Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2019, 19:00   #706
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
For the past few months, I am getting a squeaking sound from the driver side of the engine bay. This sound is heard only for the first few kms of the days, probably when the engine is cold and always disappears thereafter. It is produced whenever the car jerks/vibrates (due to bad road or when releasing the clutch) or when I accelerate hard.
Get the belts checked and replace if necessary. I am referring to the Alternator belt here.

EDIT: Does squeaking increase with engine revs increasing?

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th January 2019 at 19:22.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 15:38   #707
BHPian

Hello All

Thought I would clear a doubt which has been in my head for a while. I have an Aug 2018 WagonR Vxi+ AMT ( The stingray version). Upon starting the car , the front doors seems to vibrate when kept open . As in shake nicely I was wondering if this is inherent of the 3 cylinder motor or if i need to get it checked. Apart from this the car runs nicely doing 45 kms a day in b2b traffic and returns 14.9 kms economy. Odo is at 5500 kms now

Thanks

Last edited by keshav1426 : 22nd January 2019 at 15:42.
Old 22nd January 2019, 15:52   #708
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
Hello All

Thought I would clear a doubt which has been in my head for a while. I have an Aug 2018 WagonR Vxi+ AMT ( The stingray version). Upon starting the car , the front doors seems to vibrate when kept open . As in shake nicely I was wondering if this is inherent of the 3 cylinder motor or if i need to get it checked. Apart from this the car runs nicely doing 45 kms a day in b2b traffic and returns 14.9 kms economy. Odo is at 5500 kms now

Thanks
I have been in Wagon-R multiple times and yes, it indeed shakes nicely at idle. The same is felt on the doors and the seats as well. Infact from the rear seat, you can see the front seats shaking, especially if they are unoccupied. The same is not observed in the Celerio though. If I remember correctly, the Celerio has better quality engine mounts than the Wagon-R, hydraulic vs non-hydraulic I suppose.

Though you should try this on some other Wagon-R to confirm whether your car has excess vibration.

Last edited by AYP : 22nd January 2019 at 15:54.
Old 22nd January 2019, 15:55   #709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
Hello All

Thanks
The 3-cyl K-series engine does vibrate quite a bit at idle RPMs. However for me, it has never been so extreme that the doors would shake even when open. I can feel slight vibration when I hold the steering or even the doors. Hope it helps.

Get the idle RPM and engine mounts inspected.

Edit: Out of the 4-5 other WagonRs that I have traveled in, I have observed the refreshed WagonR (with a different front bumper) had slightly more vibration at idle RPMs than my car. I remember the refresh version had a different tuning for better FE. This could be a factor for higher vibrations. Please another car of the same year and check.

Last edited by ashis89 : 22nd January 2019 at 16:21. Reason: Adding details
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:28   #710
BHPian

Thanks AYP and Ashis89
I think i will get it checked at the next service. Its only at idle and while on the move, things are perfectly fine. Off-late, i try to sneak off with my wife's WagonR due to ease in traffic and the AMT.

@ashis89 - I went through your thread and all the trips you have taken with the WagonR. I am impressed at what this car can do. Ofcourse its not meant for extensive highway travel but its reassuring to know of its reliability .
Old 29th January 2019, 11:41   #711
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Get the belts checked and replace if necessary. I am referring to the Alternator belt here.

EDIT: Does squeaking increase with engine revs increasing?
I got the belt checked during my last service at my FNG. He says the belt is absolutely fine, no wear out and no loss in tension. I should continue using it as it is. Is he correct? Even I couldn't find any fraying in the belt.

After starting, there's a very mild squeak for about 4-5 seconds and then it goes away. No change or increase in squeak if I rev the engine. And I can hear it this only when my windows are rolled down.

For the next 10 mins/2-3 kms, I get a much louder squeak every time there's a jerk - due to pothole, an aggressive downshift or a jerky start from standstill. After driving some time I can't reproduce this on any given day. This sound is less shrill and as if something non-metallic is rubbing. Could this be something else apart from the belt, such as clutch maybe?

Last edited by ashis89 : 29th January 2019 at 11:50.
Old 29th January 2019, 12:02   #712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I should continue using it as it is. Is he correct?
If there are no visible signs of a worn-out belt, you may continue with the same belt but ensure that the tension is regularly adjusted. A loose belt will also result in squeaks.

Quote:
After starting, there's a very mild squeak for about 4-5 seconds and then it goes away. No change or increase in squeak if I rev the engine. And I can hear it this only when my windows are rolled down.
This means the sound is heard even when the vehicle is in standstill. So you should rule out anything related to transmission/clutch bearing etc. Do check if the noise varies in standstill as you depress and release the clutch. This should also give some more hints.

Quote:
For the next 10 mins/2-3 kms, I get a much louder squeak every time there's a jerk - due to pothole, an aggressive downshift or a jerky start from standstill. After driving some time I can't reproduce this on any given day. This sound is less shrill and as if something non-metallic is rubbing. Could this be something else apart from the belt, such as clutch maybe?
What I would really like to know is about the intensity of this noise changing based on speeds of the car (moving) or revs of the engine (standstill).

Also note that whenever the alternator senses extra load upon instances like the following - Headlights Switched on, Hazards, AC Compressor turning on/off, there will be a squeak heard from the belt if the tension is weak and no such noises in all other circumstances. Please find this out and share your inputs so we can rule out certain elements and zero in on the culprit.
Old 31st January 2019, 12:15   #713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This means the sound is heard even when the vehicle is in standstill. So you should rule out anything related to transmission/clutch bearing etc. Do check if the noise varies in standstill as you depress and release the clutch. This should also give some more hints.
Hi Parag,

There are 2 sounds which are generated. One is this mild squeak right after the first crank till the next 5-10 seconds and then goes away. The intensity changes with RPM, clutch application and while turning on the AC/lights. This sound doesn't resurface later.

The other sound is also produced when the engine is cold and can be heard for the next 5-10 mins/2-3 kms. This is heard only when the car is moving and there's a jerk. Most easily replicated with a jerk due to an aggressive downshift or a jerky start from standstill. But it is also heard when I am accelerating and there's a small jerk due to a pothole. This second sound is much louder than the first one.

I can't pin-point the issue now. The common pattern that I see is high engine vibration in all the above situations and can think of engine mount/clutch/transmission. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ashis
Old 31st January 2019, 13:15   #714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can't pin-point the issue now. The common pattern that I see is high engine vibration in all the above situations and can think of engine mount/clutch/transmission. Any thoughts?
I still feel its the belt tension. Get that adjusted. The early morning squeaks after the first crank are normal. The squeaks heard later on are either due to electrical load (AC/Fan/Headlights) or spirited gearshifts (and hence rapid change in RPMs).

If not replace, just adjust the tension once please.

I won't blame mounts here if sound is varying the RPM and neither the clutch for these symptoms.

Last edited by paragsachania : 31st January 2019 at 13:26.
Old 1st February 2019, 15:05   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are 2 sounds which are generated. One is this mild squeak right after the first crank till the next 5-10 seconds and then goes away. The intensity changes with RPM, clutch application and while turning on the AC/lights. This sound doesn't resurface later.
I can very well relate to this. Once the clutch is pressed in my car, that sound vanishes. Got the clutch cable adjusted and the issue was resolved temporarily for a few months post which it recurred. Upon some online research I found out that the k10 in Wagon R/Alto does make a squeaky sound due to worn out/misaligned clutch release bearings, not sure if this is completely true in all cases.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 12:16   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I still feel its the belt tension. Get that adjusted. The early morning squeaks after the first crank are normal. The squeaks heard later on are either due to electrical load (AC/Fan/Headlights) or spirited gearshifts (and hence rapid change in RPMs).

If not replace, just adjust the tension once please.
I was experiencing this sound on a cold engine, first engine run on a winter morning. Somehow with summer coming up, this sound has vanished. My FNG persisted saying the belt is absolutely fine and doesn't need any adjustment/replacement.

Now I am facing a new issue. I hear a "ssshhhh" kind of whining sound when engine is running. It increases with the RPM and it becomes even more prominent when the car is moving (in gear).

My FNG checked and couldn't pinpoint the issue. He found ~1 mm play in the waterpump pulley and says it has to be replaced first. Then he will check the alternator and all other pulleys attached to that single belt.

Is he correct with the diagnosis, especially with such a small play? I haven't had any coolant loss till date. Can't comment on engine temperature as my car doesn't have a temp gauge.

Last edited by ashis89 : 11th March 2019 at 12:28.
Old 10th April 2019, 13:54   #717
Distinguished - BHPian

Long term owners of the K10 powered WagonR, how long has the OE clutch lasted in your car?

Quote:
Sorry to keep quoting you Parag but you are the in-house WagonR expert. Any thoughts on the following post of mine:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4572893 (About clutch wear & replacement)
Old 10th April 2019, 14:29   #718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Long term owners of the K10 powered WagonR, how long has the OE clutch lasted in your car?
Our Feb 2012 K10 Wagon R had its clutch replaced at 40400kms. There was some hardness in clutch at around 25000kms which the service advisor pointed as faulty clutch. I got the clutch wire replaced and the hardness was gone. At 40000kms, the car would shudder a lot when starting in 1st gear. Got clutch replacement done that time. I feel the clutch could have lasted longer but my driver has a habit of riding the clutch unnecessarily plus we have very pathetic slow moving bumper to bumper traffic mostly (can take half an hour for less than a kilometer at times!).

Quote:

Now I am facing a new issue. I hear a "ssshhhh" kind of whining sound when engine is running. It increases with the RPM and it becomes even more prominent when the car is moving (in gear).
My car had a similar issue. There was constant humm sound which would increase with speed. It was detected to be a faulty bearing of one of the front wheels. The bearing was around Rs.3000/-. There has been no sound after it was changed.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 10th April 2019 at 14:33.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 16:48   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have a 2016 CNG WagonR. First clutch was changed at 80k kms or thereabouts.

Apart from that, the clutch cable was changed 2 times, once after the new clutch change.

@BoneCollector, the front bearings are notorious for going bad in WagonR. I must have changed them twice. Usually only one side goes, but have changed them in pairs always. I have also changed my engine mounts once and got the radiator / AC system flushed twice so far as car is running 10+ hrs a day and it tends to choke up with dirt / dust.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 16:17   #720
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems my clutch is due for a change now. Will go to my FNG in a day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
My car had a similar issue. There was constant humm sound which would increase with speed. It was detected to be a faulty bearing of one of the front wheels. The bearing was around Rs.3000/-. There has been no sound after it was changed.
For me, changing the water pump, idler pulley and the belt did the trick. 2k kms and all smooth so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
@BoneCollector, the front bearings are notorious for going bad in WagonR. I must have changed them twice. Usually only one side goes, but have changed them in pairs always. I have also changed my engine mounts once and got the radiator / AC system flushed twice so far as car is running 10+ hrs a day and it tends to choke up with dirt / dust.
Till date, only the rear suspension pair, 2 pairs of lower arms and one front brake caliper has been replaced. The caliper pin becomes loose frequently and makes a tak-tak sound on uneven roads. I changed the pins and then I changed the caliper too. Within 2-10k kms, the pin becomes loose. I have learnt to live with that noise. AC condenser has been cleaned thrice till date and the expansion valve was replaced once.

Everything else is stock so far. I feel a very minor play in the steering once in a while in sharp bumps/jerks. 20k kms ago, my FNG had said it could be the steering box and we will wait till it worsens. It still runs fine.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks