Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2010, 09:54   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
I checked again; Altis does *not* have Brake Assist. Regarding rear view mirror, Altis comes with auto-dimming mirror (real good feature), but Civic has normal manual-flip day-and-night rear view mirror.
I think you are right. I couldn't find BA in the Altis brochure or the website. I was assuming it was standard .
Old 14th August 2010, 10:15   #122
Team-BHP Support

Altis does not have BA. That is correct. The extra features I was talking about compared to the Civic are the WIL seats, Auto Day/night mirror, HID lamps with headlamp washers and auto headlamps.

All these may be small features but you really appreciate them being there on long drives.

The auto mirror darkens as soon as a car behind approaches and when there's no light behind goes back to fully clear. You don't have to keep flicking the switch at night especially, always a clear view of the road.

When driving in rains at night if the headlamps get mucky, just spray to clean them, the spray force is really strong. The xenons low beam and the halogen high beam have automatic leveling so you don't have to keep turning the dial to get the best point. You can see the beam adjust in your basement on startup.

The auto headlamps turn on within a few seconds of entering a dark space like basement or tunnel.
Old 14th August 2010, 10:48   #123
PCS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Altis does not have BA. That is correct. The extra features I was talking about compared to the Civic are the WIL seats, Auto Day/night mirror, HID lamps with headlamp washers and auto headlamps.

All these may be small features but you really appreciate them being there on long drives.

The auto mirror darkens as soon as a car behind approaches and when there's no light behind goes back to fully clear. You don't have to keep flicking the switch at night especially, always a clear view of the road.

When driving in rains at night if the headlamps get mucky, just spray to clean them, the spray force is really strong. The xenons low beam and the halogen high beam have automatic leveling so you don't have to keep turning the dial to get the best point. You can see the beam adjust in your basement on startup.

The auto headlamps turn on within a few seconds of entering a dark space like basement or tunnel.

HEY VID 6639 ! HOW IS YOUR COROLLA ALTIS DOING ?

Post some more pics of your car dude. If am not wrong your car is black right ???
Old 16th August 2010, 20:31   #124
Max
BHPian

its perfect car, i would buy it in future with closed eyes however price for airbag version is very high 12,66,000 on road (do not include registration and insurance), i would rather settle for swift dezire with air bags because i only need car to go from point A to point B and swift dezire will do that job for me.

Last edited by Max : 16th August 2010 at 20:45.
Old 17th August 2010, 01:17   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
its perfect car, i would buy it in future with closed eyes however price for airbag version is very high 12,66,000 on road (do not include registration and insurance), i would rather settle for swift dezire with air bags because i only need car to go from point A to point B and swift dezire will do that job for me.
Actually an i10 or Vista with Airbags and ABS will do it for you, so why swift dezire?
Old 17th August 2010, 13:21   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a quick visit to Ravindu Toyota yesterday evening to enquire about the innova. Saw two Corolla Altis diesel being delivered and both were high end versions I think GL One champayne beige and the other pearl white.

No wonder there will waiting period for the diesel. Corolla is bought not for power, but for the other virtues it offers such as hassle free ownership, comfort, etc
Old 20th August 2010, 21:38   #127
h.k
BHPian

Toyota is a Toyota, they are the pioneers to top management technologies and theories of management. say 6sigma, and kaizaan to name a few, Toyota is a company committed to quality no wonder any model of Toyota released in our country so far is a hit, be it the qualis the innova or this may not be true for altis as there was no diesel option for the altis, now this aspect also may change, with the new diesel engined Toyota i am sure it will sell great number.
Old 22nd August 2010, 11:17   #128
BHPian

Corolla is a bad car.

Having driven the latest 1.8 petrol Corollas for at least thousands of kilometers, I can vouch that it's the worst compact sedan I've driven among all the new cars in that segment. The car is very unstable at high speeds and one feels very unsafe in this car. At speeds over 125-130 km/h this car swerves way too much for my liking. The brakes doesn't have enough bite to stop quickly and there have been times when I had to go to shoulder lane to avoid hitting the vehicle in front while braking hard. The fuel efficiency of the petrol car is nothing to write home about either.

Toyota might have a great brand name in India, just like Arrow shirts sell for premium, but the truth is that in most advanced economies no one considers Toyota as the marque reliable brand anymore. That has long gone to Honda.

I wish I could swear in this forum! You can't even get 10 horsepower per 1 lakh rupees or more? This probably is the only mainstream car in India which falls under that category. It truly is high time consumers tell these guys that they can't shortchange Indians like this!
Old 22nd August 2010, 16:20   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ The Toyota Corolla(both Petrol and Diesel) is not a car for one who loves to drive. Last year i drove a Altis P properly, the dynamics are best suited for family use with softly tuned suspension and over assisted steering. With the soft suspension it has more vertical movement than my mediocre Elantra, the ride feels best at low speeds. This car rolls more than any other car in the segment(Optra included), a little fun can be derived from driving this car fast.

But for an average family person who does not care about(or does not even know about) the fun to drive factor and needs a Low maintenance, easy to drive car with Toyota tag this is the right car.

Regarding the reliable tag i beg to differ. The good old Octavia is a extremely dependent car, even most other cars in the segment are as reliable as they should be. So Altis is not the only reliable car in the segment.
Old 22nd August 2010, 21:28   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

@inwester
Seems to be a highly brave statement to make.
'Corolla is bad car'
Nice statement there. Agree about the dynamics bit,it's not german ride and handling but on the same level you don't want that perfect handling sedan to make a big hole in your pocket.Toyota may not be a big brand name in the so so developed world but it's like what maruti is to india. Reliable marque gone to Honda? Am not questioning the reliability of a Honda.No one has the right to do so.
But comparing honda that makes at the most a few models and that to only self driven clientele to Toyota that makes everything from cars to pick up trucks and SUVS that to both private owned and fleet commercial use is not justified.
BTW, corolla D-4D may not offer performance but for indian roads and usages there are more important criterias to be taken care of.
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:08   #131
Senior - BHPian

My experience with the corolla is total satisfactory !!

I drove around 950 kms in the last three days @ Delhi-Jaipur-Ajmer-Jaipur-Delhi when the monsoon was at it's best. At some points of driving visibility was ever less then 5 Mtrs, Due to monsoon Delhi-Jaipur highway it pot holes heaven. But corolla never let me down, I was totally stress free regarding car while driving the car over the potholes & water points. Not only my belief to the car is increased but also the trust towards Toyota.

I do touched 160-170 easily at dry stretches but never found my self into mess while immediate braking or overall stability.

Overall I am very satisfied with my car

Mine is pre-altis corolla with everything stock.
Old 24th August 2010, 09:15   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
My experience with the corolla is total satisfactory !!

I drove around 950 kms in the last three days @ Delhi-Jaipur-Ajmer-Jaipur-Delhi when the monsoon was at it's best. At some points of driving visibility was ever less then 5 Mtrs, Due to monsoon Delhi-Jaipur highway it pot holes heaven. But corolla never let me down, I was totally stress free regarding car while driving the car over the potholes & water points. Not only my belief to the car is increased but also the trust towards Toyota.

I do touched 160-170 easily at dry stretches but never found my self into mess while immediate braking or overall stability.

Overall I am very satisfied with my car

Mine is pre-altis corolla with everything stock.
This is from my experience of driving Corollas for at least 5000 or more kilometers, and not just one car, 3 of them. They absolutely are the worst cars I've driven in recent times (oh, well, apart from Chryslers).
Old 26th August 2010, 23:57   #133
BHPian

Toyota is recalling 1.13 million Corollas/Matirxes.

Toyota recalls 2005-08 model Corollas, Matrix for engine stalling - Drive On: A conversation about the cars and trucks we drive - USATODAY.com
Old 27th August 2010, 11:52   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ The Toyota Corolla(both Petrol and Diesel) is not a car for one who loves to drive. Last year i drove a Altis P properly, the dynamics are best suited for family use with softly tuned suspension and over assisted steering. With the soft suspension it has more vertical movement than my mediocre Elantra, the ride feels best at low speeds. This car rolls more than any other car in the segment(Optra included), a little fun can be derived from driving this car fast.
I would agree with this. I have been eyeing the Corolla for some time - every time I buy a car, the Corolla is always on the shortlist. And somehow, it drops out - not because of price, but because of the driving performance. It has possibly a snob value and a brand; but if you are a performance driver - the car just doesnt cut it. About 8 years ago - I felt the then car was underpowered. The Accent drove better then. Cut to recent times about the Altis - I felt it to be too 'soft' - a bit like a smooth toy car but with soft suspension - totally agree with Anshuman's comments above.

Last edited by Driver2000 : 27th August 2010 at 11:54.
Old 27th August 2010, 11:57   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I drove corolla and camry over 1000 miles. And i agree with you 100%. It has worst suspension setup i have come across. Its totally family oriented and still i wonder what's so good about it that its the best seller for so many years.

I found the 2010 Sonata's and accord's suspension much much better. The ride in camry and corolla was so bouncy at the rear that my friends used to shout at me for driving badly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks