Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2010, 23:35   #166
Team-BHP Support

Between the 523i and the 525D which one would you recommend (assuming running is low and fuel cost is not an issue).

- Which would be cheaper to maintain over a 5 - 7 year period?
- Which is more fun to drive?
- Any other relative pros and cons vis a vis each other?
Old 14th September 2010, 01:30   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Between the 523i and the 525D which one would you recommend (assuming running is low and fuel cost is not an issue).

I would still say 525d for all of the above.

- Cheaper fuel would translate to some saving in running costs over five years. Neglible, maybe, but still.
- The diesels are definitely more fun to drive. Trust me on this. Torque talks.
- Given the refinement and power of modern day German diesels, I can hardly think of anything in favour of the 523i. Even in terms of availability of fuel, the D's are strictly to be run on regular diesel, which is available a lot more easily than high octane petrol which the P's need. A boon over long distance drives and outstation drives.

The diesels are a perfect blend of economy and power. And in terms of resale value, the diesels fetch a good bit higher than their petrol counterparts.
Old 14th September 2010, 09:53   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

FORGET about the 523i if its 'fun to drive' that you are looking for ! No brainer , 525D all the way
Old 14th September 2010, 10:15   #169
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys. So i'm just curious. who's the target customer for the 523i. I mean there must be some advantage that the petrol has over the diesel. The price is almost the same so no differentiator there either.
Old 14th September 2010, 12:19   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. So i'm just curious. who's the target customer for the 523i.

Anyone whose running is negligible enough for him to believe that the price premium the 525D demands over the 523i ( have no clue about the price tags of these 2 ) is too much for him to recover over maybe a span of 5 odd years...on average. Such a person would most likely buy this as his 3rd or 4th car for special occassions only ( most of the daily commutes would be done by his Innova/Altis/Civic/Accord ,whatever he has in his regular garage ) & who dosnt have any particular thirst for insane power. The BMW tag and snob value is what he wants and that is what he gets.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 14th September 2010 at 12:20.
Old 15th September 2010, 11:27   #171
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In addition to the advantages listed by FlyingSpur, here's two more:

Robustness : German diesels are way more robust than their petrol counterparts

Convenience : Regular diesel works best for the Germans (no premium please). The petrols are way more vulnerable to fuel quality, and prefer the premium (high octane) stuff.

Quote:
who's the target customer for the 523i. I mean there must be some advantage that the petrol has over the diesel.
The petrol offers superior refinement, no doubt on that. And there is a certain segment of old school customers who think diesels are dirty. Example : My cousin bought an S350 last year. Whatever I told him about the S320 CDI's superiority just didn't register up there. For him, diesel is meant for Jeeps & Trucks, and a luxury car has to be petrol.
Old 15th September 2010, 12:42   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In addition to the advantages listed by FlyingSpur, here's two more:

Robustness : German diesels are way more robust than their petrol counterparts

Convenience : Regular diesel works best for the Germans (no premium please). The petrols are way more vulnerable to fuel quality, and prefer the premium (high octane) stuff.

The petrol offers superior refinement, no doubt on that. And there is a certain segment of old school customers who think diesels are dirty. Example : My cousin bought an S350 last year. Whatever I told him about the S320 CDI's superiority just didn't register up there. For him, diesel is meant for Jeeps & Trucks, and a luxury car has to be petrol.

Same here, my one of the friend is very much inclined towards Audi A4 3.2 FSI or BMW 330i, I have told to look at 525d but he thinks diesel clatter is not tolerable in luxury cars!!
Old 16th September 2010, 08:56   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
Same here, my one of the friend is very much inclined towards Audi A4 3.2 FSI or BMW 330i, I have told to look at 525d but he thinks diesel clatter is not tolerable in luxury cars!!

If you somehow get him to drive any of the latest Audi,Beemer,Merc diesels that first question he will ask is - "Diesel clatter ????..What diesel clatter ? "
I am pretty sure the oil burners would leave him astounded to no end. Besides, if it happens to be something like the 530d or alike , he might not even look at the petrols again !
Old 26th September 2010, 20:46   #174
Senior - BHPian

I chanced upon this import 530i (it's definitely a '06 or earlier pre-facelift model). First thing I noticed was the wheels. Slightly different from the 5-spoke Highline rims we're used to seeing, and I couldn't help but imagine that these would go really well with the F10, with all that understated class and all.

BMW 525d : Test Drive & Review-photo0954.jpg

BMW 525d : Test Drive & Review-photo0955.jpg

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 26th September 2010 at 20:48.
Old 15th October 2010, 15:49   #175
Senior - BHPian

Finally, Ive taken the plunge! Booked a 525D, White with Oyster. Hopefully will be delivered end of the month, surely before Diwali.
GTOs advice probably tilted my decision. And Sahil has always sweared by his 5. Hope I dont have problems like he's faced though!
Shifting from Mercs was a difficult mind game and I hope I love the move.
The E250D was out because of the 4 cylinder old[my perception] gen engine. The E350D was to be slotted for production only end November, so delivery possibly december.
Old 16th October 2010, 09:29   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Finally, Ive taken the plunge! Booked a 525D, White with Oyster. Hopefully will be delivered end of the month, surely before Diwali.
GTOs advice probably tilted my decision. And Sahil has always sweared by his 5. Hope I dont have problems like he's faced though!
The E250D was out because of the 4 cylinder old[my perception] gen engine. The E350D was to be slotted for production only end November, so delivery possibly december.

Congrats ! A wise decision. Problems or not, i am pretty sure you will never regret this decision
A MUCH MUCH better buy compared to the 4-cyl Merc ( which i think is plain boring )
Old 16th October 2010, 10:23   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Scooby. What I wish I am spoilt for choice like this over and over again. To top it a white F10 looks good both parked and in motion. Any add-ons decided yet? Alloys/Spoiler etc? And yes, all that natural question about Secure & BSI cover?
Old 19th October 2010, 22:15   #178
Senior - BHPian

I drove the 523i yesterday and it was quite disappointing. The diesels are on a whole different planet. None of the 'kick back in the seat' feelings in this one. Even when press the throttle hard it takes a few seconds before it really surges forward. As figured they dont sell much but the guys at BMW told me that there still are a few 'running kum hai' type of customers who are buying the 523.

Quote:
Congratulations on the 525d. Great choice of colour too. Looking forward to you ownership report especially after the transition from the Mercedes.

On the other had the Jaguar XF diesel has gone on sale. 600Nm of torque sure sounds delicious. Price comes to 60 lakhs on road Mumbai
Old 19th October 2010, 23:44   #179
BHPian

Congratulations

Congratulations scooby05 on booking your new 525D. Its an awesome machine. Do post your review once you get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
On the other had the Jaguar XF diesel has gone on sale. 600Nm of torque sure sounds delicious. Price comes to 60 lakhs on road Mumbai
This is good news. Can you please post prices and models of available Jaguar diesels.
Old 20th October 2010, 15:21   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
I drove the 523i yesterday and it was quite disappointing. The diesels are on a whole different planet. None of the 'kick back in the seat' feelings in this one. Even when press the throttle hard it takes a few seconds before it really surges forward. As figured they dont sell much but the guys at BMW told me that there still are a few 'running kum hai' type of customers who are buying the 523.

Congratulations on the 525d. Great choice of colour too. Looking forward to you ownership report especially after the transition from the Mercedes.

Dippy, Jaguar still needs time to set up dependable service and dependability here. You know how my S type troubled me. XF was concieved when ford was in charge and on the way to hawking off the division, so am apprehensive, why pay 15 lacs more for it. God willing would love to go for the new XJ in a years time. But am looking at the range rover option in the next 6 months.
I had driven the 525D and found her reasonably responsive, not as much as my E280cdi, because of the Brabus chip I guess, but will chip the 525D too. Yes will post impressions once I get the car, which is hopefully before Diwali.
Yesterday, I floored the CDI, and believe me, I wondered why I'm changing my car, No Mind just the stupid Heart!

Most Viewed