Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:23   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
But tell me, in typical day to day traffic situations, it wouldn't feel too different from any other sedan in its segment from the driver's PoV, right GTO?
Good point. The Cruze & Laura also suffer from turbo-lag in the city (Cruze especially, Laura lesser). However, on the open road, they offer vastly superior performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Like I said earlier-sensible hassle free entry luxury diesel car for Indian market. It will please most of the chauffeur driven people, yet excite none.
Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ My Elantra's mats have a similar hook.
Got a pic to share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I wonder why someone will go for Altis D over Cruz! The only reasons I see is Toyota badge and corolla's image.
Space, space and more space. The Altis is way more comfortable than the quick Cruze. It has decidedly more room, and far better ride quality within the city.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:26   #17
BHPian

I was awaiting this review since this is on my "next car" list. Great Review GTO. The least toyota could have done is make the car more driveable (fiesta of the C+ segment maybe). I really don't care much about 0-100 timing but turbo-lag is a strict no no for me. But this car will sell because of the badge and Toyota reliability and service.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:28   #18
BHPian

Thanks

Thanks for a detailed review GTO.

Hope Toyota brings engine with higher capacity in near future.

As we all know now India loves to move on Diesels.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:30   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Got a pic to share?
Here is the pic. This came off when the cleaner forcibly removed the mats for cleaning, ill fix it back and post another pic with mat soon.

Toyota Corolla Altis (1.4 D-4D) Diesel : Test Drive & Review-photo187.jpg
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:32   #20
BANNED

Thanks for the wonderful review.

Observed one thing , generally in high segment cars , common stuff like cigarette lighter, cup holder etc are always covered unlike in entry cars. No doubt to maintain overall theme and looks.

Hooks to hold foot mats, goggle holder etc - why cant entry/mid cars have them? Are these too expensive to incorporate?
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:39   #21
Team-BHP Support

Those hooks for the mats are not there in the Petrol variant.

Does the diesel have drive by wire or is it cable operated?

Like I said in the other thread, extremely practical sedan and will find it's fair share of buyers. I mean look at the FE figures.

Maruti should be looking at this carefully. If the Altis D-4D does well, then I'm sure Maruti will contemplate the SX4 with the 1.3MJD.

ps: the diesel front grill looks sportier than the Petrol. I'm going to see how much it costs. :-)
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:42   #22

GTO, this is the best and most detailed review that I have ever comes across. Thanks so much!! Shared the same with my Dad who's planning to buy the new Altis.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review Rush !! Im just hoping the 1.4 diesel in Altis does'nt motivate other manufacturers to plonk their already existing diesel in a lower segment in C+ segment. Else we shall see a 1.4 TDCI in future Focus model , 1.3 DDIS in Kizashi. I would prefer Toyota giving us a alternative diesel engine after 1.4 is shared with the Etios.
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

The Most "Sensible" C+ sedan available today.
The Corolla Does Everything apart from scorching performance Humbly without any fuss what so ever.
This car should return much better FE that all its competitors(cruze owners in General get a meager 9 in the city).

Surprisingly 14 seconds is not bad considering the amount of criticism people were giving the engine and comparing it to the vgt punto which being lighter is slower to the ton.

This is going to be a Big Trend IMO, after the success of the altis .Putting Small Fuel efficient Engines in larger car will be a strategy adopted by many Car manufacturers .

As always ,space is supreme compared to its rather cramped rivals. This car is one of the best chauffeur driven cars out there.

P.S excellent effort GTO! I know it takes a lot of time and effort to make time for doing comprehensive reviews for people whose primary profession is not related to the Automobile industry(assumed )

Last edited by vinaydas : 2nd August 2010 at 13:08.
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:12   #25
BHPian

For an engine that punny, isnt this car a bit costly?
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:21   #26
BHPian

Thanks GTO for an excellent review.

It is shocking that Toyota has removed many features from the diesel version, relative to the petrol Altis, like the 8 way powered driver seat adjustment, lumbar support (not even manual), rear windscreen sunshade, cruise control and the optional automatic transmission. These were great features except for the cruise control which I find useless in Indian driving conditions. The auto box is great, very smooth and a boon in the crowded NCR region. Although here also Toyota saved costs by providing a 4 speeder instead of at least a 5 speeder.

Toyota seems to be learning from bad habits of Honda of "Providing least value at maximum price". However I doubt that the D-4D will replicate the success of NHC because NHC had no competition in its segment while Altis faces some very worthy competitors and Customers have also become more demanding and have started looking beyond the 'mileage' factor.

However as a no nonsense, comfortable and practical car with least cost of ownership, Altis Diesel seems to be an unbeatable car at the moment.

Last edited by akj53 : 2nd August 2010 at 13:23.
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:31   #27
Joy
BHPian

As always, wonderful review GTO. I specially liked your "smaller yet significant things" in all your reviews. Crisp & precise.

Simply Awesome.
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review.

An AT may never come in diesel engine as an AT with 1.4 liter will not find many takers. Even Hyundai when launched AT on i20 did that on 1.4 liter engine and not on 1.2

Why not an AT in the innova now !

I liked the flat bed on the rear portion, very much like civic and the headlamp washers, hadnt seen them in action till now. Good picture.

I have a question, how will this car perform on steep slopes with AC on and full load ? Like going to a parking lot in the mall with 5 people in it and AC on. Hope, it will go smoothly.
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Personally, the only use case for this car is chauffeur driven or as a Taxi. I doubt if anyone spending 13L+ to drive would prefer to drive a car which is so slow. While i wish it doesn't get as much success to teach Toyota a good lesson to release cars here with good engine options (especially when they charge a premium), i am more or less sure that it will go on to become a hit because of the brand name and hassle free experience.

GTO - as always a through review, and brilliantly written!
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:02   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

A Small capacity diesel with huge turbo lag and six gears is not a very comfortable to drive combo. The Altis D makes sense only for those who want a chauffeur driven car or allergic to performance.

Even the Skoda Laura has FE figure of 20kpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Excellent review.

An AT may never come in diesel engine as an AT with 1.4 liter will not find many takers. Even Hyundai when launched AT on i20 did that on 1.4 liter engine and not on 1.2
OT: Hyundai's AT saps too much power. TD a Verna CRDi AT and i20 AT check it out. The i20 1.4MT is slower than even 1.2MT. Hyundai's range of AT gearboxes sold in India are inefficient and dated.

Most Viewed