Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 23:46   #91
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review GTO. Great write up and great pictures.

Just one small thing, Can we update the excel sheet with i20, polo, Beat and Ritz.

I think all of these cars will be compared to each other as they are roughly in the same segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
All other cars have a rubber beading (strip) between the hatchback's metal frame and the glass (from the inside). The Micra doesn't.
The Chevy spark and Beat don't have the rubber beading as well and I noticed this on another car as well but forgot which one.
Old 1st July 2010, 08:34   #92
Senior - BHPian

Thanks

Thanks for sharing another detailed review. Enjoyed reading it. My feedback based on what I read in the review:

a. This thing about giving pre-production models being the reason for uneven panel gaps doesn't ring true, mainly because other than the misaligned hatch, the gap between the bonnet and the bumper is quite large (as you pointed out too). Pre-Production cars are also put through their paces on the company track, as well as outside, this one seems to only have 200km on the odometer.

b. Although the interiors might have quality bits, but the overwhelming amount of gray really makes it look dull. With the so-called funky exteriors, it needs some coloured (black?) accents on the dashboard (I acknowledge that you've said so as well, I concur). The less said about the door pads the better; although you mention that the chrome handle feels good to touch, it certainly looks tacky. At least a different coloured fabric insert on the door pad would have been good.

c. Are my eyes playing a trick or does the picture of the footwell show the dead pedal? I can certainly see a raised section that looks like one. Maybe I misinterpreted what you meant. Note the shape of the floor mat, there is no way the accelerator pedal can get stuck in it, a homage to the Toyota fiasco?

d. Do you think that the gearbox felt notchy because the car was not run-in (again the 208 km on the odometer photograph is the reference)? The transmission takes some kms to settle down as well.

All in all, a fairly unspectacular car, in my opinion, people might want to go for it for the exclusivity, otherwise, I see multiple worthier opponents.

Last edited by Amartya : 1st July 2010 at 08:37.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:09   #93
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
I have already booked a Micra some time back
As a Team-BHPian, you booked a car without test-driving it? I'm surprised. I even recommend testdrives to someone buying an S Class.

Quote:
My assumption while booking the Micra was that since it is a very light car (~920 kg), it has a very good power/weight ratio. SO, I was expecting good acceleration compared to Polo/Figo, nearly equal to Swift/Ritz (0-100 kph times) Can you please comment on the same?
The Micra's power to weight ratio is about the same as the Swift, and better than the Figo / Punto / Polo 1.2 petrols. You won't be complaining about its outright performance (from a city commuter hatch perspective).

Quote:
2>How is the NVH levels compared to Polo/Punto/Figo at higher rpms?
Wind & tyre noise are controlled. Engine noise at high rpms is on the higher side (and unrefined). Neither the Polo / Punto / Figo are benchmarks in NVH, though the Figo / Punto units are more refined. The Swift, Ritz & i10 are amongst the best at high rpms.

Quote:
3>How bad/good is the handling at speeds of around 100+ kph?
Quote:
4>I read several reviews on the net saying that the gearshift is slick. But you seem to opine otherwise. How bad is it?
Quote:
5>How is the Micra's stability on highways at speeds of 100+kph?
I would much appreciate your reading my review before asking repeat questions. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I had suggested the CBU -> Mid size Sedan -> Small car approach as a more sensible one for Nissan because the Sedan would have lesser volumes than the Hatchback. If they had brought in a sedan before the hatchback, they would have got more time to improve their sales and service network to handle the large volumes before launching the hatchback.
We also have to realise that the Micra isn't an Indica that's developed exclusively for India. It's part of Nissan's global plans. You could say that the Micra fell into Nissan India's lap. About the same time that Nissan India decided to increase its commitment level was when the all new Micra was globally launched (earlier this quarter). The fact that India had high potential as an export (low cost) hub nailed the deal.

Plus, the most relevant sedan will be based on the Micra. And this is due in 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
Well what would you say is the USP of the MICRA as compared to recent launches.
Great ride + Cheeky looks (some people love the styling) + high quality interiors + gizmos. Plus, its a Japanese car and Nissan's are known for their durability worldwide. For guys like me who buy a car based on the engine though, the Micra doesn't make the cut.

Quote:
What would inspire someone to buy the MICRA overlooking the fact that a dealer/service network is almost non existent ?
End of the day, you only need one good dealer for your car. Those who have a Nissan outlet in their city couldn't be bothered. Those that don't have to look at other options. That said, the paltry sales network will be the Micra's largest hindrance to success. 20 dealers all across India? Maruti probably has more than that in Mumbai + Pune alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Just one small thing, Can we update the excel sheet
I consider the i20 (especially) to be a segment above. Will have the Beat & Ritz added.

Quote:
The Chevy spark and Beat don't have the rubber beading as well and I noticed this on another car as well but forgot which one.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
At least a different coloured fabric insert on the door pad would have been good.
True. The sea of grey needs to be broken with some darker accents.

Quote:
Are my eyes playing a trick or does the picture of the footwell show the dead pedal?
Nice catch . The actual (plastic) dead pedal that will be placed on the carpet is missing.

Quote:
d. Do you think that the gearbox felt notchy because the car was not run-in (again the 208 km on the odometer photograph is the reference)? The transmission takes some kms to settle down as well.
My report is based on the car given to me for testing. I cannot comment if the notchiness will disappear after some more odo miles.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:25   #94
BHPian

Excellent review GTO!

Quote:
Once inside, you’ll feel that Nissan’s design studio hasn’t ever heard of the straight-edge ruler!
At least the needles on the meter (speedometer, tachometer etc..) are straight.

At one look, Likes from me -
True keyless entry and go.This one is a very nice concept. I like it.
Boomerang top made on purpose.

At one look, Dislikes from me -
Exteriors looks like - the car for old couples.
Rounded interiors. Reminded me of Michelin man.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:33   #95
Senior - BHPian

One more great review from you GTO!!! Few point's why I will not opt for this car. 1. Look's from outside is like some modern country ambulance. 2. Dashboard look's like some old designed but AC switch is a good one. 3. I have my doughs on after sales service which is very important for me.
Old 1st July 2010, 11:14   #96
BHPian

Dear GTO,

Your posts are so informative for newbees like me (though i have been driving for the past 36 years) and will really help in my decision on my 4th car ( I tend to use them for atleast 5 to 6 years each-Van for nearly 10 years)

Regards,

Col J H Mayne
Old 1st July 2010, 11:28   #97
BHPian

Nice review. I look forward to the day we have our own TV show. The car looks well built and much better looking in red. Regarding the keyless entry, is it possible that if I am in the car and the doors arent manually locked that someone can open the boot lid by pressing the sensor? I know a lot of people who dont remember to manually lock the door before driving off. Also does the A-star designers have anything to do with the micra designers? Somehow the A-star shows more nissan genes than maruti.
Old 1st July 2010, 11:29   #98
BHPian

Quote:
- What if the battery dies out? Well, we tried . We made a Nissan engineer remove the unit's battery. Even then, the ECM detected the presence of the key fob and the engine started.
How does it detect the key if the battery isnt there and the key cant transmit? Did you ask the engineer that question? And are you sure he/she actually removed the battery?

Because if its true, this is a great safety measure. All doubts about being stranded will be laid to rest once and for all
Old 1st July 2010, 11:43   #99
Senior - BHPian

GTO - Excellent review and Pics! Hats off to you!!

This car with 1.5L diesel engine will be a hit. Rear split seat should have been available. It really helps. Figo also has the same drawback. Why do manufacturers neglect it?

Also, if you can add statistics on performance in your review?
Old 1st July 2010, 11:43   #100
BHPian

Had great expectations from this review. And it did not disappoint! Great review as always. Rated it 5-stars.

However, I will probably not buy this car. Why? Because I am not looking out for a new car

Having said that, I really want Nissan to succeed. This will give me more (and better?) options when I finally decide to change my car.

- Prasad.
Old 1st July 2010, 11:46   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post
How does it detect the key if the battery isnt there and the key cant transmit? Did you ask the engineer that question? And are you sure he/she actually removed the battery?
It could have a passive RFID tag, which doesn't need battery. Most items sold in DVD shops or cloth shops have such RFID tags these days.

The RFID reader can read such tags by inducing magnetic flux on to the tag.
Old 1st July 2010, 12:38   #102
BHPian

@GTO, I did not understand the point of this car. Apart from few new gizmos, what is in for offer?

1) Show and go is mediocre.
2) Space is OK, but not segment benchmark.
3) Efficiency is on par competition.
4) Dealership and *** remains in uncharted territory.

If I am in market with 4L budget, I would probably pick Spark/wagonR over this.
-Ajay
Old 1st July 2010, 12:43   #103
BHPian

It does seem to be a good car, good features, its japanese so it will be good for city drives(not commenting on the drivability),reliable factor is good everything is fine. The only thing I cant digest is why are manufactures coming up with 3 pot engines and with bigger output figures like 75 bhp.

Im a lay man but i really cant figure out if having a 4 pot will increase the costs so much. Personally I would much rather prefer a 60-70bhp engine which is a 4 pot rather than a 75bhp 3 pot.
Old 1st July 2010, 13:39   #104
BHPian

Thanks a lot GTO for another excellent review. You have confirmed my feeling that one wont feel like compromising on anything if one decides to go for this car. It seems to be an all rounder.

It will be a huge task for Nissan to come up with Dealerships and Service Centers. One of my friend liked the car but settled for Swift only because he thought that there weren't enough service stations.

--------------------
p.s.
Hurraaay.... This is my hundredth post.

Last edited by rutvij : 1st July 2010 at 13:41.
Old 1st July 2010, 13:55   #105
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Dear GTO,

Your posts are so informative for newbees like me (though i have been driving for the past 36 years) and will really help in my decision on my 4th car ( I tend to use them for atleast 5 to 6 years each-Van for nearly 10 years)
Thanks Colonel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
Regarding the keyless entry, is it possible that if I am in the car and the doors arent manually locked that someone can open the boot lid by pressing the sensor?
I don't think so. But will reconfirm with Nissan.

Quote:
Also does the A-star designers have anything to do with the micra designers? Somehow the A-star shows more nissan genes than maruti.
Bingo! Nissan & Suzuki have collaborated for the A-Star. Click here for full details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
@GTO, I did not understand the point of this car. Apart from few new gizmos, what is in for offer?....If I am in market with 4L budget, I would probably pick Spark/wagonR over this.
-Ajay
We need to realise that, at the end of the day, you are buying a 5 lakh rupee hatchback, not a 50 lakh 5 series. Every car has its pros & cons....no such thing as a perfect machine. It is the buyer who has to decide what is best for him. For that matter, is the WagonR perfect? Is the Spark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
The only thing I cant digest is why are manufactures coming up with 3 pot engines and with bigger output figures like 75 bhp.
Cost, cost and only cost. Nothing else. Maruti & Hyundai have phenomenal economies of scale. That's why superlative engines like the K12M are sold at the same price as the 3 cylinders of newer entrants.

Most Viewed