Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2010, 02:43   #91
BHPian

The best feature I feel is the option of ABS. This is a proof that slowly we've started taking safety and security seriously. Although we might be far from govt. making ABS mandatory for automobiles in India, having an ABS option in a car like the new WagonR is a proof of the proactive measures taken by the companies. This also might be a proof of increasing levels of awareness about safety in the minds of an average Indian buyer, who is mostly concerned about the fuel efficiency (and rightly so).
I think this line by Eddy sums it all :
"The overall package is attractive, and will appeal to those who wish to buy a city car with their head, and not the heart."
Old 24th April 2010, 03:11   #92
Senior - BHPian

Some people here asked why would anybody buy a WagonR over a Beat. The only answer is the practicality the W-R offers over Beat. We heard people say that they transported bicycles, treadmills, refrigerators etc in the W-R. I don't think you can expect that kind of practicality from the Beat.

Apart from that, common man will definitely trust the WagonR brand and the confidence that the car has instilled in the customers over the years.

Also, I'm yet to hear praise from the crowd for the Beat 1.2 like we've heard for the Kappa and K12M. Definitely it should be better than the K10B though.
Old 24th April 2010, 03:14   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullal_h View Post
This is by far the best WagonR in terms of looks. they've made it look somewhat like the Scion Xb. i've pasted the pic of the scion here just for comparision sake. this is much more pleasing to the eyes

the currently model looks a lot more planted to the road unlike the older model which is much narrower. probably 165mm tyres with alloys wud look much more pleasing by placing the car on a much more wider stance
Well mate, upon seeing the new Wagon-R the first thought that came to my mind was the ad for the World Cup 2010 featuring Zakumi and the Kia Soul!!

However the instrument cluster looks fresh and vibrant compared to the previous generation and the storage space below the seats is a plus, especially for a family!

But MSIL could have styled it a bit more aggressively with a bit more macho touch to it!

Last edited by GTO : 24th April 2010 at 12:30. Reason: Removing image from quoted post. It has been re-uploaded via our attachment system.
febyphilabr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2010, 04:06   #94
Team-BHP Support

The official styling kit-
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)-wagonrkit.jpg

Nice accesories site, and overall good site design! You can try various options. I wonder how they got the name wrong though! (Wagonar )
Quote:
Definitely it should be better than the K10B though.
Beat 1.2 makes 80.5ps compared to 68ps from K10B. Although that sounds like a huge difference, WagonR is 80kgs less. Hence power to weight comes to 76.8 ps/ton (WagonR) and 83.4 ps/ton (Beat).

However, NVH levels for the beat will be significantly lower (4 cylinder!). Overall, it would be better than K10B. How i wish WagonR had K12 instead!
Old 24th April 2010, 07:22   #95
Senior - BHPian

Thats for the great review Eddy - well details, well worded and great pics to boot!

Coming to the car itself - what a downer. Probably the ugliest looking hatch released in recent times (or was it Ritz?), low on power and refinement and poor build quality to boot.

Eddy mentioned about iffy build quality - this is from ACI Review (Web). I guess it wont be long before the rattle god visits
Quote:
We noticed glaring panel gaps between the bonnet and the side fender. It’s quite likely the dies for these body panels were locally made and don’t quite have the same fit and finish as the Japanese ones.
The only positive is - they priced it well. But considering the whole picture I would recommend any friend who ask my opinion to pickup a Beat/Figo instead. And probably a Ritz if they want a tallboy and stick to Maruti.
Old 24th April 2010, 08:09   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
The only positive is - they priced it well. But considering the whole picture I would recommend any friend who ask my opinion to pickup a Beat/Figo instead. And probably a Ritz if they want a tallboy and stick to Maruti.
That's a good summary IMHO of the whole beat-vs-'wagonar' thing.
Old 24th April 2010, 08:36   #97
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Good and crisp review even though if some critical points are missed out. IMHO WagonR is a typical petrol gaadi for city driving. City driving needs frequent getting in and getting out and this is the major +ve for new WagonR also with expected modifications.
Old 24th April 2010, 09:50   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
But after kappa engine was introduced in i10, 1.1 Magna was discontinued and 1.2 Magna became the entry level variant for i10 1.2 kappa followed by Sportz and Asta (Top end variant).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Rohan, the Magna is still the top end for 1.1, My father bought one 2 months back
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Yes 1.1 Magna was dicontinued when Kappa was introduced.
But it was back due to popular demand and now you get 1.1 in Magna variant also.
Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I only wish they had a proper 4 cylinder under the hood...but the market will stay happy as long as they get FE + acceptable power. That's the key requirement and Maruti knows it better than anyone else. Product to product though, the i10 1.1 has it beat in my books.
Glad to know that GTO's vote goes to i10 1.1

Rohan
Old 24th April 2010, 10:53   #99
BHPian

great review eddy !! but still it looks like a "box" to me

i would still opt either for i10 1.1 or beat !!!
Old 24th April 2010, 10:54   #100
Senior - BHPian

A very good car from Maruti to offer competition to the i10. I think it makes the i10 overpriced for the equipment it offers.
Pricing is on par with the new cars launched recently and I am sure it is going to be selling good in the market.
Old 24th April 2010, 11:00   #101
BHPian

Nice detailed review Eddy. Thanks a lot for that.

The boxy car just got boxier. I just liked the front left under-seat basket concept. It is really innovative. Otherwise nothing much great. Beat and i10 have no real competition. They are far superior than this box on wheels
Old 24th April 2010, 11:20   #102
BHPian

A good Review Eddy. I would have however, liked a detailed review with more information aka GTO. The car is definitely much better than the outgoing model. Lots of space inside that is a big plus. However, the smaller boot is a bg minus. Infact the boot space was one of the biggest positive points for the Wagon. The comparison of wagon R would be with i10 and Beat for sure. Santro is no more a competition. I still feel i10 might be the best overall, but surely the wagon R is a close second. I am not a fan of the ugly beat especially the back (1st Gen Santro)
Old 24th April 2010, 11:45   #103
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the review Eddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

but you need to buy an adapter (sold separately as an MGP accessory) for USB.
Any idea how much this adapter thingy costs ?
Old 24th April 2010, 11:59   #104
BHPian

Wagon R and the 'B' segment

I feel the crowded 'B' segment is moving from the entry 'B' to 'B' plus . More features are added to the newer cars, while pricing them competitively.So now we have the Beat, i10, Wagon R , Estilo in the same 'B' plus segment. The Santro is the only car which is still in the entry level 'B' segment. Probably soon it may climb the plus segment.
Which means the Wagon R competes with all these plus segment cars.
Cars like the Ritz and the swift are positioned higher in the same 'B' segment.
Due to the VFM pricing and clever positioning, cars like the Beat and i10 ( esp. 1.2 kappa) compete with the wagon R as well as with the Ritz.
Old 24th April 2010, 12:05   #105

There won't be any kind of adaptor but only a male female usb extension wire. I think it needs to be plugged at somewhere beneth the dash and the other end comes in the glove box, where u need to plug the drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks