Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 09:22   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO the looks rankings would be Punto, Polo, i20 and the swift.

But the diesel pricing is on the higher side for the features that Polo boasts off. I guess VW is betting on high margin low volume game for the diesel.

Lets wait and watch how the it performs on the sales charts
Old 10th March 2010, 10:21   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpzone View Post
Now responding to this VW has increased prices by 10000
Seriously?

I don't think the Polo and Figo are competitors directly (Check out the comparison sheets in the Figo TD thread-Even Ford is not bringing Polo to the picture). BUT there's a HUGE price difference between the respective diesel variants of Figo and Polo. Does the Polo offer the customer enough to justify this price difference?

The reply that Polo is B+ and Figo is B wouldn't cut ice.
Old 10th March 2010, 10:25   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A house is on bet for the fact that " Polo is the best looking hatch in country and most of us will agree on this " which you can hear in the road test video.

Do we all agree or at least most of us ?

IMO, it's Punto closely followed by i20 and then comes Polo.
IMHO, its Punto > Polo > Beat > i20

for me i20 looks boring, only a H badge on bland front!

one of my auto enthu friends TD-ed Polo on Sunday. I met him yesterday and asked how is Polo. He said "BIG "NO THANKS" to VW , i drove petrol and is very crap" then i asked about interior and exterior, he said "if the engine which drives car is crap then what to do with interior"
Old 10th March 2010, 10:35   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
However, the Polos that we inspected the rear windows rolled down completely. Regardless, would ask my friend to have this checked again.
Check Post #11 in the first page of this thread - that pic is my source of info. Hope it is of some use.

And, please do remember to let us know if it does roll down completely.
Old 10th March 2010, 10:42   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
IMHO, its Punto > Polo > Beat > i20

for me i20 looks boring, only a H badge on bland front!

one of my auto enthu friends TD-ed Polo on Sunday. I met him yesterday and asked how is Polo. He said "BIG "NO THANKS" to VW , i drove petrol and is very crap" then i asked about interior and exterior, he said "if the engine which drives car is crap then what to do with interior"
May be the engine is not that bad but to me the overall offering is not that appealing.

When we are buying a car the parameters like Engine, interior Quality, space, ride , build, price , features and A.S.S. are the factors when choosing a particular car. Now the problem is Polo leaves a question mark in multiple parameters like -

Engine ? , price ? ( common VW you can't charge 6.8L + for a car with 3 pot engine ) , space ?, A.S.S. ? ,features ? . So although there are few parameters where Polo scores high at the same time few of them are pretty low.

While buying a car we can probably compromise on one or two parameters but not so many parameters
Old 10th March 2010, 10:45   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Seriously?

I don't think the Polo and Figo are competitors directly (Check out the comparison sheets in the Figo TD thread-Even Ford is not bringing Polo to the picture). BUT there's a HUGE price difference between the respective diesel variants of Figo and Polo. Does the Polo offer the customer enough to justify this price difference?

The Polo and Figo are in the same segment in terms of dimensions.
The fact remains that after the Figo, the Polo doesn't offer the consumer any more than a VW badge in comparison to the Figo, which is more spacious, and much cheaper!
Old 10th March 2010, 11:53   #397
BHPian

The Polo disappointed in that it has the turn indicator switch on the left side of the steering wheel. VW took the European steering stalk and planted it on the right side. What is the case with the Figo - does it also have the turn switch on the left like all the other Fords?
Old 10th March 2010, 11:55   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The Polo and Figo are in the same segment in terms of dimensions.
The fact remains that after the Figo, the Polo doesn't offer the consumer any more than a VW badge in comparison to the Figo, which is more spacious, and much cheaper!
VW Polo: 3970 x 1682 x 1453
Ford Figo:3795 x 1680 x 1427

The Polo is bigger dimensionally in every sense.

The Ford Figo dimensionally competes with Swift, Ritz, Aveo, Palio and Indica Vista

The VW Polo dimensionally competes with GP, Jazz, i20, and Fabia

Hope this clears the confusion once and for all.

Last edited by Trapezio : 10th March 2010 at 12:03.
Old 10th March 2010, 12:09   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwas View Post
The Polo disappointed in that it has the turn indicator switch on the left side of the steering wheel. VW took the European steering stalk and planted it on the right side. What is the case with the Figo - does it also have the turn switch on the left like all the other Fords?
This is just a matter of getting used to it. Once you gets used to it(2 days of driving) you will not even notice.
Old 10th March 2010, 13:30   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Seriously?

Wouldnt cut ice with you, and you are not entitled to buy it.

However comparing global platform based Polo to a made for India platform of Figo is like comparing apples with oranges. Polo's fit and finish, interiors, build is miles ahead of the dated looks of Figo. Figo's looks are at best average and the interiors remind you of the by gone era and can be best compared to Estillo. I am not even comparing the FE, engines and the brand premium that VW badge commands over Ford.

Ford has done a clever job with pricing only by bringing in an old car based on Fiesta's earlier platform in a new avtaar that shares parts from cars dating back to Ikon and Fusion. Its a new car but it already looks 5 years old. It would have been sucidal to price it anywhere near 4 lakhs for petrol and 5 lakhs for diesel for entry level, Ford knows it, and therefore priced it accordingly.

Its now a good upgrade for those considering Santro, Wagon-R to have a look at Figo (get a much bigger car). It would be interesting to see how Figo's sales compare to that of Beat Petrol and whether it would be able to carve out a space for itself in an already crowded B segment.
Old 10th March 2010, 13:45   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post

However comparing global platform based Polo to a made for India platform of Figo is like comparing apples with oranges. Polo's fit and finish, interiors, build is miles ahead of the dated looks of Figo. Figo's looks are at best average and the interiors remind you of the by gone era and can be best compared to Estillo. I am not even comparing the FE, engines and the brand premium that VW badge commands over Ford.

Its now a good upgrade for those considering Santro, Wagon-R to have a look at Figo (get a much bigger car). It would be interesting to see how Figo's sales compare to that of Beat Petrol and whether it would be able to carve out a space for itself in an already crowded B segment.
I agree the Polo might be(I have not seen it yet.Knowledge is only from reviews+pictures) better than Figo in aspects like build quality, interior quality and marginally better in handling etc,. Sure it will have a segment of buyers and the price too can be justified for these positives. "The best engine" is not in the top of priority for every car buyers. But look wise, I would say both are in the same league-understated look which would appeal to wide range of audience. Polo is not a stunner like Punto.

In you above comparison you are comparing interior and fit and finish of Polo to looks for Figo. Did you really mean that?
Old 10th March 2010, 14:07   #402
Senior - BHPian

There is a VW stall at my office today and I just had a look at the Polo for the first time. The car looks fantastic on the outside. The punto just lost the 'best looking hatch' title as far as I am concerned. I was happy to see that it does not have weird 'frog eyes' like headlights.

The interiors were a big letdown though. It does not look like a 'global platform' as aseem puts it. It reeks of cost cutting. I have not seen the Figo, but if it has Fiesta like interiors, the Figo's interiors can be considered better overall.

aseem: The Polo interiors actually reminded me of Maruti. And as far as brand value of VW in India is concerned, it is pretty near to zero. Let's discuss VW vs. Ford brand value a couple of years from now.
Old 10th March 2010, 14:12   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdrive View Post
I agree the Polo might be(I have not seen it yet.Knowledge is only from reviews+pictures) better than Figo in aspects like build quality, interior quality and marginally better in handling etc,. Sure it will have a segment of buyers and the price too can be justified for these positives. "The best engine" is not in the top of priority for every car buyers. But look wise, I would say both are in the same league-understated look which would appeal to wide range of audience. Polo is not a stunner like Punto.

In you above comparison you are comparing interior and fit and finish of Polo to looks for Figo. Did you really mean that?
  1. You have not even seen the Polo and Figo (I am assuming) and you have made a statement that they are both in the same league (understated look). Thats a sweeping statement to make considering you havent even seen both the cars in person.
  2. Going by your criteria we can put Estillo in the comparison as well. Estillo doesnt look like Punto, and has understated looks. If an understated looks is the criteria than lets put in Estillo. Size wise Estillo < Figo < Polo. But Estillo too has a K-Series engine putting in serious performance and can hold its own in a 0-100 dash against Figo.
  3. Without driving the cars you state that Polo handles marginally better than Figo. Are we basing these things on fact or our assumptions made in thin air.
  4. Is there a value attached to giving solid build quality? contemprory interiors? Or is size the only criteria?
  5. Does a dated Getz with 1.3 ltr engine command the same price as a i20 with 1.2 ltr engine?
All cars are in different segment aimed at different customers. Figo is for the value concious who wants a big car at a slight premium to Santro Wagon R price. Polo is aimed at the brand concious buyer who wants a premium hatch. There is overlap no doubt, as the top model of Santro/A-Star might compete with Mid Figo, and Mid Figo may compete with entry-level Polo as the segment is tight so its bound to happen. Price, Size or BHP is not the only criteria, its not that simple. There arae values attached to quality of materials used, dated vs contemprory interiors and looks, brand, A.S.S. to name a few. When you do look at these cars in person you would feel the difference in every minor detail.
Old 10th March 2010, 14:21   #404
BHPian

Quote:
  1. You have not even seen the Polo and Figo (I am assuming) and you have made a statement that they are both in the same league (understated look). Thats a sweeping statement to make considering you havent even seen both the cars in person.
  2. Going by your criteria we can put Estillo in the comparison as well. Estillo doesnt look like Punto, and has understated looks. If an understated looks is the criteria than lets put in Estillo. Size wise Estillo < Figo < Polo. But Estillo too has a K-Series engine putting in serious performance and can hold its own in a 0-100 dash against Figo.
  3. Without driving the cars you state that Polo handles marginally better than Figo. Are we basing these things on fact or our assumptions made in thin air.
  4. Is there a value attached to giving solid build quality? contemprory interiors? Or is size the only criteria?
  5. Does a dated Getz with 1.3 ltr engine command the same price as a i20 with 1.2 ltr engine?
All cars are in different segment aimed at different customers. Figo is for the value concious who wants a big car at a slight premium to Santro Wagon R price. Polo is aimed at the brand concious buyer who wants a premium hatch. There is overlap no doubt, as the top model of Santro/A-Star might compete with Mid Figo, and Mid Figo may compete with entry-level Polo as the segment is tight so its bound to happen. Price, Size or BHP is not the only criteria, its not that simple. There arae values attached to quality of materials used, dated vs contemprory interiors and looks, brand, A.S.S. to name a few. When you do look at these cars in person you would feel the difference in every minor detail.

Hi Aseem: I did see Figo in person. My view on Polo was based on the pictures(on the looks) and GTO's review(ride ,handling etc,.). But after above comment from Gilead who says that its a stunner, I will have to take my comment back . BTW, I liked looks of Polo (from picture) from the beginning. In picture it looks elegant without any funky design which is to my liking. Same as Figo too.

I completely agree with your points on Polo being priced like what it is priced now. If you see my previous comment, I did mention that price for Polo is justifiable for it build, handling and fit and finish etc and sure it will find a segment of buyers.

My comment on Figo handling was based on my driving exp with the other 2 Ford cars I have.They have that Fun-to-drive DNA in them.

There will be clear segmentation in the buyers of Figo and Polo with some extent of Overlap.
Old 10th March 2010, 14:23   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not even comparing the FE, engines and the brand premium that VW badge commands over Ford.
What exactly is the engine premium a 1.2L 3 pot deisel Polo commands over a 1.4L TDCi Figo?

Here's from GTO in the beginning of the thread...
Quote:
The diesel sounds crude in an old school way, including at regular city speeds. Ford's 1.4 TDCi Figo remains the class-topper in the 5 lakh segment when it comes to driveability and refinement.
Brand is subjective. The only credit that VW has in India is that it is a German car. SO far Jetta/Passat has been nothing but big duds in our market.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 10th March 2010 at 14:26.

Most Viewed