Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2014, 06:52   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Hi, may I ask what you decided? And how is your experience with a pre-owned BMW? I am getting an offer for around Rs. 29 Lakhs for a 2010 BMW 525 D (new shape). Is that a good deal? The car has low miles (around 25K)
What was your decision? hope my feedback was helpful.
Old 20th July 2014, 20:53   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Arihant, your feedback was indeed helpful. I decided to skip given the car is already 4 years old a probably at the start of a higher maintenance period in its life.
Old 27th July 2014, 21:51   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Arihant, your feedback was indeed helpful. I decided to skip given the car is already 4 years old a probably at the start of a higher maintenance period in its life.
Good decision. If you want to spend close to 30 lacs u can find almost new cars for that price the new 3 series is a great car. It's a love affair. You will enjoy it. The bug has bitten me. Costs and pitfalls be damned.
arihant jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 15:00   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW 525d : Test Drive & Review

Thanks, Arihant. Took a test drive of the 320 D and was pretty amazed, it has nearly the same amount of space as the 525 D (except perhaps headroom, which seemed somewhat limited). BMW prices have escalated quite rapidly in the last 3 years. the base version of 320 D is being quoted at 41.5 Lacs on road in Chennai :>((
Old 28th July 2014, 16:37   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Arihant. Took a test drive of the 320 D and was pretty amazed, it has nearly the same amount of space as the 525 D (except perhaps headroom, which seemed somewhat limited). BMW prices have escalated quite rapidly in the last 3 years. the base version of 320 D is being quoted at 41.5 Lacs on road in Chennai :>((
Shop around discounts to the tune of 3.5 lacs on offer. Talk to 3 to 4 dealers irrespective of geographical location. Then ask your dealer to match the lowest price. When I was looking I found a 2010 523i for 22 lacs the car had done about 50000 kms. New shape. I found a base 320d 2013 model done 13000 kms for 26 lacs. If you look hard enough you will find something. All the best.
Old 24th October 2014, 17:11   #261
BHPian

Just adding a quick note here for prospective buyers:

5ers now come with a spare wheel! Yes, gone are the days of worrying. It is lays flat on the floor of the boot and comes in a nice little wheel cover. Also includes all the requisite tools for a quick change.

Also, at the time of posting, Mumbai dealerships are offering approx. 10L off the price of a 520d.
Old 16th September 2015, 08:50   #262
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure where to post this. I know the best answers will be available on GTO's thread but I've already hijacked it too much with my queries. I was confused between posting on this thread, the 530 D review, Used Car Price Check or How to buy a used car threads. Since the 525 D is my most probable choice, I posted here. Mods please move this post to the correct thread if require.

I am what you call a sensible car buyer buying simple cars like Uno, Petra, Alto, i10, Rapid and Celerio. Then I thought of buying a 320 D (still on the agenda) but waiting for the new house with proper parking to be ready. So in the meantime I thought of buying a Laura TSI and doing so mods like Robimahanta's Laura. But then wife is objecting because the Laura plan may delay the 320 D. So far the story of a sensible car buyer.
Then comes along GTO's 530 D thread. The 5 Series was never something that appealed to me but that thread changed all of that.
So now here are my options:
1. New 320 D Sportline: Dealer is offering it for 39 L OTR but BSI will be extra.
2. Used 320 D (F30): Very few on sale and that too for 25-33 L. A bit overpriced, I think.
3. Used 520 D (F10): Quite a few available in the region of 20-30 L.
4. Used 525 D (F10): Again quite a few available in the region of 25-35L. Some of these have the rear entertainment package like the 530 D.
5. Used 530 D (F10): Very few available and even fewer with the M-Sport Package in the region of 35-44 L.

I have been going through ads on Olx and Quikr and realized that I will have to buy from outside Goa. Delhi and Mumbai look to be the best options.

Now my confusion is how to narrow down my search. I think I can safely eliminate options 1 & 2 unless someone can come up with a very good reason to pick up a 320D over the 5 Series.
Now lets explore the 5 Series options. Since the 520 D's and 525D's are priced almost equal in the used market, it makes sense going for the 525 D, specially the one with rear entertainment and this is my first choice. Now for the 530 D. Again here the M-Sport one is the best choice. But then it's quite expensive.

Now my questions:
1. If I buy the 520 D what do I not get? So far I can think of is the lower spec engine compared to the 525 and the rear seat entertainment. Anything else?

2. Even though the purchase cost of the 520 D and 525 D will be similar, will the running cost (Fuel, Maintenance & Insurance) be significantly lower in the 520 D?

3. Is it worth spending extra buying a car similar to GTO's 530 D if I plan to keep the car for 6 years? I don't want to end up buying a cheaper variant and then realizing that I ended up spending more or less the same amount after 6 years of ownership if I had bought the 530 D instead.

4. Since I'm most certainly buying outside Goa, I would like to transfer the car. My wife is refusing to drive a car registered out of state. Has anyone managed to get a refund of Road Tax from the original state?

5. Which model year cars are eligible for the BSI (extended Warranty Only) Package that GTO has opted for? Most used 520 D's and 525 D's are 2010 or 2011 models. Later models are too expensive which makes the 530 D a more sensible choice.

6. Considering a 6 year ownership how much would be the rough total cost of ownership for each of these models. Please consider Purchase cost, insurance, regular service/maintenance, fuel for approx 10 K kms per year. If anyone has already made and excel sheet for this comparison please share.

And I forgot to mention, the Laura plans are most probably shelved.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 10:58   #263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. If I buy the 520 D what do I not get? So far I can think of is the lower spec engine compared to the 525 and the rear seat entertainment. Anything else?
Most Important will be missing 2 cylinders , in past they used to sell 525 with 6 cylinders somewhere till 2011/12 as I recollect . And believe me keeping numbers apart , these 2 extra cylinders does feel very different .

But why do you need to buy a Old car at first place ? At 39 L OTR - 3 series seems to be a good choice specially given your wifey's concern - I am sure , she will get even more upset if by any chance you get something wrong .

BSI can be bought only if Car is under warranty / extended warranty and will start from Zero Km so whatever previous owner has paid will go waste . Not recommended / feasible to get on 2010/11 models . Another option will be to let your Dealer buy from your chosen car - BMW supports them by allowing 1 year warranty and these cars are checked thoroughly , you might be paying 50-100 K more due to this and not every dealer will be keen to get involved in such transaction . 530D - M was probably launched in 2013 before that it was regular 530 and you had to buy extra M kits . I doubt you can get any 530D M lower than 40 L anywhere . However regular 530-D of 2010-2011 ( pre LCI ) are possible from 20-25 Lac - I sold mine last year at around same

But if you want something from current lot ( 2014 onwards ) expect over 45 lac .
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 12:03   #264
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the prompt reply Turbanator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Most Important will be missing 2 cylinders , in past they used to sell 525 with 6 cylinders somewhere till 2011/12 as I recollect . And believe me keeping numbers apart , these 2 extra cylinders does feel very different .
I am aware of that. That's what I meant by lower spec engine. I also wanted to know if the 520D is missing any other features like type of Audio system and other convenience features.

Quote:
But why do you need to buy a Old car at first place ? At 39 L OTR - 3 series seems to be a good choice specially given your wifey's concern - I am sure , she will get even more upset if by any chance you get something wrong .
Firstly because I feel it is overpriced and secondly as GTO mentioned, why take the depriciation hit when someone else can take it for you. I'm not a big businessman or a doctor who needs to buy a new car for tax purposes. So I'd rather buy a better car for less.

Quote:
BSI can be bought only if Car is under warranty / extended warranty and will start from Zero Km so whatever previous owner has paid will go waste . Not recommended / feasible to get on 2010/11 models .
So what you mean to say is that the car has to be less than 2 years old. AFAIK GTO paid 1.8 L for 6 years extended Warranty only. His plan does not cover the servicing. That means I'm not paying again for the services that the previous owner has already done.

Quote:
Another option will be to let your Dealer buy from your chosen car - BMW supports them by allowing 1 year warranty and these cars are checked thoroughly , you might be paying 50-100 K more due to this and not every dealer will be keen to get involved in such transaction .
Not a very good option in Goa as it's a very small market and choices will be limited.

Quote:
530D - M was probably launched in 2013 before that it was regular 530 and you had to buy extra M kits .
I guess these kits can be fitted to a 520 D and 525 D too

Quote:
I doubt you can get any 530D M lower than 40 L anywhere . However regular 530-D of 2010-2011 ( pre LCI ) are possible from 20-25 Lac - I sold mine last year at around same
Willing to pay 40+ for a M-Spec.

Quote:
But if you want something from current lot ( 2014 onwards ) expect over 45 lac .
Don't want something too new as I won't get it for a very good price. Ideal is to get one just within the factory warranty and then pay for the 6 year extended.
Old 17th September 2015, 09:15   #265
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Used 320 D (F30): Very few on sale and that too for 25-33 L. A bit overpriced, I think.
I would suggest you keep a pre-owned F30 in contention too. I'd come across a 328i for 30 lakhs. It had less than 10,000 kms on the odo (IIRC, just 4,000 kms). Even the 320d is damn good.

Since this is your first luxury car, I'd highly recommend the F30 to you. Rear space is the same, you'll get a newer model for the same money (thus, more reliable) and it'll be far easier to own / maintain / drive.

Quote:
Now lets explore the 5 Series options. Since the 520 D's and 525D's are priced almost equal in the used market, it makes sense going for the 525 D,
Make sure you go for the 6-cylinder 525d (early models). As Turbonator posted, the 6-cylinder 525ds would be from the 2010 - 2011 batch.

Quote:
If I buy the 520 D what do I not get? So far I can think of is the lower spec engine compared to the 525 and the rear seat entertainment. Anything else?
That's it. The insane engine would be the major difference. 525d gets a creamy, powerful 6-cylinder. 520d gets an 'adequate' 4-cylinder.

Quote:
Even though the purchase cost of the 520 D and 525 D will be similar, will the running cost (Fuel, Maintenance & Insurance) be significantly lower in the 520 D?
The 520d will be more fuel-efficient for sure. There will be some difference in maintenance, but both will be expensive anyway.

Quote:
Is it worth spending extra buying a car similar to GTO's 530 D if I plan to keep the car for 6 years? I don't want to end up buying a cheaper variant and then realizing that I ended up spending more or less the same amount after 6 years of ownership if I had bought the 530 D instead.
That's why I insist. If you're buying the 5-Series, get it only with a 6-cylinder engine. As an enthusiast, you will regret going for the smaller engine later. 525 or 530 only. Keep looking, there are so many cars out there.

Quote:
Since I'm most certainly buying outside Goa, I would like to transfer the car. My wife is refusing to drive a car registered out of state. Has anyone managed to get a refund of Road Tax from the original state?
I believe some BHPians have. Although, like it is usually the case to get money out of someone, expect delays etc.

Quote:
Which model year cars are eligible for the BSI (extended Warranty Only) Package that GTO has opted for? Most used 520 D's and 525 D's are 2010 or 2011 models. Later models are too expensive which makes the 530 D a more sensible choice.
There are two ways to go about it:

1. Either you pay a hefty premium for a 'like new' model and get extended warranty on it.

2. Save $$$, buy a clean 2010-2012 car and use part of the money saved toward maintenance.

Quote:
Considering a 6 year ownership how much would be the rough total cost of ownership for each of these models.
I would expect annual maintenance to average to 1 - 1.5 lakhs for a used 5-Series.

Again, since this is your first luxury car, I'd suggest buying a newer 3-Series with a long warranty.

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2015 at 09:18.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 10:07   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would suggest you keep a pre-owned F30 in contention too. I'd come across a 328i for 30 lakhs. It had less than 10,000 kms on the odo (IIRC, just 4,000 kms). Even the 320d is damn good.
A friend from Cochin picked up a mint condition 328i for 25.5 L done around 12000 Kms. Will definitely consider a 320D or 328i if the right one at the right price comes along.

Quote:
Since this is your first luxury car, I'd highly recommend the F30 to you. Rear space is the same, you'll get a newer model for the same money (thus, more reliable) and it'll be far easier to own / maintain / drive.
Noted. The F30 was my original dream car. The reason I'm considering the F10 is the after effects of reading a "Certain F10 thread".

Quote:
Make sure you go for the 6-cylinder 525d (early models). As Turbonator posted, the 6-cylinder 525ds would be from the 2010 - 2011 batch.
I was initially not aware that the 525 moved from a 6 cylinder to a 4 cylinder.

Quote:
That's it. The insane engine would be the major difference. 525d gets a creamy, powerful 6-cylinder. 520d gets an 'adequate' 4-cylinder.
Now I am being coaxed to think with my heart rather than my mind.

Quote:
The 520d will be more fuel-efficient for sure. There will be some difference in maintenance, but both will be expensive anyway.
Fuel efficiency is not my number one priority as the running is not much. Between the Celerio and Rapid we do only 15000 kms a year. I was more worried about the difference in cost of servicing and insuring between the different F10 model.

Quote:
That's why I insist. If you're buying the 5-Series, get it only with a 6-cylinder engine. As an enthusiast, you will regret going for the smaller engine later. 525 or 530 only. Keep looking, there are so many cars out there.
Orders well noted. Shall comply.

Quote:
I believe some BHPians have. Although, like it is usually the case to get money out of someone, expect delays etc.
I don't mind waiting but I will try to extract this amount to make the purchase sweeter.

Quote:
1. Either you pay a hefty premium for a 'like new' model and get extended warranty on it.
Always a safe bet but then you spend more.

Quote:
2. Save $$$, buy a clean 2010-2012 car and use part of the money saved toward maintenance.
Always a gamble but I guess with proper checks you'll know in advance how much you'll have to pay. I was actually thinking on these lines.

Quote:
I would expect annual maintenance to average to 1 - 1.5 lakhs for a used 5-Series.
Is this for option 1 or option 2? If you add insurance to that I guess I'll be looking at 2.5 L. Add 60-70 K for fuel works out to 3.2 L per year. Say I buy a car for 25 L and keep it for 6 years. The running cost is 19.2 L. Round it off to 20L. That's a total of 45 L in 6 years or 7.5 L per year. I have not taken into account the resale which should be around 3-4 Lakhs but this amount can be a buffer for any unexpected expenses in the 6 years.

Quote:
Again, since this is your first luxury car, I'd suggest buying a newer 3-Series with a long warranty.
Like I've said, I'll be keeping an eye. Just that the number of 5er's in the market are much more. The garage of my new house was designed to take the 320 D. However due to some un-related reason the architect had to extend it. It can easily take a 5 Series now.

Thank's for the detailed reply to my queries specially when you're busy answering numerous questions on your own thread.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 09:05   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, I am looking at a pre-owned F10 530D. This is being sold by the BMW dealer as part of their "premium selection". The car is a 2010 manufactured, 2011 registered car. It has 35K KMs on it and it is not covered by the usual 1-year 'premium selection' warranty from the dealer, since it is more than 4 years old. However, I can purchase a 1 year "BSI insurance" as an extra according to the dealer.

The dealer is quoting Rs. 28 Lacs. Any opinions on whether I should go ahead and what is a good price to negotiate towards for a vehicle of this vintage and mileage? I am concerned about any major downtime and maintenance expenses for an older car, but drawn by the fact that this is a 530D in its current shape, has low mileage for a care of this vintage and the fact that the dealer insists they have done thorough inspections and certified it.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 31st August 2016 at 09:06.
Old 31st August 2016, 11:34   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, I am looking at a pre-owned F10 530D. This is being sold by the BMW dealer
the fact that the dealer insists they have done thorough inspections and certified it.
The low mileage is believable because the owners sometimes don't take the car out at all, that said, these versions have really low ground clearance which enhances the looks, but be prepared for some nasty scrapes. 28 lakhs is too high for a 6 year old 5 series that is out of warranty, if the dealer thinks its so good why don't they offer a warranty? 35k is really low running for something to go terribly wrong.
Buy it only if the price is substantially lowered, 20 lakhs is more like it, its a 50 lakh car after all, and the repair bills will always reflect that. I guess you are prepared for any surprise expenses.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 11:55   #269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The dealer is quoting Rs. 28 Lacs. Any opinions on whether I should go ahead and what is a good price to negotiate towards for a vehicle of this vintage and mileage? I am concerned about any major downtime and maintenance expenses for an older car, but drawn by the fact that this is a 530D in its current shape
Expensive, 2010 will be pre- LCI. I remember having sold mine after about 3 year of ownership at about 25 Lac. Low mileage is positive and if the dealership is 100 % sure that ODO is correct, you can offer around 20 Lac. Do check service records, if there is an unusual gap, ODO might have been altered.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 11:59   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, I am looking at a pre-owned F10 530D. This is being sold by the BMW dealer as part of their "premium selection". The car is a 2010 manufactured, 2011 registered car. It has 35K KMs on it and it is not covered by the usual 1-year 'premium selection' warranty from the dealer, since it is more than 4 years old. However, I can purchase a 1 year "BSI insurance" as an extra according to the dealer.
BSI insurance will not protect you against any major mechanical fault.

Quote:
The dealer is quoting Rs. 28 Lacs.
28L is way too high for a 6 years old car with no warranty on offer. Fair price could be 18-19L maximum considering they are not offering the usual 1 year warranty.

In 28-30L, you can get a much newer car (3-4 years old or so) and if you are lucky enough, then you might be able to find one with 6 years extended warranty.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks