Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2010, 11:39   #1741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaro123 View Post
The back engraved of POLO petrol variant got modified, check the pic. Also some of the pics of the accessories offered from VW. Kenwood 2-din system blend well with the car and it looks good when installed. But it costs more than 20k with two front speakers.
Congrats Subaro123 on your Polo.
Have you installed any of these kenwood systems. How is the sound quality for the 4 speakers in the pics. These are the same sets that is supplied by VW Pune as well, yet to hear the sound. I am told that the Kenwood`s comes with 4 speaker and prices inclusive of installation charges. May be you can confirm with your dealer once more.
Old 18th July 2010, 11:40   #1742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Good to hear this from a Polo critic.

I prefer the old minimalist engravings. VOLKSWAGEN looks too long and spread out. What has happened to TDI logo on Diesel Polo now?
+1. New one spoils the look! Should be removable, since they are only stuck.

It is VOLKSWAGEN on the left. Polo & Tdi on the right, one below the other.
Old 18th July 2010, 11:55   #1743
Distinguished - BHPian

I think i is really not relevant to sy that the engine cannot be heard with music playing. These things should be assessed with no other noises. We might just as well say you wouldn't notice it if arguing with your passenger!

Most of my driving is done without ICE accompaniment. In fact, in my current car 100% is. No ice!

There is a navigation system listed on the website optional extras page. Does anybody know anything about this?

I don't like the "VOLKSWAGEN" either... but I guess they figured that not many people here know what "VW" stands for!
Old 18th July 2010, 12:01   #1744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Even in my five-minute look, I found that the seat goes back so far that I can no longer floor the clutch and brake --- so I guess it must cater for the long-legged driver!
This car is definitely smaller inside than my Palio. I was driving alongside one the other night, and its tiny by comparison. I have been inside a Polo twice too, and @ 6'2", the rear leg room is a joke for whoever is going to be unlucky enough to get back in there behind me. I cannot flail my arms around as much inside as in my Palio either.

We have to keep in mind that the Europeans build superminis for one or two people to use, not to cart around the family and the outlaws. The seat adjustment all the way back caters to that.

As far as the navigation system goes, its a regular MapMyIndia driven external unit branded as VW. I think it was a Garmin that i saw at VW goa. Not too sure. Doesn't matter, as you have to stick this on your dash or windscreen. So much for that! (If you look at the pics earlier in this thread on the headunits and speakers, you can see a box for one on the shelf in the background)

Last edited by crackingride : 18th July 2010 at 12:08.
Old 18th July 2010, 13:10   #1745
Senior - BHPian

Question to Polo owners and prospective owners, is there any way to get a remote lock fitted in the Polo if I buy the Trendline/Highline either as a company accessory or from anywhere outside without violating the warranty? Also, is there any optiom yo fit rear parcel tray in the Trendline?
Old 18th July 2010, 13:44   #1746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I cannot flail my arms around as much
Not sure I want you as a passenger!
Quote:
We have to keep in mind that the Europeans build superminis for one or two people to use, not to cart around the family and the outlaws. The seat adjustment all the way back caters to that.
Absolutely. This is not designed as a family car, but as an occasional-4-seater.

But in India, where a bike is a 4-seater, expectations may differ, and cars of the same class that do offer more space in the back may win for the family buyer.

Mind you, both the rear seat space and the boot capacity in my Rover 620 (British Honda Accord) were very poor, and that was certainly supposed to be a family car!

Thanks for the info about the nav system. No advantage in sourcing it from VW, then.
Old 18th July 2010, 14:21   #1747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think i is really not relevant to sy that the engine cannot be heard with music playing. These things should be assessed with no other noises. We might just as well say you wouldn't notice it if arguing with your passenger!

Yes. I agree. I was just trying to show the comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Question to Polo owners and prospective owners, is there any way to get a remote lock fitted in the Polo if I buy the Trendline/Highline either as a company accessory or from anywhere outside without violating the warranty? Also, is there any optiom yo fit rear parcel tray in the Trendline?
Remote lock and Parcel tray should be available from the VW dealer himself, with-in a couple of months. This will not require any cable to be altered. It is best to get any/all electrical work done by the company personal IMHO.

You can get it done outside without damaging the wires, if it is possible. In that case, warranty will continue.

Quote:
Thanks for the info about the nav system. No advantage in sourcing it from VW, then.
Electrical extra fittings are best avoided until 3 more months if possible. After that, I am sure that we will have a lot of other options.

By the way - I met a Polo - Highline owner in Downtown showroom in Bangalore, yesterday. He had changed his head unit to something more interesting. So, he has the original ICE with 4 speakers for sale. Interested TL/CL owners can contact him through the Dealer. Customer name is Mr.Chetan Malhotra. Yes - another Chetan!

Edit: This is just for information

Last edited by Chethan B G : 18th July 2010 at 14:25.
Old 18th July 2010, 15:10   #1748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Oh, right... engine noise measured by how far one has to turn the music up. Got it now!

Old 18th July 2010, 21:08   #1749
Senior - BHPian

I was going through the technical spec sheet and observed that the 1.2 Petrol comes with an Electric-Hydraulic power steering while in the diesel it's just a pure Electric steering!! No one pointed this out before.
So does this mean the handling is a tad better with the 1.2 Petrol?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-polo.jpg  

Last edited by theragingbull : 18th July 2010 at 21:09.
Old 18th July 2010, 22:25   #1750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Good to hear this from a Polo critic.
Quote:
I also had this feeling that you were sometimes unfair towards Polo. But now, it is clear. We all do mistakes - So don't worry!

If I have to point out one more thing:
  • If the music system is on, volume kept even at 4, you can hardly hear the engine.
  • NVH inside the cabin of a Diesel- Polo is lesser than Petrol.
Rear leg room is at a premium. Definitely i20 scores in this aspect. But Polo & Punto are almost the same IMO.

Major problem with i20 is: AC effectiveness, Steering, Ride & Handling (When compared to Polo & Punto), Back seat comfort.

But now I know - Why you support Punto!

But Frankly - If Fiat was directly handling business in India, I would not have looked around. With the present situation - No way!
Yes, I had been very vocal about the 3-pot 1.2 petrol's NVH, but this test-drive proved me wrong (I'd only heard the engine from the outside earlier). We went on a city run, max. speed reached 65-70 kmph, and the car didn't feel underpowered. Not exciting, but not underpowered either.

The diesel version had gone somewhere for a test-drive, and I was slightly annoyed, because we had called up before coming and said that we wanted to test-drive the diesel. Anyway, this sort of thing happens with every dealership, so it's not a big deal. They offered a test drive at home, so I'll probably take them up on that offer.

OT: Well, as Chethan pointed out, I do love the Punto. In fact, I loved the car so much, I recommended it to you know whom . Thankfully, she was already enamoured with the looks. The car was bought in Aug'09 (then only the i20 was competition).
Old 18th July 2010, 22:34   #1751
Distinguished - BHPian

Steering

Seems the diesel is electric, and both 1.2 and 1.6 petrol is electric hydraulic. Also, for petrol, it is described as powerassist.

I haven't a clue what the difference would be, technically or practically. Can anyone explain?

Actually, power steering is the first thing I'd drop from a car to cut cost. It is useful when parking: the rest of the time it isn't. It's become such an accepted part of the basic spec, that I'm never going to get that choice!
Old 18th July 2010, 22:40   #1752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, power steering is the first thing I'd drop from a car to cut cost. It is useful when parking: the rest of the time it isn't. It's become such an accepted part of the basic spec, that I'm never going to get that choice!
True that one should be given a choice, but the fact is that average speeds on indian roads are quite low. In slower traffic conditions too (because it is close to parking speeds ) the power steering makes a huge difference in driver comfort. Also, my experience of driving a Santro without power steering told me that the 800 (and now the Nano) are the only cars that could be comfortably driven without the power steering.
Old 18th July 2010, 23:59   #1753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
I was going through the technical spec sheet and observed that the 1.2 Petrol comes with an Electric-Hydraulic power steering while in the diesel it's just a pure Electric steering!! No one pointed this out before.
So does this mean the handling is a tad better with the 1.2 Petrol?
This one is surprising! But, steering in Diesel Polo is well calibrated. I did not face any problem.

Quote:
Steering

Seems the diesel is electric, and both 1.2 and 1.6 petrol is electric hydraulic. Also, for petrol, it is described as powerassist.

I haven't a clue what the difference would be, technically or practically. Can anyone explain?

Hydraulic steering: Uses a hydraulic system to turn the vehicle's wheels. The hydraulic pressure is provided by a pump (power assist) driven by the vehicle's engine. Lowers FE.

Electric - Hydraulic steering: Same as Hydraulic steering, but uses a motor to provide pressure (power assist) instead of a belt driven by the engine. Practically the best.

Electric steering: Uses sensors to verify the position of the steering wheel and there by drives a motor (primarily driven by motor and so, no question of power assist). No hydraulics used. Motor damping & sensitivity has to be right. Otherwise feels super light like a play-station.

IMHO, It is fine not to have a Power assisted steering for cars around 800 Kgs. But for cars above 1000 Kgs, it is comfortable to have one.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 19th July 2010 at 00:04.
Old 19th July 2010, 00:54   #1754
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm... thanks

Food for thought.
Old 19th July 2010, 09:10   #1755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Remote lock and Parcel tray should be available from the VW dealer himself, with-in a couple of months. This will not require any cable to be altered. It is best to get any/all electrical work done by the company personal IMHO.

You can get it done outside without damaging the wires, if it is possible. In that case, warranty will continue.

Electrical extra fittings are best avoided until 3 more months if possible. After that, I am sure that we will have a lot of other options.
Chetan,
Surprising is even 6 months after the launch, they don't have parts/accessories like remote lock and parcel tray .. the dealership said it will be available in 2-3 months but no commitment and also they do not know the prices...how dumb is that? VW is spending hell lot of money in advertising and promotions but they should focus more on improving the situation at ground.. these things do not give confidence to the potential 'polo' buyers in terms of availability of spares and ***

Another strange thing happened in the Hyderabad dealership - I called up and confirmed that a test drive car is available before going there. When I went there, they said no petrol-car is available for test drive. I said to the SA that I clearly remember seeing a petrol TD car. He said " Sir, it was there but since we sold the display car, we put the test drive car as the display car".. I was shocked to hear this - How can they sell a display car ? Is it legal?
Then I said, when will the petrol TD car be available. He said "tomorrow" and promised to call and inform me. When I did not get any call the next day, I called myself and they said it will take one week to have the petrol TD car available!
That's the end of my association with VW!

Last edited by adimicra : 19th July 2010 at 09:11.

Most Viewed