Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2010, 11:40   #61
Senior - BHPian

Brillaint review GTO and Rehaan!

Quote:
• 280 liter boot. Figo-like & substantially larger than direct competition
i20's is slightly larger at 295L

Quote:
• Some niceties missing. Climate control, USB / AUX audio input, electric ORVMs etc.
I think VW should have atleast provided this as an Option pack.

Quote:
Open the rear hatch via the VW badge.
I guess this should prevent stealing of monograms.

Quote:
I like the classic meter layout. 2 large dials with the RPM gauge on the left
Do all variants come with speedos hitting max 240kph!!! so much space for tuning

I think the Polo is a benchmark when it comes to build quality. But it fails to impress by the short equipment list especially when the Highline is compared to the Punto E+ and the i20 Asta. I wonder how the Polo's 3 pot motor compares to the Punto 1.4 or i20 1.2?
IMO Punto/i20 is a better buy than the Polo.
Old 27th February 2010, 11:51   #62
BHPian

Wonderful review. This is the second one that I"m reading after the Ford Figo's review by GTO. From my understanding Figo looks more promising and looks like the way to go.
Old 27th February 2010, 11:54   #63
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review, as usual! A very comprehensive one at that, which covers pretty much every attribute of the car.

It looks like VW has got it right this time around. Let us wait and see how the Polo fares.
Old 27th February 2010, 12:01   #64
Senior - BHPian

GTO, 2 more questions:
  • valve configuration of both engines-SOHC or DOHC?
  • Valves per cylinder for both motors-2 or 4?
These facts are not mentioned in the catalogue.
Old 27th February 2010, 12:28   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Ofcourse we do!

Here is the non-power window rear door, and that is the glass wound down as far as it will go.

Attachment 296066

cya
R
Glass wounds only 70 percent down like the figo.
I have to stick my head out of the window to whistle at a babe.
Old 27th February 2010, 12:31   #66
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Iam more excited about the 1.2 TSI than the 1.6, coz the 1.2 gives 1.6's performance AND better fuel efficiency. What more can a human being ask for.
Smart point. Yes, VW themselves are keen on bringing the TSI here, albeit cost is the only current limitation. The hatch segment is very price sensitive. Hopefully, it happens sooner rather than later. In the meanwhile, the 1.6 will do just as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Das Auto is fine. We don't need to know its meaning - it just sounds cool & sexy.
"Cool & sexy" to us. The mass market doesn't care a damn about sexiness when they are looking at their second largest purchase (after a house). What they want is, trust and VFM from an unknown brand. Cool & sexy is perfect for a Prada or Gucci, not a car that aims to park itself into the common man's house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
any review of the stereo and the speakers of the polo.
Sorry, but the petrol & diesel that we drove didn't have the factory stereo. The test cars were a mixed bag of trim levels. It's only at the end of the day, at the VW plant, that we got our hands on a car with OEM audio.

Quote:
@ gto on driving pleasure alone which is your prefence polo,figo,punto
1.2 Petrols = Polo

Diesels = Fun to drive = Punto & Figo are equally matched. The Fiat just feels like a "tijori on wheels" with an outstanding steering. Have yet to experience another like it this side of 10 lakhs. The Figo, on the other hand, is immensely more chuckable, and has more nimble handling. Zero turbolag results in a more tractable engine. Either is stable at speed, though the Punto has the edge.

If & when the Figo, Punto or Polo come with a bigger petrol engine (all are talking of the same), we'll revisit the topic again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safin View Post
Also there is a correction needed in Kerb Weight Figure of i20 Petrol, as it weighs atleast more than 1000kg but in the review it is listed just 985kg. Check it here its stated as 1066kg Hyundai i20 Asta
Thanks. Will have the same double-checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
after long time a hatch which looks nice, no cab forward or tall boy thing. just love how the car looks now where are the engines to match the looks
So true. I'm a big fan of the Polo's styling and have been so since I saw it at the Expo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
You mentioned spotting a 1.6 at the plant, any visibile changes?.. say blackened headlamps? different rims? wider tyres?
Nope, looked exactly the same. T'was a white car. The real difference lies under the hood, does it not?
Old 27th February 2010, 12:38   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In the meanwhile, the 1.6 will do just as well

Hi GTO, I heard the 1.6 is a sedan and not a hatchback. Is that true? Please reply.
Old 27th February 2010, 12:39   #68
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review. Thanks GTO and Rehaan.

My guess is that Polo will have difficult times ahead with the launch of Ford Figo. Let us hope it doesn't go Fabia's way.
Old 27th February 2010, 12:41   #69

A great great review. What comes to mind reading it is that the Indian Polo which has come out will not meet the high expectations people have been resting on it. It has nothing new or rather it lacks the 'wow' factor. No doubt it is a good car but I guess the Figo and Punto will maintain their benchmarks in the segment, particularly the diesel version.
Old 27th February 2010, 12:49   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Glass wounds only 70 percent down like the figo.
I have to stick my head out of the window to whistle at a babe.
Lol...that was hilarious !!
Old 27th February 2010, 12:49   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post

My guess is that Polo will have difficult times ahead with the launch of Ford Figo. Let us hope it doesn't go Fabia's way.
Tough competition, yes. But definetly not the fabia way. This one is priced right from Day1.
Old 27th February 2010, 12:52   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Surely they are not thinking of an autobox on these engines.
Gogi, either the i10 / i20 AT will be a perfect replacement for your Santro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
'Das Auto' is what you see at the railway station. (10 autorickshaws)

Quote:
I think its their policy is to let initial dealers get a good chunk of sales(revenue) before they offer more dealerships. Honda did the same. I remember when we got our OHC in 2001. With only one dealer in town, we were totally under his mercy. No competetion + heavy workload=Poor service.
Excellent insight into the probable reasoning behind VW's strategy. Not too many entrepreneurs willing to invest 15 crores into a dealership today, this would have been just the carrot.

Thanks Mpower.

Quote:
Steering is a disappointment!
You bet. If there's one thing you can count on in European cars, its the steering. The Polo's unit feels like a Hyundais! Super light and zero feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpzone View Post
Is there any way to overcome the issue with door locking mechanism? Any aftermarket solution?
Get an auto-locking Autocop!

Quote:
Did VW mention about the warrany period? any extended warranty offered?
You got me there. Writing to them as I type this post.

Quote:
Was there any info on spare part cost/ cost of ownership, Figo is promoting lot of this.
Usual PR talk. We'll have to wait for actual ownership reviews, though I don't expect the Polo to match a Maruti in service costs. Not by a mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
One question GTO, in start-stop traffic, does the engine (petrol especially) have enough grunt to pull from idle?
As mentioned in my review, the petrol has good driveability. No complaints within the city at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
I gather from your review that

a. The fit & finish is way above Fiat's

b. The cabin looks better than the Punto's plain jane one
Yes & Yes to both your questions. Fit & finish are lightyears ahead of Fiat, and the cabin looks classier as well.

Quote:
Is this the best ride & handling package in the great hatchback war now ?
I wouldn't say that. The Figo and Polo are rather similar in their road manners. The Punto is also way up there in ride quality & stability. However, the Figo & Polo are immensely more chuckable (nimble) than the heavy-feeling Punto.

Most of the European hatchbacks in our market have typically done well on the ride & handling factor.

Quote:
Is the 1.2 Petrol engine better or atleast as good as the Punto 1.4 ?
Absolutely NOT. The Punto's 1.4 is a proper 4 cylinder unit with better refinement & power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Further the Polo brochure says the Highline variant has 185/R14 as spare wheel - is it correct?
Yes, that is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Compared to the 1.2 petrol i 20, how is the 1.2 Polo petrol on
1. Engine, for driveability, with reference to the somewhat weak i 20
The driveability is better on the Polo, a weak bottom end has been the 1.2 Kappa's Achilles heel. No comparo on the refinement though, the i20 comes out on top.

Quote:
Ride on broken and good surfaces. The i 20 is also a little stiff kneed, is the Polo more supple?
The Polo's suspension is perfectly suited to our roads.

Quote:
Steering feel and feedback at speed. Is it as disconnected as the i 20?
The i20 & Polo, both have pretty light disconnected steering wheels. The Punto has the absolute best steering wheel amongst the hatchbacks today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
GTO - Which is better for city driving engine-wise (iam not looking at rear seat space where Vista will always rule) - Vista QJD or Figo TDCI???
Figo TDCi. It's not only better than the Vista, but the best overall amongst hatchbacks. ZERO turbolag + immensely tractable nature.

Last edited by GTO : 27th February 2010 at 12:54.
Old 27th February 2010, 12:56   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic detailed review as always. Great work there guys. I have stopped buying the Auto mags for reviews. Team-bhp reviews are unbiased and top quality.

By the way just a thought. If a review has comparison of the cars in the segment would take it even higher for team-bhp.

Thanks guys
Old 27th February 2010, 12:59   #74
BHPian

@GTO: What about 1.6 highline. Any news on it. There is a rumor that 1.6 is going to be a sedan and not a hatchback? Please tell us more
Old 27th February 2010, 12:59   #75
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review! No wash and wipe even on the highline trim???

Talking about interiors, I think Punto's look a far more classier (not talking about quality jus pure looks here). VW is too plane jane.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 27th February 2010 at 13:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks