Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2010, 05:08   #136
Senior - BHPian

Have to be honest with you, the team-bhp reviews just outclass magazine reviews now a days. Time to start a paperback?
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:08   #137
Senior - BHPian

excellent review GTO. just 1 of the many amazing reviews posted by you

to you
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:59   #138
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Excellent review GTO! I've seen the test cars on Chennai roads, brighter the colour better the Micra looks!
Agreed. Nissan should plan on additional bright + metallic shades. Probably take a cue from Chevy and their range of yellows, greens etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veerendra.kiran View Post
I've got a short TD of pre-production display the car. Variant is XL.
My notes from the TD:
1. Like many others who have seen the car in metal, I too felt that the car has a presence. It looks well built, and it is.
2. Lack of the driver's seat height adjustment will be missed by ladies and the shorter men. But, it may not be a deal-breaker. If you compare, the seats might be placed lower than in i10, but the driver's side ergonomics are mostly similar. The tilt-adjustable steering helps.
3. The interiors are black in this variant, and it wasn't exciting.
4. The PW controls on the doors do not light up, atleast in this variant. I was told these controls will be illuminated in the XV variant. Overall, the look of the interiors in the night is slightly disappointing. Don't know if this is due to my high expectations from the interiors.
5. The controls for AC, music system were very good to use. The wiper stalk was smooth to use too.
6. The drive I took was for about 3 kms, in normal city traffic conditions, at 8pm. If I have to use one word for the driving experience, it would: "OK". Nothing more, nothing less.
7. The head-lamps are average. The high-beam throw is not great too.
8. Ride comfort: Very good. It took the pot-holes and speed-breakers without a fuss. Had to go on a very rough road of about 100mts, and I didn't feel the undulations of the road inside the cabin.
Thanks for sharing your test drive impressions! I'm quoting a part of your post here, so that other viewers don't miss it and can go back to the previous page to view the full post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
Thanks again GTO, for yet another excellent review! You really don't leave a reason for someone to do a test drive before booking a car...
Thanks. Though I have tested the car through the eyes of a regular car buyer, and with the utmost transparency, I do highly recommend members / guests to also test it themselves (prior to purchasing). It’s not necessary that you may agree with my views (and vice versa). Plus, it’s important for you to be comfortable in the car…that’s something only you can decide. Do consider my review (merely) as indicative of the Micra (or any other car I test). No one should buy a car based on someone else's test impressions.

Quote:
By the way, I guess this functionality is more or less same as what I have seen on Nissan Altima in the US. However, a few things I noticed with Altima:
1. The key fob has to be extremely close to the door (less than a meter) to be able to open the door.
2. If the key fob is near the left door, someone cannot open the right door / trunk with the black rubber button.
3. Press the black rubber button twice and all the doors unlock. Press once and only that door unlocks.
4. To lock all the doors, press the black rubber button once, when at least one door is unlocked.
5. You cannot start the car without the key being inside, but, once started, even if the keyfob is taken miles apart, car can be driven away...
Very insightful comments, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Time to start a paperback?
Paper? Naah, you want us to move a step back??!
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:25   #139
Senior - BHPian

Nice review. The pictures are well shot too. I especially liked the picture in the opening post where you can see the reflection of the car in the water body.

The size of the car can be deceptive from the pictures like how I found out at the Brand Ambassador event last month. It is quite big to say the least. IMO its best viewed from the front three quarter. The rear feels the least attractive.

The interiors are pretty spacious. The centre console is very attractive but somehow doesnt stand out against that boring light grey shade of the rest of the dashboard. A more darker shade on the dash would have brought out the contrast better. Nice to see more features being added to hatchbacks now, an important feature on the Micra being the driver airbag standard on even the base version. The i20 has been the pioneer in this regard (features on hatches) and other manufacturers seem to be taking notice. Though Maruti are at the top of the heap, they need to learn a thing or two from these guys. Hope the all new Swift corrects this.

Looks like Nissan are playing it safe by giving us a no nonsense 3 potter for city driving. They have very well kept in mind the Indian buyer's obsession with FE and with fuel prices going northward, it will be a selling point if ARAI figures are anything to go by. As pointed out by GTO, I agree that Nissan missed an opportunity by not launching a diesel simultaneously, something which VW did with the Polo. A CVT is much needed as well.

Overall it looks like a good product. It will be reliable for sure but the after sales and service is going to be important. 20 dealers seems fine, but I feel when you have a small car in your portfolio, youre looking at the volume market which earlier was not the case with the Teana and the X Trail. Its not going to be easy to catch up with the boys at Maruti and Hyundai.
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:39   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Other Points:

• Chennai must be doing something right. Hyundai, Ford, BMW, Nissan, HM-Mitsubishi, Mahindra, TVS, Royal Enfield, Ashok Leyland, Daimler Trucks, Apollo Tyres and MRF are all located in this TN city.

Coming soon : Michelin & Peugeot-Citroen factories near Chennai.
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:46   #141
BHPian

In another review from Zigwheels, a couple of comments are mentioned.

- "Panel gaps and shutlines are minimal". This contradicts GTO's review. Did Zigwheels get a production ready car for TD?

- "you can very well forget about carrying any bottles in the Micra". I remember seeing 500ml bottle holders in front door pockets in pics posted by GTO.

Either Zigwheels has goofed up the review or we are talking about 2 different cars altogether - a pre-production and a production ready car. Zigwheels has not posted pics to support the above 2 points.

Zigwheels Source
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:11   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Why couldn't they design it exactly same as seen in these pics Why they had to make it rounded all the way.
That looks really cute.
Was it just a 'concept' or sold elsewhere?
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:15   #143
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nice review. The pictures are well shot too. I especially liked the picture in the opening post where you can see the reflection of the car in the water body.

The size of the car can be deceptive from the pictures like how I found out at the Brand Ambassador event last month. It is quite big to say the least. IMO its best viewed from the front three quarter. The rear feels the least attractive.

The interiors are pretty spacious. The centre console is very attractive but somehow doesnt stand out against that boring light grey shade of the rest of the dashboard. A more darker shade on the dash would have brought out the contrast better. Nice to see more features being added to hatchbacks now, an important feature on the Micra being the driver airbag standard on even the base version. The i20 has been the pioneer in this regard (features on hatches) and other manufacturers seem to be taking notice. Though Maruti are at the top of the heap, they need to learn a thing or two from these guys. Hope the all new Swift corrects this.

Looks like Nissan are playing it safe by giving us a no nonsense 3 potter for city driving. They have very well kept in mind the Indian buyer's obsession with FE and with fuel prices going northward, it will be a selling point if ARAI figures are anything to go by. As pointed out by GTO, I agree that Nissan missed an opportunity by not launching a diesel simultaneously, something which VW did with the Polo. A CVT is much needed as well.
Thanks Dippy. You were the first on Team-BHP to see the car up & close in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
There you go! Chennai is definitely doing something right . The Detroit of India perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
- "Panel gaps and shutlines are minimal". This contradicts GTO's review.
I cannot comment on the reviews of other publications. However, this picture from my review clearly shows uneven shut lines. Look at the panel gaps above the light arrangement:

Quote:
I remember seeing 500ml bottle holders in front door pockets in pics posted by GTO.
=

Old 2nd July 2010, 12:24   #144
Senior - BHPian

@GTO, any pics of the interiors in the base variant ?
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:57   #145
BHPian

Nice review and I would say a very interesting car . Everybody now talks about the keyless entry system and that definitely makes it feel like a premium car. Have to wait and see the pricing and if they manage to get it below I20, then they would surely get some numbers too..
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:50   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Dont forget Kia . That makes it a hub while the other one is Pune.

+100000000000 to GTO. Great review. Feels like seeing it through my eyes.
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:59   #147
BHPian

Wonderful as usual, GTO.
I love the exteriors, especially the shade in the 1st picture. The car looks so adorable, but I personally dont like the retro interiors.

Another question on the KeyFob.
Should I assume that I need to carry the keyfob, even if I decide to use the spare key? If not, wouldnt the immobilizer be wasted? (that would imply that the mechanical key can be used only to unlock/ lock right)
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:30   #148
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
@GTO, any pics of the interiors in the base variant ?
Sorry, didn't capture the base variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Have to wait and see the pricing and if they manage to get it below I20, then they would surely get some numbers too..
Nissan had better price it below the i20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
That makes it a hub while the other one is Pune.
Tata, GM, VW, Fiat, Mercedes and Bajaj Auto. Any others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Should I assume that I need to carry the keyfob, even if I decide to use the spare key?
The spare must be a key fob. But even if it isn't, manufacturers usually supply a spare key that can work independently. Think of the simple spare keys from Maruti, Honda etc. which the ECM (immobiliser) does recognise.

Spares are designed to be used independently.
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:30   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Thanks for sharing these photos, I didn't know that such a version existed (either in concept or production). It'll be great if you can share some more details about this, if it's not too much trouble.
I don't have any more pics. I think those pics were already posted in some thread earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
That looks really cute. Was it just a 'concept' or sold elsewhere?
Looks like it was just the 'concept'. I wished they had retained the details on the production version, just like Chevy did with Beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Have to be honest with you, the team-bhp reviews just outclass magazine reviews now a days. Time to start a paperback?
I stopped spending on Auto magazines long back!! reason 'GTO's detailed reviews' and overall quality of information on TBHP.

I would stop watching so called car shows on news channels if 'GTO' could also add a video of his reviews

Last edited by HammerHead : 2nd July 2010 at 15:32.
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:38   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The spare must be a key fob. But even if it isn't, manufacturers usually supply a spare key that can work independently. Think of the simple spare keys from Maruti, Honda etc. which the ECM (immobiliser) does recognise.

Spares are designed to be used independently.
Oops.
I originally intended to ask about using the skeleton key. Looking at the skeleton key picture, the black end seems like the chip for the immobilizer.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 2nd July 2010 at 15:39.

Most Viewed