Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:59   #151
Senior - BHPian

Another 7-star review GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There you go! Chennai is definitely doing something right . The Detroit of India perhaps?
Looks like Detroit will eventually want to become the "Chennai of USA"
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:17   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata, GM, VW, Fiat, Mercedes and Bajaj Auto. Any others?
Not to forget Mahindra as well.

Edit: Yeh my bad . Its in Nashik. I confused it to be in Chakan.

Last edited by neoonwheels : 2nd July 2010 at 16:18.
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:41   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Not to forget Mahindra as well.

Edit: Yeh my bad . Its in Nashik. I confused it to be in Chakan.
To add to GTO's list.
Force Motors and Mahindra Navistar and Premier Motors .

Last edited by HammerHead : 2nd July 2010 at 16:43.
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:00   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Another 7-star review GTO

Looks like Detroit will eventually want to become the "Chennai of USA"
Guess Mr. Karunanidhi is offering free land, permanent tax holiday, subsidies for buildings and machinery to all auto companies the way he had offered colour TVs, Gas stoves, Houses for the common man
Mr. Yedyurappa, are you listening??

Coming to the car, it seems really cute but I will personally stay far from it until Nissan proves to be a Maruti/ Hyundai in India. With some black money, I won't mind buying it; certainly not with my drops of salary.
Old 2nd July 2010, 18:25   #155
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I've received two updates from Nissan and have added them to the FAQ (on the 1st page of this thread):

Quote:
- What is the active range of the key fob? The request sensors on the door will work only if the key fob is within 0.9 meters of the car. That's less than 3 feet.

- If I, as a Micra owner, am driving the car, can someone open the boot / door by pressing the request sensor (since the key fob is in the car)? No. Once you lock the car from inside (say, while driving), the boot / door request sensors don't work.
I must admit, its a very well-thought out system!
Old 3rd July 2010, 16:00   #156
Senior - BHPian

1) This is about the wiper stalk. I think the controls are laid out in reverse manner.
Nissan Micra : Test Drive & Review-nissan_micra_10.jpg

The front wiper is what most of the people are going to need, so why is it placed at the innermost section ? So IMO, the places for rear and front wiper controls is reversed.

The intermettent timer is a very nice facility and the markings are helpful.

What is mist ? facility.

Although just an assumption, I think that the wiper stalk system is similar to what we find in the LHD cars where the stalk is on right side. For LHD cars, the front wiper control would be on the outer section. For India they have just changed location of the stalk, but they have not changed the system of controlling wipers.

2) What about temperature gauge ? I noticed it is not there.
Digital fuel gauge. Is it more linear than the analogue gauges ? I mean in many cars even when if there is more amount of fuel left, the gauge will be in reserve. How linear is the digital fuel gauge as compared to analogue gauges ?

EDIT :

3) What is the real advantage of the request sensor ? Even in the remote locking/unlocking one has to press a button to unlock the doors, and in Micra one has to press a " request sensor ". This is not as simple as Cruze IMO where in one gets entry into the car if he has the keyfob.

The system is also slightly on the complex side for the functions of locking, unlocking all doors. In remote locking/unlocking, its matter of a press of a button to open/lock all doors. In Micra one has to press the request sensor twice to open all doors.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 3rd July 2010 at 16:09.
Old 3rd July 2010, 17:44   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) This is about the wiper stalk. I think the controls are laid out in reverse manner.

The front wiper is what most of the people are going to need, so why is it placed at the innermost section ? So IMO, the places for rear and front wiper controls is reversed.

The intermettent timer is a very nice facility and the markings are helpful.

I don't think they've got it wrong. Haven't seen the car in the flesh but my reading of the controls is that the front wiper movement is controlled by moving the entire stalk up or down for the required setting.

The rear wiper on the other hand would work by twisting the outermost portion of the stalk in the relevant direction.
Old 4th July 2010, 00:33   #158
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I think the controls are laid out in reverse manner.
Not at all. With your index finger, you can easily tap the wiper stalk down (intermittent -> Low -> High).

Quote:
What is mist ? facility.
Typically used for a quick sweep. Wipers function for as long as you hold the switch in mist position.

Quote:
2) What about temperature gauge ? I noticed it is not there.
No digital gauge either. Just a warning lamp for when the engine overheats.

Quote:
Even in the remote locking/unlocking one has to press a button to unlock the doors, and in Micra one has to press a " request sensor ". This is not as simple as Cruze IMO where in one gets entry into the car if he has the keyfob.
It is indeed as simple as in the Cruze. You don't need to press the "unlock" button, as long as the key fob is in your pocket (within a .9 meter range). Please refer to my complete review, all of these topics have been touched upon.

Last edited by GTO : 4th July 2010 at 00:34.
Old 4th July 2010, 08:07   #159
RGK
Senior - BHPian

I was waiting for GTO's review on Micra but due to bookmarking I never visited home page. Seeing this after a week.
As usual a detailed and neutralised reivew by GTO. Need to read again to pick and understand the technicalities.
Having the largest automobile base in India, does not Chennai have a better place for reviewing cars for technical experts.
As GTO noticed, I immediately felt the need of round shaped fuel lid - how come square one as rightly said wafer is thicker than Nissan dealership. Will come back again.

<<No digital gauge either. Just a warning lamp for when the engine overheats. >>
I do not understand, what amount of cost cutting is achieved by doing this. Manual gauge to see the eng temp helps and warns a lot.

Last edited by RGK : 4th July 2010 at 08:09.
Old 4th July 2010, 08:16   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
<<No digital gauge either. Just a warning lamp for when the engine overheats. >>
I do not understand, what amount of cost cutting is achieved by doing this. Manual gauge to see the eng temp helps and warns a lot.
You are right about their being negligible difference in costs, but this is something I have noticed on many cars in North America as well. To be honest, a temperature gauge isn't really that big a deal, as long as the warning lamp gives enough of a warning.

However, like you, I too prefer having a temperature gauge, something maybe due to my love of dials .
Old 4th July 2010, 12:34   #161
BHPian

Awesome Review! Clearly articulates the tangible and intangible features of the car. I think it is very important that every prospective buyer reads this review to understand every feature, does a test drive to verify for themselves and only then take a decision on the purchase. With this method it would be hard to go wrong!

I cant help thinking of the contrast with Renault. They came in with a joint venture with one of India's better companies (Mahindra), but brought a product screaming CHEAP and overpriced it. Nissan on the other hand has come alone, brought a brand new product and from the looks of it, the quality is up to standard as will be the price. A case of some intra company lessons learnt perhaps?

Wishing Nissan all the success!
Old 4th July 2010, 12:45   #162
Senior - BHPian

Do the Micra's rear windows roll down completely or partially like on the Figo? From the pics, I guess completely? seems to be enough space for that in the door.
Old 4th July 2010, 13:00   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
However, like you, I too prefer having a temperature gauge, something maybe due to my love of dials .
Same here. I still remember our old Amby that boasted five dials: speedo, oil pressure, amp, fuel and temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Do the Micra's rear windows roll down completely or partially like on the Figo? From the pics, I guess completely? seems to be enough space for that in the door.
This is not an answer for ??? but IMO a partial roll down is more safe; just my 2c.
Old 4th July 2010, 14:21   #164
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Micra at Oberon Mall, Cochin today. Looks about the size of the Swift. Looks OK in the silver color. That's all I could gather because:

- The doors were locked
- There was NO ONE around to explain the features

That's probably because there was nothing much to explain by way of features because the highest variant was not on display (the display car had black door handles without request sensors).
Old 4th July 2010, 23:28   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I don't think they've got it wrong. Haven't seen the car in the flesh but my reading of the controls is that the front wiper movement is controlled by moving the entire stalk up or down for the required setting.

The rear wiper on the other hand would work by twisting the outermost portion of the stalk in the relevant direction.
Quote:
Not at all. With your index finger, you can easily tap the wiper stalk down (intermittent -> Low -> High).
Thanks for clarifying. I accidently used to switch on Baleno's wipers due to my driving style and specially the way I grip the steering wheel. I hope the distance between control and steering wheel is reasonable in Micra.

Quote:
Typically used for a quick sweep. Wipers function for as long as you hold the switch in mist position.

No digital gauge either. Just a warning lamp for when the engine overheats.
Again thanks for information. Mist is a nice function. A big negative for not proving temp gauge.

Quote:
It is indeed as simple as in the Cruze. You don't need to press the "unlock" button, as long as the key fob is in your pocket (within a .9 meter range). Please refer to my complete review, all of these topics have been touched upon.
IIRC, I had already read the review, but enjoyed reading it again ( i.e. excellent review ).

Here are few points that I have not understood, sorry if I am asking repeatedly.

1) In the above quote posts of yours, I have marked a few lines in bold. IMO, this is a bit contradictory.

Quote:
- How does it work : Basically, the Nissan key fob has to be within a couple of meters range of the car. As long as you are carrying the key on you, just walk up to the door, press the "request sensor button" and pull on the door handle. It will unlock automatically.

- What is the active range of the key fob? The request sensors on the door will work only if the key fob is within 0.9 meters of the car. That's less than 3 feet.
IIRC, the 0.9mtr/2.97 feet part was added later, so what is the exact range, 2.97 feet ?

2) About the remote button pressing, I will clarify again.

In a normal remote locking/unlocking car, to unlock a car, one has to press a button.
Now in case of micra if a person has the keybob within 0.9m/2.97 feet of the car, the person has to press a request sensor located on the door of Mirca.

From your initial TD report posts on this thread :
Quote:
Walk up to the car, merely press the “request sensor” and tug on the door handle. There isn’t a need to insert a key anywhere; as long as you are carrying the key fob, the doors will unlock.
Quote:
- How does it work : Basically, the Nissan key fob has to be within a couple of meters range of the car. As long as you are carrying the key on you, just walk up to the door, press the "request sensor button" and pull on the door handle. It will unlock automatically.
In Micra one has to press a request sensor.

For a normal remote lock facitliy ( of other cars ), a person has to press the unlock button.

So, what is real advantage of Micra's system ? A person has to press a button ( called request sensor ) on the door for Micra, and in other cars with remote locking/unlocking a person has to press a button on remote.

In both cases vis. a normal remote locking/unlocking system and Micra system one has to press a button at either remote or on door. IMO, I find the request sensor illogical. I would prefer to press button on remote than on door.

I hope atleast I have clarified my question/point. I was not talking about pressing button on the keybob of Micra in my earlier post here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1965314-post155.html.

3) Does the rear doors have request sensors ?
Could not find any mention in the review ( may be I am missing a part of review ). Sorry if I a committing a mistake.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 4th July 2010 at 23:34.

Most Viewed