Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2010, 11:27   #106
DNS
BHPian

Went and saw the 535i yesterday. Priced at 71 lkhs on road (being a CBU) it doesn't make a lot of sense. IMO The 530d is the best option at around 52 on road.

At the 535i rate, I'd rather put in another 25% more and go for a MB S class or even a BMW 650.

Car does look more pretty than the earlier, and interiors are nice too.
The 1 HUGE letdown was the rear leg room. We are a tall family, and with our driving position, it would be very cramped for rear passengers on long drives. A problem one doesnt face in a MB, Audi or even a Superb.

All in all, i think its a great leap forward, a good buy.
Old 14th June 2010, 19:49   #107
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
535i doesn't have rear wheel steering, even as an option.
My bad. I cross-checked with the specs sheet and, you are right, the CBU 535i doesn't have rear wheel steering either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNS View Post
Went and saw the 535i yesterday. Priced at 71 lkhs on road (being a CBU) it doesn't make a lot of sense. IMO The 530d is the best option at around 52 on road.
BMW knows that and hence, offers the locally assembled 530d to enthusiasts:

- Its as quick. And the mid-range is tighter!

- Way more practical. You can fill up with the same fuel as trucks & buses (no need for rare premium octane petrol)

- Better tank range. This is VERY important as the Germans are built for the highway

- Diesel Germans retain their value far better than high-end petrols

Quote:
Car does look more pretty than the earlier, and interiors are nice too. The 1 HUGE letdown was the rear leg room.
Its about the same as the E60, but lesser than the E Class. I hope you don't plan on testing a 3 series anytime soon
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2010, 07:41   #108
BHPian

Hi GTO
I know that the 530d comes with sport automatic but does it have the adaptive damper setting where u could switch between comfort, normal and sport ? autocar mentions that only steering,throttle and gear change is changed with that button and not the dampers . Is 535i the only car with that feature ? if thats true then its bad.

Last edited by nirmalkrishnan : 17th June 2010 at 07:43.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:42   #109
DNS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Its about the same as the E60, but lesser than the E Class. I hope you don't plan on testing a 3 series anytime soon
lol. no chance im looking at a 3 series. just bought a c220 cdi. the last of the 220 cdi's available. much better IMO.

But lets see. looking to buy something in the 90lkh budget, a discussion for another thread.
Old 17th June 2010, 11:00   #110
Senior - BHPian

Recently had a chat with the BMW guys. They are definately holding high expectations from the new 525d. Priced around 41L it will be biting into the 320d highline customers for sure.

The whole thing about BMW;s is all very well. The only problem area being the harsh ride from the run-flats & NO spare. Ok, the run flats can be replaced with tubeless, but what about the spare?? The Germans should know that in highway situations, there would be very few (if any) puncture-walas who'd be able to repair a run flat, here in India, AND we do not drive on autobahns..
Old 20th June 2010, 11:14   #111
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalkrishnan View Post
Hi GTO
I know that the 530d comes with sport automatic but does it have the adaptive damper setting where u could switch between comfort, normal and sport ?
Nope, the 530d doesn't have adjustable damper settings. The A4 3.2 FSI used to offer the same, but has discontinued it in the 2010 model range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNS View Post
But lets see. looking to buy something in the 90lkh budget, a discussion for another thread.
The S Class & the 7 series are both, outstanding machines. If its a 50:50 between self-driving & the back seat, the 7 it is. If the car is going to be purely chauffeur-driven, the S Class delivers on comfort like no other. Please open a new "What car" thread with detailed info on your requirements, will be a fun discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The whole thing about BMW;s is all very well. The only problem area being the harsh ride from the run-flats & NO spare. Ok, the run flats can be replaced with tubeless, but what about the spare??
Completely agreed. The lack of space for a spare-tyre is the new 5's biggest disadvantage.
Old 20th June 2010, 11:26   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Completely agreed. The lack of space for a spare-tyre is the new 5's biggest disadvantage.
so
Mumbai-Pune dash - the 5
Mumbai - Gujarat, Bangalore - the merc

Bangalore - Kerala - the merc unless BMW set up a dealer in Coimbatore

Bottom line - BMW need to at least keep tyre stockists on major highways. Remember how Maruti gace a list of tubeless repair centres when the Swift came out ?
Old 21st June 2010, 10:04   #113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
so
Mumbai-Pune dash - the 5
Mumbai - Gujarat, Bangalore - the merc

Bangalore - Kerala - the merc unless BMW set up a dealer in Coimbatore
Good one. Though a guy like me would carry either:

a) Puncture repair kit (and hope its not a large puncture)

b) A spare tyre anyways (and tell the ladies to pack light)

Quote:
Bottom line - BMW need to at least keep tyre stockists on major highways. Remember how Maruti gace a list of tubeless repair centres when the Swift came out ?
That was a case study in itself. Hats off to Maruti's approach.

Quote:
At 120 kph, a mere 1,400 rpms. This car is a relaxed cruiser in a way that the E60 never was.
I just got back from a highway drive in the Civic. To illustrate the difference, get this : My Civic is at 3,100 rpms at 120 kph. The BMW engine, on the other hand, was yawning away at the same speed!
Old 21st June 2010, 12:23   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The S Class & the 7 series are both, outstanding machines. If its a 50:50 between self-driving & the back seat, the 7 it is. If the car is going to be purely chauffeur-driven, the S Class delivers on comfort like no other. Please open a new "What car" thread with detailed info on your requirements, will be a fun discussion

slightly ,pardon me for that but as far as tech and gadgetry is concerned, does the 7 have more of it than the S ? & where does the A8 stand in all this ?
Old 21st June 2010, 12:30   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Remember how Maruti gace a list of tubeless repair centres when the Swift came out ?
Few companies (in any segment, not only in automotive) can emulate Maruti; although Maruti forces other players battle for survival, they acts like a company battling for survival.

Slightly OT, sorry.
Old 22nd June 2010, 09:58   #116
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
pardon me for that but as far as tech and gadgetry is concerned, does the 7 have more of it than the S ? & where does the A8 stand in all this ?
You won't be left wanting for tech & gadgetry in either the 7 or the S.

The Audi A8 is hopelessly outclassed by the two. For one, its way too old (a 2002 design, thus 8 years old now!). The all new A8 generation is expected to be launched in India next year.
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:15   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You won't be left wanting for tech & gadgetry in either the 7 or the S.

The Audi A8 is hopelessly outclassed by the two. For one, its way too old (a 2002 design, thus 8 years old now!). The all new A8 generation is expected to be launched in India next year.

Yup read about that and even saw the pics. Again , good news or bad is upto each ones point of view, but through pictures it seems that the NEW A8 looks like an XXXL sized A4 !! the headlight curves, LEDs and the Bulgarian beard grille. Bad news maybe because again ,too much resemblance in the Audi lineup of models. ( 1 of Audis biggest problems perhaps) & perhaps good news for some as the A6 apart, the A4 looks awesome so these looks borrowed by the A8 might help it to some extent as there might be a few wanting the A4s looks but the A8s size , and ofcourse the 4.2 or the 6.0 w12 .Surely the upcoming A8 would sell better than the CURRENT A8 who has had nothing short of a shocker in India
Again , S O R R Y

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 22nd June 2010 at 10:18.
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:43   #118
DNS
BHPian

Quote:
The S Class & the 7 series are both, outstanding machines. If its a 50:50 between self-driving & the back seat, the 7 it is. If the car is going to be purely chauffeur-driven, the S Class delivers on comfort like no other. Please open a new "What car" thread with detailed info on your requirements, will be a fun discussion.
I am looking to purchase a new car within a 90 lkh budget. I have started a thread for your opinions and inputs. Link Bellow:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...kh-budget.html

Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 23rd June 2010 at 10:39. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:44   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Other Points:

• A 70 liter diesel tank results in a realistic 700 kms highway driving range.
Great Review GTO.

But shouldn't the highway driving range be more ? Attaching UK specification on fuel consumption for reference.

Name:  BMW 5 UK.png
Views: 2621
Size:  140.4 KB
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:42   #120
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
but through pictures it seems that the NEW A8 looks like an XXXL sized A4 !!
As a fan of the A4's clean styling, I wouldn't see that as a bad thing at all. While Mercedes & BMW went overboard with quirky designs, Audi stuck to the honest, clean and timeless look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeld View Post
Great Review GTO.

But shouldn't the highway driving range be more ? Attaching UK specification on fuel consumption for reference.
On Indian highways, 10 kpl is about right for a 6 cylinder diesel engine. This is also in line with what owners of the previous gen 525 / 530d have reported. With a really light foot, maybe 10 - 20% more, but then, you wouldn't drive a BMW on the highway solely for fuel efficiency, would you?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks