Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2010, 23:26   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
IMO the Polo is overpriced for what it offers. The quality may be top-notch, but the basic 3-cylinder petrol engine, cramped interiors and the sparse dealer network makes things worse for VW. When comparing the base versions, the Ritz seem to be a better choice and when comparing high-end versions, the i20 definitely makes more sense. On the contrary, though Figo may not match the quality levels of the Polo, it is a highly-VFM hatch with a good dealer network and surely makes sense for our roads.
See one would *assume* the quality to be top notch, but a definitive answer will only come in the long run. During my small visit to VW showroom I saw the rubber lining on the window had already misaligned on the display vehicle. So I wouldnt just judge the Polo India quality with Polo in EU and give a blanket statement that the car has top notch quality. Cost cutting is evident in the car and quality at best is better than competitors but is no way top notch and leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 8th March 2010, 07:21   #347
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
IMO the Polo is overpriced for what it offers. The quality may be top-notch, but the basic 3-cylinder petrol engine, cramped interiors and the sparse dealer network makes things worse for VW. When comparing the base versions, the Ritz seem to be a better choice and when comparing high-end versions, the i20 definitely makes more sense. On the contrary, though Figo may not match the quality levels of the Polo, it is a highly-VFM hatch with a good dealer network and surely makes sense for our roads.
100% Correct. 6.11 lakh & 5.00 OTR is too much for the ingredients of the Trendline Diesel & Petrol. I think VW did not learnt from the mistakes from Fabia.
VW badge can be a sales booster but not the entire sales in the highly crowded segment.
Old 8th March 2010, 07:22   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
3 pot engine ! Get a life VW !
BTW, 3pot engines are the latest rage internationally. Almost all manufacturers including Mini, Fiat, Peugeot are working on their three cylinder engines. The reasons are as follows

1. significantly lower emissions over a equivalent four cylinder
2. not much lose of power compared to a four cylinder

In developed markets, emissions is a huge consideration. In India things are still not so sophisticated.

Just being a three cylinder does not mean that the engine should be written off.
Old 8th March 2010, 08:06   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
IMO its just the fit and finish of interior stuff like dashboard or the steering column which is slightly bad in case of Punto and same is very good in Polo. Excluding that Punto, may be its petrol or diesel, beats Polo anyday!!!
A colleague owns the bare bones Punto 1.2. The plastics are rubbish. I cannot understand how a car priced at 4.7lac gets such horrible, cheap looking plastic. The pivot point for the front seat reclining mechanism had such horrible plastic covering that it makes me wonder why Fiat bothered putting any at all. It was just hanging off the point it was secured. I have never traveled in a TATA Vista but after doing a lot of peek a boo I sometimes feel this car has way better plastic than a Punto.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:00   #350
BHPian

I liked the fit & finish of the POLO. I found that the doors around the windows are coated with rubber, which i have not noticed in any other car. Does it help in anyways?
Old 8th March 2010, 11:02   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post

Just being a three cylinder does not mean that the engine should be written off.

When daewoo can tune a 3 cylinder engine in Matiz 12 years back and achieve a high level of refinement and decent pickup even VW can do it.

Just keep your hand in idle on the gear lever of Matiz and the 4 cylinder Santro. The Santro lever vibrates wheras there is absolutely no vibrations in the Matiz.

Majority of us have only seen the Polo at the showrooms. Test drives are yet to happen. May be after that opinion about the Polo petrol may change.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:12   #352
Senior - BHPian

had a look at Polo flesh today at VW showroom on the way to Electronics city in Bangalore. I don’t know what kind of showroom is this where the car inside aren’t visible and some are parked outside on ground!

They were unloading from a truck. Nearly 10-15 are parked outside. I was on other side of road, so looking from 100 meters, looked very plain-Jane and boring! Now for me, only +point for this car would be its ride quality and may be mileage. Which I am yet to experience. Some time I will have much closer look again to check if it looks better from near by

Today's Bangalore edition of TOI paper has every page Polo ad with paper cut in Polo shape in every page. This see through hole in every page leads to Polo pic printed on second paper!

I am not sure what VW is trying to convey here? is it like "get ready to have hole in pocket"
Also checked the dealer list in AD, Karnataka has only 3 dealers and all are in Bangalore.

Quote:

A colleague owns the bare bones Punto 1.2. ... I sometimes feel this car has way better plastic than a Punto.
Yes. the Punto plastics are cheap. On top of it they keep this kind of cheap plastic car for TD. One of my manager who owns Palio GTX, went with full enthusiasm to TD Punto and came fully disappointed by plastic and ended up buy a Jazz

Last edited by recshenoy : 8th March 2010 at 11:14.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:44   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Today's Bangalore edition of TOI paper has every page Polo ad with paper cut in Polo shape in every page. This see through hole in every page leads to Polo pic printed on second paper!
Even the Chennai edition has the ad.
TOI has added an extra 16 pages(special news) to ensure that the hole
is placed on top of the main sheets.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:48   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
See one would *assume* the quality to be top notch, but a definitive answer will only come in the long run. During my small visit to VW showroom I saw the rubber lining on the window had already misaligned on the display vehicle. So I wouldnt just judge the Polo India quality with Polo in EU and give a blanket statement that the car has top notch quality. Cost cutting is evident in the car and quality at best is better than competitors but is no way top notch and leaves a lot to be desired.
Dude this thing should be unbeatable! say Tata to the rest! I am talking about the interiorts. India needs good interiored cars!
Old 8th March 2010, 12:41   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
Dude this thing should be unbeatable! say Tata to the rest! I am talking about the interiorts. India needs good interiored cars!
If that's the reason , I20 would have found way more homes than swift !

Interior is not the only thing which we want. There are many things like Peppiness , Handling , Features , Solidity , Ride Quality , Plastics (interior) ,Price, A.S.S. and Brand value. The fact is, for different people the stress will be on different parameters and that's why there are so many different type of cars we see on road even though some of them are bashed everywhere for some or other reason.
Old 8th March 2010, 12:53   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcrawler View Post
If that's the reason , I20 would have found way more homes than swift !
For its price, i20 finds approx 4k homes each month, not bad when its priced way above swift. just think if it was priced 10k more than swift what would have happened. Both are in different segments so not an apple to apple comparison.

its seriously off topic so lets not stretch it further.

Last edited by chevelle : 8th March 2010 at 12:58.
Old 8th March 2010, 14:25   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
Does anyone here have the on-road pune price quote for the Polo?
Here you go. Prices as on 08-03-10
Attached Files
File Type: xls Polo Price list.xls (31.0 KB, 682 views)
Old 8th March 2010, 14:59   #358
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Got an info that Polo had completed 300 bookings in chennai as of today i.e even before the TD.
Old 8th March 2010, 15:32   #359
BHPian

Great review GTO/Rehaan!

The car is typical german.There was good rush in showroom as expected.People were asking some questions how do I engage reverse gear??How to open the hatch(by pressing VV badge was a secret for many!)

I found this car good however the less legspace at the rear really turned me away.Also,it is typical 4 seater and not 5 seater,I felt personally.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:45   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Completely agree. The car is simply over priced.
Trendline Petrol is selling 9K lesser than similar SWIFT and 30K more than an i10,( Hyundai i20 Magna vs Hyundai i10 Magna 1.2 vs Maruti Suzuki Swift 1.2 VXi BS IV vs Volkswagen Polo 1.2L Trendline (P) | Car Comparisons - CarWale.com ) would you still say it is overpriced?

I think it is unfair to judge POLO based on the top end price, Diesel sound expensive, but if they can achieve 23+ milege, that will be different storey

Last edited by hpzone : 8th March 2010 at 16:50.

Most Viewed