Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2012, 18:24   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)

@DCEite, having the Vxi in my garage, I can say that it is worth the price difference. You get a better equipment list compared to the Lxi. An uncle of mine owns the Lxi Duo version and its quite stripped of features. It is the second WagonR that my uncle owns and the first one was a duo which served him for 1.25l mms. That made him settle for a second waggy, apart from owning an altis.

I have a six month old 3k kms run breeze blue Vxi. Its very scoring in terms of space, practicality but the driveabity of the previous version is not present in the newer version. Some goodies like electronic ORVM etc are useful for me. One downside of the Vxi in comparision to the lxi is a slightly harsher ride owing to the low profile tyres.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 18:30   #422
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Bluevolt !

Its a petrol only. My usage is generally too low to warrant a CNG or diesel vehicle anyways.

The package also includes Basic Kit as part of on road price - the kit includes mats, mud flaps, steering cover, perfume and divinity.
Old 24th June 2012, 18:36   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Aaggoswami,

I understand you are driving the Car mostly on CNG, but can you or someone else can throw some light on actual mileage received in Petrol WagonR?

Thanks again,
This car has been getting average FE of 16KM/L in city with 100% AC in moderate traffic conditions, from a newbie driver like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Does the deal sound OK ?
Anything more that should be taken care of while taking delivery ?
The deal seems to be good, I remember similar discount was floated in december 2011, when I got my Wagon R VXI.

I had got 25000 Rs cash discount.

During Delivery just make sure that accessories are fitted before you go to take delivery. I was made to wait endlessly to get the gear lock fitted and wash the car.
born_free is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 20:17   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
This car has been getting average FE of 16KM/L in city with 100% AC in moderate traffic conditions, from a newbie driver like me.
Hello Born_Free,

You are getting mileage of 16 KMPL in city with 100% AC on Petrol? That is remarkable mileage. Are you filling normal or premium petrol? Or is there any special precautions that you take while driving?

I am not getting more than 13 KMPL in Mumbai traffic.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 20:58   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Born_Free,

You are getting mileage of 16 KMPL in city with 100% AC on Petrol? That is remarkable mileage. Are you filling normal or premium petrol? Or is there any special precautions that you take while driving?

I am not getting more than 13 KMPL in Mumbai traffic.

Thanks,
I only fill normal petrol from a IOC pump near my residence.

I think the biggest contributor to good FE is relatively free roads in Gurgaon during my office hours in 45KM commute on weekdays.

I am able to drive in 4th gear most of times at 45 to 60 KM/Hr. Fortunatly I don't face much bumper to bumper traffic

I try to follow all rules in books to get best fuel economy like.

Turning off engine at signals where wait time is > 60s.

Drive sedately at moderate speeds and try not to lug or over-rev the engine.

Try to maintain rpm's between 2K and 3K.

Not taking car out for short runs, instead prefer to walk.

I maintain 34 PSI which 1 PSI more than the recommended pressure.
born_free is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 22:58   #426
Senior - BHPian

Before i finalized the WR i also test drove Zen Estilo K10. To my surprise it felt a little more peppier at lower revvs than the WagonR K10. Not sure why. Anyone else experienced the same?

And yes, i agree with some of the views here that the right way to drive the k10B is on light throttle. For sure the pickup is slow below 2000rpm but once the revvs builds up it takes off like a Turbo charged diesel.

After being used to F10D, it would take a while for me to adjust to this engine. Will keep this thread updated with my views on bringing maximum juice out of the K10B.
\

Last edited by DCEite : 24th June 2012 at 23:03.
DCEite is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 20:31   #427
Senior - BHPian

Got the delivery of my WagonR today.
Initially the colour planned was Blue, but since it was January manufactured stayed away from it and instead bought a Glistering grey June 2012 Manufactured model.

Initial impressions
============
Not too different from what people have generally expressed here. The low end torque is not as good as the old wagonR, but the car takes off as the revvs build up. Stalled the car a couple of times at speedbreakers when trying to stay in 2nd (habit due to old F10 D ).

Vibrations are there if you observe carefully, but even though its a 3 cylinder engine, the gear lever does not vibrate as much as the old F10D's.

But overall a huge step ahead from the old WR.

One thing i would like to mention. The brakes did not seem to effective, kind of spongy. Anyone experienced the same? The break pedal seemed too soft so had to press hard to apply the brakes.

Car getting ready at the showroom:

Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)-new.jpg
DCEite is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 20:45   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Initially the colour planned was Blue, but since it was January manufactured stayed away from it and instead bought a Glistering grey June 2012 Manufactured model.
Congratulations on the New wagon R. It would be good if you start a ownership thread.
I too was considering the blue color initially but changed to grey at last moment. Blue looks amazing but was too shiny, grey looks more sober.

Quote:
One thing i would like to mention. The brakes did not seem to effective, kind of spongy. Anyone experienced the same? The break pedal seemed too soft so had to press hard to apply the brakes.
I found brakes to be adequate, I have not driven any car other that this, so cant really compare. But Eddy's reviews also mentions about brakes being spongy and he seems to have test driven VXI with ABS.
Also note that VXi and LXI have different tyre size.
Old 26th June 2012, 22:59   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Vibrations are there if you observe carefully, but even though its a 3 cylinder engine, the gear lever does not vibrate as much as the old F10D's.

2) One thing i would like to mention. The brakes did not seem to effective, kind of spongy. Anyone experienced the same? The break pedal seemed too soft so had to press hard to apply the brakes.
1) Yes, they are present, and at idling its more pronounced.

2) I did not find the brake spongy. In fact, I am more comfortable with brakes of Wagon R than Innova or Baleno or even Eon. Let the car complete around 1000 kms. and then see the performance. Initially I was not comfortable, but later they were good. I have mentioned about my waggie's brakes being strong in my ownership thread.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 10:53   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello DCEite,

Firstly let me congratulate you on your new Car. Also the Grey color is really good.

Yes. I have driven both versions of WagonR (F10D & K10B) & ther is huge differnece in overall build quality & the new WagonR really feels good on road.

I too do not feel confident with Brakes in new WagonR K10B. My car has already clocked 18,500 kms & I will be due for 20,000 service soon, will get the Brakes pad & liners checked then.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 27th June 2012 at 10:55. Reason: INformation added
Old 27th June 2012, 11:43   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... the major factor for me was driving ergononics - the knee room, the under thigh support, the positioning of pedals, the view from the front etc.
Congrats on your second Waggie. Owning one for the past 11 years, I agree with your views, except on the positioning of the throttle. I find it very awkward in my model (July 2001), so much so that after 30 minutes of driving, my right foot aches. I am also as tall as you are.

The only respite I get is when I floor the pedal fully. I don't know if they've changed its position in later models, but this is the biggest gripe I have with my model.
Old 27th June 2012, 17:57   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
Hey Born Free,
This is indeed incredible mileage!! I read your tips that you mentioned in the next post. I am following most of them but I believe that the differentiating factor is the fact that you get to drive mostly on open roads whereas in my case its bumper-to-bumper traffic in atleast half of my daily commute.

Quote:
You are getting mileage of 16 KMPL in city with 100% AC on Petrol? That is remarkable mileage.
Yes Jignesh! But given the fact that he drives mostly on open roads, I dont think we should call it city driving. Right Born Free?

Quote:
DCEite, congratulations on your new car. Wish you all the best. Do let us know your driving experience.

On a general note, I completed 5 months of my WagonR today and I was a newbie too. So I started learning on my new car and I have noticed considerable difference in its performance.

If you guys remember, I had mentioned some time back that there is a flat spot between the second and third gear where you feel either gear is not correct. But as you drive, I think that flat spot is diminishing gradually.

Also, I personally feel that the brakes are the way it should be. I have test driven certain cars where you have to press hard for the braking effects to start appearing (maybe the brakes were old), and cars where just a gentle braking will bring the car to a halt in no time (maybe it needed adjustment). So I feel that initial gentle press should start giving the retardation feeling followed by a hard press if you want to decelerate faster.

Regards
Dhrupadh
Old 27th June 2012, 20:11   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrupadh View Post
Hey Born Free,

Yes Jignesh! But given the fact that he drives mostly on open roads, I dont think we should call it city driving. Right Born Free?
Partially true yes. But still I have to face small nuisances of city driving like red lights, speed breakers, slow moving vehicles, pedestrians, animals, potholes etc. Overall terrific conditions in Gurgaon can be considered better than other major cities like Mumbai and Bangalore.

I am just waiting for my first highway drive, and then we can compare the mileage figures.
Old 28th June 2012, 22:15   #434
Senior - BHPian

Guys i need advice on the running in.

The manual mentions not to drive at high engine speeds upto 960km.

How high is too high ? Is this running in according to engine RPM or speed ? I try to maintain 60-70kmh at 5th gear on the highway and upto 50 kmph (dont have RPM meter in LXi :( ) speed in city driving.

1st->2nd @ 15-20 kmph
2nd->3rd @ 30-35 kmph
3rd->4th @ 40-50 kmph

Is this OK?
Old 28th June 2012, 22:27   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys i need advice on the running in.

Is this OK?
High engine speed refers to engine RPM. You should not revv the engine unnecessarily to the red line and shift the gears without straining the engine.

Don't drive over 100KMPH for first 1000KMs.

You have to rely on the engine sound as it doesn't have RPM meter. Just drive in modest manner.

Last edited by bluevolt : 28th June 2012 at 22:28.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks