Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2015, 08:00   #586
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)

I did some updates on my Wagon R. Details can be read here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post3712564
Old 10th September 2015, 16:14   #587
Senior - BHPian

Maruti launches Wagon-R Avance limited edition to celebrate festive season

Maruti Suzuki India today launched a limited edition version of its popular model WagonR, named Avance, with prices starting at Rs 4.30 lakh ex-showroom Delhi).

Coming just ahead of the festive season, WagonR Avance will be offered for a period of three months. The model is being introduced in two variants -- LXi Petrol and LXi CNG, the company said in a statement. While the LXi petrol variant is priced at Rs 4.30 lakh, LXi CNG comes at Rs 4.84 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).

Avance comes with features like double din stereo with Bluetooth, dual tone dashboard with a new beige colour, premium seat fabric, rear power windows among others, it said. Maruti Suzuki India Head of Marketing Vinay Pant said "In celebration of the festive season we are happy to introduce WagonR Avance with a host of smart new features. We are confident this will help us strengthen the brand."

Source:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/48898940.cms

Last edited by aniketi : 10th September 2015 at 16:15.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 16:35   #588
BHPian

Re: Maruti launches Wagon-R Avance limited edition to celebrate festive season

Maruti knows how to boost its sales, isn't it?
Alto in Onam edition, WagonR in celebration edition
Almost all the models have got such limited stock versions.

One thing is, anybody would accept a celebration edition from Alto, WagonR, Swift, Dzire, Ertiga etc, as they are indeed successful models, and they have the moral right to celebrate their successes, and in the name of that, clear their inventory.
However, what is strange recently is Honda trying to imitate that and releasing celebration editions of Amaze & Mobilio!
hybridpetrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 16:54   #589
BHPian

If they had put in all these features into a top trim and sold it as such, there wouldn't have been many takers. But when they launch it as a separate "Limited Stock Special Edition', it sounds very attractive. Stick on a few funky decals and it becomes 'sporty'! MS truly knows our mentality and how best to make use of it.
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 20:20   #590
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure what will happen first - Whether Maruti Suzuki will run out of names for such editions or rethink the meaning of "Limited Edition". I guess its the former. Looks like they ran out of names and ditched a D from Advance to make it Avance. Next time, they will ditch the A and make it WagonR Vance edition.

It will sound like a rant, but if we think of the capability of this company being the leader in the market, and dishing out numbers like none other, they should lead the pack by giving us something other than MGA in such special editions. That is when the special or limited stock edition will really mean it. There should be something that will make the car stand out of the 15000 wagonRs they sell every month.

Want an example? The Stingray is what a limited edition WagonR should be like. And they make a separate model out of it.
AAnd yes, Honda has learnt a thing or two from Maruti. Guess they want to become number one in the market sooner than expected.

Last edited by audioholic : 10th September 2015 at 20:23.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 21:42   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Avance comes with features like ...... , rear power windows among others, it said.
Holy Molly, I don't think any other manufacturer offers this feature! No wonder Maruti is charging a bomb for a 15 year-old model!

I hope this is not a flop like the 'Stingray' , where the name itself is an insult to the original model.
Old 10th September 2015, 23:34   #592
BHPian

Well, it doesn't look or sound as clumsy as the Windsong! MSIL knows how to mess up a good car. The Funny part is, there are people to buy even that!

they have this trend of pushing some or all Vxi features on the Lxi trim and calling it a Special edition, where actually they are just a Vxi with one or two missing features at 10k-20k less. But yes, they do create a buzz in the market. Already, I have overheard a colleague mention about the 'eespecial' edition Waggy.

Last edited by anand.shankar : 10th September 2015 at 23:37.
anand.shankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 01:17   #593
Senior - BHPian

I wish one of these festive season we slowly move to features like offering 6 air bags, Traction control and TPMS as special or limited edition with a special price.

I am personally sick of hearing double din, blue tooth and aux with cable as options for limited edition.

And hopefully that will grow into standard package in few years where Airbags become like any feature including an engine or tyres.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 02:01   #594
BHPian

Even though this is really sick from Maruti, they have a lot in their defense. They are the biggest sellers in the Indian market and they know the buyers better than anybody else. They know what an average buyer looks for in special edition - mind you, an average buyer does not even know what Team-BHP is. What a normal buyer looks for in such special edition / festive edition / anniversary edition / limited edition, etc is exclusivity. When there are 10000s of Altos, Wagon-Rs and Swifts on the road, how to look different without going for a mod job? Get the special edition with body decals and some other features for 15-20k extra. Maruti knows the pulse of the buyers and give them what they want.

I mean, if these special edition cars did not sell for 1-2 times, they would slowly consider stop coming up with them. But when people are lapping them up, it gives Maruti multiple bonuses - extra sales + extra profits + no discounts / freebies + stock clearance. Why would they want to waste such an opportunity??
Old 11th September 2015, 10:56   #595
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
No wonder Maruti is charging a bomb for a 15 year-old model!
1. The current WagonR is a 5 year old model, not 15. It's an entirely different car from what was launched in 1999.

2. Honestly, I don't think 'Maruti is charging a bomb' for it. The WagonR is well-priced if you consider the practicality on offer. There's a reason why it sells in the thousands every month. The WagonR also has a very loyal fanbase. You'll be surprised at how many customers replace their WagonR with another one (instead of upgrading to another model)!
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 11:26   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Holy Molly, I don't think any other manufacturer offers this feature! No wonder Maruti is charging a bomb for a 15 year-old model!

I hope this is not a flop like the 'Stingray' , where the name itself is an insult to the original model.

I know what you are trying to say (in funny language for sure) but full credit to Maruti for selling cars for years. It's very difficult in today's market where people want new things all the time. Even if you see Hyundai, after few years all their models slowly goes on decreasing in numbers. Take example of Verna, i10, i20 etc. It is a tough task for any manufacturer to sell one model in good numbers over year on year. In fact Maruti has increased the volumes over years. With Swift, Dzire, Wagon R they have increased numbers like anything. It's just a miracle i would say & only Maruti can do it, period.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 11:52   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I wish one of these festive season we slowly move to features like offering 6 air bags, Traction control and TPMS as special or limited edition with a special price.
'Karva Chauth Limited Edition' maybe? With special discounts to women who wishes for their husbands longevity.

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 11th September 2015 at 12:04.
GeneralJazz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 12:37   #598
Senior - BHPian

A very good move on the Avance.

Two of the major grouse I faced in the Wagon R are being addressed with this limited edition.

Obviously, the decals can be removed at the dealership.
The rear power windows is a boon and the 2 Din music system adds to the entertainment part.

All other aspects is good to have and not must to have!!
Old 11th September 2015, 12:42   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. The current WagonR is a 5 year old model, not 15. It's an entirely different car from what was launched in 1999.

2. Honestly, I don't think 'Maruti is charging a bomb' for it. The WagonR is well-priced if you consider the practicality on offer. There's a reason why it sells in the thousands every month. The WagonR also has a very loyal fanbase. You'll be surprised at how many customers replace their WagonR with another one (instead of upgrading to another model)!
Well, I own one for 14 years, and the major differences with the new model are:
  1. Better interiors
  2. Roomier rear bench, but at the cost of boot space.
  3. More fuel efficiency. Lags like a diesel in low rpms when compared to the old F10, but has a better punch on the highway.

Charging 70 k over the Lxi for the above feels high, at least to me. And true, there are many repeat customers. When I bought it, the monthly sales were only 450 per month, and this has grown exponentially over the years. Good reviews by people who bought it with me might have helped to a large extent on its success. But if you ask me, I'd call it 'boringly reliable'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post

I know what you are trying to say (in funny language for sure) but full credit to Maruti for selling cars for years. It's very difficult in today's market where people want new things all the time. Even if you see Hyundai, after few years all their models slowly goes on decreasing in numbers. Take example of Verna, i10, i20 etc. It is a tough task for any manufacturer to sell one model in good numbers over year on year. In fact Maruti has increased the volumes over years. With Swift, Dzire, Wagon R they have increased numbers like anything. It's just a miracle i would say & only Maruti can do it, period.
True, no other brand has better reputation than MUL in India. They know how to sell and provide reasonable service. However, in the past few years, I've seen their costs going up and service levels going down. They charge separately even for battery check during regular service!

Normally 'limited editions' are terms used by other manufacturers when they try to resurrect fledgling sales. But the Waggie still sells pretty good, and I don't know how much this new offering will push up its sales. I hope this does not go the 'Stingray' way!
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 18:58   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The WagonR also has a very loyal fanbase. You'll be surprised at how many customers replace their WagonR with another one (instead of upgrading to another model)!
A colleague of mine who owned a used WagonR, upgraded to Swift. He now completely misses the easy handling the WagonR used to offer. He says, Swift is a good car, but a WagonR is a WagonR!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks