Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2010, 17:02   #196
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The price difference between the base Trendline and Comfortline is 50K. For 50K more you get only the following extra:

- body coloured mirrors and door handles
- 60:40 split rear seat
- Rear Parcel tray
- Height adjustable driver's seat
- Rear Power windows

The only big diff is they offer only red and white for Trendline.
I'd say those differences are worth 20K, but we all know what happens to the numbers when you bring in OEM pricing. For shorter drivers, the height adjustable seat is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
question to you guys - do you think it make sense waiting for the 1.6 polo or just buying the 1.4 punto. since there is no concrete news when the 1.6 will come out.
The Punto 1.4 is NOT a hot hatch, its 0 - 100 dash has been timed at 17 odd seconds by ACI. The VW Polo 1.2 is as quick as the Punto 1.4, if not quicker.

If you desire a powerful hatch, best to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
@GTO: Since you've tested the Polo, Figo and also the Honda Jazz, do you think if the Jazz is a better option than the high end variants of the former two?
The Jazz is amongst the best hatchbacks currently on sale, only if price is not a consideration. Bring the price in, and the i20 makes a strong case for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Polo/Fabia's 1.2, 3-potter is horrible! The engine-clatter makes it sound like a diesel and it barely moves!
Totally agree on the poor NVH (as highlit in my review as well). However, I can tell you, it does move for a 1.2 and can easily match a 0 - 100 of 15.xx seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
Why can't we have more legroom rather than a larger boot? I just don't see the need of a huge boot in a hatch. I manage quite well with my Swift's boot.
Bingo! Typical of European cars where rear bench space is not prioritized. The Figo also has surprisingly average rear confines for its wheelbase, as does the Punto.
Old 1st March 2010, 17:05   #197
Senior - BHPian

Maybe there are people like me where cars are single driver or max with copassenger plus we carry a lot of things. So drivers seat space + boot space is the priority over rear seat space
Old 1st March 2010, 17:39   #198
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Im in the market for a diesel hatch. After reading your review, Im in two minds about the polo because I really dont want to end up buying an underpowered car. I have to drive alot on the highways and love doing road trips. I sometimes think my Swift Vxi is underpowered with a full load of people. Would you recommend I go in for the Fabia 1.4 TDi or I20 1.4 Crdi instead?
Since your budget so obviously allows for it, shut your eyes and pick up the i20 CRDi. It's the most powerful diesel hatch currently on sale and is premium in every sense of the word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
IMO it is the diesel that VW should have gone after in this segment but they seem to have missed the bus.
I concur. This is the first (okay, second, after the Skoda Superb) European car where the diesel is unimpressive, and is entirely outshone by the petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Fiat did a Polo 10 years ago in the form of the Palio & it never was a hit. VW need to offer better basic engines.
I don't agree. At the time of launch, the Palio 1.9d was an EXCELLENT diesel engine. Immensely tractable, no turbo = no lag, very robust and decent fuel efficiency too. That 1.9 diesel sure as hell was competent for its time and certainly wasn't lacking, as the Polo 1.2 diesel is today.

Quote:
The point regarding using the gear lever for lateral support is ridiculous.
One hand on the steering, the other on a gear in a tight corner. That's very normal, and will be the case especially when you need a shift change at the start / middle / end of a curve. You will - unintentionally - push the gear lever down in such a situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
It’s a plane jane car for Indian masses!
Me thinks that's exactly what VW wants.

Quote:
I feel rather than Punto 1.2 sales, i20 is more impacted due to more premium like feel VW badge give over Hyundai badge!
I'd differ on that viewpoint. The i20 is very safe in its positioning as a premium top-loaded hatch, backed by a familiar mass market brand + excellent after-sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Any info on service cost, if common parts are going to be cheap or not?
I don't expect them to be too cheap. First, its a Euro and Euros have never matched the Japs / Koreans on cost of ownership. Second, the Polo only has a 50% level of localisation as of today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardul.YamahaF View Post
GTO were these pics clicked on Tuesdays at Pune chakan Plant
On Wednesday, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post
Hello guys...
Somehow I managed to get a testdrive of Indian Polo, and without any doubt the Gearbox and suspension setup are top notch. Event the 3rd Gen Honda city feels cheap in front of this small beauty.

I feel this is THE drivers car. VW please bring 1.2 TSI to India ASAP.
overall this car shows what Das auto means

cheers
Hey, how about sharing a longer report since you've driven the Polo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
IMO Polo should have had 4-cylinder engines, at least to match up with the competition.
Agreed.
Old 1st March 2010, 18:09   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The Punto 1.4 is NOT a hot hatch, its 0 - 100 dash has been timed at 17 odd seconds by ACI. The VW Polo 1.2 is as quick as the Punto 1.4, if not quicker.
well i dont really need a hot hatch but just something to keep a smile on my face even when im not using the accord i.e most in city runs. of course it would probably be the best to wait for the 1.6 and then compare it to the competition. how is the i20 crdi?
Old 1st March 2010, 18:18   #200
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO and Rehaan you guys are amazing. Through TD.

A small suggestion, can we have a benchmark car and then do comparisons after the initial TD as many comments and comparisons to different cars make it tough for a reader to look at the package holistically.

I had driven German spec Polo albeit it was Mark 3.2 with 1.6 liters and I liked the platform and packaging for a college guy who would like to throw the car around corners and also have a German GF with small shopping bags and few 6 packs in the boot.

The Indian mass buyer is most certainly a family man and not the same profile and thus VW I think has gone with the 1.2 lt engine. As an enthusiast I agree with everyone that this is not the complete package. 1.2TSI would have made the car focused for smaller section but given VW all the testing avenues in this world that they do in labs

However, if you think of people trying to get away from the normal Maruti Swift and Hyundai i10 image they will be happy with the economy and quality of the car. Not many people care if their cars are vibrating, Maruti's body rattles and niggles will equalise the 3pot clatter of VW engine. One thing that I distinctly remember of the car I had was the electrical issues with Polo and for that matter with most of their cars. I hope they have improved this aspect.

To conclude, VW has done a good job keeping in mind their German mentality of having everything à la carte. Waiting for either Honda to drop 1L on Jazz or 1.6 on either Figo or Polo.

Cheers!
Old 1st March 2010, 18:32   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The 2DIN audio system is available only in the Highline. That too the HU does not have Aux-in or USB. Most basic HU's now come with USB/Aux in.
Does it look that bad? From GTO's pics it looks pretty ok.
I guess its because the factory HU looks soo good. Aftermarket 'dinchak' HUs will spoil the elegant look of the dash.
Old 1st March 2010, 19:25   #202
Senior - BHPian

@ GTO, Any comparison between Tata's TDi (Vista) and VW's 1.2 TDi? Just the engine please
Old 2nd March 2010, 01:01   #203
BHPian

Thanks GTO and Rehaan for a really good review.I feel getting High End polo doesn't seems to worth when compared to I20 high end.

I think middle might be the best selling one for VW.
Old 2nd March 2010, 01:59   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
Thanks GTO and Rehaan for a really good review.I feel getting High End polo doesn't seems to worth when compared to I20 high end.

I think middle might be the best selling one for VW.
I think it will interesting to know what price hike VW planning for POLO. Hyundau says it hiked all priced including i20 by 2% .

VW will need to stick to their announced prices to keep POLO competitive in market.
Old 2nd March 2010, 09:41   #205
BHPian

Wonderful review guys!! love the way you cover the car end to end!

waiting to to do a TD
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:06   #206

Good Review

Great Review guys!
Polo (petrol) looks like a geat VFM car. Satisfies most things for a common man buyer. Nice looks, decent mieage and pickup and good ride quality and adding to this - a great picing for a European car.
Hope VW also increases its dealership network. I only wish they can keep the cost of ownership slightly lower. That will enable them to acheive their goal of 10% market share in India.
Now waiting to checkout the polo myself. will do so in a week or two.

ps: (wish there were more colour options on the Trendline, but as pointed out a smart move by VW to entice people to go for the Comfortline or highline)
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:53   #207
BHPian

Great Review & Pics.

Red Polo 1.6 looks tempting.

Only car you would emjoy after driving the nuts of a 1.6 Fiat Guzzler.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:25   #208
BHPian

Superb review and RED pic of polo is tempting,i think if VW add ABS and airbag into comfortline and keep the price as same then it makes a good VFM car.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:37   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
Red Polo 1.6 looks tempting.
Volkswagen is not coming out with a 1.6 Hatchback. It is going to be a Sedan. They have not yet released the picture of a 1.6 Sedan yet. Just to give you a taste of what a 1.6 Sedan looks like, I am attaching some picture's.

I have a strong feeling that it is going to look something like Fiat Siena OR probably like Swift Dezire (I am not a fan of this car).

Do you think VW would offer a car that that resembles Jetta for 7 odd lakhs. Very unlikely.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-polo-sedan-spyshot.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-polosedan.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-volkswagenpolo.jpg  

Old 2nd March 2010, 11:50   #210
R17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, I drive a Merc and can tell you that it's an exaggeration. Yes, the Polo is VERY stable at high speed, as Rehaan posted there is some truth in the statement. But comparing to a Merc so blatantly is well............

Best amongst hatchbacks : The Punto, in terms of outright solidity and straight line stability.
@ GTO - Thats an interesting point. I think a lot of people would have assumed that the modern Polo, with its German roots, would trump all the other hatchbacks in terms of straight line stability and outright solidity. However, your initial impression indicates that the Polo, while being a very solid car in its own right, does not match the Punto's "tijori-like" build.

Having driven the Punto (and being completely bowled over by its straight line stability, might I add) I'd still love to drive the Polo back-to-back and assess the differential.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks