Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2010, 16:09   #586
BHPian

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Nice!

You are on fire boss! Awaiting the report. Petrol or Diesel?
Petrol. As recshenoy mentioned earlier, the diesel shall be available from May onward.
Plus, according to the stealership around here, the petrol powered Polo is available only in red, white and silver. Blue, Black and Grey are supposed to be launched on the diesel variants to start with.
OTD price: 635,000 for the highline variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Congratulations Khan, You already have a red Punto so what made you buy another car from the same segment?
The Punto was proving to be a bit of pain in city traffic and after driving the Polo, it does feel like trying to drive an elephant, plus the mileage has gone down considerably over the past 6-8 weeks. It's bloody hot in Delhi these days (>35C) so the A/C coupled with city driving is giving me a measly 11kpl. Although it's early days, the Polo is giving me a pretty decent 15kpl. That said, the Punto does look a lot better, handles better at highway speeds and is a wee bit more comfortable with all the additional gizmos (auto AC, steering controls, electrical RVMs etc.) and will be my preferred car during weekend drives and night outs.
I was almost sold on a City (current gen) but parking is such a pain in most parts of Delhi that I decided to stick with a smaller car. Plus, I drive all my cars myself and don't really need back seats so as long as the front seats are comfortable (irrespective of the car), I'm a happy customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
should be Petrol, diesel isn’t out yet and will be available only in May

Congrats Khan75. Awaiting Punto/Polo comparison
I haven't had the time to indite my thoughts yet. Plus, the Punto is in a horrid shape right now, thanks to all the bird poo, brake dust and other anti-beauty agents. Nothing that a good hand of soap, claybar and carnauba wax can't solve though.

Last edited by khan75 : 17th March 2010 at 16:21.
Old 17th March 2010, 16:37   #587
BHPian

After the pricing announcement and the comparison of features with other cars, Polo had already moved to the back of my prefered cars' list. Nevertheless, I was waiting for a TD before taking a final call.

With the (un)kind of response from the dealer here and superb response from the dealers of other brands I decided to chuck the Polo out of my list

In the past two days, I test drove 1) Figo Petrol & Diesel 2) Fiesta Diesel 3) Ritz Petrol & Diesel 4) i10 Petrol - and learnt two important lessons.
  • Never buy without a Test Drive.
  • Petrol engines, all said and done, are more to my liking (smoother, quieter and more powerful)
Before TD and after reading all the posts here, I was almost sold on the Figo Diesel. Now, I'm not considering Diesel vehicles at all.

My findings of the vehicles that I Test Drove.
Found the Figo Diesel to be noisy and prefer the Ritz Diesel to the Figo Diesel
Found Ritz petrol even better than the Ritz diesel and the Hyundai i10 (petrol)

Will be waiting to drive the i20, chevy beat and Grande Punto before taking a final call.
Old 18th March 2010, 00:32   #588
Senior - BHPian

@Soundmaniac

The K12M is in a different league as compared to the other 1.2s in the market. The Polo and Figo mills are nice and throaty at higher revs but poor at refinement at lower revs.
The Beat's mill stands out with regards to refinement at idle and lower revs.

Being curious here, what are the parameters against which you are judging the cars?

Regards.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:06   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Here you go. Prices as on 08-03-10
Can someone please repost this attachment ? I am unable to open it.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:37   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Can someone please repost this attachment ? I am unable to open it.
Here you go. In case you aren't able to open the attached document, I've uploaded it to a 3rd party file hosting service as well: Zippyshare
Attached Files
File Type: xls VW Polo price sheet.xls (25.0 KB, 607 views)

Last edited by khan75 : 18th March 2010 at 12:39.
Old 18th March 2010, 14:21   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
Here you go. In case you aren't able to open the attached document, I've uploaded it to a 3rd party file hosting service as well: Zippyshare
Thanks a bunch Khan, dunno why the earlier attachment was being opened as a .gif for me.
Old 18th March 2010, 14:43   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
@Soundmaniac

Being curious here, what are the parameters against which you are judging the cars?

Regards.
No specific parameters...just going by my feel in the drive.

Took lengthy test drives and did the driving on same stretch of road (freeway, bumps, potholes) for ritz & figo. Managed to do a break test also - brought the vehicles to screeching halt from 80+ speed! (Figo was better on this count)

My parameter is "which vehicle I enjoyed more while driving..."
Old 18th March 2010, 22:50   #593
BHPian

Drove the VW Polo (P) and also the Ford Figo (Both D & P) today.

VW's 3 cyl engine, acceleration, handling, fit & finish, paint quality was too impressive and rear seat horrible and thats the only drawback.

Both Figo and VW are ready to kill the competition at their price points, if only customers make informed decision.
Old 19th March 2010, 11:13   #594
BHPian

Polo rear seat space

I heard a lot of rear set space of polo, most of them comment that rear space is cramped. But when I personally went to TD polo it didnt seem to be cramped. Now it depends what parameters are used to compare the rear space. Polo has a very long front seat travel, so if you keep the front seats on their maximum travel, offcourse I will agree that rear seat is cramped, so is true for all other cars in this segment. But what about settings of front seat after make driving position adjustments?? I am 5"10 and after I adjusted my driving position, I went back to see that the rear seat is not horrific as most of people comment, I could say it is more or less the same compared to other hatchbacks (Vista scores though). So people if you are commenting about rear legroom please do specify how do you arrived to that conclusion it would help us.
Old 19th March 2010, 11:25   #595
Senior - BHPian

Today i saw a silver color Polo again & White color Figo for the first time on the road. Polo looks just ordinary, specially from back. Nothing special or appealing there. Also review suggests it is not great in any area like looks, space, engine, power, FE etc. Also the pricing is little overpriced compared to latest launched Beat & Figo. Instead Figo which i saw looks much better & bigger than Polo. Frankly speaking i liked it & is better than Polo in looks though it resembles like Fusion.

We have to consider Indian market where they are going to sell. I guess Polo will go Fabia, Jazz way (better than fabia though). Initial few months it will sell a bit but afterwords it will settle to 1000-1500 units per month only. Similarly Jazz is also good car but its a major flop for Honda in India due to its over pricing. Indian people are very price sensitive, when they are getting bigger & better cars in less price, i don't see many people will buy Polo just for VW brand. I guess considering Polo's specs, it is approximately costly by 80K to 1 Lac

Lets see how market reacts ...
Old 19th March 2010, 11:59   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Today i saw a silver color Polo again & White color Figo for the first time on the road. Polo looks just ordinary, specially from back. Nothing special or appealing there. Also review suggests it is not great in any area like looks, space, engine, power, FE etc. Also the pricing is little overpriced compared to latest launched Beat & Figo. Instead Figo which i saw looks much better & bigger than Polo. Frankly speaking i liked it & is better than Polo in looks though it resembles like Fusion.

We have to consider Indian market where they are going to sell. I guess Polo will go Fabia, Jazz way (better than fabia though). Initial few months it will sell a bit but afterwords it will settle to 1000-1500 units per month only. Similarly Jazz is also good car but its a major flop for Honda in India due to its over pricing. Indian people are very price sensitive, when they are getting bigger & better cars in less price, i don't see many people will buy Polo just for VW brand. I guess considering Polo's specs, it is approximately costly by 80K to 1 Lac

Lets see how market reacts ...
I respect you individual opinion, but polo has received applauds from everywhere for its straight edge, aggressive styling, a design style which wont look old even for years to come. FE of polo is best in its class, topping at 17.1 Kmpl for petrol. It is neither exorbitantly priced like jazz nor in the price league of Fabia. As for Figo is considered, its non-exciting design has been criticized and already looks old.

I think VW never wanted to compete with swifts or ritz or cars in that price range. Probably they are looking for classes among the masses, for people who want snob value, good ride, handling, quality and ready to pay a premium and compromise a bit on features.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:10   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
I respect you individual opinion, but polo has received applauds from everywhere for its straight edge, aggressive styling, a design style which wont look old even for years to come. FE of polo is best in its class, topping at 17.1 Kmpl for petrol. It is neither exorbitantly priced like jazz nor in the price league of Fabia. As for Figo is considered, its non-exciting design has been criticized and already looks old.
Completely agree with your views about the Figo (it looks like a Russian Lada from the 1980s) but I certainly wouldn't call the Polo as "aggressively styled". I've looked at mine parked in a huge parking lot and it doesn't stand out of the pack as say, a Punto would. It lacks the flair but makes up for it with a German zaz.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:28   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The three-cylinder 1.2L (1198 cc) petrol makes the entry level variant, not only in India, but worldwide.
Hey are you sure about this? All the other VW sites list 1.4 4-cyl as entry level variant.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:35   #599
BHPian

+1 to formel_eins .

I think we are just seeing the prices of the vehicle at the topend and comparing it with other hatches and coming to a conclusion . I definitely agree that the pricing of the top end variant with 15 inch tyres and alloys ( the best looking in any Hatch - atleast for me ) + rear defogger /wiper + music system ( not that great ) , ABS and Airbags , offered at 1L above the comfortline doesnt make much sense / justification .If it was atleast 20-25 K lesser than the current price , there wouldnt have been all these criticism against the polo .

But having said that we should not forget the fact that the lowest variant petrol is being offered at 4,34 and diesel at 5.4 ex showroom . They do have tilt and rake adjustable steering wheel with front power windows ! The pricing is quite comparable with Ritz / Swift for the features offered in those variants . And I think none of us would have a difference in opinion with the quality of plastics and the feel that the interiors give .

Comfortline , it do have height adjustable seat , all power windows split rear seat added to Trend Line features with almost 40 K extra ( pardon me if i have missed out any ) .
The tyres that are offered are decent looking 14 inch Appolo acceleres and not like those thin tyres in Ritz / Swift .

Coming to the rear seat , yes its not the best in class , and there is a raised floor at the middle of the rear seat similar to those rear drive cars .
But yea if we compare with Swift / Ritz its almost the same if not better !

If we look at Ford figo from a critics point of view , well it doesnt have power windows at the rear even for the topend variant , doesnt have rear headrest , doesnt have alloys , the tyres are 14inch , no steering adjustment , for tall guys reaching the gear lever would be a problem . The Seat rails are exposed , the door opener from inside feel so brittle . Door shuts with a irritating noise !!

I am not offending any ford owners / figo customers , but trying to look at different vehicles with a critics eye !

Well I think we are carried away with the High line pricing and may be not giving the required respect to what all offered in the other variants .
In the end , its mostly a compromise of one thing over other , no matter which ever vehicle one ends up with .

cheers
Old 19th March 2010, 12:53   #600
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Hey are you sure about this? All the other VW sites list 1.4 4-cyl as entry level variant.
It's called the Polo Bluemotion in Europe/Germany. It has this same new 1.2L CRDi engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks