the car looks now where are the engines to match the looks

Please VW given us some good petrol engine with 100bhp at least.
Old 27th February 2010, 02:22   #28
BHPian

Excellent review again GTO as expected.
Old 27th February 2010, 02:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Great review GTO & Rehaan! You mentioned spotting a 1.6 at the plant, any visibile changes?.. say blackened headlamps? different rims? wider tyres?
Old 27th February 2010, 02:37   #30
BHPian

Thanks GTO and Rehaan for the detailed and honest review. As per me Figo takes the cake in diesel segment at least. Also I feel that italian beauty still remains best when it comes to handling and all practical aspects. May be 1.6 polo can do some justice to the enthusiast and also to make sense for 240 km mark which shows in odometer!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks