Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2010, 21:01   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Micra top end model is equipped with......
Congratulations for the new car! You are getting a "key to life", hope that system should be good and convenient as it is modern, tried and tested in developed part of the world.
Old 16th July 2010, 21:42   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone tell me how are the accessories prices? are the prices reasonable, at least for the ones I have selected?
Good information. Next day after launch, its good to see the dealer have the accessories price list ready. As per my knowledge the prices looks reasonable, I would say on the cheaper side compared to some recent launches. Blinkers, side beedings I don`t have much idea, Alloy wheels looks costly.

Mats, car cover, mud flaps, dicky mat, spoiler, reverse horn looks reasonably priced if compared to other dealer of recently launched cars.

Art leather seat covers also looks ok. Sun film -which one? but <2K is reasonable. Teflon coating is cheap, polo 4K + and for Beat, as told by one of the dealers here in Pune 2.8K. Body cover - is it dust proof or water proof ?
Old 16th July 2010, 22:12   #288
Senior - BHPian

test drive repot

I had a test drive of the micra today. Unfortunately, the Polo petrol was not available for test drive so my plans to test both cars back to back went for a toss and I ultimately test drove the Polo diesel. So, I wont be able to comment on the relative performance of the 2 cars but definitely can compare other aspects. One thing I realised, diesel car is not for me!

I will try to put comparisons with other cars in the segment in my report based on my limited knowledge.

Looks - I love the Micra and I also like Polo and Punto. Since this is entirely subjective, nothing much to say here
Interior space - The Micra has more interior space than the Polo, both headroom and legroom is more and shoulder room is comparable. In fact, Micra is more spacious than all other cars of this segment apart from the Vista, it is comparable to the Figo though!
Interior quality and feel-good factor - The quality of interiors in the Micra is really very good and looks refreshing. The gadgets also add to the feel good factor. The Polo has equally good interiors but very tradiional but the quality is right up there. Nothing much to choose between the two, depends on individual taste! Among the other cars in the segment, the I20 has good interiors but I will put it below Polo and Micra. All other cars in this segment are nowhere near IMO.
Special mention to the AC in the Micra which is a chiller and better than the Polo. Also, the OE music system is pretty good as per OE standards and would satisfy most of us, except the real audiophiles!
Build quality - The Micra is well built, no doubt! The Polo is also very well built and nothing much to choose here.Obviously, both the cars are miles ahead of the Marutis in terms of build quality.
Ride - The Polo has very matured and typical European ride and soaks up all the bumps with ease. The Micra surprised with its ride which is very good and can compete with the European cars. The best ride quality in this segment goes to the Punto, no doubt.
Handling - The Micra handles well for normal day-to-day driving, if you corner hard, there is some wallowing but nothing to really scare you. The steering is light but very precise and it really surprised you with the handling. Polo, of course, handles brilliantly. I would put it one spot above the Micra as it feels more planted on the road through corners. The other car in this segment with excellent handling is the Punto while I20 takes the honors for the worst handler.
Performance -This is the aspect I was worried about after rading GTOs review. Agreed, the response at low end is not great but the car does not studder at low rpms, it just pulls along but the acceleration is not brisk. Post 2000 rpm,the response is progresively better and it has a very peppy midrange (could not really test beyond 5500 rpm). The adrenalin rush is missing but the speedo climbs pretty fast. I also tried to pull the car from 30 kph in 3rd gear, no issues - it pulls nicely. Though the K-series might be a better engine, Micras performance is more than adequate for majority of us! And mnd you, I am not a lazy driver. I drive faster than 90% of the normal public and manage to get a FE of 10 in my Santro.
The engine is pretty refined and silent and you wont feel much noise inside the cabin.
Special mention to the very small turning radius of the Micra which is a boon in city traffic, it takes the same space to turn as my Santro.

Fuel effciency
- Expect Micra to deliver a very good FE, best-in-class.

Features and Price - I find Micra to be fairly priced and so are the other cars in the segment - the I20 and Punto offer more features and are priced higher. The Polo top end version is the only which seems highly priced to me compared to the features.

Overall -
Micra is overall an excellent package and to echo GTO, it does respectably well is all segments and comes at a competitive price. Now its all upto individual taste and priorities. Hope my review makes sense and will be helpful to some ppl in this forum
Old 16th July 2010, 23:30   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

BBC: Production of Micra ends in UK

Quote:
After 18 years, 2.3m cars and one model change, production of the Nissan vehicle will end at the Wearside plant on Friday and switch to India. In its place, workers will make the new Juke car, which will enter production on the former Micra line in mid-August. More than £55m is being invested in the production of the new Juke at the site which employs 4,700 people. The compact car will compete in the same market as the current Micra.

The first Sunderland-built Micra rolled off the line on 10 August 1992. A new model began production in 2002.

It will now be made at a factory in Chennai, India, in conjunction with partner Renault.
Read the original BBC article at the above link
Old 17th July 2010, 11:17   #290
Senior - BHPian

Autocar shootout

Today, in the Autocar show, There was shootout between the Micra,Polo and Figo and Micra was declared as the winner.
Whats really surprising are the performance numbers -
In 0-100 kmph, Micra takes 14.2 secs while the Polo and Figo takes 16.8 secs. That is, the Micra is a good 2.5 secs faster than the other 2.
I don' recollect the in-gear numbers precisely but -
In 3rd gear, 20-80 kmph, Micra>polo>Figo
In 4th gear, 40-100 kmph, Micra=Polo>Figo.

These numbers (along with the ones from Carwale) clearly show that there is nothing to complaint about the performance of Micra compared to other cars in the segment.Rather, it is one of the faster cars in the segment.
Another surprise in the show for me - The Figo is the best handler ahead of the Polo! Figo=9>Polo=8>Micra=7. Never knew the Figo handles so brilliantly!
Old 17th July 2010, 11:30   #291
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
prices are 10K more in bangalore and 5K more in Bangalore than delhi, which is the same as Maruti/Hyundai and any other manufacturers. So much for the uniform pricing policy.
Thanks for the headsup. I have removed the "uniform pricing" point from my review. I'm rather surprised at Nissan releasing an inaccurate press release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Nissan products are considered to be far superior in quality compared to Suzuki’s.
The Micra's build is better than the Suzukis, no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Looks like there is a typo in the press release , the official brochure shows 226 lts. Can any one clarify this confusion!
Correct boot size = 226 Liters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Trust GTO's Review. Really the best.
Hey, thanks

Quote:
Can someone tell me how are the accessories prices? are the prices reasonable, at least for the ones I have selected?
Simple accessories are best bought from the after-market, as there is a substantial difference in price. However, complicated accessories (mostly electrical) are best fitted at the showroom.

Quote:
I had a test drive of the micra today.
Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Today, in the Autocar show, There was shootout between the Micra,Polo and Figo and Micra was declared as the winner.
Whats really surprising are the performance numbers -
In 0-100 kmph, Micra takes 14.2 secs while the Polo and Figo takes 16.8 secs. That is, the Micra is a good 2.5 secs faster than the other 2.
Again, its down to the feather-light weight rather than any engine advantage.

Quote:
Never knew the Figo handles so brilliantly!
The Figo is based on the Fiesta. Thus, no surprises there.
Old 17th July 2010, 11:44   #292
BHPian

re

All:
I checked out the production version of Micro (XV model) yesterday. There are two more minor updates.
  1. There is no chrome nissan logo on the steering wheel. When asked about this, I was given really some lame excuse that it will hurt the driver when the airbag will be deployed on the event of accident.
  2. There is no dead padel. I do remember that Nissan told GTO that it would be there in production version.
Old 17th July 2010, 12:48   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Chrome steering-wheel logos: value=zero, although your post highlights the salesman's ability to spout any sort of verbal garbage!

"Dead" pedal (couldn't we call it a footrest?): many of us never had one, so we won't miss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Figo is based on the Fiesta. Thus, no surprises there.
When I drove a Fiesta, it was a hatchback, and I believe that it continues to be, at least in UK. I hate this habit of using the same name to market different cars under the same name in different countries. Isn't the Figo based on the British[/European?] Fiesta?
Old 17th July 2010, 13:42   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Again, its down to the feather-light weight rather than any engine advantage.
If a car gives good build quality and still manages to keep the wight low so that it ultimately helps in performance and fuel efficiency, it serves credit for that. Ultimately it is the performance of the car as a whole and the FE which matters. Isnt it?
Old 18th July 2010, 13:14   #295
Senior - BHPian

Service intervals and extended warranty

the service interval of the Micra is 10000 kms/1 year (which is earlier).
The 1st service is at 1000 kms/1month (whichever earlier) - this is just a free service for checkup.
Also, Nissan is offering an extended warranty of 4 years/80000 kms at a cost of 5700 approx/- which also includes 24/7 Roadside assistance package.
How does this compare with other manufacturers?
Old 18th July 2010, 15:22   #296
Senior - BHPian

Here's the exact break up of Micra prices in Pune. A tad more expensive than my liking, but hey, it's a great car after all. I hope you all find this excel useful.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Micra_Price_List.xls (16.5 KB, 565 views)
Old 18th July 2010, 15:57   #297
BANNED

Quote:
the service interval of the Micra is 10000 kms/1 year (which is earlier).
The 1st service is at 1000 kms/1month (whichever earlier) - this is just a free service for checkup.
Also, Nissan is offering an extended warranty of 4 years/80000 kms at a cost of 5700 approx/- which also includes 24/7 Roadside assistance package.
How does this compare with other manufacturers?
The extended warranty and 24/7 roadside assistance, will have to see the SLA and terms and conditions/fine print before anybody can comment. Unfortunately, this information was not available at the launch, which was more like a feeding frenzy than anything else.

Apparently there is nil premium on the Nissan Micra, and vehicles are available for the asking, as per grapevine in Lajpat Nagar/Delhi, most efficient grapevine, I may add.
Old 18th July 2010, 18:07   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
The extended warranty and 24/7 roadside assistance, will have to see the SLA and terms and conditions/fine print before anybody can comment. Unfortunately, this information was not available at the launch, which was more like a feeding frenzy than anything else.

Apparently there is nil premium on the Nissan Micra, and vehicles are available for the asking, as per grapevine in Lajpat Nagar/Delhi, most efficient grapevine, I may add.
I do not understand this funda about premium, grapevine etc. Is this a company which is listing on the stock exchange or what? What is the premium on other cars? Sounds pretty weird to me and I find it difficult to believe that people pay premium for buying cars unless there is a huge capacity constraint and waiting period, both of which are pretty bad from the manufacturer
Old 18th July 2010, 19:49   #299
SCH
BHPian

I guess there is not much excitement about Micra as was witnessed during the launch of Beat and Figo. Maybe due to the less number of service centers , hence tier 2 & 3 cities feel left out.

Also there is no dealer/service center in Noida which is in NCR and with only one service dealer in Delhi this is a big constraint. Hope Nissan comes with more centers specially in NCR at least.
Old 18th July 2010, 21:34   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Here's the exact break up of Micra prices in Pune. A tad more expensive than my liking, but hey, it's a great car after all. I hope you all find this excel useful.
Friday Hindu Hyderabad edition says that XE versiosn ex-showroom price as 4.5 (Could be XE+).

Most Viewed