Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2010, 20:46   #136
BHPian

My uncle bought a D4-D a couple of weeks ago & the car has already done about 600 kms. I did a brief drive to the airport & back & I must say the car is a pretty good overall package, as in the sense that it has the right balance of everything. We bought the G variant, though it does not have Auto this & Auto that, but I quite liked the car. The drawback of the 1400 cc has been offset by the additional 6th gear. The car was cruising at 100 kmph in the 6th gear at about 1800 RPM to 2000 RPM. There was no strain on the engine or any of the diesel noise at all. The interiors look good with everything covered, the glass holders, the lighter, thus giving it an uncluttered look to the dashboard. The best part is the electronically folding & adjusting ORVM's. Fog lamps is not standard even in the mid variant. More on it later.

CHEERS,
G D
P180V1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2010, 11:36   #137
NGM
BHPian

Spare parts price for Altis is way higher than the older version of Corolla.Service center recommended to change brake pads(fron and rear) after running 14k Km/2 year.They have priced it at Rs 14000 where as for earlier corolla it was around 8K.So approximately around 60% increase in brake pads cost compared to previous corolla.So i guess that the same trend will be there for other parts also which culd mean we spend more to maintain an Altis compared to previous corolla.So those who are considering deisel version check out the spare parts pricing also if you prefer to spend less for maintenance.
Shared this info already in another forum where we were discussing about brake pads and braking noise.
Anyways am yet to replace it as they told that i can use it for a few thousand Kms more.
Old 18th September 2010, 00:05   #138
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Spare parts price for Altis is way higher than the older version of Corolla.Service center recommended to change brake pads(fron and rear) after running 14k Km/2 year.They have priced it at Rs 14000 where as for earlier corolla it was around 8K.So approximately around 60% increase in brake pads cost compared to previous corolla.
Search around the forum, many BHPians have had their Altis brake pads changed under warranty. You might as well request your dealer to do the same. 14K kms is way too early for the OEM pads to wear out.

BTW, Rs. 14,000 for a set of 4 is definitely on the higher side. Toyota & Honda price their consumables (brake pads, filters etc.) very reasonably (Civics front pads cost less than 5K, including labour). It's only the not-so-frequently-replaced parts that are expensive with the Toyondas (air-con compressors, body panels and the like).
Old 12th October 2010, 13:34   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys I am confused between the petrol Altis(1.8G) and the diesel Altis(G variant).
Usage pattern:
1. The car is a replacement for my father's NHC 2005.
2. It will be driven in the city 90% of the times.
3. Chauffeur driven 80% of the time.
4. Monthly run is around 2000kms. And I was just calculating the monthly fuel bills and I should be able to save a cool 5000Rs( approx according to existing fuel prices in delhi) in 1 month with a 2000km run. That means 60k in a year. So the price difference of 1lakh in between the 2 variants will be neutralized within a year and a half.
Please guide me. Major reason for confusion is that the petrol variant has a better engine i believe and I will miss the electrically adjustable driver seat( but then I am also thinking that since the car will be chauffeur driven how does it matter lol).
Looking forward to some good advice.
Sorry have to put this here since I dont think I can start a new thread on this.
Old 12th October 2010, 16:24   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey guys I am confused between the petrol Altis(1.8G) and the diesel Altis(G variant).
Usage pattern:
1. The car is a replacement for my father's NHC 2005.
2. It will be driven in the city 90% of the times.
3. Chauffeur driven 80% of the time.
4. Monthly run is around 2000kms. And I was just calculating the monthly fuel bills and I should be able to save a cool 5000Rs( approx according to existing fuel prices in delhi) in 1 month with a 2000km run. That means 60k in a year. So the price difference of 1lakh in between the 2 variants will be neutralized within a year and a half.
Please guide me. Major reason for confusion is that the petrol variant has a better engine i believe and I will miss the electrically adjustable driver seat( but then I am also thinking that since the car will be chauffeur driven how does it matter lol).
Looking forward to some good advice.
Sorry have to put this here since I dont think I can start a new thread on this.
You have answered your query yourself. Since its 80% driven by a driver and with 2000kms running a month. It makes sense to buy the diesel version.

When you drive it, engage gears at higher rpms to get performance out of otherwise sedate diesel engine
Old 12th October 2010, 18:21   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey how good is this Auto Anti Glare Mirror (EC Mirror). Its only on the GL variant. and would it be possible to get it on the G variant? Would be great if anyone who has used this feature can throw some light on it. please!!
Old 13th October 2010, 17:57   #142
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey how good is this Auto Anti Glare Mirror (EC Mirror). Its only on the GL variant. and would it be possible to get it on the G variant? Would be great if anyone who has used this feature can throw some light on it. please!!
I believe it automatically switches to night mode if there is a car with sharp headlamps behind. Wouldn't say its a "must-have" feature, though it is certainly "nice to have".
Old 13th October 2010, 18:38   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks GTO and mobike. I guess i will go and book the mid G variant. Hey can you guys guide me a little as to what kind of discounts I can push for? Given that the Vento is selling like hot cakes I am sure toyota people will be willing to give in some freebies.
Here is what the dealership Brochure says about the price breakdown:
Altis Diesel HG variant( middle one):
Ex Showroom price - 1279500
Road tax @ 10% - 127950
Registration fees with HP, MCD parking fees, Smart card - 4670
Number plate and number etching- 950
Logistics and handling charges- 3550
Insurance- 36509
Galaxy suraksha - 4000
Smile package - 4543
Total- RS 1461672

I am not sure what do they include in this Galaxy suraksha and Smile package.
Also they offered me the option of taking extended warranty for 4th and 5th year too.
I am totally confused.
Old 3rd December 2010, 18:49   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Looking at the November Sales numbers Looks like the Frugal Altis is doing better than the Rocket. This doesn't surprise me since I have always believed that outright performance is a priority only for a small percentage of buyers. For the majority, Low cost of ownership and good mileage is important. Look at the sales numbers november:

Corolla Altis : 784
Cruze : 617
Laura : 403
Old 4th December 2010, 15:08   #145
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Looking at the November Sales numbers Looks like the Frugal Altis is doing better than the Rocket.
Not really. Don't forget that the Altis numbers include the petrol variant which would make up for atleast 50% of sales (if not more). We can safely guesstimate that, with a difference of only 167 cars, the Cruze diesel outsells the Altis Diesel. Unless you want to believe that the Altis petrol sold 167 units only.
Old 4th December 2010, 18:01   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Looking at the November Sales numbers Looks like the Frugal Altis is doing better than the Rocket. This doesn't surprise me since I have always believed that outright performance is a priority only for a small percentage of buyers. For the majority, Low cost of ownership and good mileage is important.
-1 to that (well, can we actually say -1 if we dont agree )

Dont think that would be the case, if you were right all the indians would only buy the Dzire, and no one would bother about the higher configured Skodas, the Altises, the civics and the Cruzes.
Old 30th January 2011, 19:17   #147

Re: Toyota Corolla Altis (1.4 D-4D) Diesel : Test Drive & Review

So did you finally buy this Car? Can you share your experience. I am looking at this model too
Old 17th July 2011, 09:26   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Excellent review.

Why not an AT in the innova now !

I am just waiting for this. Any chance an AT Diesel Innvova to be launched soon?
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:54   #149
BHPian

Is the Altis D-4D expected with a new engine anytime soon? anyone can shed some light here . Also an autobox will be a boon .
Old 5th October 2011, 13:30   #150
BHPian

Regarding the spare parts, Toyota has surely gone crazy. Somehow, the music system's remote stopped working so I had it sent to the workshop for repair / replacement. Guess what, the new tiny remote costs about 1800 rs with VAT!

As other people have said, I also had to replace the brake pads between 15k - 20k (wasn't covered under any warranty). And recently, one of the Headlamps has stopped working (estimated cost from workshop: 9k). I didn't spend anything for the maintenance of my previous corolla (sans the periodic service). No more toyota's for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks