Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2012, 13:18   #241
BHPian

Re: BMW 525d : Test Drive & Review

The 525d now has the rear seat entertainment as well.
Old 27th November 2012, 13:25   #242
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjith_pm View Post

Are there any more differences and which is more VFM?
There is also rear seat entertainment in the 525d apart from what you have mentioned. If you don't need the extra power then the 520d is the best buy. BMW seems to have removed the spec sheet from their site, possibly updating it.
Old 27th November 2012, 18:12   #243
BHPian

Thank you ecclipse and Akshay! A family member is on the verge of deciding on the
5 series. He's trying to weigh out both models at the same time trying to see if the premium
Of 5 lakh for the 525d is justified cause he feels he'd use the power but a few seconds here n there don't really matter! Also how much do we really use the rear seat entertainment.
He's very disappointed that even at that price he's not getting the navigation and is not interested in any of the after market devices, is there a way it can be retrofit?
He doesn't want to reach out to the 530d for it costs 64 lakhs in chennai. Also does BMW offer any offers for year end? He's thinking he might as well wait for the 2013 model if necessary!
Sorry to be bombarding with questions.

I also heard the leather in the 520 and the 525 are different? Can any one confirm.
Moreover the dealership seemed more interested in pushing the 3 series and 520 d when someone is really interested in the 525d.

Last edited by manjith_pm : 27th November 2012 at 18:16.
Old 27th November 2012, 18:44   #244
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjith_pm View Post

I also heard the leather in the 520 and the 525 are different? Can any one confirm.
Moreover the dealership seemed more interested in pushing the 3 series and 520 d when someone is really interested in the 525d.
The leather is the same. I'm sure they should give a couple of lacs of on each. infact on the 530d even more will be possible since BMW has updated the model with an M bodykit, rims etc. So if he tries for the older model without these he may be able to manage a good discount.
Old 28th February 2013, 19:51   #245
BHPian

If any of you guys who were amongst the first privileged owners of the new 525d are interested in selling, please do let me know or post here. Thanks.
Old 10th March 2013, 21:41   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

This car may not be as "on the edge" as the E60, yet it’s a superior BMW to live with. The 5 now appeals to a broader segment of the market.
I seek your clarification/advise/suggestion on this post,

1) Your review is for 525d stating it as 3.0L/ 6.0 cylinder diesel engine. BMW website shows it as 2.0 litre. Any recent change?
2) What's to be preferred comparing the new 320d sports line & 520d apart from better space in 520d and considering that it would be self driven.
3) I've never owned a BMW so would appreciate any typical thing to keep in mind before closing in a deal. Also, any special deal if you are aware of!
Old 10th March 2013, 23:07   #247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitul.k View Post
I seek your clarification/advise/suggestion on this post,

1) Your review is for 525d stating it as 3.0L/ 6.0 cylinder diesel engine. BMW website shows it as 2.0 litre. Any recent change?
2) What's to be preferred comparing the new 320d sports line & 520d apart from better space in 520d and considering that it would be self driven.
3) I've never owned a BMW so would appreciate any typical thing to keep in mind before closing in a deal. Also, any special deal if you are aware of!
You are correct, over the past year, the 525d has bcome a highly tuned 4 cyl engine. Power figures are similar but emissions will be less (and it is cheaper to make). It will be also less nose heavy with less weight but will not sound as good!

The 320d would be the better buy, it is newer and the space it offers is almost as good. The 5 barely fits 5 people at a pinch so you do not lose out too much. If you want a 6 cyl diesel, the 5 is te only way to go.

Get covered with the service care packages explained elsewhere on the form. No spare tyres only non repairable run flats. Suspensions on some E60 5's required a rebuild. If you are travelling mainly around where you live on good roads. The BMW is a good choice. The the roads are rougher and you travel far a lot. You might want to look at the Merc
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 13:47   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You are correct, over the past year, the 525d has bcome a highly tuned 4 cyl engine. Power figures are similar but emissions will be less (and it is cheaper to make). It will be also less nose heavy with less weight but will not sound as good!

The 320d would be the better buy, it is newer and the space it offers is almost as good. The 5 barely fits 5 people at a pinch so you do not lose out too much. If you want a 6 cyl diesel, the 5 is te only way to go.

Get covered with the service care packages explained elsewhere on the form. No spare tyres only non repairable run flats. Suspensions on some E60 5's required a rebuild. If you are travelling mainly around where you live on good roads. The BMW is a good choice. The the roads are rougher and you travel far a lot. You might want to look at the Merc
Thanks Ajmat for your advise! I did go for the new 320d luxury line, Havana.

It's a great driving experience. However, like you said there is disappointment on the suspension.
I have had bad experiences of the car almost flying & remaining unsettled while handling uneven surfaces (especially found on flyovers - not potholes). For potholes it makes a heavy sound on high speeds & I guess that's because of run flats.

Do you know of any solution to this?
Old 22nd April 2013, 14:37   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitul.k View Post
Thanks Ajmat for your advise! I did go for the new 320d luxury line, Havana.

It's a great driving experience. However, like you said there is disappointment on the suspension.
I have had bad experiences of the car almost flying & remaining unsettled while handling uneven surfaces (especially found on flyovers - not potholes). For potholes it makes a heavy sound on high speeds & I guess that's because of run flats.

Do you know of any solution to this?
It is still a lot better than the old 3. The run flats are also better. But switching to tubeless may be the only help for the suspension. Even I noticed this unsettled aspect on any uneven roads as well as a few thumps and crashes. But it really is an exciting driving experience compared to the stodgy C and 4.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 08:49   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Interiors:

Power/Engine
- I had big expectations on the power delivery improvement. Not that it was lacking in my E60 525d. Although it has 50 more NM of torque, it felt likeit had 50 less. Reason being, that the power delivery is a lot smoother. The
"explosive" feel of the E60 is missing, and with an increase in engine smoothness, the aggressive nature is toned down too. Overall, feels as "fun to drive" as the 520d.
The newer beemers now come with Adaptive drive and Dynamic Damping Controls. In the comfort setting, which is the default upon starting the vehicle, the punch is toned down, like you said. I believe this helps for people being chauffeured, as they won't feel the sudden "throw-back" upon acceleration or deceleration. But when the switch is throw into the sport mode or "dynamic" mode, the car gets back its old characteristics. Even the suspension firms up and the gas pedal firms up. I especially love this feel when that happens. It as if the entire car just does a transformer routine! Its like it "gets up and tightens itself!" And when you knock the gear lever into sports mode, the rev limits increase and well as the sharpness in throttle response increases too. And then if you tap it into manual mode, it goes into the sports+ mode, which is sheer driving pleasure!

I enjoy every bit of it and have clocked about 1700 kms in two weeks, making sure I take it out on the highways, every time I can.
Old 8th January 2014, 05:35   #251
BHPian

I need advise. I found a 2008 model 525d done about 89000 kms for 16.50 . Is that a good deal? What Will the power be like? I have a budget of about 15 which can be stretched by a couple of lacs. Getting 2008 530i for 15 lacs. Which should I choose?
Old 24th May 2014, 04:24   #252
BHPian

A good looking BMW after some Bangled experimentation, BMW diet is what I grew on and it still remains on my want list, I wish it was now and I could lay my hands on the F10, I liked it so much, I will push for it some day i know, great review and evaluation by GTO.
Old 7th July 2014, 22:28   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arihant jain View Post
I need advise. I found a 2008 model 525d done about 89000 kms for 16.50 . Is that a good deal? What Will the power be like? I have a budget of about 15 which can be stretched by a couple of lacs. Getting 2008 530i for 15 lacs. Which should I choose?
Hi, may I ask what you decided? And how is your experience with a pre-owned BMW? I am getting an offer for around Rs. 29 Lakhs for a 2010 BMW 525 D (new shape). Is that a good deal? The car has low miles (around 25K)
Old 7th July 2014, 22:58   #254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am getting an offer for around Rs. 29 Lakhs for a 2010 BMW 525 D (new shape)
looks expensive given the prices here in North , I am getting 20-22 Lac for my new shape - 530D , with around 60,000 Km . December 2010 - Registered Jan 2011 with 5 year BSI pack..
Old 8th July 2014, 04:37   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Hi, may I ask what you decided? And how is your experience with a pre-owned BMW? I am getting an offer for around Rs. 29 Lakhs for a 2010 BMW 525 D (new shape). Is that a good deal? The car has low miles (around 25K)
I decided to go in for a new 320d sportsline. Got a very good deal. Have had the vehicle for 4 months now driven about 10000 kms. The price quoted to you is quite high. Please buy a 320d for that kind of money you need to factor in the fact that these cars are expensive to maintain and a 4 year old car more so. Never owned an used bmw hence can't comment. Am glad that I bought a new car albeit an used one. Shop around and weigh your options carefully.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks