Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:08   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Atlast a comprehensive review of the 'next hot seller' of the market from toyota.The germans will be finished atleast for the chauffeur driven market!
Wonder if the same engine is going to be plonked into the etios straightaway,with the same tuning and 6 speed box!(WICKED!!!)
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:31   #47
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Excellent Review Rush !! Im just hoping the 1.4 diesel in Altis does'nt motivate other manufacturers to plonk their already existing diesel in a lower segment in C+ segment. Else we shall see a 1.4 TDCI in future Focus model , 1.3 DDIS in Kizashi. I would prefer Toyota giving us a alternative diesel engine after 1.4 is shared with the Etios.
Exactly that is what my fears are. 1 or 2 years down the line, when I am going for a car in this segment, I might be having choose between laura with 1.6tdi or 1.3 DDIS Kizashi .

The day the corolla came out with 1.4L may be a day to mourn for us enthusiasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't think so. Not everyone has a brand like Toyota that can pull it off.
But that logic usually does not work here in India.
This is the general logic at play:
If company A have good sales with Model B, sporting a XX.XX Litre engine at Rs. YY.YYLakhs
then we will introduce our competing model sporting an engine capacity nearest to XX.XX Litres at around Rs. YY.YY Lakhs
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:20   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What issues?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...y-problem.html

This whole master key / sub key thing is a PAIN when your keys start throwing up issues. I just got a new one made for some 2.5k and it was just annoying. Mine's not even the one with the buttons integrated.
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:27   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

I noticed a Petrol Altis today, it has 1.8 mentioned at the rear but the Diesel just comes with a D4-D badge at rear. Similarly none of the commercials have anything mentioned about displacement or Power.

On the other side where the Fortuner has a healthy 170bhp power output, they sing about it everywhere.
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:30   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Exactly that is what my fears are. 1 or 2 years down the line, when I am going for a car in this segment, I might be having choose between laura with 1.6tdi or 1.3 DDIS Kizashi .

The day the corolla came out with 1.4L may be a day to mourn for us enthusiasts.
I have a strong feeling that a bigger engine will follow soon. This is primarily to capture the back-benchers market.

Probably this was the fastest (much delayed) option they had with diesel?
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:32   #51
Senior - BHPian

I guess Toyota's aim is squarely at the backseat riders. Whoever buys this only cares for being driven around comfortably and without spending thousands on fuel. So where Cruze and other competitors lack (comfort), Toyota is the king. Also, I think people will opt for this for the pain free ownership experience of Toyota, which is a significant departure from the other diesel competitors in the segment.
As far as I can see, Toyota has a few aces up their sleeve with the Altis D4D, let's see how the market reacts.

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 2nd August 2010 at 20:39.
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:55   #52
Senior - BHPian

waw, finally Altis diesel TD report is out. Thanks very much GTO for sharing. Neutral looking design with reliable Toyota badge and diesel heart is a neat combination IMHO. "For country obsessed with mileage" (I am borrowing MSILs tag line here) I am sure the chauffer driven Premium segment will like this car.

Just for comparison sake, how is back seat of Altis when compared to Manza?
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:40   #53
BHPian

A most excellent review GTO! Again, thanks for the time and effort to diligently bring us review after great review.

I was personally hoping for an engine spec similar to the Innova in the Altis Diesel. ~100 bhp sounds a bit more like a C+ segmenter, but alas. I guess it is only Toyota and Honda who can get away with such stuff in this segment.

I would not be surprised if fleet owners might plump for the Innova instead of the Altis diesel - more power, more space, equal billing in terms of brand. However I'd guess a lot of companies will go in for the Altis D for their management executives just for the image.

I hope Toyota puts the same engine D4D with similar specs in the Etios twins and I'll be a happy customer
Old 2nd August 2010, 22:00   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Smaller yet significant things:
Nice : Hooks to hold the floor mats in place. Not Nice : They remain exposed!
A 5 star review. Thanks GTO..it is just what I was waiting for. The attention to detail in your 'small but insignificant things' section is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I hope it has nothing to do with the floor mat recall in the US. Never observed the hook that closely but a great safety feature.
It is probably just that which forced these guys to sit up and take notice of the seemingly smaller but insignificant things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Those hooks for the mats are not there in the Petrol variant.
I didnt get a set of mat hooks either! I requested them from Toyota thru email when the recall fiasco happened earlier this year...and guess what? No response to that request!

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments, guys.
These are well deserved GTO. Thanks for putting up a stellar write up.

Cheers!
Old 2nd August 2010, 22:46   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You bet it does! 1/2 of my sunday gone
If this is worth half a day's work, I wonder what two days of testing shall be like...

The attention to detail coupled with amazing coverage of each feature is a hallmark of your Drive Impressions.

I am loving it.
Old 2nd August 2010, 23:01   #56
BHPian

Thank you GTO for the great review.Many of my friends (non Bhpians) were waiting for this.I think a guy who is upgrading from NHC to Altis diesel won't be concerned about the 1.4 D-4D engine.Those who like powerful petrol engines (eg: iVTEC,Ford 1.6 etc) will be disappointed.

But I am really shocked to find the base model costing 11 lakh is lacking Airbags.
Old 3rd August 2010, 00:23   #57
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful review, GTO! It has become a de-facto when you post a review, the class goes without saying.

Quote:
Toyota equips the fully loaded Altis diesel with ... HID headlamps with washers
They say you can tell a lot by a person’s eyes. This fella looks straight-forward, eh? Jokes apart, HID headlamps and washers:
Umm.. I don't see projectors in the headlamp - is Toyota giving HID headlights without a projector? Or is it halogen headlights, and not HID Xenons?
Old 3rd August 2010, 00:45   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Its the HID lamps without the projector, just for the low beam. The high beam are normal halogen lamps.

In Contrast the Fortuner has projectors but it does not have HID/Xenon lamps.
Old 3rd August 2010, 01:06   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ Its the HID lamps without the projector, just for the low beam. The high beam are normal halogen lamps.
That's surprising, HID without projectors will scatter light all over and blind the oncoming traffic. The HID ballast and bulbs together are costlier than than a pair of projectors! Weird!
Old 3rd August 2010, 01:49   #60
Senior - BHPian

Not really. If you have a clear lens that'r made of glass (not PC), you should be fine for HID retrofit.

This one of course is OEM so all that would be verified.

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd August 2010 at 21:51.

Most Viewed