Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2012, 08:03   #2731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk
My car's headlights and interior lamp dim slightly when I use the power windows.Does this happen in other Polo's too or does the battery need attention ? Its not an old car, just 9 months.
This is absolutely normal because the power window motors are huge power suckers.
Old 20th November 2012, 09:21   #2732
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
This is absolutely normal because the power window motors are huge power suckers.
Sorry, that is not normal at all in modern cars - especially if the car is running! This is definitely trouble with the battery or even the alternator.
Old 20th November 2012, 12:53   #2733

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
My car's headlights and interior lamp dim slightly when I use the power windows.Does this happen in other Polo's too or does the battery need attention ? Its not an old car, just 9 months.
Hey Shashank,

If you are observing the aforementioned scenario while the travel/action of the “powered window pane” is in progress, then certainly there is an issue and it’s worth getting the alternator and battery checked as suggested by “Red Liner”.

If you are observing the aforementioned scenario “post the conclusion of the expected action/travel of the window pane (up/down) while you are still have the "power window switch" activated/depressed”, then it’s normal.

Regards,
somjith_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 14:38   #2734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner

Sorry, that is not normal at all in modern cars - especially if the car is running! This is definitely trouble with the battery or even the alternator.
Nope you are wrong! This is normal! In a car the headlamps, starter motor and power window motors are the biggest power suckers. An alternator is designed to carry all of these loads. When all of these loads are applied at the same time there is a perceivable fluctuation in power. A good instance to observe this is during the night when the lights are on. This does NOT indicate a fault and it's absolutely normal.

In my family we have 2 Nissan Micras, 2 Ford Fiestas and 1 Nissan Sunny apart from the Ertiga I drive. I've observed this phenomenon in all of these cars, not to mention the Sunny is just 2 weeks old!

By the way, I've had a Swift before that had the same phenomenon and I sold it after 4 years and 60000 kms on the odo. Battery on final check up had so much juice left that it was good to go for another year! Go figure!
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 23:07   #2735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by somjith_nair View Post
Hey Shashank,

If you are observing the aforementioned scenario while the travel/action of the “powered window pane” is in progress, then certainly there is an issue and it’s worth getting the alternator and battery checked as suggested by “Red Liner”.
Regards,
It happens when the window pane is being closed, I don't hold that button once the window is fully shut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Nope you are wrong! This is normal! In a car the headlamps, starter motor and power window motors are the biggest power suckers. An alternator is designed to carry all of these loads. When all of these loads are applied at the same time there is a perceivable fluctuation in power. A good instance to observe this is during the night when the lights are on. This does NOT indicate a fault and it's absolutely normal.

In my family we have 2 Nissan Micras, 2 Ford Fiestas and 1 Nissan Sunny apart from the Ertiga I drive. I've observed this phenomenon in all of these cars, not to mention the Sunny is just 2 weeks old!

By the way, I've had a Swift before that had the same phenomenon and I sold it after 4 years and 60000 kms on the odo. Battery on final check up had so much juice left that it was good to go for another year! Go figure!
You know what, strangely my 6 year old Octy also has the same issue of lights going dim when the power window motor is at work, will get it checked in any case to be on the safer side.

Thank you all!
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:32   #2736
Distinguished - BHPian

Polo SR coming soon @ 6.14 lakhs!

VW India is gearing up to launch the VW Polo SR edition showcased at the Autocar Performance Show earlier this month

Going by the equipment on the example that was showcased at APS 2012, the Polo SR comes with the following features -
  • Front and Rear body skirts
  • Side skirts
  • Chrome finish on the trunk
  • Chrome tipped exhaust
  • Roof spoiler
  • SR badge
http://indianautosblog.com/2012/11/v...14-lakhs-55376
Old 27th November 2012, 15:01   #2737
Senior - BHPian

We'v got the Comfortline Polo a week now. Ocean Blue. Have driven it around in the city, my thoughts on the engine and driveability :

Great diesel engine, very city friendly with low range torque (even though power kicks in at 2k rpm). I like the driveability. Its certainly quicker than my Fiesta 1.4TDCi and climbs the power curve without any fuss. The Fiesta begins to struggle past 4k rpm.

The seats dont hold you as well as they should i think, and the steering wheel could have been 10-15% smaller and should have more play upwards. (It hits your knees if one is turning and clutching)
Old 27th November 2012, 16:52   #2738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

VW India is gearing up to launch the VW Polo SR edition showcased at the Autocar Performance Show earlier this month

Going by the equipment on the example that was showcased at APS 2012, the Polo SR comes with the following features -
  • Side skirts
  • Chrome tipped exhaust
  • Roof spoiler
  • SR badge
This kit is available as a genuine accessory from Volkswagen for about 1.12L.
Old 1st December 2012, 20:53   #2739
Senior - BHPian

What mileage do Polo diesel owners get in heavy bangalore traffic ? My car shows rather poor figures on the MID (between 10-11 kmpl) and even my mileage calculations come up to 12 city.

I don't drive like a saint, but i'm not a racer boy either. Aren't the figures a little too low ?
Old 1st December 2012, 20:58   #2740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What mileage do Polo diesel owners get in heavy bangalore traffic ? My car shows rather poor figures on the MID (between 10-11 kmpl) and even my mileage calculations come up to 12 city.
This looks very low. This is want I get for my Polo 1.6 in city, and 15-16kmpl on highways!

Cheers!
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:34   #2741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This looks very low. This is want I get for my Polo 1.6 in city, and 15-16kmpl on highways!

Cheers!
The highway mileage howers between 17-18, all the time with 5 on board and a boot full of luggage with spurts of 120km/hr + speeds, so i'm not complaining about highway figures,but the city mileage is rather low. Lets see if some diesel owners share what they've been able to get
Old 4th December 2012, 12:32   #2742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk
but the city mileage is rather low. Lets see if some diesel owners share what they've been able to get
I am a petrol head with 1.2 Polo and I manage to get 14-15 in Pune city with AC ON. Not sure if this is because my car is just over a month old with 1.3K on the ODO. On highway I get figures on higher side of 16-17.
sankdadevil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 13:47   #2743
Distinguished - BHPian

My 3 month old Polo TDI is returning around 12.5 in city with 50% AC use. Driven by chauffeur unfortunately.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 23:44   #2744
BHPian

Quote:
  • Side skirts
  • Chrome tipped exhaust
  • Roof spoiler
  • SR badge
http://indianautosblog.com/2012/11/v...14-lakhs-55376
A futile attempt to attract attention in my opinion.

We'd rather see a 4pot TSi going under that good with an acceptable price hike. Ford has already hit the Indian market with it's Eco-sport engine variant.

Moreover, I find such attempts by leading Auto majors as disappointing especially when the car doesn't look remarkably different from stock after this package, not to mention they are trying to milk the chrome addicts in India, which itself is amusing.

I'm glad my stock Polo doesn't have so much chrome sprinkled on it.
But again that's my opinion.
envy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 23:53   #2745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankdadevil View Post
I am a petrol head with 1.2 Polo and I manage to get 14-15 in Pune city with AC ON. Not sure if this is because my car is just over a month old with 1.3K on the ODO. On highway I get figures on higher side of 16-17.
I get similar figures on my petrol burner in Delhi, though a bit lower, 13-14 in City. (That's when my daily run of 65km takes 3hours on an average)

But I do tend to keep the revs hovering around 2.5k, otherwise the drive doesn't feel punchy.

Quote:
I don't drive like a saint, but i'm not a racer boy either. Aren't the figures a little too low ?
Wow that's low.
I found my MID too be off by just 0.5kmpl, after doing several full-to-empty runs. The car has just 3k on ODO.
The worst I get is 12 when in a really slow traffic. (10-15kmph).

Are you stuck in bumper to bumper traffic most of the times?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks